Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Wii discussion
Topic Started: Dec 8 2006, 08:31 AM (12,836 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I can definitely appreciate Grizzmeister's point and I definitely enjoy my Virtual Console games, but beyond the disc drives I have to wonder what the life expectancy of the other parts are. The old Nintendo consoles and cartridges were built to last, but like my mom says, things are built to break down more easily now.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've got a nice set of Classic Controllers for my Wii. :yeah:

Posted Image

There are several I still don't have including the Gold and Red Classic Controller Pro units. I'd also like to get the SNES/SFC style controller that's compatible with the Wii-mote.

The first time I held a Classic Controller it felt so light that I just assumed it wouldn't be very durable. Surprisingly both the original CC and CCP hold up well even after extended use with fighting games like Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown II.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have that same white Classic Controller and a pink/purple-ish Classic Controller Pro that came bundled with the Xenoblade Chronicles limited edition, but to be honest, I've rarely used them as I love the GC controller.
Somehow, I'm not a big fan of the Classic Controller's analog sticks, they feel too sensitive and cheap to my taste... I haven't touched the Pro version yet though... Is it any better?

Also, I have this controller that I use for my computer and iPad, the 8BitDo FC30 Pro (or the NES30 Pro for the "western" version), which I absolutely love. Apparently it also has Wii connectivity, but I've never tried it before. Does anyone have experience with this?
Edited by Vaettur, Aug 26 2017, 10:57 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Aug 26 2017, 10:54 AM
I have that same white Classic Controller and a pink/purple-ish Classic Controller Pro that came bundled with the Xenoblade Chronicles limited edition, but to be honest, I've rarely used them as I love the GC controller.
Somehow, I'm not a big fan of the Classic Controller's analog sticks, they feel too sensitive and cheap to my taste... I haven't touched the Pro version yet though... Is it any better?
I prefer the GameCube controller as well. The analog sticks on the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro feel like they're too tall making them seem overly sensitive. The analog stick on the GC controller, however, feels just right. :yeah:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I finally ordered a couple of those Wii2HDMI adapters.

Posted Image

Got 'em because a lot of newer HDTV's don't have component inputs and I want to future proof my Wii Virtual Console library. My Wii physical discs can be played on my Wii U which natively outputs HDMI so that was never a concern.

A neat feature about the Wii2HDMI adapter is the 3.5mm audio converter which could come in handy for connecting a Wii to a computer monitor and separate speakers.

I'm gonna be playing Super Smash Bros. Project M 3.6 with the adapter on my 1080p LCD TV to see if it introduces any input lag. I'll report back later to share my impressions.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Sweet. Lemme know how it goes :) Maybe if possible could you test Smash Bros. VC and Mario Kart 64 VC too? I was looking at one of those for myself for the same reason - composite and component plugs are becoming more scarce.

Cabanon
Elite
I have one of those. works really well !

Kamikaze
I believe there are several versions of this, as I've seen local shops sell then for 20 to 30, wheres the well-known chinese stores sell them for about 5, but those have slightly different looks. Are those chinese adapters any good?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Kamikaze
Sep 13 2017, 05:20 AM
I believe there are several versions of this, as I've seen local shops sell then for 20 to 30, wheres the well-known chinese stores sell them for about 5, but those have slightly different looks. Are those chinese adapters any good?
I'm pretty sure mine are from China considering I only paid about $5 for each. I did buy from a U.S. seller for faster delivery, though.
Edited by Grizzmeister, Sep 13 2017, 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Ebony and Ivory. :lol:

Posted Image

My friend Steven and I recently played Smash 64 and Project M 3.6 on the black Wii which is why two controllers are plugged in to it. I've got the HBC on it and I boot a disc image of PM3.6 from a 32 GB thumb-drive using Configurable USB Loader. I get less hiccups that way than when I boot from the disc and have PM on an SD card. In case you're wondering, even though I have an N64 right there, Steven and I still played Smash 64 on the Wii so we could use the GameCube controllers.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
For a long time people running the Homebrew Channel have been able to play Mario Kart Wii online even after the official servers shut down. Now there's a way for people who haven't even hacked their Wii to enjoy the thrills of Mario Kart Wii online again. :w00t:

EASY NEW METHOD OF GETTING WIIMMFI!

I've tested this and can confirm that it works. If you get an Error Code 60000 it simply means that you played Mario Kart Wii on the official server and your profile ID didn't transfer to the Wiimmfi server. In that case just go ahead and create a new license.

Edit: To correct Error Code 60000 information.
Edited by Grizzmeister, Dec 30 2017, 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thanks to the newest Wiimmfi exploit there are now even more people playing Wii online enabled games again. Yesterday I checked the Wiimmfi stats page and saw nearly 300 people playing Mario Kart Wii. :o

As anybody who's been here at N64Forever for awhile well knows, Mario Kart Wii is my favorite Nintendo game ever so I'm very happy that it's still getting all this love as it nears the tenth anniversary of its launch. :yeah:

Mario Kart Wii is simply brilliant and I like it so much that I even purchased this refurbished copy directly from Nintendo.

Posted Image

To help keep my disc pristine I usually play a digital copy of the game, though. ;)

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Curious as to why Mario Kart Wii is your favorite. It's lower on my list of Mario Karts but that's like trying to compare cuts of filet mignon. It's always gonna be amazing :)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jan 3 2018, 07:50 AM
Curious as to why Mario Kart Wii is your favorite. It's lower on my list of Mario Karts but that's like trying to compare cuts of filet mignon. It's always gonna be amazing :)
Have you ever played Mario Kart Wii online?

Mario Kart Wii has excellent item distribution and is generally considered one of the more serious games in the series. I'd say that MKWii is analogous to Super Smash Bros. Melee; sure, all the Smash Bros. games are good but Melee is special. Same thing with Mario Kart Wii.

Would you believe that Nintendo has sold nearly 36 million copies of Mario Kart Wii?

Source

When you factor in pirated copies, it's quite likely that MKWii has been played by 60 to 70 percent of all Wii owners which is just a staggering number. :wacko:
Edited by Grizzmeister, Jan 3 2018, 08:42 AM.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I definitely enjoyed playing Mario Kart Wii online (Brawl you really couldn't...). But I thought there were a lot of complaints about vehicle balance, the bikes having a distinct advantage over the karts. I do know I miss Birdo and Diddy Kong in Mario Kart 8.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jan 3 2018, 08:38 AM
I definitely enjoyed playing Mario Kart Wii online (Brawl you really couldn't...). But I thought there were a lot of complaints about vehicle balance, the bikes having a distinct advantage over the karts.
Yeah, Mario Kart Wii isn't perfect because almost everybody who plays online nowadays runs the Funky Kong + Flame Runner combo. :-/

During the first few years after Mario Kart Wii launched I used the Koopa Troopa + Magikruiser combo to great success but now I also have to run the Flame Runner to stay competitive. I mix it up a little, though, by using Wario - who also just happens to be my favorite Mushroom Kingdom character. :wario:

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I was always Diddy Kong in the Sugarscoot or the Super Blooper :)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Now that it's so easy to get on Wiimmfi, maybe we should have an N64Forever members only Mario Kart Wii race night? We could make it interesting by banning bikes so everybody is forecd to use a kart. Perhaps we'd get more diversity in characters and vehicles that way.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I find it amusing when uninformed people claim that the Wii library is little more than shovelware. :lol:

Posted Image

There are plenty of gems for the console and arguably even some of best games ever from a diverse smattering of genres.

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
there's some gems yes, but we have to be honest, less than 5% of the librairy is considered good.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
It's just the curse of being popular - Atari, NES and PS2 have their own "Ninjabread Man" games too; We'll see how its handled on the switch
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2018, 08:57 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Jan 18 2018, 08:48 AM
there's some gems yes, but we have to be honest, less than 5% of the librairy is considered good.
Maybe by people who collect but not so much by people who actually play video games.

BTW, since I'm not much of a Zelda person, I didn't include the two Wii iterations in my picture. Also, for obvious reasons I wasn't able to include my prized WiiWare games either.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
And said prized WiiWare games would be...?

There's so many WiiWare games I'm gonna miss when the shop shuts down (I had them, then lost them - it's complicated - and haven't bought them back again). Specifically the original Pokemon Rumble and the Strong Bad games were big fun for me :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2018, 09:07 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jan 18 2018, 08:59 AM
And said prized WiiWare games would be...?
Contra ReBirth, Excitebike: World Rally, Fast Racing League, Mega Man 10, Rage of the Gladiator and World of Goo to name just a few. :D

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: