Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (39,489 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Hi StYoung. Do you mean this one?

Posted Image

It had a different name in the US and I can't remember what it was...
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

The reason I remembered that pad is because I got one free with a game I had pre-ordered (I can't remember which one but it was quite late in the N64's life). I held onto it for a short while but then, before I could get used to the different layout, I gave it to a friend. It worked well, it was just the layout that put me off.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Do a search for 'ceramic grease' (it's a type of plastic lubricant), or check for some on ebay. If you put some on the inside of the analogue stick it'll slow down the wear to an unnoticeable level. Then you don't have to worry about using third party sticks which often aren't as sensitive as the nintendo ones.

Mmmonkey.co.uk have all the info you need if you're gonna try this out.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm faced with the same problem, dataDyne. Nintendo UK don't have an online store, so I can't get my controllers from them. What I end up doing is importing them from sites like Play-asia.com. Just now they have brand new boxed controllers in clear purple and red/clear, just like my new N64! Sorry, had to get that last bit in.... :)

If you register with them then it'll show the price for your country (AUS dollars?). I've ordered a few things from them now, the service is excellent. Worth a thought if you're finding it difficult to get decent controllers.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Just get them both. It'll make you happy. Look at my smiling face: :D

See, it works.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

No, it works fine with a rumble pak. When Floorcat and I talk about the stick being sensistive we really only mean that the stick needs less movement to make it work. I assume you've read both of our reviews, but if not you can find Floorcat's review here and my review here. Just click those links. :)

The sensitivity of the stick is something we disagree on; I think it's fine, Floorcat thinks it's too sensitive. I've had no problems using the hori pad with rumble pak. I dunno if Floorcat thinks that this affects the controller in any way, but I guess he'll let us know. ^_^

If you're interested there's a few Hori pads for sale on ebay (or there was a while ago). Check out the Ebay topic, there's a link to the auctions there.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I played both with and without, never noticed a difference. I'll pay more attention next time and feed back the results.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

It's probably amongst the rarest controllers, certainly outside of Japan. There is one controller that is definitely rarer though. It was an official N64 controller released by Nintendo for the millenium, but I can't remember what it was called (and trying to find a photo or some text about it has been driving me nuts). It seemed to be available in two different colours: silver and dark blue, and had "millenium 2000" or something similar to that printed on it. I've been scouring ebay for a while but none have shown up.

My memory of it is very vague but it was either a prize as part of a competition, a Club Nintendo release, or a Nintendo Power edition. If anyone can remember the name of this controller edition (or anything else) it would be VERY helpful for my N64 FAQ.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:( I was hoping you might remember it, floorcat. Anyone else remember this annoying rare limited edition?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks mate. I really can't find out anything about it, but people on other forums remember it too. Grrrr... there was one on ebay only about 6 months ago and at the time I thought "Nah, I'll not save that photo, I'll wait for one in better condition"...

<_<
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for looking floorcat. Well, that's another obscure controller I've gotta find out about... darn. :(

I posted a topic on NTSC-UK a while ago asking about the "2000 edition" (it's name until I can find the right one!). At the time I was sure the controller was dark blue... now I'm not so sure. Ah well, at least I know I'm not just imagining it.

It must be pretty rare to not be able to find out anything about it. :huh: :unsure: :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm bumping an old topic again. Way back in September 2006, Floorcat and myself had a discussion about a rare Nintendo 64 controller (the millennium 2000 edition), which you can read above.

I've been hunting for more info on that controller for ages, and just recently some more info about it has appeared on Wikipedia (under the Color Variations paragraph):

"The Millennium 2000 controller, available exclusively as part of a Nintendo Power promotional contest, this was a special silver controller in the United States. It is the only official Nintendo 64 controller to feature all black buttons".

But there's no photo, unfortunately. Now, if only I could track down a photo of that controller...

Posted Image

Pretty nice. Wish I could win one on ebay... ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've heard from four different sources that it was a Nintendo Power competition. If you're willing could you have a look through the 1999 editions of Nintendo Power? I know nothing else about the contest but it would be nice to be able to confirm how this controller came into existance. :-/
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm not saying for a 100% fact that it was from a Nintendo Power competition, but the sources I have all point in the same direction so it seems very likely that it was.

First source: wikipedia (link above).
Second: N-philes forum at http://www.n-philes.com/forums/printthread.php?t=12621
Third: NTSC forum at http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=63307

And the last source I can't reveal just now but if you PM me, Mop, I'll give you more info.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Make sure to lubricate the stick if you buy one; that will extend it's life by minimising the wear from use.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/n64cont.htm
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Cool, hope you like it! :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

It works out about the same when you get used to the increased sensitivity. I don't like using it for FPS, though. I think the offical controller feels better as it has a better z-trigger.

So, what colour did you get, mac?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Any N64 fans trying to buy official controllers from eBay in the US will need to be more careful from now on. It seems like the unofficial "fake" controllers which are quite common in some parts of Europe (Germany seems to be flooded with them) have made the leap to the US. I've not had the chance to test one yet (expect a review on N64 Answers very soon) but it's probably safe to say that these aren't gonna be as good as the official Nintendo controllers.

It seems that just now there's one power seller in the US who has got them, and all the auctions appear to be from this one seller. However, these will probably end up being quite popular (unsuspecting buyers won't notice that the controllers don't have a Nintendo logo) and I suspect they will become far more common. The photos used in the auctions are shown below:

Posted Image

Hopefully these controllers are better than the not-very-good-at-all Sumo/Yobo/2-Tech controllers that have already flooded the American market, and are reviewed here.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Was that not the left handed option?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

The control stick looks like it has a textured top. Wonder how that feels?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Yeah. That said, it would be pretty cool if they were good. Imagine; a limitless supply of good quality, cheap N64 controllers with good control sticks...

Back in the real world... I bet they suck big time. :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Dualshock is alright, although it's not without faults. I don't find it to be a comfortable controller and the analogue sticks aren't very precise. Even although the GC controller is more comfortable to hold, I don't rate it all that highly for the following reasons; the z button is too small, the triggers have too much travel and the c-stick needs a proper thumb-grip top to be effective. I'd have given second place to the Xbox Controller S, which is a joy to use and to hold. It's only fault is the rather poor placed/sized black/white buttons.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Two. An official black one was the first that I noticed was getting worn out, then I really screwed up a blue one (not just the stick... but that's a long story). Now I lubricate the control sticks on all my controllers. The controller I've been using for the past three years is just as good as the brand new controllers I have!

If anyone here is using an official controller then I'd really recommend getting some ceramic grease to prevent the control stick wearing out. It's cheap and it really works!

:)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

No-one else here bothered by the poor sensitivity of the dual shocks control sticks? It makes precision shooting in FPS's pretty difficult and Super Monkey Ball is made a fair bit more frustrating... unnecessarily so.

The sticks positioning on the controller doesn't really bother me too much. As long as it works I'm happy. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ The official controller has circular ridges, where as this one appears to have a kinda marbled effect.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
May 28 2007, 06:30 AM
alxbly

If anyone here is using an official controller then I'd really recommend getting some ceramic grease to prevent the control stick wearing out. It's cheap and it really works!

I just bought some of that stuff, and I've got a question that I was hoping you could answer. How much grease should I use? I want to make sure I use enough so it doesn't grind down. Will something bad happen if I use too much?

Yeah, you have to be careful. You want a pretty smooth spread on the curved sections of the black internal control stick parts that have gear cogs on them and that's all (NOTE: do NOT put any grease on the gears). Basically, the parts which come into contact with the base of the analogue stick are the only bits that need any grease (shown below), and a little grease will last a long time. Have a pin handy to smooth out the grease as it tends to come out the tube in a splodge! Try to avoid applying it straight from the tube because that can be quite messy and you can end up with too much.

Posted Image

I found out the hard way that if you apply cermaic grease to the internal white casing it will make the analogue stick move slightly when you're not moving it. I think this happens because the ceramic grease sticks to internal parts of the control stick and causes very tiny movements.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ The Controller S sorted out the big flaw of the original Xbox controller (that it was freakin' HUGE!!!). What flaws do you think the 360 controller suffers from?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I quite like the DC controller. It has a similar feel to the N64 controller although they look quite different.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Yeah, I think it's gonna fool quite a few people. :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Is a flaw the same as a design preference? ^_^ :P
Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply