Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Glover; January 2011's Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2011, 06:18 PM (1,437 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Yeah, falling off the map is lame. :lol:

Nobody seems psyched about this game anymore. I am not exactly wanting to play it again either, but I am going to try to a bit.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
stinger9142
Jan 13 2011, 10:15 PM
Your after 10 minute review is pretty much right in line with my after 4 hour review. :lol:
I do plan to maybe play some more this weekend. Hopefully at least another hour or two.
:lol: It seems we both came to the same conclusion, the games a bit pants no matter how long you play it for lol

I don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon again anyway.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Well I guess if nothing else, the January GotM was a learning experience ;)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Ach, is everyone gving up? Well, this arrived today and I'm just about to give it a try:

Posted Image

I can't remember much about Glover other than the opening level being very orangey-yellow. :huh:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I still have to play it yet, but I probably won't say much different than what others have said. I've played it before, and from what I remember, the problems are with the control. More specifically, the physics, they are too realistic. Now, that might sound strange, since usually people consider realistic physics a good thing. When you slap around a ball in real life, you have no idea where it's going to go; this unpredictability makes the precision required for this game almost impossible. Some stages are just plain luck that the ball will go where you want.

zoki64
Member Avatar
Hm.. Im surprised that so many of you dont like this game. I have to say I really enjoyt it, or maybe its just nostalgia. I got it on the release date when I was 8...
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am hoping we get at least a little more feedback. The month is only half way through, so I am sure more will trickle in.

I am anxiously awaiting your thoughts, alxbly :D

You are spot on about the physics being to real, Mop.

zoki, I got this game from my brother for Christmas. He found it new for $20 and picked it up for me. If it wasn't for that, this would have been my first experience with Glover. Maybe it is nostalgia for you. People have big differences in taste though, so who knows.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I'm enjoying Glover so far. I've finished the level one of the Atlantis Realm, although admitedly It did take me ages to figure out the three last star thingys were in the pillar (I didn't notcie it was cracked). Can the sharks be beaten? I can't seem to damage it with any of the balls and waiting until it falls didn't work either (I thought I might have to stomp it when it's down). It's gonna be something obvious... :-8

Anyway, I'm not finding the controls too hard just now. The reversed controls on the ball were annoying but the manual says they don't apply when playing on easy, so I switched to easy and found it much more playable. I might switch back once I get the hang of Glovers other moves, but not for now. The manual is really handy, it lists all the moves Glover can pull off and there's quite a few. I agree that aiming is annoying though, it's far too fiddly.
Mop it up
Jan 18 2011, 01:38 PM
When you slap around a ball in real life, you have no idea where it's going to go; this unpredictability makes the precision required for this game almost impossible.
Holding down A or B before slapping/throwing the ball shows it's throwing curve. If you just line up Glover without waiting for the throwing curve to appear (it takes a second) then I can imagine it is pretty tough.
Edited by alxbly, Jan 19 2011, 05:26 PM.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I know about that, and it's definitely useful, but even with it you still don't know where it's going to bounce. The game is fine in the early stages but the later ones require more than the physics provide.

Vyothric
Member Avatar
Most Frantic
Well, here we are.

Glover had quite a promising start. I quite liked the first few levels. Then came the first bonus level, frogger:

It probably doesn't look too difficult, but like most of the game, you have to die many times before you figure out exactly where and when to press what. That was really my main problem with the game. It's more of a technical challenge than a game. Not that a game shouldn't have that, but it should also have something else.

Best part of the game: Atlantis (not including the bonus level)

Worst part of the game: Fortress of Fear - Two of the levels have a lightning "effect". It flashes on the screen every now and then so, for a second, you can't see what you're doing. In this game, that's long enough to die....several times. The music also took a pretty sharp downturn after Atlantis and on a few levels was really annoying.

Some random gameplay:

And the end:

If you're just looking for a good technical challenge, then Glover is your game. However, I suspect no-one is. Obviously, it does get a lot easier once you've figured out how to do something in the game - but by then it's hard to enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Yeah, I view Glover as a challenging game, just not a "fun" challenging one. What a shame. It is cool you posted some videos.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
stinger9142
Jan 26 2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I view Glover as a challenging game, just not a "fun" challenging one.
Agreed. I thought the first level was okay but... well, it's not a very exciting game is it? :-/

Vyothric
Member Avatar
Most Frantic
I also uploaded the music from the first level if anyone wants it.
Posted Image Posted Image

formula55
never played... i hope to snatch one up on craigslist tomorrow though!

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Let us know what you think if you try it :D

alxbly, I usually find myself making a confused face while playing this game. That about sums it up :lol:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I played a bit more of Glover tonight but it's been fairly average so far, so I think this one is not gonna spend much more time in my N64. :-/ Vysothic described this a "technical challenge", which seems like a kind way of describing a dull and repetitive game, which is pretty much where my opinion sits and seemingly what most people here thought. I don't think I could sit through the tedium of this one to see the end :facepalm: so I've opted to play a far better game instead. :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
You are far better off for it :lol:

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: