Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,552 Views)
floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Yeah... good luck with that... it looks like you'll need it!
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm bumping an old topic again. Way back in September 2006, Floorcat and myself had a discussion about a rare Nintendo 64 controller (the millennium 2000 edition), which you can read above.

I've been hunting for more info on that controller for ages, and just recently some more info about it has appeared on Wikipedia (under the Color Variations paragraph):

"The Millennium 2000 controller, available exclusively as part of a Nintendo Power promotional contest, this was a special silver controller in the United States. It is the only official Nintendo 64 controller to feature all black buttons".

But there's no photo, unfortunately. Now, if only I could track down a photo of that controller...

Posted Image

Pretty nice. Wish I could win one on ebay... ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
That's a pretty nice controller! Silver with black buttons...very nice colour scheme.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Hmm... I have every Nintendo Power issue from the N64's lifetime (1996-2001), and I have never heard of this contest. I'm going to flip through some old issues and see if I can find anything about it.

EDIT: Well, I see floorcat already looked through his NP issues and found nothing. I'm still gonna look, but alxbly, I wouldn't say with 100% certainty that this controller was associated with Nintendo Power.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've heard from four different sources that it was a Nintendo Power competition. If you're willing could you have a look through the 1999 editions of Nintendo Power? I know nothing else about the contest but it would be nice to be able to confirm how this controller came into existance. :-/
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
What sources did you hear it from? Any that could prove it was a Nintendo Power contest? It very likely was, but my point was that I don't think you should say it was unless you can find some proof.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm not saying for a 100% fact that it was from a Nintendo Power competition, but the sources I have all point in the same direction so it seems very likely that it was.

First source: wikipedia (link above).
Second: N-philes forum at http://www.n-philes.com/forums/printthread.php?t=12621
Third: NTSC forum at http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=63307

And the last source I can't reveal just now but if you PM me, Mop, I'll give you more info.
Quote Post Goto Top

Abendigo
Member Avatar
DK64!!!!!!!!!!
alxbly
Mar 2 2007, 11:53 AM
And the last source I can't reveal just now but if you PM me, Mop, I'll give you more info.

no fair keeping secrets :o
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
http://www.ztnetstore.com/product_info.php...products_id/211

Yeah I've been looking for these for a while and now i've found them again (although on a different site).
I haven't purchased any before but they look very promising, just a little handy work with a screwdriver and your away!

(I think this might be in the wrong board, but they N64 controller review topic was closed.
So yeah...)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Make sure to lubricate the stick if you buy one; that will extend it's life by minimising the wear from use.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/n64cont.htm
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The prices on these things seem ridiculous to me. I've bought entire N64 controllers for less than that! I'm not getting any until the price goes down.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Really?

New N64 controllers with the stick in perfect condition?
Damn you Americans getting things cheaper! :P (its true)

Here on Ebay the go for $25 at least (gaming wise - thats equivalant to half the price for you pretty much) when they are in good nick sometimes more.

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
$7.00 does seem pretty ridiculous to me, especially for just an analogue stick replacement. It is good to see that they are still being sold though.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
It seems like a good price to me.

Rather than paying say 20 bucks for a controller with an average stick, just buy one of these and put it in your old crappy controllers (of which I have many, back at my dads place).

I'm gonna get some after i get some 3rd party controllers.
(Not to put in them, i just wanna have some 3rd party controllers. ^_^ )

floorcat
Member Avatar
Honestly, I think it's a pretty good deal...

Back when I was looking at auctions for replacement sticks, they'd sell for anywhere from US$5 to $10... BEFORE a usually pretty steep shipping charge... of like at least $6 or so.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
D.J Cat
Mar 24 2007, 07:02 PM
Really?

New N64 controllers with the stick in perfect condition?
Damn you Americans getting things cheaper! :P (its true)

Here on Ebay the go for $25 at least (gaming wise - thats equivalant to half the price for you pretty much) when they are in good nick sometimes more.

No, they were used controllers, but the sticks felt like they've never been used. EB Games stores sold used controllers for $7.19, which is only 20 cents more than what those analogue sticks cost... before you factor in shipping. This is why I miss EB Games, because controllers sell for at least twice that much on eBay, plus you can't feel the stick before you buy it. And it didn't matter what colour they were, they were always priced at $7.19. I got quite a few controllers from that store, all with perfect sticks. I guess the people who owned them didn't play their N64 much.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I reckon a bit like dvdboxoffice.com that site would give free postage.
But I'm not sure and don't have long before work to check.

Oh man, when I find a 64 with a good stick its like striking gold.
And the latest one I found was in near perfect condition AND cheaper than ones i've paid for on ebay with rubbish sticks.

SO i went to GameTraders (like EB but way better cause they sell old stuff for nearly every system on top of new stuff) to get some 3rd party controllers.
Last time I went there they had some, but i was abit iffy on them, but since reading someones fine reviews ;) ^_^ I felt the need to try and get some.
After waiting for a good half an hour (there was only 1 person working there trying to handle like 10 people) it turns out they had none left.
Meh.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
(sorry for double post but i kinda had to...)

Well, i just bought myself a replacement joystick and put it in my 'troller...only took about 5 minutes and it works brilliantly.
I'm going to get more eventually.
Hopefully people will be intereste din brand new N64 controllers for 15 bucks (Aus $$)

I also turned down the Competition Pro controller cause I was unsure of the review on it.
But now i've re-checked it out, I'm going to get myself that controller as soon as i possibly can!

plankton88
Member Avatar
Established Member
Saw this controller on eBay. Never seen it before. 2 analog sticks? Anyone know about it?

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Ah... that's the Nyko Alpha Pro 64. Kinda rare-ish. Howevers... I've got one in my hands right now, one of at least 3 different controllers that I'm just waiting to actually send to alxbly to review/save... since I'm too damn lazy/busy.

Maybe I'll post some pictures sometime... it's kinda nifty in that it's got two really "trigger-ish" Z-buttons below/behind each shoulder button. However, as some reviews have stated... the analog sticks really are quite stiff. >_<

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Do both analog sticks do the same thing or is the right one perform the tasks of the C-buttons (but obviously not pressure sensitive).

macN64
Member Avatar
My Hori Pad Mini arrived! I have a Mako Pad too, so now I can have two player matches without worring about the control stick. :)
Youtube

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sweet! Have you tried it out yet? How does it feel compared to the official stick?

macN64
Member Avatar
Yeah, I've tried it out but I'm still getting used to it. It's probably too early for me to decide if it's any good or not but the stick seems quite similar to the Wii numchuck's stick (which I suspect is similer to the gamecube stick).
Youtube

Deleted User
Deleted User

Cool, hope you like it! :)
Quote Post Goto Top

macN64
Member Avatar
I've had a bit more expereance with it now. The stick looks very similer to the gamecube stick and probally works the same. It's really good for rotating, like when you verse bowser on Mario 64. It seems a bit less "accurate" than an official stick in good condition though.
Youtube

Deleted User
Deleted User

It works out about the same when you get used to the increased sensitivity. I don't like using it for FPS, though. I think the offical controller feels better as it has a better z-trigger.

So, what colour did you get, mac?
Quote Post Goto Top

macN64
Member Avatar
I got a yellow one. ^_^
Youtube

floorcat
Member Avatar
It was a little heartwarming to see the N64 controller in c|net's The five best game console controllers of all time article... (apparently) sitting at #3 (with a second Nintendo controller in the list sitting at #4). No mention of its flimsy analog stick or button inaccessibility, though I'm not complaining... in light of all the hate the poor thing has seen.

Electro
Member Avatar
Established Member
Nice, though I prefer the GameCube controller, N64's was also good. Seriously though, while you may get the impression that there's a lot of hate for the N64 going by certain forums (I think the gamefaqs one, with all its 2D fanatics and SNES fanboys is the worst offender), it usually preforms well in all kinds of online polls I see. Take a look at this one, actually on gamefaqs, which indicates that its the second most loved Nintendo console:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2215

Looking at its gamefaqs reviews you'd never guess it, but there you are, great results in a unfavorable venue.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: