Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (41,729 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Hmm... I have every Nintendo Power issue from the N64's lifetime (1996-2001), and I have never heard of this contest. I'm going to flip through some old issues and see if I can find anything about it.

EDIT: Well, I see floorcat already looked through his NP issues and found nothing. I'm still gonna look, but alxbly, I wouldn't say with 100% certainty that this controller was associated with Nintendo Power.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
What sources did you hear it from? Any that could prove it was a Nintendo Power contest? It very likely was, but my point was that I don't think you should say it was unless you can find some proof.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The prices on these things seem ridiculous to me. I've bought entire N64 controllers for less than that! I'm not getting any until the price goes down.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
D.J Cat
Mar 24 2007, 07:02 PM
Really?

New N64 controllers with the stick in perfect condition?
Damn you Americans getting things cheaper! :P (its true)

Here on Ebay the go for $25 at least (gaming wise - thats equivalant to half the price for you pretty much) when they are in good nick sometimes more.

No, they were used controllers, but the sticks felt like they've never been used. EB Games stores sold used controllers for $7.19, which is only 20 cents more than what those analogue sticks cost... before you factor in shipping. This is why I miss EB Games, because controllers sell for at least twice that much on eBay, plus you can't feel the stick before you buy it. And it didn't matter what colour they were, they were always priced at $7.19. I got quite a few controllers from that store, all with perfect sticks. I guess the people who owned them didn't play their N64 much.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sweet! Have you tried it out yet? How does it feel compared to the official stick?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 26 2007, 06:32 PM
The control stick looks like it has a textured top. Wonder how that feels?

Er... I thought the official control stick did have a textured top. Am I missing something here?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Just one, the one that came with my N64. That poor controller was mangled by over a dozen kids. All my other controllers are fine... except a few that I got for free/real cheap, but that wasn't me who wore them down.

alxbly

If anyone here is using an official controller then I'd really recommend getting some ceramic grease to prevent the control stick wearing out. It's cheap and it really works!

I just bought some of that stuff, and I've got a question that I was hoping you could answer. How much grease should I use? I want to make sure I use enough so it doesn't grind down. Will something bad happen if I use too much?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I'm kind of surprised they put the XBox 360 controller at #1, seeing that it seems to still have many of the flaws of the original XBox controller.

Here's my own personal list of controller confort:
1. Nintendo 64 controller
2. Nintendo GameCube controller
3. Super Nintendo controller
4. Sega Genesis controller
5. PlayStation 1/2 controller
6. Sega Dreamcast controller
7. Nintendo Entertainment System controller
8. NES Light Gun
9. XBOX S controller
10. XBOX Original controller
11. Mouse and Keyboard

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 28 2007, 11:58 AM
I found out the hard way that if you apply ceramic grease to the internal white casing it will make the analogue stick move slightly when you're not moving it.

So that means if I use too much, it could drip down onto the white case and cause some problems?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 28 2007, 12:13 PM
^ The Controller S sorted out the big flaw of the original Xbox controller (that it was freakin' HUGE!!!). What flaws do you think the 360 controller suffers from?

Well, of course, when it comes to controllers, most of the flaws are really just based on personal preference. I'm pointing that out because I don't want this to be seen as a bashing, and I'm not trying to put down people who like the controller. I've never actually used a 360 controller, but from pictures, it appears to retain many of the qualities I disliked about both XBOX controllers, which are (in no order):

-A/B/X/Y buttons shaped like mounds, I prefer creator-shaped.

-L/R buttons have hard corners, I prefer smoothed out corners.

-D-Pad is round, I prefer + shape.

-Controller has triangular shape, I prefer straight handles.

-White/Black buttons were removed, I think they could have found a comfortable place for them.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 30 2007, 01:50 PM
Is a flaw the same as a design preference? ^_^ :P

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT!

...I'm not good with the words and the putting together rightly. :(

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Nobody I know owns one, so I doubt I'd get the chance to try one (but I would if given the opportunity). I can't actually see the shoulder buttons in the pictures I've seen, so I'm not sure what they look like. The list I posted was actually why I didn't like the XBOX S controller, I just changed the White?Black being uncomfortable into being missing. I'd probably like it more than the first two XBOX controllers, but it doesn't look like I'd like it very much... Of course, a controller is the kind of thing you need to use before you can really judge it. And by use, I mean more than 5 or 10 minutes; you gotta use it for at least an hour straight to find out what it's like.

Quote:

The black/white buttons actually became the L/R buttons, which is a pretty darn good location for them.

Wait, does that mean there are now 4 shoulder buttons? Even so, I like having 6 face buttons. The N64 and Genesis 6-Button controllers are good examples of why it works well. I know that the Genesis lacked shoulder buttons and the N64 didn't have two sticks, but I'd still like to see a two-sticked, four-shouldered, six-face monstrosity someday...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I've been trying to work up the motivation to rummage through my NP issues, but I haven't had much luck. This sounds pretty iffy though...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Wow. Sounds like the last couple of posters are pretty aggressive gamers. >_<

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Jun 4 2007, 08:04 PM
Applepieman
Jun 4 2007, 11:04 PM
Hmm for a rare controller it seemed pretty cheap.. though it is only a controller... Just a little more expensive than a Wii Controller.

Yeah, it was pretty cheap. It helped that it was being sold as "Buy It Now", so I snapped it up before the bidding started. I suspect it may have fetched more if it had gone to bids.

...This is one of those "We'll never know now" moments...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I see that controller on eBay all of the time, but I've never been able to bring myself to buy one.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sweet! I can't wait for the review! I've seen numerous actions for 4 of these things going for $10. I'd be tempted to get one if I knew they were decent controllers.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Rapueda
Jun 5 2007, 06:04 PM
Is it supposed to be for one-handed gaming...? Wonder how it works for first-person shooters. :huh:

I think it's two-handed. It looks like the black ring under the C-Buttons takes the place of the analog stick; this is where you'd have your left hand. I think it was designed for racing games, so it wouldn't work too well with most other games because there's no up/down analog function.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
This is from the review floorcat posted:

Quote:

You can toggle between either analog stick at the touch of a button. Until they release a game that uses dual analog control for the N64, I suppose it doesn't matter that you can't use both sticks at the same time (Assault, anyone?).

So, I guess you can just use either one you want.

(BTW, the people who reviewed this don't deserve the privilege of owning a Nintendo 64.)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
C'mon, spill the beans already! Don't leave us in suspense! Isn't there anything you can tell us about it?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I have this feeling that Applepieman and BetaWolf are talking about 2 different controllers... :unsure:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Since the controller wasn't featured in a contest, I don't think we'll be able to find out how many were produced. So it's kind of hard to compare its worth/rarity vs. the Millennium 2000 and NP 100 controllers.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
What about that orange and black N64? Wasn't that a Japan-only N64 (and controller too), or do you think it was just a case swap?

EDIT: Whoo! My 1,996th poast! The year the N64 was released in the US!

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sweet! That thing's awesome! It's hard to tell, but the black half looks darker than the Smoke black edition. That's probably just because of the darkness of the photo though. I suppose I could make my own one of those, but not an orange and white one. An all-white N64 would have been cool, too...

Here's 1,999. 2,000 should be something special...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
How many of those were exclusive to Japan? The only two I know are the black/gray and the orange Pikachu controller. And I also thought that all of the Funtastic series of controller colours were available separately in the US, but I'm not sure. I seem to recall seeing an Ice Blue one, because I wanted one...

EDIT: There it goes...

EDIT 2:
Quote:

The bottom half isn't clear. I also have a sneaky suspicion that it's not Charcoal Grey but that darker shade of black that was used in the Millennium 2000 controller.

Reaaaaally? It's good to know I'm not going blind yet. That's interesting, though... Must... not... add... to... my... wishlist...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
7 more and I'll have reached the current year!

I recently saw a brand new still-in-the-package Watermelon controller on eBay, so I think we can count that in, too. Not sure about Smoke or Jungle though. The Jungle colour was released before the other 5 colours, so I'd think it was available separately as a controller. No proof though.

EDIT:
Quote:

That edition will cost you an arm and a leg, as it's one of the truly limited edition N64 consoles. But it would be worth it. Sooooo worth it...

That's why I don't want to want it, because it is expensive. That Gold N64 fetches a pretty penny too, so I need to save up for that. Is the orange/black N64 on your wishlist?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Wait, I thought you said you weren't sure about those 3 colours being released as controller-only in the US?

Well, if those 5 were released as separate controllers, then I'd think the Smoke colour was, too. It might have been discontinued quickly, though.

EDIT:
Quote:

There was a Japanese gold console fully boxed on ebay a while ago. Expensive though: 100 ($200) plus the price of shipping from Japan. The orange/black edition will fetch even more.

Jeeze! The US Gold version doesn't go for that much; I think I saw it sell on eBay in-box for about $75.

There's been a lot of editing lately. If we were on GameFAQs, we'd have made twice as many posts! ^_^

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Wow. :blink:
I think I just wet myself.
That's the kind of display shelf I wouldn't mind having.
Who's collection is that?
Excuse me while I change my pants.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The auction also includes a sealed copy of the gold Zelda: OoT. I'm not saying the auction's worth over $500... but that's some valuable stuff that guy's got.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
In the past, I've opened up an analogue stick from the first batch of N64 controllers from 1996, and also a controller I purchased in 2001. They are completely identical in appearance, so unless they started using a different type of plastic (which I highly doubt), there was never any change to the analogue stick on Nintendo's official commercially released controllers.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: