Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (39,477 Views)
StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
While lurking on the GameFAQs N64 board awhile ago I saw a link leading to a 3rd party controller that had the Analog stick and D-pad right next to each other and wasn't the Hori mini controller. The descriptions pretty vague I know, but it's hard to explain. If anyone has any info on it could you please post it?
dagoss,Nov 17 2007
05:13 PM
OMG, this is the best topic ever made.  I nominate Steve for God!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hi StYoung. Do you mean this one?

Posted Image

It had a different name in the US and I can't remember what it was...
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
I'm pretty sure the one alxbly guessed is the one you're thinking of...
I think Kerr Avon was the GameFAQs member who posted the link and strongly recommended this controller, if you want to grab his attention and ask for the link again.

As far as the US name for the "MakoPad 64" controller, it's called the "SuperPad 64"... unfortunately, this name also refers to a controller with a different (and in my opinion, UGLY), 3-pronged design. What makes everything even more confusing is the fact that more than one company makes both designs of the SuperPad. As far as the 2-pronged version, instead of being clear like the MakoPad, it's solid black, and the "SuperPad 64 plus" version is the one that has the turbo/slow-mo features. I think the 3-pronged (ugly) SuperPad Plus just comes in different colors.

Anyways, I could probably go into more detail (and maybe even post pictures) if you want...

... maybe I'll eventually even write up a 3-rd party controller review (since I've tried quite a few)... that is, if ever I get off my lazy butt. ;)

And if you're curious as to what I think about the SuperPad 64 (both the 2-prong & 3-prong designs)... I can recommend either one, as long as you've got pretty adapting hands. They both have decent control (identical?), and much more longevity (as far as I can tell) than the 1st party controller... all thanks to a metal-base analog stick.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
Yup, that's the one I was think about. Thanks. :)

I semi-remembered that it was called the SuperPad, but my brothers friend is sleeping over right now and brought the 3-pronged version with him so I thought thats why I came up with the name. It feels pretty alright, but the top of the analog stick is broke off, so I can't say much about that.

Pictures and more detail would be great, floorcat, though the stuff you already posted is really informative. Once again, thanks.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007

floorcat
Member Avatar
Sorry StYoung... I've been mega-busy ever since the week started. I'll try to post a review & some pics up this weekend.
*feels inappropriately ambitious*
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Ragedy
Veteran
Thats one ugly controller.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Ragedy
Jul 29 2006, 05:06 PM
Thats one ugly controller.

True 'dat!!

Anyways... sorry I haven't done my review yet... hopefully it'll be up tomorrow.

:(

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
Man yo no need to player hate the controller.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007

Deleted User
Deleted User

The reason I remembered that pad is because I got one free with a game I had pre-ordered (I can't remember which one but it was quite late in the N64's life). I held onto it for a short while but then, before I could get used to the different layout, I gave it to a friend. It worked well, it was just the layout that put me off.
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I've been trying to track down a MakoPad 64 to buy somewhere on the net as I really want one of those metallic joysticks. A guy on the GameFAQs N64 message board apparently took a metallic joystick out of the MakoPad (or maybe some other 3rd party N64 controller) and replaced his normal joystick on his official controller with it. I plan to do the same, as if it is successful then my controller's joystick will never become loose. :D
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Deleted User
Deleted User

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Do a search for 'ceramic grease' (it's a type of plastic lubricant), or check for some on ebay. If you put some on the inside of the analogue stick it'll slow down the wear to an unnoticeable level. Then you don't have to worry about using third party sticks which often aren't as sensitive as the nintendo ones.

Mmmonkey.co.uk have all the info you need if you're gonna try this out.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Hey dataDyne, if you want to try get a MakoPad for a "joystick implant", I can already tell you I'm 90% sure it won't work! (I'm not 100% because the MakoPad may be slightly different from the SuperPad).

I had thought to do exactly what you were thinking, but upon opening up the SuperPad I had, the joystick was totally different. I think the wires were soldered down, and the tabs to secure the joystick to the controller were incompatible with the one(s) for the official joystick.

But don't let this stop you from getting a MakoPad (or SuperPad)... it should be a decent controller by itself.

... And sorry everyone who might be waiting for my controller review/pictures... I've been working on it, honest!

(silence)

Does anyone care?? :unsure:

(silence)

:blink:

j/k ^_^

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
alxbly
Jul 30 2006, 04:17 PM
You don't need to go to all that trouble. Do a search for 'ceramic grease' (it's a type of plastic lubricant), or check for some on ebay. If you put some on the inside of the analogue stick it'll slow down the wear to an unnoticeable level. Then you don't have to worry about using third party sticks which often aren't as sensitive as the nintendo ones.

Mmmonkey.co.uk have all the info you need if you're gonna try this out.

I would do that if I had a relatively new N64 controller, but unfortunately I don't. This means that if I did lubricate my joystick (NOTHING SUSS :blink: ) it would stay somewhat loose, so there is no point in doing that. If Nintendo of Australia sold N64 controllers on their web site (why does the US always get what we don't?) I would buy one in a heartbeat. Then I could apply some ceramic grease to the joystick every year or so and have a perfect controller for years! But that will probably never happen.....
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm faced with the same problem, dataDyne. Nintendo UK don't have an online store, so I can't get my controllers from them. What I end up doing is importing them from sites like Play-asia.com. Just now they have brand new boxed controllers in clear purple and red/clear, just like my new N64! Sorry, had to get that last bit in.... :)

If you register with them then it'll show the price for your country (AUS dollars?). I've ordered a few things from them now, the service is excellent. Worth a thought if you're finding it difficult to get decent controllers.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
I'd also like to throw in a few good words for play-asia.com... like alxbly said, their service is truly excellent... and their shipping speed is ridiculously fast (esp. if you choose the express one, but I've heard their "regular" shipping is still really decent). In my past experience, this is probably the best & easiest way to get (current) import games (or import anything video-game-related)... and if you pre-order a soon-to-be-released import title and choose the shipping option with tracking (the "fast" one previously mentioned), chances are high that you'll receive the game no later than a day after its release!!

The only thing kind of tedious & annoying I ran into ordering through them (but this also shows their high level of service) was that since one of my orders was pretty big (i.e. expensive), they requested either a special credit card verification, or scanned images of a photo ID and the front/back of the credit card I was using, both with my visible signature. The verification wasn't working at the time (which made me feel pretty insecure already) and sending the images sounded WAAAAAAY sketchball, but they said I could black out any info except for the signatures and the first & last few numbers of the card, which I did... "and the rest was history."

*continues to think about getting one/both of the two-tone clear N64s* <_<

Deleted User
Deleted User

Just get them both. It'll make you happy. Look at my smiling face: :D

See, it works.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
^ Oh, I certainly don't doubt it!

... It'll lighten my wallet too!! :D Stupid heavy wallets... just bulging with all this annoying money. Pfffft.

floorcat
Member Avatar
"Hi, yeah, I'd like to make a reservation... uh-huh, yeah... yeah, I know you guys are located in ****MeSoHardWithWorkThatIBleedOutMyEars-ville, but I'm gonna be there for the next 3 months. Great. Yeah, and you guys do have the 'Pay-per-Play' service in your rooms, right? Excellent. Yeah, I know using it's not allowed in your town... but I'm only there to take pictures of it. Great, thank you so much!"

Sonny64
Is the hori controller too sensitive for a rumble pak?

Deleted User
Deleted User

No, it works fine with a rumble pak. When Floorcat and I talk about the stick being sensistive we really only mean that the stick needs less movement to make it work. I assume you've read both of our reviews, but if not you can find Floorcat's review here and my review here. Just click those links. :)

The sensitivity of the stick is something we disagree on; I think it's fine, Floorcat thinks it's too sensitive. I've had no problems using the hori pad with rumble pak. I dunno if Floorcat thinks that this affects the controller in any way, but I guess he'll let us know. ^_^

If you're interested there's a few Hori pads for sale on ebay (or there was a while ago). Check out the Ebay topic, there's a link to the auctions there.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
I'm not really so sure...
I would say "possibly"... since my (apparently insensitive) thumbs can't adjust well to the sensitivity of the analog stick without the rumble pak. So there's a high chance that I'd get even more thrown off with the rumble pak.

Actually... come to think of it, I might've always been playing with the rumble pak (since I typically go for "maximum sensory input"), and that might actually be (part of) the reason alxbly and I differ on this one point (the thought never really came across my mind before!). Alxbly, have you been playing without the rumble pak? If so, then it may very well be "yes, it is too sensitive."

Either way, I guess the only way to truly know is to have some Perfect Dark stud play some hideously hard combat simulator level numerous times both with and without the rumble pak, and do some stat-calculating with headshots etc.

Who knows though... :unsure:

Deleted User
Deleted User

I played both with and without, never noticed a difference. I'll pay more attention next time and feed back the results.
Quote Post Goto Top

Sonny64
This is sort-of topic but is the hori pad mini the rarest n64 controller? I mean type it on google and you get very few articles about it.

Deleted User
Deleted User

It's probably amongst the rarest controllers, certainly outside of Japan. There is one controller that is definitely rarer though. It was an official N64 controller released by Nintendo for the millenium, but I can't remember what it was called (and trying to find a photo or some text about it has been driving me nuts). It seemed to be available in two different colours: silver and dark blue, and had "millenium 2000" or something similar to that printed on it. I've been scouring ebay for a while but none have shown up.

My memory of it is very vague but it was either a prize as part of a competition, a Club Nintendo release, or a Nintendo Power edition. If anyone can remember the name of this controller edition (or anything else) it would be VERY helpful for my N64 FAQ.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Whoa... yeah, I've never even heard of that one! (So naturally) it must be retardedly rare. ;)

As for the Hori pad... like alxbly, I'd say it's definitely one of the rarest, as far as 3rd party non-standard controllers go. Although these X2 and Alpha 64 pads seem to have a mild case of "never showing up anywhere, ever."

Deleted User
Deleted User

:( I was hoping you might remember it, floorcat. Anyone else remember this annoying rare limited edition?
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
^ I'll check through some old Nintendo Power mags I've got lying around...

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks mate. I really can't find out anything about it, but people on other forums remember it too. Grrrr... there was one on ebay only about 6 months ago and at the time I thought "Nah, I'll not save that photo, I'll wait for one in better condition"...

<_<
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Hey alxbly... so, sorry I forgot to post earlier, but this weekend I had thumbed through every page of both years 1999 and 2000 of NP... advertisements, player poll contests, promotions and all, and not a single picture/mention (or anything that was remotely close) had caught my eye. :( Basically, I'm 98% sure there's nothing like what you're looking for within those pages. -_-

It's possible that there might've been a separate contest flyer or catalog sent with the subscriptions (which I unfortunately don't have after ~1998), but I'm beginning to doubt this controller's existence... at least in terms of an association with Nintendo/Nintendo Power. Sorry there...

However, thinking about this controller reminded me of another auction I had seen a few months back... for a pretty rare Japanese controller. Perhaps this might even be the JP equivalent (in terms of rarity)? It was a special release of the official controller, except it had the name/logo of a specific toy/video game store (sticker?) on the front, under the engraved "Nintendo." It was all black, and I want to say the logo was a little lion or something. I wish I could remember which store it was for (the JP equivalent of Funcoland?). The box (which was included, as it was all brand new!) even had "[store name] limited edition" on it somewhere... I think. If not those exact words, then something similar was written on the box, so I'm quite positive it was an "official" release. I just remember the seller had totally miffed up the translation... :rolleyes: At least s/he tried, I suppose... but this translation was horrid!! "[X store] Bros. Controller " turned into something like "[X] Short story roll love rose" :lol: (I thought to message the seller to correct his/her translation... but I felt that would've been a little too pompous. Plus, I didn't want it to be changed!) ;)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for looking floorcat. Well, that's another obscure controller I've gotta find out about... darn. :(

I posted a topic on NTSC-UK a while ago asking about the "2000 edition" (it's name until I can find the right one!). At the time I was sure the controller was dark blue... now I'm not so sure. Ah well, at least I know I'm not just imagining it.

It must be pretty rare to not be able to find out anything about it. :huh: :unsure: :(
Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: