Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Gold N64 Controller; The 1st 1000 - Mario Kart Contest
Topic Started: Jan 14 2011, 08:56 PM (7,635 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Gold Controller History:

As we all know, the N64 controller comes in a variety of different colors. One of the most noticeable is the color gold. We know that this color was available as a Toys R Us special (blister pack), bundled with various N64 console boxed-sets (North America, Europe, Australia, Japan), in 2 different colored boxes in Japan (gold and white), and used in several places where they were offered as promotional items (Nintendo Power 100 catalog) or given out as prizes (E3 1997 Star Fox 64 competition). But do you know the true origins of the very 1st gold controller?

The first 1000 gold N64 controllers were offered as prizes back in March of 1997 by Nintendo Power. In Issue #94 (March '97) on pages 34 and 35 was the "Mario Kart 64 Nintendo Power Cup" contest. Two issues later, in #96 (May '97) on pages 76 and 77 were some of the winning times from the contest. This makes the 1000 gold controllers from this contest as the very first ones that were available in N64 history. E3 1997 was held in Atlanta, Georgia in July. The NP100 controllers were orderable via the Super Power Supplies catalog that came with issue #100 (September '97).

There probably is no way to identify any of the 1000 gold controllers that were given out as part of this contest unless someone had the original shipping box from Nintendo + contest winning letter (if there is such a thing). And even then, the controller physically looks to be identical to a normal gold controller (whereas the NP100 had the sticker, the E3 Star Fox controller had the gold N and black back).

I hope you've enjoyed this little short history lesson about one of the best looking controllers in gaming history. :n64:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
They sure do look snazzy :D

Somewhere I have 97 through about 99 Nintendo power magazines. I think they are in my garage in Oklahoma. I would love to browse through them now...

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
Really Stinger? 97-99 of them? thats an odd number to remember hahah

Wouldnt it have been easier to say, about 100!? :P

Theres a few specific issues im currently on the hunt for. Id like to get a bunch of them for a bargain just to read thru for good times sake.

-Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
:lol:
I meant I have 1997 through 1999. I subscribed for I guess 3 years, and I never throw out a magazine :D

Coorsy101
Member Avatar
That makes more sense... i was wondering why you would put such an odd number down haha.

If you ever end up grabbing them and happen to have the Power Supplies Catelog for the 100th issue, id buy it from you. Only if you could care less about owning it of course :)

-Corey
American

Controllers: 12/19 (9/15 Boxed/Sealed)
Systems: 1/9 (1/9 Boxed)

Japanese

Controllers: 7/18 (6/18 Boxed)
Systems: 1/10 (1/10 Boxed)

Ganondorf
Member Avatar
is there a way we can tell the difference between the first 1000 and later models of the gold controller??
Plato "wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Ganondorf
Feb 11 2011, 04:47 PM
is there a way we can tell the difference between the first 1000 and later models of the gold controller??
First post in the topic:
ddr2nite
Jan 14 2011, 08:56 PM
There probably is no way to identify any of the 1000 gold controllers that were given out as part of this contest unless someone had the original shipping box from Nintendo + contest winning letter (if there is such a thing).

:coffee:

Cabanon
Elite
i remember back in tha daythis contest. tried this with a friend and barely made 1:20 without shorcuts. months later i got this awesome 58sec runs with 3 successfull shortcut lap. i never ever got this again. i would have won one of these hehe.

EDIT: has anyone tried to track down any of those winners ? maybe, by a very slime chance, they could provide one of them.
Edited by Cabanon, Sep 10 2011, 11:04 AM.

mujcc
Cabanon
Sep 10 2011, 11:02 AM
i remember back in tha daythis contest. tried this with a friend and barely made 1:20 without shorcuts. months later i got this awesome 58sec runs with 3 successfull shortcut lap. i never ever got this again. i would have won one of these hehe.

EDIT: has anyone tried to track down any of those winners ? maybe, by a very slime chance, they could provide one of them.
Actually, I won one of these. I kept the box and congratulations card for the longest time, but I ended up throwing the box away. I still have the congrats card and a couple of pictures. I randomly come upon this while looking how rare my controller was before I ended up selling it.

Edit - I have pictures of some of the times I sent to Nintendo Power.

Edit 2 - I shared some pictures with ddr2nite, here they are

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6527/frontandpics.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7857/insideandpics.jpg

Pictures of the Congrats card they gave me for being the 1 in 1000.
Edited by mujcc, Oct 17 2011, 09:47 PM.

Cabanon
Elite
s**t. and i had a lowest time while the contest was running lol ! but i'm shitty Quebec and i can't participate in like 99.9% of every contest run in the world. goddamn f**king stupid place.

any idea if the buyer still have it ?
Edited by Cabanon, Oct 18 2011, 08:02 AM.

mujcc
Cabanon
Oct 18 2011, 08:01 AM
s**t. and i had a lowest time while the contest was running lol ! but i'm shitty Quebec and i can't participate in like 99.9% of every contest run in the world. goddamn f**king stupid place.

Not sure what you mean buddy, if you mean - do I still have it? Yes, but probably not for very long.

As for shortcuts, I found out after the fact about jumping the wall shortcut. Don't exactly remember why I used Toad as my racer, as I hardly ever used him/her/it.

Edit - Oh, sorry. My post makes it seem like I already sold the controller, no I still have it but am in the process of selling it. I just came upon this website after I listed it on ebay.
Edited by mujcc, Oct 18 2011, 11:16 AM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
In Australia I remember they advertised it as a gold medal sort of deal cause we are a fairly sports mad nation and it was leading to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
Michael Klim appeared on the adds for memory, an Aussie swimmer who had won gold. And Nintendo sponsored him.
One of my buddies has one, although it doesnt look so gold these days hahaha. :o :D

mujcc
mujcc
Oct 18 2011, 09:38 AM
Cabanon
Oct 18 2011, 08:01 AM

Not sure what you mean buddy, if you mean - do I still have it? Yes, but probably not for very long.

As for shortcuts, I found out after the fact about jumping the wall shortcut. Don't exactly remember why I used Toad as my racer, as I hardly ever used him/her/it.

Edit - Oh, sorry. My post makes it seem like I already sold the controller, no I still have it but am in the process of selling it. I just came upon this website after I listed it on ebay.
That's pretty cool DJ Cat.

Also, in regard to the Mario Kart Gold Controller, been digging a little bit and found this http://tompreston.deviantart.com/art/SYAC-Deadline-Part-1-204707881 - the guy also has a Gold Controller he won from Mario Kart (he drew a picture of it and then describes how he won the controller). Just look below in his comments, but this is what he says

"I hate deadlines. They have a curious way of eluding me for the longest time and then creeping up and pouncing on me when I least expect it...

EDIT: Yeah I'm playing the N64. It's really not THAT old is it? I mean, if I wanted to I could've made it an Atari 2600 controller. I have ALL my video game systems hooked up to my TV and I play them regularly. Don't get me wrong, the Wii's virtual console is awesome and allows me to play some games which I don't own, but there's nothing quite like playing the original games on the original consoles.

Also, fun fact: It's kinda hard to tell because I had a very difficult time getting the color right, but I'm playing with my special gold N64 controller that I won in a Nintendo Power Mario Kart 64 contest. It involved having to beat Mario's Circuit in under a minute or something insane, and after a lot of trial and error I did it, took a Polaroid, sent it in and never expected to hear about it again. Then one day several months later I got a mysterious package and when I opened it it was the gold N64 controller with a picture of Mario saying "congratulations!"

I loved that controller. Too bad it's uniqueness was eliminated when they started selling gold controllers to promote Goldeneye...

Why the hell am I writing all this?"

Heinrold
Member Avatar
nice story, though the guy seems to be a bit confused ^^
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

Cabanon
Elite
anyone from Canada been able to bid on this controller ? even tho mujcc added Canada, i cant even bid on it.

EDIT: if someone from the US (WHO HAS NO INTENTION ON BIDDING ON IT) could help me out getting this. that'd be very nice. i'd gladly pay a small amount for helping me. contact me via PM please.
Edited by Cabanon, Oct 21 2011, 09:54 PM.

KeFkA666
Well this is going to be a major bump, but i just came across this post and yes i actually own one of these controllers. I won it by getting a time and jumping over the brick wall, it took me forever. I am actually looking at my controller as i type this i have it displayed. Somewhere i have a certificate saying i won it as described above. I do remember thinking i was the s**t with this controller and then they started selling it killing my dreams of owning something 1 of a kind. The reason i came across this is because i always wondered if my name was in the magazine because i never subscribed to nintendo power i actually ripped the page out of the magazine from a store, i was very very broke as a kid. Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
KeFkA666
Jun 7 2012, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.
Hey there kefka, welcome to the forums. I do remember seeing another couple of pages in a different issue of Nintendo Power where it listed some more of the winners. I don't remember which issue though.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to tell a difference between those gold controllers from all the other ones that eventually were being sold in stores. Only a true Nintendo employee who worked for the company back in those days would be able to tell us... :(

" - MK II

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Any chance you could snap some pics of the controller with the certificate KeFkA666?
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Cabanon
Elite
ddr2nite
Jun 8 2012, 12:02 AM
KeFkA666
Jun 7 2012, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know if they listed all the winners in NP or just the ones in the above picture and if anyone has any questions about the controller i can answer them....maybe there is a difference.
Hey there kefka, welcome to the forums. I do remember seeing another couple of pages in a different issue of Nintendo Power where it listed some more of the winners. I don't remember which issue though.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to tell a difference between those gold controllers from all the other ones that eventually were being sold in stores. Only a true Nintendo employee who worked for the company back in those days would be able to tell us... :(
the only way to really know if the certificate. i have one of these taht i bought that included the certificate & the actual photo used to win one controller. very neat.

macN64
Member Avatar
This video has already been brought up in the Third Party OEM Thumbsticks topic, as that was the main point of the video, but KingNintendoFanboy also shows a gold controller he won from the Nintendo Power competition (he shows the card congratulating him for winning).
Edited by macN64, Aug 24 2012, 02:16 PM.
Youtube

stevesabuyer
I have the first gold controller won from march 1997. Everything,including postmarked June 17 1997 box, congrads winning card, plastic bag stamped N1, all packing materials. Unused controller I opened box looked at it and put away. I have a picture posted in nintenage.com .... do I really have to open up the controller for the #s on components or a possible n1 symbol inside to verify the date of manufacture? Am I really the only person who saved everything shipped with and in the box postmarked June 17 1997 from Nintendo. Cont,contacts card,bag,box,packing material. I am getting offers, I justddon't know what its worth....gold n64 controller won from Mario kart 64 Nintendo power cup contest in march of 97? Anyone can help?

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
stevesabuyer
Oct 23 2013, 03:24 PM
I have the first gold controller won from march 1997. Everything,including postmarked June 17 1997 box, congrads winning card, plastic bag stamped N1, all packing materials. Unused controller I opened box looked at it and put away. I have a picture posted in nintenage.com ....
Can you share with us where you have the picture posted? I searched for your username on NintendoAge but it didn't come up.

" - MK II

stevesabuyer
Here's a pic of postmarked box from Nintendo Redmond w.a., one side of congratulations card other side has a mariokart64 picture, the controller, and part on n1 stamped bag. I've been advised not to post too much detail or everything sent with my march 1997 non mag contest winning gold controller because apparently the controller looks same as other later produced gold cont. And. Copy n paste forgers may try and sell off a toys r us.controller. I promise you I have everything sent in box and postmarked June in 1997 from Nintendo I've been offered more than a few hundred dollars for it. But am holding someone may be able to give me a true kinda appraisal value on what's seems to be a one of a kind and a first with keeping everything. TY, Steven at. sdidomi804@AOL.com
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20131018_181817.jpg (117.67 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20131018_182225.jpg (66.75 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20131018_181817.jpg (117.67 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20131018_182225.jpg (66.75 KB)

Cabanon
Elite
I have that controller too with the Winning card but the original owner didnt kept the shipping box & plastic bag.

man you're lucky to have that. i'd buy it right away to replace mine but cash is low and priority are elsewhere right now

EDIT: I paid mine 57$ shipping included via auction on ebay (member wanted a fair chance to anyone so he auctioned it instead of selling it here). i'd say a 100$ would be a fair value. you really need someone that absolutely WANT that specific kind of controller otherwise it's just another gold controller for them. I wanted it because the contest was epic back then and the lap time posted were truly insane (at leats, that's what I though) but because the rules where I live (Quebec) are so stiff about contest from elsewhere, I wasnt allowed to even participate. so yeah when I saw it last year, I had to jump it and win it.
Edited by Cabanon, Oct 25 2013, 08:12 AM.

stevesabuyer
alxbly
Feb 11 2011, 05:41 PM
Ganondorf
Feb 11 2011, 04:47 PM
First post in the topic:
ddr2nite
Jan 14 2011, 08:56 PM
There probably is no way to identify any of the 1000 gold controllers that were given out as part of this contest unless someone had the original shipping box from Nintendo + contest winning letter (if there is such a thing).

:coffee:
Open it up Nintendo says the numbers on the circuit board don't lie. The first 1000 Can be identified by the component serial numbers inside the controllers, and there not sure if even 1000 were ever shipped out.because of controversy over glitch jumping over wall. Once I'm assured from Nintendo I can get an authenticity letter from them. I will carefully open mine up and read off numbers and symbols to them. But 2 phones calls and no one assures me they can send a letter like that... why not ? I have the box they sent me and everything with it.postmarked in June 1997.... lol what I gott a million dollar controller dated before some v.p. or pres. Or somebody there. For a gold painted controller....

Cabanon
Elite
i'll check mine (circuit board) if I ever get some free time.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@stevesabuyer: Very cool you have an original Gold. Would love to hear more about your controller (including any internal photos depicting the serial number your describe!), but please try to make your posts clear for geezers like me and for our international audience (who may need to rely on translator programs to an extent).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Hi Community!

Long time bump to this topic. I just came back from a long travel and a full mailbox was expecting me :D
So I thought i can celebrate my returning to the collecting world with an interesting post.
One of the items was the first gold controller from the Mario Kart Competition in Japan.

I don't actually know if the Japanese, American or EU contests happened first, I figure they were all arround the same time but likely the Japanese held them first. However the controller is kind of interersting. (As a reminder these were available before the retail gold controllers were available) To my surprise, unlike other gold controllers these were still made in Japan and not in China.

Also interesting is the Box Design because it is the same design all the controllers after the solids came in (the 6 solid Japan Controllers had a diffrent box design). This one is just plain box coloured but it has the same dimensions and Inlay like the later printed boxes already. Anyway, enjoy the pics guys.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

Houghton0609
Thank you for sharing fred, love it!

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Awesome pickup DL! Nice piece of history there for the collection.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: