Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Glover; January 2011's Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2011, 06:18 PM (1,309 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
alright, the votes are in. glover beat jet force gemini by 1 vote, and thus becomes our official january game of the month.
so, at your convenience play it sometime this month, and let us know your thoughts on the game. congrats to FoxC, who nominated glover in the first place.

i should have feb's nomination topic up and running tonight maybe.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FoxC
Member Avatar
Annual Visitor
Time for me to buy it. At least it will be cheap on eBay if I don't see it at my local flea market tomorrow.

Thanks for setting all this up, Stinger.
Posted Image

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Pinned.

I may not be able to get to this game until halfway through the month, but I do plan to give it a try sometime before it's over.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
i may be in the same boat, mop. i know i will try it before january is up though.
thanks, foxc, been my pleasure :D

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
hoorahhh for glover!!!

Luckily i own this one already, so all thats left to do is pop it in the system and play till my thumbs are sore :D

-Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
maybe i can swing by game haven this weekend. hope they have it :unsure:

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Heh... I guess I'll have to actually dig out not only the game, but my N64 itself. X_D >_<
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

floorcat
Member Avatar
One quarter into the month of January already... anyone (Coorsy?) get around to starting to play this yet??

(Planning to dig out the N64 & game this weekend... it's gonna be almost like Christmas!) :w00t:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
slow start, but i think that was due to the late settling on glover. i am going to try to check game haven this weekend for a copy. :D

Gazza
Member Avatar
Established Member

My copy of Glover should be arriving in the next week or so. I found a complete copy on eBay for $13. I also bought a few other games as well.
The fun part will most probably be when I'm notified to pick up the package at the Post Office. I say "fun" because the customs charges are basically a crapshoot over here where USPS packages are concerned. At times I've had items coming in with a value of over $300 and I'd be charged something like $10 in customs fees, and other times for let's say a $50 valued item I'd be charged over $20. :eh:

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Fortunately I have this game already so I'll be sure to have a go this weekend.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Vyothric
Member Avatar
Most Frantic
floorcat
Jan 6 2011, 08:47 PM
anyone (Coorsy?) get around to starting to play this yet??
I'd have started it on January 1st, but I don't have it. In fact, of the games that went to the vote, it was the only one I didn't have.
Edited by Vyothric, Jan 7 2011, 10:30 AM.
Posted Image Posted Image

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
floorcat
Jan 6 2011, 08:47 PM
One quarter into the month of January already... anyone (Coorsy?) get around to starting to play this yet??

(Planning to dig out the N64 & game this weekend... it's gonna be almost like Christmas!) :w00t:
i havent yet, i think ill pop it in when i get out of work tonight!

The 360 has had me distracted from anything else :D

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
sounds like we should maybe get some official gotm conversation going after this weekend.

floorcat
Member Avatar
^AGREED!!

I'll see about getting some sort of temporary sticky to this thread... unless you'd prefer we have just one thread for all GotM games' discussions...?? :unsure:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
floorcat
Jan 8 2011, 01:31 AM
I'll see about getting some sort of temporary sticky to this thread...
You blind? It's already pinned. ;)

Quote:

unless you'd prefer we have just one thread for all GotM games' discussions...?? :unsure:
Preferably, each game should have its own thread. There's a good chance that not everyone will be finished with the game before the month is over, so it should remain open for discussion even after the month ends. If the same thread is used for next month's game, then the discussion will come to an abrupt end.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Mop it up
Jan 8 2011, 01:57 AM
floorcat
Jan 8 2011, 01:31 AM
I'll see about getting some sort of temporary sticky to this thread...
You blind? It's already pinned. ;)
Heh... I usually just see "Active Posts", and totally lose sight of the structure of the forum, forum sub-sections, and stickies within each sub-section. My bad. X_D

And yeah... I wasn't sure how much people will be playing/wanting to discuss the GotM's past the month they're in the limelight. But you're right... an individual thread per game would probably be the best solution. No sense in making people purchase a copy, and giving only a small 4-week window to post about their experience with the game. :yeah:

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
just picked up a copy at game haven. they had 4 copies. 2 with sharpy writing on them and 2 that were just dirty. one was totally corroded, so i went with the other dirty one. hope to start playing it soon.

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Glad you found it!

I got mine from at the flea market in a 3 for 10$ bin. Cleaned up real nice, looks nice and minty...

Anyways, i finally popped Glover in today! Didnt make it too far before i shut it off... I literally couldnt even get thru the second part of the first level (at least i think it was still the first level).

I dont know if im missing out on some controls, but i couldnt get the ball out of this little pool. And when i did, it would just roll right off the map..

So as of right now, i cant say im a fan of the game... Ill probably give it another shot tomorrow!

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I have to admit it is frustrating me too. I played the practice level, and the first level.

I like the idea, it is just the execution is wrong to me.

I will continue to play it until I am sure I can give it a fair run down.

zoki64
Member Avatar
I played through the game quite a few years ago. The game is not as hard as it looks. When you get the basics down you can beat the game pretty fast.
Posted Image

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
zoki64
Jan 9 2011, 04:32 PM
I played through the game quite a few years ago. The game is not as hard as it looks. When you get the basics down you can beat the game pretty fast.
i could kinda tell it was one of those kind of games right off the bat...

The only problem is, by the time i get use to it, we will have a new game nominated...

-Corey
American

Japanese

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Ok, I have spent about 4 hours on it so far. I do plan to spend a bit longer before quitting, but here are my thoughts/review as it stands now.

First off, I want to say that Glover is a unique concept. Unfortunately, I believe it lacked in proper execution on the development end of things.

Graphics:
What I do like about Glover, is that it kept it simple graphically. The game uses few polygons and simple textures. It pushed no graphical boundaries, but it did help it to age better than some N64 games have.
5/10

Sound:
For me the sound is about as generic as it comes. I am not really a fan of the music, and the sound effects are comical at best.
4/10

Controls:
This is the biggest place the game takes a hit for me. With all of the buttons on the N64 controller, you would think that a better control scheme would have been possible. The controls did not come natural for me 10 years ago, and they still do not now. The camera can be so frustrating at times, leaving me unable to see that I was about to throw the ball off a cliff or whatever.
2/10

Story:
While childish, I do kind of like the story of Glover & his nemesis, Cross-Stitch. It is simple, but it works.
6/10

Game play:
As much as I want to enjoy Glover, I simply do not. It is really a great idea and concept, but I think this game would have benefited more by being on the Wii. I think the bouncing and throwing would fit perfectly with the Wii-mote. I will say that i found a lot of the puzzles to be both challenging and rewarding to figure out. The level designs are interesting to say the least, but I found myself getting lost in them far too often for my taste. Other times I would have to try to bounce/throw a ball over a wall entirely too many times before succeeding to not lose my patience. The bottom line is that I really don't have much fun while playing Glover. I had always doubted I had given it a fair shake 10 years ago, but after replaying I still feel disappointed like I did then.
4/10

Replay Value:
Glover is an oddity that I believe every true N64 fan should at least try out. In fact I think it is so odd, you sometimes need to replay it just to remind yourself. Other than that, since I really do not have fun playing it, I doubt i will be replaying it much in the future.
4/10

I am glad this title won, I really did always want to try it again, thinking i hadn't given it a fair shake.
Now I no longer feel that way.
For my overall score I give Glover a 4.5/10, hovering just right below an average title.

I will likely comment more as I continue to play, but I thought I would go ahead and get the ball rolling on it.
I am looking forward to your all's thoughts on it as well...

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Excellent Review man :yeah:

The game definately could have been better. Really Unique concept.

I want to put a couple more hours into the game before i give my final thoughts, but it definately wasnt love at first play

-Corey
American

Japanese

Vyothric
Member Avatar
Most Frantic
Interesting. I really want to play it now :P
Edited by Vyothric, Jan 11 2011, 10:49 AM.
Posted Image Posted Image

Purtle
Member Avatar
Vyothric
Jan 11 2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting. I really want to play it now :P
Me too!
Check out My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Purtle28PatrickSSB

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Ok well I had a brief go on this about 10 min ago and well, what can I say!? errr

Its different! I can see how it may appeal to some but unfortunately its just not my cup of tea.

The controls and visuals of the game are good and fairly stable, I just don't like the arsing about with trying to get a ball up a ledge or across a platform.

And whats the deal with collecting cards. What are the cards for!? and I cant seem to kill enemies, thats if you can.

Perhaps its just me though. It probably doesn't help that I don't have the insruction manual and the fact that I didnt play the practice mode first.

Based on this brief go I'm rating this a 4/10, but this score cant be taken too seriously as this is based on my first go of the game.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Your after 10 minute review is pretty much right in line with my after 4 hour review. :lol:
I do plan to maybe play some more this weekend. Hopefully at least another hour or two.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Ah. Looks like I must have sold this game a while ago... I did have it at one point. Anyway, I've just bought it on eBay so I'll post my first impression of it once it arrives. Like most people here have stated, I seem to remember the controls not being very good. :-/

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Unfortunately my first impression of the game has lead me to not want to pick it up again. I'll think about it and then just be like ehhhh lets play some 360.. lol.

Getting the ball up ledges is the most aggrivateing part for me. That or ill get going nice and fast and just fall off the map :facepalm:

-Corey
American

Japanese

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: