Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,816 Views)
macN64
Member Avatar
My Hori Pad Mini arrived! I have a Mako Pad too, so now I can have two player matches without worring about the control stick. :)
Youtube
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

macN64
Member Avatar
Yeah, I've tried it out but I'm still getting used to it. It's probably too early for me to decide if it's any good or not but the stick seems quite similar to the Wii numchuck's stick (which I suspect is similer to the gamecube stick).
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
I've had a bit more expereance with it now. The stick looks very similer to the gamecube stick and probally works the same. It's really good for rotating, like when you verse bowser on Mario 64. It seems a bit less "accurate" than an official stick in good condition though.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
I got a yellow one. ^_^
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
I recognize the transparent controller on the left. Betawolf reviewed it and thought highly of it. It should be interesting to see what you think of it. :)

Seeing this is a topic about controllers and all, this is probably a good time to ask this. The "Performance Superpad 64" has a metal analogue stick. Floorcat tried to open the controller, but didn't manage.
From Floorcat's Review:

However, it wasn't exactly the same as the 2-pronged version... the metal stick goes directly into a plastic base, so I'm a little hesitant to say exactly how much more durable this is than the first-party stick. Unfortunately, the manufacturers had applied an extra 50lbs. of torque when screwing this controller together, so I ended up stripping one of the screw-heads when attempting to take a peek inside, so I won't be able to offer better info until I either drill the screw out, or just get a second of these controllers. It's too bad, because I had also wanted to apply some lubrication in there, since it feels like there's a little bit of friction at the base.

Has anyone tried it since? You could give an official controller a stick transplant. I think there's potential here. :)
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Rubbish! :-/ Oh well.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
I like it. The control stick feels more precise than than any other controler I've used. If only they were more durable... I wish modern controlers still had sticks like it. :mellow:
The numchuck stick is horrible. You really notice when you're trying to walk slowly.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
danny_galaga
Feb 19 2010, 09:01 PM
Whatever you do though, don't throw your old one out. I have a cunning plan (that's been in the works for years of course) that can make use of your old ones...
:huh:
*watching this space*
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
l0whit07
Mar 30 2010, 05:00 PM
I need some help with the SuperPad 64 Plus and the MakoPads. Neither of these work correctly when a rumble pak is inserted. Only certain buttons work and the joysticks do not work. I find it odd that both of my controllers would be messed up the same way. Is this a common problem with these controllers? Thanks everyone.
I own a Makopad but I've not used it in ages. I'll go and check. I can tell you, however, that my Sharkpad (made by the same company) doesn't work right with a controler pack inserted. I'll get back to you.

Edit:

Interesting results! I tried out three controllers using a controller pack and rumble pack. The three controllers were:
- SharkPad Pro 2 (or squared?) - I believe it's a SuperPad 64 Plus under a different name. It looks like one of these (alxbly's picture)
- Makopad
- SharkPad Pro - another controller (presumably by the same company) that I remember having trouble with when using memory packs.
The game I tried them with was Vigilante 8: Second Offence.

The SharkPad Pro 2 (SuperPad 64 Plus) and MakoPad behaved the same way with both packs. Depending on how far in you pushed the rumble pack, the game either treated it as a damaged/corrupt memory pack or did not recognise it at all. Just to be clear, the pack did not rumble when it should have (when I got attacked), but all the buttons worked as they should. The controller pack worked fine as normal with both controllers. No trouble with buttons or the control stick.

The SharkPad Pro on the other hand...

The control pack was recognised and I think it functioned correctly. I'm a bit unsure as, although I loaded my save, the start button didn't work and I couldn't get past the title screen to make sure it worked. >_< The A and B buttons didn't work either and I had no opportunity to try out the stick. I could go and test it again with a different game if you really want to know.

Things get really weird when you insert a rumble pack. A and B worked correctly, but thatís about it! Neither the start button or the control stick worked. Seeing as I couldn't get passed the title screen I put the controller down and reached over to switch the console off. As soon as I put it down, the title was replaced by the menu screen, as though I had pressed the start button. It turns out that pushing the rumble pack in as far as it goes has the same effect as pushing the start button normally (i.e. starting or pausing a game). :blink:

It gets better. By pushing the rumble pack up or down (wiggling it), you can create the same effect as moving the control stick. I managed to move up and down through the menus. Once I got a match started by repeatedly patting the rumble pack to "press start", I tried out the "stick" more fully. The plastic mold of the controller left no room to move it from side to side, so I had to settle with simple up and down movements. When I pushed it up, my car acted as though I pressed diagonally up/left, and when I pushed it down, the opposite, diagonally down/right. And yes, it did rumble when I was attacked.

Bizarre. :eh:
Edited by macN64, Mar 31 2010, 04:22 PM.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Ah screw it, I'll just make a new post.

Edit:

Interesting results! I tried out three controllers using a controller pack and rumble pack. The three controllers were:
- SharkPad Pro 2 (or squared?) - I believe it's a SuperPad 64 Plus under a different name. It looks like one of these (alxbly's picture)
- Makopad
- SharkPad Pro - another controller (presumably by the same company) that I remember having trouble with when using memory packs.
The game I tried them with was Vigilante 8: Second Offence.

The SharkPad Pro 2 (SuperPad 64 Plus) and MakoPad behaved the same way with both packs. Depending on how far in you pushed the rumble pack, the game either treated it as a damaged/corrupt memory pack or did not recognise it at all. Just to be clear, the pack did not rumble when it should have (when I got attacked), but all the buttons worked as they should. The controller pack worked fine as normal with both controllers. No trouble with buttons or the control stick.

The SharkPad Pro on the other hand...

The control pack was recognised and I think it functioned correctly. I'm a bit unsure as, although I loaded my save, the start button didn't work and I couldn't get past the title screen to make sure it worked. The A and B buttons didn't work either and I had no opportunity to try out the stick. I could go and test it again with a different game if you really want to know.

Things get really weird when you insert a rumble pack. A and B worked correctly, but thatís about it! Neither the start button or the control stick worked. >_< Seeing as I couldn't get passed the title screen I put the controller down and reached over to switch the console off. As soon as I put it down, the title was replaced by the menu screen, as though I had pressed the start button. It turns out that pushing the rumble pack in as far as it goes has the same effect as pushing the start button normally (i.e. starting or pausing a game). :blink:

It gets better. By pushing the rumble pack up or down (wiggling it), you can create the same effect as moving the control stick. I managed to move up and down through the menus. Once I got a match started by repeatedly patting the rumble pack to "press start", I tried out the "stick" more fully. The plastic mold of the controller left no room to move it from side to side, so I had to settle with simple up and down movements. When I pushed it up, my car acted as though I pressed diagonally up/left, and when I pushed it down, the opposite, diagonally down/right. And yes, it did rumble when I was attacked.

Bizarre. :eh:
Edited by macN64, Mar 31 2010, 04:25 PM.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
I tried out the Sharkpad Pro with the rumble pack again today. It seems that pushing the rumble pack different distances into the controller causes different button functions to occur. By wiggling the pack, I changed how far into the controller the pack was and it was this that caused different functions to happen. The direction of moving the pack hasn't anything to do with it.

The functions caused go something like this, with L button being the minimal amount it can be inserted and B button/control stick all the way in:
- L button held down
- Start button held down
- A button held down
- R button held down
- B button held down/control stick down left

When any of these functions occur, the start, L and R buttons and the control stick stop working (the controler detects... something in the back). This list is disputable since, as you can imagine, it's very difficult to smoothly adjust the rumble pack due to the tiny distance involved. Control stick up/left should probably be in there somewhere, but I didn't notice it.
Edited by macN64, Apr 1 2010, 01:07 PM.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
R3dfi3lD
Nov 15 2012, 07:43 PM
Does anyone here have the interact Sharkpad Pro? If so, I would like to know if it's thumbstick is the same or better than the nintendo original controller.
This?
Posted Image

Yeah, I've got... well, more than a few. >_<

The control stick in the sharkpad is a different beast altogether, it doesn't really feel like an official one at all. In my opinion, it isn't as good as an official stick in good condition, but better than a worn stick, or those gcn style replacements. With all that said, I quite like them.

You can see the control stick range of two of my sharkpad pro controllers here.

A word of warning - as hinted at in the link above. the behaviour of the control stick doesn't appear consistent across all sharkpad pro controllers, at least in my experience. When buying one, you don't know what you'll end up getting.
Youtube

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply