Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
My ASCII Pad 64 Collection; Different colors and comparisons
Topic Started: Nov 14 2010, 12:54 PM (11,861 Views)
SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
Feb 23 2016, 11:29 AM
I just wanted to make a quick bump to this thread (an oldie but a goodie) for me to properly acknowledge and congratulate @Cabanon on getting that metallic blue ASCII controller.<br /><br />For what it's worth, it was somewhat on my radar years ago when I was very actively hunting different versions of the ASCII pad on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I've seen pictures of this version, but was never really able to 100% confirm if it's a variation (due to lighting and glare from the camera) of the metallic black version. I did save a picture of 1 auction which had unfortunately ended years ago, which looks like this:<br /><br />Posted Image<br /><br />It looks pretty much identical to the one that Cabanon has acquired, so it's now officially confirmed that there are a total of 14 versions. I'm out on the hunt again to find this one metallic blue (with blue plug) to complete my collection!
ddr2nite
Feb 23 2016, 11:29 AM
I just wanted to make a quick bump to this thread (an oldie but a goodie) for me to properly acknowledge and congratulate @Cabanon on getting that metallic blue ASCII controller.

For what it's worth, it was somewhat on my radar years ago when I was very actively hunting different versions of the ASCII pad on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I've seen pictures of this version, but was never really able to 100% confirm if it's a variation (due to lighting and glare from the camera) of the metallic black version. I did save a picture of 1 auction which had unfortunately ended years ago, which looks like this:

Posted Image

It looks pretty much identical to the one that Cabanon has acquired, so it's now officially confirmed that there are a total of 14 versions. I'm out on the hunt again to find this one metallic blue (with blue plug) to complete my collection!
So I definitely found another ASCII variant today. I bought because I thought it was an upgrade for my silver one but turns out it's a metallic teal! I'll try and upload a pic
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoloJones64
Established Member
So I always have trouble uploading pics here but I sent one to see on eBay and one to sixtyformula on ig. This has to be a confirmed 15th variant once you all get a chance to take a look! I need mauve, all clear, black and metallic blue to complete my set!

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
May 25 2016, 06:34 PM
hey, you can it to me on twitter @cabanongh if you can. im eager to see it.
I dont have Twitter lol. Do you have ig?
KelamyAUS
May 25 2016, 07:48 PM
SoloJones64, is this the same colour as you mentioned? I sold one at the start of April.

Posted Image
Posted Image

That's it but mine has a red plug!
Edited by SoloJones64, May 25 2016, 08:36 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Posted Image
Posted Image.

You can see the red plug
Edited by SoloJones64, May 25 2016, 11:03 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
May 26 2016, 10:32 PM
very cool ! where did you pick it up ?
Ebay for 20 bucks. I thought it was a silver and it was listed as silver. I wanted it as an upgrade for my crappy quality silver I have. It was super late in the mail with no tracking. i asked the seller for my money back so i need to go give it back to him now lol. Imagine my surprise when I open it and discover a brand new color, one that makes a 15th confirmed ascii! woohoo! I need metallic black metallic blue, clear and mauve if anyone has an extra!

SoloJones64
Established Member
bluedogrulez
May 27 2016, 09:50 AM
What great happenstance!! That color is unique and amazing. The fact that we have two of these metallic teal's reported with different plug (plus the apparent rarity) makes me wonder if this was the final run of the ASCII pad . . . just throw whatever's left in there (as we have seen on Big N licensed N64 consoles)....

Thank you Cabanon, KelAmyAUS and SoloJones for sharing all of this with us.
That very well may be because Ive never seen the same color with different color plugs. They are extremely consistent from what I have seen. But it makes me wonder how many more colors there are that we just haven't uncovered yet....
Cabanon
May 27 2016, 05:23 AM
call that lucky ! what was the ebay link ? im surprized I didnt see it. maybe it was badly listed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111978714534?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here it is. It was listed as silver and it looked silver in the pic. Like I said I got it as an upgrade for my silver and BAM! New color discovered lol
Edited by SoloJones64, May 27 2016, 03:24 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
May 27 2016, 05:23 AM
call that lucky ! what was the ebay link ? im surprized I didnt see it. maybe it was badly listed.
I sent you a PM but I am not sure if it went through. Did you get it?

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
May 29 2016, 07:57 PM
yes sorry, wasn't online for the last 3 days, super busy.

and seeing that ebay link is why I didn't even look at it. not that I know this color exist, i'll looking more carefully next time, ehhe !
Yeah I'm sure glad I wanted a silver upgrade haha!

SoloJones64
Established Member
so I may have found another new color. Im not sure yet. the japanese seller was vague about the color but it seems as though this one may be a dark greenish kind of color. Will post pictures when I get it in hopefully in a week or two.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Posted Image

So I got this today. The listing had it as soft pink. It looks a little different from the mauve, right? Could be a new color. Red plug.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jun 22 2016, 06:53 AM
nope, it's mauve/violet. mine is same.
Ok cool I wasn't sure! Glad to know that
No64DD
Jun 22 2016, 09:14 AM
But it is in excellent shape. It sure goes nice with the Teal controller!
I agree! I'm only missing metallic blue now! Until a new one pops up...lol. I just find it weird there were no green ones. They seem to stick to shades of blue and red mostly
Edited by SoloJones64, Jun 22 2016, 05:43 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
So, guys, I've never seen a mauve ascii in person. I want anyone who has one to take a pic and post it. I just want to confirm that mauve and soft pink are the same controller. I posted the soft pink and here's the other angle mauve. Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jun 24 2016, 05:34 AM
the one on the bottom looks more gold than soft pink. it's probably just the angle. These are same controller, just different angle/lightning
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ok, awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks for appeasing me lol

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jun 24 2016, 08:32 PM
however, If you plug is red, how come mine is blue ?
Well, we have seen plug variation in the new teal color I discovered as well. I found the red plug and that other guy who sold one, his had a blue plug. So I think it is safe to say that the old belief that plug color stays uniform is no longer accurate.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Here's another mauve ascii pad on yahoo japan auctions if anyone needs one, another red plug. Furthering the proof that plug color is not consistent to controller color as previously thought.

Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jun 28 2016, 05:25 PM
ok so I've just moved out and I was doing some clean up of my boxes and upon further inspection, my white seams to be the Metallic Teal. I really look like white on top but as soon as you check it out more with sunlight, its really not White.

So I guess Im back on the hunt for a white one.
Can you post a pic? Because in hand the teal I have could never be mistaken for a white one.
Also, what is this? Cabanon showed me and it looks like an ascii but with shorter handles. Not as many turbo switches either but it does have a the blue controller plug.

Posted Image
Edited by SoloJones64, Jun 28 2016, 09:00 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jun 29 2016, 06:49 AM
Hudson Joy Card. these controller unlock a special stage in Bomberman if I'm correct, don't know which one tho.
Ohhhh ok I've heard of the bomber man thing. Hey can you post a pic of your teal please?

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Jul 6 2016, 06:44 PM
ok, so here's the TEAL I have, I think. the paper is white but the controller is clearly not. unless ddr2nite can deny this statement ?
Posted Image

also, update photo of my current collection.
Posted Image
No, that's the white. It has that pearl paint on it so it changes color. Definitely not the teal. You still need the teal. That's 100% the pearl white.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Yeah that price is comical lol

SoloJones64
Established Member
Posted Image
Just got my metallic blue in today! Just need metallic black to complete the known set! I had 2 metallic black ordered from the same seller and they never arrived. Who knows how long before I find another
Edited by SoloJones64, Aug 17 2016, 10:53 AM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
You'll be the first to know! Same with metallic black!
Edited by SoloJones64, Aug 17 2016, 01:25 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
Oct 3 2016, 01:21 PM
Cabanon
Oct 3 2016, 07:32 AM
so who's the lucky winner of that 1$ boxed clear pink controller ? I completely missed the deadline last night and i really hope it's someone here that got it.
It wasn't me... I had it in my watch list and missed it as well. The box itself doesn't look to be in great condition (I can see some rips to the front & back of the box) so I guess that's why I didn't have it committed to my memory or set an alarm.

I recently also had a slightly "bad" experience from buying a boxed ASCII controller from yamatoku on EBay. I purchased a boxed Silver controller, but when it arrived and I had a chance to take a closer look at the serial number of the box, I was disappointed to find that the box itself was actually for a Gold. So basically what must have happened was that someone swapped the controller and put the Silver controller inside the box which had the serial number & product code for a Gold.

In case anyone is wondering, I have a running list of barcodes/serial numbers + ASCII part numbers that has been built from images and my own personal collection. In case anyone wants to have a deeper discussion (Cabanon is probably the only person) I can share my list/database and we can continue building that data together.
No I'd be interested as well. I think all 3 of us have 14 of the 15 known colors. I'm missing metallic black and yall are missing the metallic blue if I'm not mistaken!

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
Oct 4 2016, 09:32 AM
SoloJones64
Oct 3 2016, 11:33 PM
No I'd be interested as well. I think all 3 of us have 14 of the 15 known colors. I'm missing metallic black and yall are missing the metallic blue if I'm not mistaken!
I'm only missing the metallic teal. You're missing metallic black, and Cabanon is missing the metallic teal & black. All 3 of us have the metallic blue at this point (I got mine from Cabanon, he had 2 of them).
Sorry, yes I was referring to the metallic teal when I said blue. I had 2 black ordered from Japan and they never came. I honestly think someone backdoored me after I paid. I've never had a package just not show up.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Houghton0609
Oct 5 2016, 09:55 AM
I think these are next on my list, so if you guys have any spare I would be very interested, especially any cib.
i sold my only extra. not exactly the kinds of things you buy doubles of unless theyre the rare ones! That's just me anyway.

SoloJones64
Established Member
Cabanon
Oct 7 2016, 12:26 PM
ddr2nite
Oct 7 2016, 11:35 AM
Also another very interesting thing is that the Clear Gray (full) version of the controller has been seen in both versions of the boxes - the cardboard type as well as the clear plastic type. I've got pictures with matching barcodes to verify, which makes things a bit confusing and intriguing at the same time.
im curious to see this

EDIT: found this for the Black one http://www.play-asia.com/ascii-pad-64/13/701f80 interesting enough, there's Japanese text once translated give us "New color "Green Pearl" lineup in the popular "ASCII pad 64". For 3D stick thumb supporters "thumb-kun 2" included." Could it be the Metallica Teal we're talking about ?

EDIT 2: while browsing, I found this very interesting info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agetec which seems to point to this http://www.agetec.com/ and they seems to be still alive. I wonder if anyone could message them and ask if they have any idea bout these controller ever making it to the US market and/if or they know about the various colour available.
Where did you find that text that translated to pearl green? and, yes, that is probably the metallic teal I have. Also, I just sent agetec an email inquiring about the ASCII pads.

SoloJones64
Established Member
danilochka
Oct 12 2016, 05:22 PM
This kind of thing is definitely something I have a geeky interest in. I've spent the night searching for various JANs [Japanese Article Numbering] and found 19 that correspond to ASCII Pad 64 models, so make of that what you will. There's also some different names that seem to keep cropping up so I've included them, however there's no guarantee they are official, others I haven't a clue how to translate from the kanji:

• 4988606101320 - Blue Marble
  • 4988606101337 - Pink Marble (aka Red Marble)
  • 4988606101351 - Clear Red
  • 4988606101344 - Crystal Blue (aka Clear Blue)

• 4988606101658 - Clear White
  • 4988606101665 - Skeleton Black (aka Clear Gray)
  • 4988606101672 - Gold
  • 4988606101689 - Silver
  • 4988606101696 - Clear on Clear Blue
  • 4988606101702 - Clear on Clear Red

• 4988606102433 - White (aka Aparthotel?)

• 4988606102679 - ??? possibly Pearl Pink (aka Mauve)
  • 4988606102686 - ??? possibly Clear White on Clear Gray
  • 4988606102693 - ??? Gold on Silver
  • 4988606102709 - ??? Clear Blue on Clear Red

• 4988606102983 - ??? (Ganmetto)
  • 4988606102990 - ??? (Gurimetto)

• 4988606103300 - ??? (Pinpa)
  • 4988606103317 - ??? (Murapa)
  • 4988606103324 - ??? (Guripa)
that is very interesting! I do know that gurimetto is the metallic black. I bought 2 gurimetto from a japanese seller and they told me it was kind of an olive color but the pictures were the metallic black. But the gurimetto they told me meant a brownish green. Unfortunately both controllers got lost in the mail so I cannot confirm this. If there really are 19 that is awesome! 3 of us have 14 of them and we know about 15 confirmed colors. Do you have any pictures of the gold on silver, clar on grey, pink on blue?
Cabanon
Oct 12 2016, 10:29 AM
SoloJones64
Oct 12 2016, 08:56 AM
Cabanon
Oct 7 2016, 12:26 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deephttp://www.play-asia.com/ascii-pad-64/13/701f80 interesting enough, there's Japanese text once translated give us "New color "Green Pearl" lineup in the popular "ASCII pad 64". For 3D stick thumb supporters "thumb-kun 2" included." Could it be the Metallica Teal we're talking about ?

EDIT 2: while browsing, I found this very interesting info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agetec which seems to point to this http://www.agetec.com/ and they seems to be still alive. I wonder if anyone could message them and ask if they have any idea bout these controller ever making it to the US market and/if or they know about the various colour available.
Where did you find that text that translated to pearl green? and, yes, that is probably the metallic teal I have. Also, I just sent agetec an email inquiring about the ASCII pads.
in the description...
ok, thank you.
Edited by SoloJones64, Oct 12 2016, 05:54 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
danilochka
Oct 12 2016, 06:04 PM
I've edited the list to include the release dates. The best website is this one which lists all models except for Pink Marble, for some reason and seems to list the Clear Black twice? Sadly none of the later models have images so their status remains "unconfirmed" for now.
ah, that is unfortunate. That website seems to have a metallic black for sale and that is the last confirmed color I need.
Edited by SoloJones64, Oct 12 2016, 06:25 PM.

SoloJones64
Established Member
I can't find a metallic black anywhere. GA AAHHHH. Stupid japan post lost 2 of them for me :(:(:(:(:(

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
Nov 27 2016, 04:00 PM
danilochka
Nov 27 2016, 02:25 PM
So this is Guripa, the final ASCII Pad 64 model to be released and this is confirmation of the barcode to add to the list
Thanks for that info danilochka! Where did you dig up that product image?

I've updated the original table/spreadsheet (see below) to now include that variant, which seems to match up to that metallic teal color... I believe only 1 collector currently has it.

Spoiler: click to toggle
That's the metallic teal that I own. So if you were referring to me as the one collector then that's true. If not then there's 2 of us

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
Nov 30 2016, 02:30 PM
No64DD
Nov 30 2016, 01:48 PM
For one reason or another, Guripa is the combination of two words!

Green- グリン (adjective form) AND Pearl- パル

Cool... so what do you make of the other -pa words? (Pinpa, Murapa) Do they match up to any of the other colors we've seen already such as the mauve/purple color? My educated/logical guess is that Ganmetto and Gurimetto lines up to the metallic blue and metallic black colors - we've seen EBay sellers list Gurimetto as the metallic black color. Thoughts?
I said in this thread a while back that a Japanese seller told me that the gurimetto meant sort of a dark olive color. Those were the 2 controllers that just somehow never made it here. Wouldn't be surprised if someone back doored me.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: