Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
My ASCII Pad 64 Collection; Different colors and comparisons
Topic Started: Nov 14 2010, 12:54 PM (11,098 Views)
danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
ddr2nite

If you look carefully at my diagram, you'll see that the coloring of the words basically give away which ones have black backs

Wow! I see now that the diagram actually depicts both front and back colours, a very clever implementation, well done sir :yeah:

Good luck in your quest for that elusive black one
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Witeout
Member Avatar
Tony Hawk Legend
It was a simple question. Very well then.
One Shwang, We All Shwang.

Posted Image

Yayodelariva
Member Avatar
Not sure if this is a legit ascii pad, but it has a red plug, maybe this and the metallic black are the ones you are missing http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASCII-Pad-Controller-Gold-For-Nintendo-64-Import-JAPAN-Video-Game-1353-/300894727376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460eb92cd0
"Im a super, im a nothing, im a no one going nowhere fast, but i don't care"
ENNOPPS DANCE

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Yayodelariva
May 13 2013, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this is a legit ascii pad, but it has a red plug, maybe this and the metallic black are the ones you are missing http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASCII-Pad-Controller-Gold-For-Nintendo-64-Import-JAPAN-Video-Game-1353-/300894727376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460eb92cd0
Yayo, the auction link you posted is for a "gold" ASCII pad. It is pretty common and I already have 2 of them.

Just to close out this topic... my ASCII pad collection is now already completed. I have acquired all colors (13 different ones) that I have ever seen on the internet.

Completed ASCII Collection:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by ddr2nite, May 13 2013, 11:24 AM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Any chance you post a close up of the metallic black? love to see that one . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
May 13 2013, 11:34 AM
Any chance you post a close up of the metallic black? love to see that one . . . .
Ask and you shall receive ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

" - MK II

Cabanon
Elite
when did you acquired it ? I thougth you were still missing it !

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Cabanon
May 13 2013, 12:37 PM
when did you acquired it ? I thougth you were still missing it !
I got it near the beginning of 2013... so my ASCII Pad 64 collection is done (until new information proves there are more out there that I don't have!)
Edited by ddr2nite, May 13 2013, 01:22 PM.

" - MK II

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Congrats on the full collection!

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Yes congrats indeed Glen. I'm glad the black one showed up in the end.

This proves that patience does actually pay off in the end :)
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
clarky_n64
May 14 2013, 01:28 AM
This proves that patience does actually pay off in the end :)
You guys want to know the most ironic/interesting part of the story? When this one showed up, there was also another auction that also had it. So all of a sudden, 2 of them appeared! It was good because it gave me a backup plan in case I didn't win the first one (which I did).

" - MK II

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
That metallic black one looks really awesome.

Congratulations on the Complete set ddr :yeah:
Edited by Phantom, May 14 2013, 11:11 AM.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Good for you DDR2 :)

Isn't it just great when you really want something and then more than one pop up!? Eitherway, I hope you learn that there is another type of ASCII controller so you'll have another sneaky variant to track down :yeah:
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
YogurtStorm
May 14 2013, 11:11 AM
I hope you learn that there is another type of ASCII controller so you'll have another sneaky variant to track down :yeah:
I'm both scared and excited at the same time that there might be at least 1 more color out there... 13 is a really odd number and doesn't make sense to me. That's just my theory, and I've tried contacting ASCII in the past about this subject (how many different ones were released) but they never got back to me -_-

" - MK II

flmadness
Member Avatar
not the droid you're looking for
thats awesome!! congrats!!!

Cabanon
Elite
very happy for you Glen. im slowly acquiring them, 1 by 1 with a set price in mind. I will not go higher than that cuz im cheap and I dont see much value in them. Boxed is a different price but the 1st one I acuired was boxed and :cussfit: cheap ! lol

if you see anything cheaper enough over YAJ, lemme know, i might bit the dust and buy some.

macN64
Member Avatar
I was window shopping around Yahoo Japan and came across this page for what I'm pretty sure is a "mauve" coloured ASCII controller:
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w86240753

I noticed that the plug of this controller is red/pink (see the top left of the third image), whereas the mauve controller that ddr2nite owns has a blue plug. This would seem to go against an assertion made earlier in this topic:
ddr2nite

Second, from all of the pictures that I have seen of the ASCII controllers on website and auction pages, the color of the plugs stay consistent with the controller - that means a Silver ASCII controller will always have a blue plug and never a red/pink.
ddr2nite

Here is a list of the controllers and what color plugs they have:
Blue:
- Silver
- Mauve
- Black
- Clear Blue
- Clear Black
- Blue Marble

Red/Pink:
- Gold
- Clear Red
- Clear White
- Red Marble
- White

I'm just flagging this up in case it's a new discovery. :unsure:
Youtube

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Hmm that's interesting macN64. I've already seen that listing on Yahoo for that same controller you posted - and I know that the seller also has another clear red/pink one for sale. The clear red/pink has a red plug - perhaps that's the plug that shows up in the photo? Maybe it got crossed up when he was taking the picture? You can't say for 100% certainty that the plug you see on the Mauve controller photo actually belongs to it (but it might). I'm still pretty certain that all plugs stay consistent with the controller colors, but then again you never know unless you have the controller in front of you. All ASCII controller colors I've come across up to this point in my collecting has stayed consistent.

" - MK II

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@ddr2nite: before torturing yourself over whether to buy this on the off-chance a variant exists, please consider the possibility that someone switched out the original shell or the board to create a Mauve/Red plug combo. I know you are probably three steps ahead of me here, but as White Goodman might say, now you know I know what you know.

Posted Image
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
LOL I love the Dodgeball reference! I prefer to think of myself as a "take the bull by the horns" kind of guy :P

Posted Image

Nah, I'm not even blinking twice at this. If it was a discussion of a different color altogether of the controller itself, I might consider buying it. But the plug? As you pointed out bluedog, it could very well have a possibility of a Frankenstein-switch of the guts*.

*As a side note, I've taken apart an ASCII controller for the sake of cleaning it, and trust me - it has about TWICE the parts of a regular N64 controller because of all the turbo switches. It even has an extra mini-board that controls the turbo logic inside. It took me a couple times to figure out the right process to disassemble and then properly reassemble the whole thing. It's not easy, and can get very confusing.
Edited by ddr2nite, Jun 4 2013, 04:13 PM.

" - MK II

Cabanon
Elite
I might have found another one. its currently in my contact hand and waiting to be shipped to me. im not saying any color until I get it. should be in a week or 2.

Cabanon
Elite
Cabanon
Oct 25 2015, 06:15 AM
I might have found another one. its currently in my contact hand and waiting to be shipped to me. im not saying any color until I get it. should be in a week or 2.
so here it is. ASCII color #14 http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8191671&t=7378241

Houghton0609
Love that colour!!

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Great find! Amazing that new stuff pops up again and again after all these years
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I just wanted to make a quick bump to this thread (an oldie but a goodie) for me to properly acknowledge and congratulate @Cabanon on getting that metallic blue ASCII controller.

For what it's worth, it was somewhat on my radar years ago when I was very actively hunting different versions of the ASCII pad on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I've seen pictures of this version, but was never really able to 100% confirm if it's a variation (due to lighting and glare from the camera) of the metallic black version. I did save a picture of 1 auction which had unfortunately ended years ago, which looks like this:

Posted Image

It looks pretty much identical to the one that Cabanon has acquired, so it's now officially confirmed that there are a total of 14 versions. I'm out on the hunt again to find this one metallic blue (with blue plug) to complete my collection!

" - MK II

nintendo143
So, are these authentic or licensed Nintendo?

Cabanon
Elite
ddr2nite
Feb 23 2016, 11:29 AM
I just wanted to make a quick bump to this thread (an oldie but a goodie) for me to properly acknowledge and congratulate @Cabanon on getting that metallic blue ASCII controller.

For what it's worth, it was somewhat on my radar years ago when I was very actively hunting different versions of the ASCII pad on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I've seen pictures of this version, but was never really able to 100% confirm if it's a variation (due to lighting and glare from the camera) of the metallic black version. I did save a picture of 1 auction which had unfortunately ended years ago, which looks like this:

It looks pretty much identical to the one that Cabanon has acquired, so it's now officially confirmed that there are a total of 14 versions. I'm out on the hunt again to find this one metallic blue (with blue plug) to complete my collection!
thank you Glen. If I see one, i'll let you know and if you see a Black one, lemme know :)

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
I just wanted to make a quick bump to this thread (an oldie but a goodie) for me to properly acknowledge and congratulate @Cabanon on getting that metallic blue ASCII controller.<br /><br />For what it's worth, it was somewhat on my radar years ago when I was very actively hunting different versions of the ASCII pad on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I've seen pictures of this version, but was never really able to 100% confirm if it's a variation (due to lighting and glare from the camera) of the metallic black version. I did save a picture of 1 auction which had unfortunately ended years ago, which looks like this:<br /><br />Posted Image<br /><br />It looks pretty much identical to the one that Cabanon has acquired, so it's now officially confirmed that there are a total of 14 versions. I'm out on the hunt again to find this one metallic blue (with blue plug) to complete my collection!
ddr2nite

Posted Image

So I definitely found another ASCII variant today. I bought because I thought it was an upgrade for my silver one but turns out it's a metallic teal! I'll try and upload a pic

SoloJones64
Established Member
So I always have trouble uploading pics here but I sent one to see on eBay and one to sixtyformula on ig. This has to be a confirmed 15th variant once you all get a chance to take a look! I need mauve, all clear, black and metallic blue to complete my set!

Cabanon
Elite
hey, you can it to me on twitter @cabanongh if you can. im eager to see it.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: