Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
A "Top 5" Thread?
Topic Started: Dec 17 2010, 09:55 PM (1,774 Views)
Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Hey guys,

Im not sure if this was ever a thought for the forums, but what about a "Top 5" section under "other discussion"?

Ive only seen it on a couple other forums and it seems to get quite a bit of attention. I think it would bring alot of activity to the forums. It can be strictly videogame related, or top 5 anything.

Ive posted a couple including one today, "top 5 most addictive games" and it seems to be doing quite well. I just wanted to know if maybe this could be an option for the forum because i know a whoooole lot of top 5s right off the bat!

Thanks

Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Sounds good!

Hey, do you think it would look better if i switched the "topic title" and "topic desciption" around? I thought of this because if people just see "top 5 topic of the week" on the homepage, they wont know if its been updated to a new one or not.

Also, it would keep us from having the same topic title in 3 different sections of the forum.

Example:

Topic Title: Top 5 Favorite Cereal's
Topic Description: Jan. 9. Top 5 Topic of the Week

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I like how that sounds better. It draws more attention to the question of the week :D

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
floorcat
Jan 6 2011, 01:53 AM

The only tricky bit to what I did was linking the response posts... it requires a special URL (I couldn't figure out how to have it link without opening a new browser tab/window... but figured if people really don't want that, they could just scroll to that specific post anyway since the number would be provided).

For instance, if I wanted to link to the first post I posted in this thread, I would add a URL like this:
Code:

[URL=http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7253261/1/#post8067852]My first post[/URL] in this thread.

... which would look like this:

My first post in this thread.

If it's too annoying for you to do, I guess it's really not a problem for me to link them for you. ;)
Well after alot of playing around, i think i finally mastered that whole process! I was having a hard time at first finding out where to get the URL's but i figured it out : D

Anyways, the only forums section left is "other videogames" then the setting up of it will be done!

Great job guys, thanks for taking the time to put my idea into action :yeah:

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Do you need me to do something else on my end, Coorsy? Are you able to still edit the topic title and description of the "other video games" section?

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
I defo like the top 5 good and bad things.

I think it's also interesting too know if someone dislikes something that you do.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Jan 12 2011, 04:42 PM
Do you need me to do something else on my end, Coorsy? Are you able to still edit the topic title and description of the "other video games" section?
Well i couldnt remember if i had 2 separate "top 5" threads already in the "other video games" section. The only think i would need is for you to combine the topics like Floorcat did with the "social board" ones...

But if theirs only 1 "top 5" in the "other video games" section than i know what to do from there!

(im starting to notice i use " " quite a bit :P )

Glad to hear your a fan of the Top 5's Clarky!!

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
If I remember right, I combined 3 of them. Two were top 5's and 1 was a top 3 that everyone listed their top 5 in anyways.
Looks like it is all in order now.

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Jan 13 2011, 05:48 PM
If I remember right, I combined 3 of them. Two were top 5's and 1 was a top 3 that everyone listed their top 5 in anyways.
Looks like it is all in order now.
well when i went to do this weeks (top 5 game characters) i noticed the topic title was edited. But other than that, everything was the same. It was 3 pages of "top 5 most addicting games". The others werent attatched/combined with it.

I went to look for the others but they were not there, maybe you accidently deleted them!?

But like you said, its all up and going now so it doesnt matter too much where the others are.

-Corey
American

Japanese

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
This seems a bit complex...

Why not just have seperate topics for the top 5's every week? We can pin the current top 5 so it gets noticed...

... although for some reason I always seem to not notice pinned topics. I must be weird. :lol:

I was confused to see the "Top 5 videogame characters thread" starts off as the "What were the 3 most addictive games youve EVER played". New topics would make it easier too, cos there would be no need to edit the title every week.

Just my thoughts, gentlemen. :)
Edited by alxbly, Jan 14 2011, 12:23 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I hope I did not delete them. I selected all three and then hit "combine" I am new to the controls though, so who knows.

It doesn't matter to me if the top 5's are in the same topic or if they stand alone. Whatever works best for everybody else is fine with me.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I'm gonna seperate out the existing topic into individual top 5 threads, that way people can vote on a topic outside of the week and if we wanted to onclude pllls in the top 5 threwads we can (which is difficult if they're emrged into one topic). It's fine to create a new topic for each weeks top 5. :)

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
So just have the Top 5 threads float around everywhere?

What about makeing a "Top 5 Thread"? that way people can just post random "Top 5s" but its all in one section

-Corey
Edited by Coorsy101, Jan 22 2011, 06:18 PM.
American

Japanese

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I'm not sure that we need to keep them all together? They're really excellent topics in their own right and deserve individual topics to generate more discussion. You've come up with great ideas for the weekly topics, Corey. :)

I've pinned this weeks Top 5 so it's most prominent. We can do this every week so it highlighted that it's the current hot topic! :D

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I think this way will work out nicely!

alxbly is right, your "top 5" topics have been great :D

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Thanks Guys!

And that actually makes alot more sense. This way we can keep older ones open for discussion. Oppossed to only giving people 1 week to respond before another one takes over.

-Corey
American

Japanese

« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: