Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (39,407 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I've been accidentally buying more N64 controllers recently. Seems like I might eventually accomplish one of the goals I'd set myself when I started up N64 Answers; review all the N64 controllers available.

Here's the controllers I own that I've still got to review (or re-review):

Posted Image

If you click that image you can see it at full size.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Feb 3 2009, 07:57 PM
A lot of those seem to have a similar design... Perhaps you could write out a standardized review for them to save some time. They're all probably crap anyway. :D
There's actually a few decent controllers there (I was also surprised to find that out, lol). And one that just might be the best third party controller you can buy! :omg:

Or I might just be lying. >:-]

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
macN64
Feb 4 2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone tried it since? You could give an official controller a stick transplant. I think there's potential here. :)
I opened it, it's a different stick with different connections so it wouldn't be a straight swop. I can't remember if it has the same number of wires or not.

In any case, the official sticks work well, just lube them to make sure that they last. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It's crap. If you need more detail check out my review of this controller:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8003824&t=7062722

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I got yet another N64 controller, and this one is made by Blaze:

Posted Image

When I opened it up I was kind of excited because of this:

Posted Image

You can see that there's a lot of wires in the back and there's also some internal structures above the left and right "prongs" of the controller. Could these be built in rumble... they looked kinda similar to the rumble devices visible in see-thru xbox controllers. And that would be pretty cool, the only N64 controller that I know of that has rumble built in! :o :w00t:

But it's not. >_<

It's actually just a joint in the plastic which enables the "prongs" to be moved (compare this photo with the first one for the full mind blowing effect):

Posted Image

Whoopy-do. <_< Has anyone ever thought that movable handles on a controller would be desirable? I just don't get it... :eh: :nope:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It's a variant of the Logic 3 Trident Pad:

Posted Image

There are a few variations of this design, probably the most common is the Logic 3 6T4 controller:

Posted Image

But only the Hip Gear controller has the newer style control stick. It still must be fairly common on eBay, because I've got a few photos of it, including one boxed one.

Posted ImagePosted Image

So... how does it play? If it's anything like the Trident or 6T4 then it'll be a good controller... except for the awkward shape.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Apr 15 2009, 01:36 AM
Is it your goal to try out every controller in existence?
Pretty much. I've tried most of them now, only a few left that I know of.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It's not a goal I'm taking too seriously, to be honest. If I see a controller that I haven't tried then I'll buy it but a compiling a list... I'm not sure if I'm that dedicated. ^_^

Usually if I see one I haven't seen before on eBay then I'll save any photos there are of it. That's as much as I can be bothered with just now. I'm not sure there'd be any demand for a list of third party controllers so I don't want to spend any time on it. :mellow: Plus, I don't really have much time just now.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
BetaWolf

Please tell us you don't knowingly buy bad controllers..
No-one can force you to read the posts in a topic before posting but I think it might help. ;) As I said in my last post "If I see a controller that I haven't tried then I'll buy it". And if I haven't tried a controller then how can I know whether it's good or bad?

I don't think I've ever bought a controller knowing that it's not very good, although with most third party controllers I've come to expect the worst. But hopefully me buying a bad controller and reviewing it can maybe help other people to avoid that kind of controller in the future. So, yeah, sometimes I do inadvertantly buy crap controllers... but I make sure that other people know that they are rubbish so they don't make the same mistake.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
D.J Cat

Yeah, does anyone have any/much experience with these?
(probably Alxby)

And the N64 to pc converter would be great too.
Is there a Gamecube to N64 one?
I've not used the N64 to Playstation adapter. I recently ordered the N64 to USB adapter so I'll post impressions of it when it arrives. There was a home-made N64 to Gamecube coverter cable that someone was selling, primarily for use on the Wii virtual console:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_wii/index.php?category=

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It's a renamed version of this controller:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8003814&t=7062722

I've tried two versions of these controllers and they're not very good. The controller itself is actually quite comfortable but the analogue stick is pretty bad and looks like it would be more prone to wear than official controllers. Which is a shame, because there's laods of them available new on eBay... if you can't find anything better these would do, but I'd strongly suggest something else.

If you want a decent third party pad try the Superpad/Makopad:

Posted Image

or if you want something with a more conventional design try the Interact Sharkpad Pro:

Posted Image

Both are really excellent, durable controllers with good analogue sticks. You might not be able to get one new but even a used one is likely to last longer than the controllers you're considering. :-/

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
BetaWolf
Apr 29 2009, 11:20 AM
I was the first one to review it, remember?
First and only, as far as I can see. :P But, yeah, I forgot you already had one of those. If you don't want to shop online then your choices are somewhat limited. In those circumstances maybe it would be best to buy the new controllers and put up with them until you find something better (i.e. an official controller in good condition).

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I've just opened up the N64 controller I've been using since 2004 to see how well the ceramic grease is holding up. If I remember rightly, I've opened it up twice in the past five years; once about a year after I got it and I opened sometime in 2007 to check that everything was okay.

Five years on and the control stick is still in excellent condition; there's no noticable difference from the day that I first lubed it. Today I cleaned everything inside and reapplied ceramic grease to the internal parts. The old ceramic grease showed no signs of wear (it didn't seem to have any powder residue in it) and neither do the internal parts of the control stick.

I can't guarantee that ceramic grease is a permanent cure to the N64 control stick wearing out but this latest inspection gives me hope that a little internal lubrication can extend the life of N64 controllers considerably.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
The most rare (the Nintendo Power controllers) are well documented here, and the most common (the standard grey controller) is obvious but the "rarity" of the controllers on the rest of the list is much more difficult to prove. The only way to confirm any of this is to monitor eBay and provide statistical results but even then it's gonna be difficult to gauge how accurate the info is... unless you monitor every single controller being sold individually and every single controller being sold with a console. Price doesn't mean anything when it comes to rarity, a higher price just means that the demands for something is perceived to be higher.

And remember that some controllers will be perceived to have a value (the gold controller for example) so it's more likely that it will be sold as an individual item, where as the Pokemon controller may actually be more common but it's just that it's being sold with the Pokemon consoles.

I'd say the list would be more like this:

Very common:

Grey
Atomic Purple
Red
Green
Black
Blue
Yellow

Less common:

Jungle Green
Smoke
Grape
Fire
Ice
Watermelon
Gold
Extreme Green
Pokemon Controller

Rare

Donkey Kong 64 Banana Bunch
Nintendo Power 100
Millennium 2000

But even then, I can't be certain if Gold really is less common than Red, Green, Blue or Black. There may just be more demand for gold controllers so they are bought quickly when they appear on ebay, or it may be that people don't want to sell gold controllers. It's really, really difficult to judge. :-/ >_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Grease the inside and outside of the curves of both black plastic pivots, as circled here:

Posted Image

Don't use grease on the cogs at the side. You also need to grease the bottom and inside of the recess on the ball of the control stick as shown here:

Posted Image

Lastly put a very light covering of grease inside the concave circular area within the control stick's inner-most casing:

Posted Image

Only use a very light covering of grease on each part, it should be pretty much clear when applied. Use too much and you can screw up the control sensitivity.

The hardest part is opening the control stick casing, be very gentle with the catches on the back which keep it held together (shown below). Snap them and you've ruined your control stick.

Posted Image

The best advice I can give is just take your time and if you get stuck post here. I should be able to help. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
13 controllers... lol, you're gonna be quite busy! Are you reselling them on ebay?

Ceramic grease doesn't cure every controller... unfortunately. :-/ If it's stick is already loose then cleaning and applying ceramic grease might help a little, but the control stick will still feel worn. A lot of the third party controllers are quite different inside, some of them have inner casings that are glued together and that means it's impossible to get inside to apply any ceramic grease.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Green64
Jul 11 2009, 04:49 AM
Oh yeah when you said don't grease the cogs, is that what the arrow is pointing to in the second picture?
Nope, the arrow is pointing to the indent on the control stick (you do need to grease that). The cogs are on the one side of each pivot.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
There's only one US Pokemon controller, which is the one available with the Pikachu edition console. It has a blue upper half and a yellow lower half:

Posted Image

The US Pokemon Stadium set came with an atomic purple controller:

Posted Image

In the UK and Australia it came with a yellow and blue controller, with the colors reversed from the Pikachu N64 controller (i.e. yellow top, blue bottom):

Posted Image

And there's the Japanese Pikachu editions which have a different graphic on the front, and the blue one is a lighter blue than the US and European releases:

Posted ImagePosted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Sorry, double post. Just to confirm, in my lists I've only intended to group the controllers into three categories; very common, less common and rare. I've not got enough info to be able to list them in order within those lists.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jul 16 2009, 06:23 PM
I don't know where it was available but it looks like it has a yellow Pokémon controller which you say was available only in UK and Australia so it might not be a US release.
Yeah, I was never able to confirm that that was released in the US. I'm about 90% certain it wasn't... but still, that other 10%... >_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I greased the main N64 controller that I use about five years ago and it's not needed to be re-done in that time. I cleaned everything and re-applied grease just recently (just to be sure), but there was no sign of any wear and there was still enough lube on the parts theat needed it.

So, I'd say that if you've done it properly it should last at least five years. Of course, if you have a controller that's in near-constant use the grease might need to be reapplied sooner. if you're worried then open it up in a year or two and see how things look, it should easily last until then. :)
Edited by alxbly, Jul 18 2009, 07:17 AM.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Chaos66
Jul 19 2009, 05:48 AM
Here are some pics of our worst control sticks... You can see how wide the indents have gotten.

Those ones look like they're beyond repair and your only option to make them work properly again is to buy replacement parts. However, replacement sticks can be expensive (sometimes the same cost as a controller) and there's no guarantee of quality.

What I'd do is trade those controllers in for something else (if you know anywhere that will take N64 controllers for trade), or maybe keep one for spares. There's still plenty of good condition N64 controllers out there, so it's not worthwhile to hang on to a controller that's worn out. Then just be on the lookout for N64 controllers in good condition.

You don't have to pay ebay prices (although sometimes you can get good bargains there), as N64 controller quite often appear in garage sales, pawn and thrift stores, etc, etc. Just make sure to try out the stick before you buy. As a general rule, the movement should be smooth and the stick should snap back to the middle when released. If it leans too much to one side then it's not worth buying.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Yoshi, you seem very keen to see how much everything is worth. Why worry about that? Ask "how much is it worth to me" and if you thought it was worth $33.50 then you got a good deal. :)

Unless the real question is how much could you resell it for on ebay? In which case my answer would be "do your own homework". ;)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Yoshi64
Jul 28 2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't seen an extension cable for you controller OFFICIALLY made Nintendo for the Nintendo 64 or Gamecube, did they ever make any?
Nope, Nintendo never made any official controller extension cords.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Ganondorf
Sep 7 2009, 11:40 PM
Hi, I was wondering if I got a Japanese or American controller would it work with a PAL N64 console? Thanks.
Hi,

Yes, controllers will work regardless of their native country. I used both US and Japanese N64 controllers with my PAL consoles and they work fine. :) The same applies to any N64 accessory, so you could use US or Japanese expansion paks, rumble paks or controller paks (memory cards).

The only thing to be wary of if you decide to import a controller pak is that different languages won't be able to be saved to the same memory pak; for example, if you try to save a Japanese game onto a pak which already has UK saves then the pak state the it's needs to be reformatted. And if you choose to reformat it will delete the UK saves.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Myiico is a rebranding of this controller:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8003814&t=7155127

There's lots of variations of this controller, but as far as I can tell, they're all the same and they're not very good.

Posted Image

I've tried the 2-Tech and Yobo versions; both are identical except for color, branding and packaging. And both are crap controllers. >_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Sorry man, I wish these were good because there's an endless supply of them on eBay. They're okay-ish, I guess, but the control stick looks like it'll wear out quickly and it's no good for first person shooters because it's unbalanced. You'd be better off trying to track down a good condition official controller.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
alxbly
Mar 1 2008, 02:57 PM
The company no longer exists but here's a scan of an advert they placed in a N64 magazine:

Posted Image

And it looks like I got the name of your controllers finish wrong, it's actually "Chrome Leopard". >_<
Woah, I didn't think it was over a year ago that we were discussing those resprayed controllers... time flies, I guess. Anyway, I managed to get two of them in good condition and with their original boxes. Here they are:

Posted Image

The quality of the respray is really good. I'll post more photos later. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Retro Junkie
Oct 17 2009, 07:03 AM
It would be hard for me to use them playing games.
I don't think I'm gonna use them much, just in case I drop them or something. They're probably gonna be boxed up and stored safe somewhere until I get an urge to use them. :)

Here's more photos of the silver-finished one, which the company called Chrome Leopard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's the other. It's finish was called "Desert Storm":

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see in the last photo, the repray job on the Desert Storm controller is quite detailed; there's silver, yellow and dark brown (it looks black but it actually seems to be very dark brown). The yellow is glossy so it's shinier than a standard yellow N64 controller.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
New N64 official controllers seem to be going up in price on eBay these days. New ones used to be relatively easy to find at a modest price but now... >_<

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: