Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Reoving Stickers from cardboard Boxes; How do you do it?
Topic Started: Dec 12 2010, 01:59 PM (2,697 Views)
Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Hey everyone,

Im not sure if theres already been a topic discussing this, i know there is a part in one thread that briefly talks about it but i couldnt find an actual thread for it.

My question is, is it possibly to safely remove price stickers from cardboard boxes that games/controllers/systems come in?

I know the methods to remove them from plastic cases and the carts themself, but never on how to remove them from cardboard boxes like n64 items come in. Im not sure if its even possible without damaging the print on the box itself. But if there is a safe method that has been tested and works, id love to know!!

Thanks

Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ganondorf
Member Avatar
this person seems to know what there talking about
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/128623-tricks-to-remove-stickers-from-atari-boxes/

i usually keep my price stickers on because i think it make the item more authentic.
Plato "wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
there are two ways to 'unstick' glue... with heat or with cooling. i've used canned lighter fuel to freeze the offending sticker. the fuel is very cold and liquid when it leaves the pressurized can. after freezing the sticker, it will peel off just like that. im not too fond of the heat / blowdryer method b/c too much heat can easily curl of singe paper. your mileage may vary
Posted Image

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Ganondorf
Dec 12 2010, 02:06 PM

i usually keep my price stickers on because i think it make the item more authentic.
If its the original price sticker from when it was first sold, then i totally agree. But when it comes to retro stuff, most have newer stickers from being in other stores. those are the ones id like to remove.

And thank you both for the tips. Ill perfect the method before i attempt it with a piece of my collection

-Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)

Franklint
Member Avatar
Don't hate the player, hate the game!
The method I nearly always use to remove stickers from cardboard boxes is dipping a cotton bud in eucalyptus oil, and then lightly rubbing the exposed side of the sticker. In most cases, it will seep through the sticker and lift off the glue from the underside. It's also very good for removing sticker residue. Just do the same thing on the old sticky stuff on the box, and it should mostly detach, meaning you will be able to rub it off with a regular tissue. Plus, it leaves the box smelling nice for a while! Just make sure not to rub it too viciously or use too much eucalyptus, or you could start to damage the cardboard. I've done this a few times, but just take it slowly and you should be fine.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Franklint
Swag.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
I use something called "Goo Gone" that I picked up from the local Walgreen's. I was skeptical at first but believe it or not, it really works. The stuff works best under 2 conditions:

1.) The box has to be somewhat glossy with a finished surface. If it's just regular cardboard with no gloss (or the gloss/ink on the box has been ripped) then Goo Gone will soak into the box and actually damages the box you are trying to clean.

2.) I find that it works best if you attempt to remove as much of the sticker as possible, leaving behind maybe only the backside of the price sticker (the hard part to remove). Then you apply Goo Gone with a Q-tip, and rub it. Within 30 seconds, all the leftover sticker/sticky stuff will come right off the box. I typically wipe it off and finish it with a wet paper towel.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 13/13 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 20/21 Incomplete
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 185/196 Incomplete

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply