Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
My ASCII Pad 64 Collection; Different colors and comparisons
Topic Started: Nov 14 2010, 12:54 PM (11,025 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
For those of you who don't know about the ASCII Pad 64, click here to read Alxbly's review of this controller.

:n64: My ASCII Collection as of 01-08-2011

Posted Image

Click HERE to go to the full gallery.

Let's do some comparisons of the colors to the regular N64 controllers... :eh:

Silver ASCII vs. Millennium 2000

Posted Image

Gold ASCII vs. Gold/Nintendo Power 100

Posted Image

Clear Blue ASCII vs. Grape/Ice/Japan Clear Blue

Posted Image

Clear Red ASCII vs. Watermelon/Japan Clear Red

Posted Image

Clear Black ASCII vs. Smoke/Jusco 30th Edition

Posted Image

:n64: What Other Colors Are There?
I am currently missing only 1 color that I know exists - a (metallic) black. The picture below (left) is from Alxbly who has 1 of that color. The picture on the right is from PlayAsia. There is no way for me to confirm/deny this, but I want to say that there is 1 more color that hasn't been found. The reason is because I believe the last color would have a red plug, so that there is an even number of controllers. Currently there are 6 ASCII controllers with blue plugs, and another 5 with red.

UPDATED COLOR LIST HERE.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
:omg: LOVE IT!

Do you know why the silver and mauve controllers have a blue port? and the gold one has a red port?

-Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)

kami of time
Member Avatar
Established Member
Yeah I noticed that as well. that is pretty odd lol but cool!!!
When in doubt, START-A+B+Z+R.

My Youtube Channel!!

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Wow that is so odd! I wonder if it is easy to replace those cords if we wanted. I do not remember if it would be easy as the last time I opened a controller up I did not pay attention to the port cord.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Yeah i too find it odd. But you think if someone was going to paint it and make it seem more rare they would remember to paint the port as well. That way it would look more official.

And as for replacing the chords, i think the only way to do that is to replace the whole motherboard (Or whatever that things called) The only way to remove the actual wire is to rip it off this board.

-Corey
American

Japanese

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Coorsy101

Do you know why the silver and mauve controllers have a blue port? and the gold one has a red port?
The cord + plug on the ASCII controllers is a very distinctive part of these controllers, and is worth discussing. First, the plugs come in 2 colors: blue and a red/pink. There are no other colors, and every ASCII controller has one of the 2 colors. Second, from all of the pictures that I have seen of the ASCII controllers on website and auction pages, the color of the plugs stay consistent with the controller - that means a Silver ASCII controller will always have a blue plug and never a red/pink.

Here is a list of the controllers and what color plugs they have:
Blue:
- Silver
- Mauve
- Black
- Clear Blue
- Clear Black
- Blue Marble

Red/Pink:
- Gold
- Clear Red
- Clear White
- Red Marble
- White

lithium017
Nov 15 2010, 12:20 AM
Wow that is so odd! I wonder if it is easy to replace those cords if we wanted. I do not remember if it would be easy as the last time I opened a controller up I did not pay attention to the port cord.
It is NOT possible to replace the cords. As with any regular N64 controller, the cords are attached/soldered to the motherboards that are inside the controllers. While it is possible to change out the controller motherboards to swap it with a different color, it is actually MUCH more difficult on the ASCII controllers because there is a 2nd motherboard inside the controller. The 2nd motherboard is responsible for the turbo functions of the controller, and is attached/soldered to the main motherboard. So because of this, it is impossible to swap out the motherboards + cord/plug of the ASCII controllers.

I will take a picture of the next ASCII controller I open up to clean, and show you this 2nd motherboard - although you can kind of see it already behind the turbo buttons on the clear controllers.

" - MK II

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up Glen! I didnt even notice how they are either blue or red on the other controllers.

And im sure if your talented with soldering you could carefully remove the wires and replace them. You would need a very sharp eye and even a steadier hand. To me, the risk outweighs the reward.

-Corey
American

Japanese

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Collection has been updated (12/4/10) and the current ASCII count is at 8.

#9 and #10 are on the way from Japan. The total number of different color ASCII's identified in the world stands at 11 as of right now.

" - MK II

otakuzoku
Hi all,
I've just purchased two of these from Japan, a clear pink (which I assume is the red one pictured above) pad, and one which is two-tone, clear white on top and clear navy blue on the bottom. This latter one doesn't seem to be listed above - I assume it isn't the clear white one (as that one does not appear to be two-tone in the picture of the boxed unit above)?

Can anyone help me to identify it?

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
My only assumption would be that someone switched out the back. The solid colors all seem to be 2 tone, yet the clear versions seem to be straight thru.

Does the clear navy blue bottom match the color of the clear blue controller pictured above?

Pictures would most likely help in confirming :yeah:

-Corey
Edited by Coorsy101, Jan 7 2011, 12:05 PM.
American

Japanese

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
otakuzoku
Jan 7 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi all,
I've just purchased two of these from Japan, a clear pink (which I assume is the red one pictured above) pad, and one which is two-tone, clear white on top and clear navy blue on the bottom. This latter one doesn't seem to be listed above - I assume it isn't the clear white one (as that one does not appear to be two-tone in the picture of the boxed unit above)?

Otakuzoku, could you take some pictures of it to be posted online so we can see what you described?

Not to sound self-centered :-8 but as the world's most complete collector of ASCII controllers, I'd have to say that your clear pink sounds like an original and genuine ASCII controller. However the 2nd one that you described, clear white and clear navy, sounds like someone switched out the bottom of the controller. The ASCII's are either 1.) full clear - same color on both top and bottom or 2.) two-toned but the bottom is always a solid black.

So far, I've identified and own 4 of the full clear colors. I've identified 7 different two-toned colors, and I have 6 of them. Let me know if you have any other questions :mario:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
New picture up, my collection is now 10 out of 11 known colors. I just have the metallic black color to collect :blasphemy bat:

" - MK II

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
is that bat suggesting you would beat someone up for it!? :o

-Corey
Edited by Coorsy101, Jan 9 2011, 07:51 PM.
American

Japanese

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Coorsy101
Jan 9 2011, 07:50 PM
is that bat suggesting you would beat someone up for it!? :o
Depends... we'll see. :phear:

" - MK II

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Coorsy101
Nov 15 2010, 01:01 PM
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up Glen! I didnt even notice how they are either blue or red on the other controllers.

And im sure if your talented with soldering you could carefully remove the wires and replace them. You would need a very sharp eye and even a steadier hand. To me, the risk outweighs the reward.

-Corey
Changing a the cord on an N64 controller is a very simple and straight forward procedure. It's just a case of soldering three wires, data, + 3.3v and -

If anyone would like this done then I would be more than happy to help. I like to think that I'm pretty nifty at soldering and have several yrs or experience.

I recently repaired my gamecube controller as it had frayed at the controller end. Opened up the controller, unsoldered the cord from the PCB board, cut off the frayed section and then resolder the cord back to the PCB. The GameCube has 5 wires though.

Keep up the good work Glen! I'm looking forward to seeing what you will collect next once your controller collection is complete.
Edited by clarky_n64, Jan 10 2011, 10:07 AM.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Changing a the cord on an N64 controller is a very simple and straight forward procedure

it certainly isnt impossible as some would suggest.. the entire PCB can be lifted out and the solder points are easy to reach. All you need is a decent solder iron, a bit of practice and a steady hand. Ive done "cord transplants" on SNES controllers. IMHO its such a waste to write off a controller just because the cord is broken.
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Thanks Alex and Mark for you comments. As an electrical engineer I've got a very experienced hand at soldering so I understand the process well and know that this can definitely be done.

However let's stay on the original subject of this topic thread, which is on ASCII controllers. The plugs (red and blue) are key parts and unique identifying aspects of the ASCII controllers, so switching them out is not something that most collectors would probably do. :-X While the thought of painting the plug to match the color is almost acceptable/understandable - for the silver, gold, mauve, and white - I still would personally prefer to have it the original way. And for the 4 clear ASCII controllers, switching them out with a clear blue, clear red, smoke might make sense. No idea what to do about the clear white - as there was never a N64 controller with a plug that matches that color. :eh:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Here is some more info about the ASCII Pad 64 controller. The below information was taken from Nintendo Power, Issue #102 (November 1997) Page 103. I've circled in red the little bit of information that was written about it. The excerpt is from the Tokyo Game Show (September 1997) in Japan.

"ASCII also unveiled its new ASCII Pad 64 controllers in various colors and equipped with turbo on every button."

Posted Image

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Just when I thought I had discovered all of the colors of the ASCII Pad 64...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170837804332 (I bought this one today)

I had known for quite some time that the Clear/Clear Red one existed (link below) because I've seen several auctions for it across eBay, Yahoo! Japan, and a couple other Japan auction places. It only makes sense that the Clear/Clear Blue one is also out there somewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280820034438

otakuzoku
Jan 7 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

This previous post also verifies it... I was ignorant to it when he made the post, didn't think it was real - but it seems like that was actually the first time that anyone's seen one. The Clear/Clear Blue and Clear/Clear Red are definitely added to the list of ones that ASCII released.

This brings the total count of ASCII Pad 64 variations up to 13. 12 of which I have in my collection.
Edited by ddr2nite, May 7 2012, 11:09 AM.

" - MK II

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
ddr2nite

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games and then things kinda got out of hand" - MK II

LOL... im really honoured to have made you sig!
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Mk II
May 7 2012, 11:47 AM
LOL... im really honoured to have made you sig!
I would have preferred if you had said the word "controller" instead of "game" as that is more relevant to me... but close enough :P

And hey, your post had nothing to do with my ASCII collection topic :blasphemy bat:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
:n64: ASCII Pad 64 collection update: 5/26/12 :n64:

Posted Image

Posted Image

" - MK II

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
a lovely jobly and very nicely presented!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
i would seperate the first Clear Blue combo by "Clear/Blue" as a mixed up color, same for Clear/Red.

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
ddr2nite
Jan 7 2011, 01:19 PM
Some ASCII's are two-toned where the bottom is a solid black.

So far, I've identified and own 4 of the full clear colors. I've identified 7 different two-toned colors, and I have 6 of them. Let me know if you have any other questions
Would you care to make a list of these two-toned 'on Black' ASCII controllers as well? I'm sure this would help reassure other collectors that they they're getting an official release.

I'm aware of 3 so far... Blue Marble on Black, Silver on Black and Gold on Black.

Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
danilochka
May 28 2012, 05:54 AM
Would you care to make a list of these two-toned 'on Black' ASCII controllers as well? I'm sure this would help reassure other collectors that they they're getting an official release.

I'm aware of 3 so far... Blue Marble on Black, Silver on Black and Gold on Black.
You have half the list danilochka. If you look carefully at my diagram, you'll see that the coloring of the words basically give away which ones have black backs. There are 7 of them with the black backs (I have 6 of them) and they are:

• silver/black
  • white/black
  • mauve/black
  • gold/black
  • blue marble/black
  • red marble/black
  • black/black (not pictured)

" - MK II

Witeout
Member Avatar
Tony Hawk Legend
Wut's up with all those lil buttons & switches at the top of those controllers? Are they for show as collect items?

Or do they actually have somethin' to do with the controller?

One Shwang, We All Shwang.

Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Witeout
May 28 2012, 12:35 PM
Wut's up with all those lil buttons & switches at the top of those controllers? Are they for show as collect items?

Or do they actually have somethin' to do with the controller?

The buttons are for setting rapid fire on each button. Good for shoot em up and such like games.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Witeout
Member Avatar
Tony Hawk Legend
Nice! I didn't kno that.

Do u know the full list for all the USA controllers?

I'd like to grab them since i'm collecting STRICTLY US games.
One Shwang, We All Shwang.

Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Witeout
May 28 2012, 02:42 PM
Do u know the full list for all the USA controllers?
Please don't hijack my topic - that's against the rules and not very nice :read: If you do enough research on the forums you'll find your answer.

" - MK II

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: