Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (41,573 Views)
Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I want a Super Pad so badly, that would be the only 3rd party controller I would ever buy, check your pawn shops, I usually can get newish type N64 controllers their with tight joysticks.

:n64: :n64: :n64: :n64:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I loved using it for games that you could use the d-pad with, on hand on the left and one on the right none in the middle, it was so comfortable, but I hold the joystick very strangely compared to everyone else, kind of like a classic joystick combined with a pencil so that might be why it was so uncomfortable, not that bad, but I can't use just my thumb. Overall 8/10

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Here is a list of how rare I think the official N64 controllers are based on how many times I come across them and how pricey they are.

Please correct me if you can, N. America only.

Least Rare to Most Rare:

Grey
Atomic Purple
Red
Green
Black
Blue
Yellow
Jungle Green
Smoke
Grape
Fire
Ice
Watermelon
Gold
Extreme Green
Pokemon Controller
Donkey Kong 64 Banana Bunch
Nintendo Power 100
Millennium 2000

Edited by Yoshi64, Jul 6 2009, 01:47 AM.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I just ordered some Ceramic Grease for my N64 joy sticks off of eBay and I was wondering where exactly do you put the grease? On all the components or just the bottom of the joystick where it touches the joystick case? Do I put it on all pivots?

Posted Image

Thanks
Edited by Yoshi64, Jul 8 2009, 09:20 PM.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ok, thanks. So you don't put any grease on those indents at the bottom of your control stick where the arrow points on the second picture?

I'm going to be greasing about 13 or more controllers so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Will I have enough with one tube?

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
alxbly
Jul 11 2009, 01:20 AM
13 controllers... lol, you're gonna be quite busy! Are you reselling them on ebay?

Ceramic grease doesn't cure every controller... unfortunately. :-/ If it's stick is already loose then cleaning and applying ceramic grease might help a little, but the control stick will still feel worn. A lot of the third party controllers are quite different inside, some of them have inner casings that are glued together and that means it's impossible to get inside to apply any ceramic grease.
Hahah yeah. I'm not going to sell them, just trying to stop them from wearing because a lot of them are very tight and I've been playing on the looser ones to preserve the tight sticks, and it's getting annoying. So I'm just going to spend some time cleaning out all my controllers an putting grease in them so they work to max efficiency.... and I won't have to feel like I'm ruining the controller when I play hahahaha. They are all official Nintendo:mario: controllers, with the exception of my super pad 64 which has a great joystick design in it already. My bro is gonna help me so hopefully we can get it done pretty fast. I like having all my things really clean though and haven't gotten around to sanitizing and brushing down all my controllers, I've done a few in the past that were more noticeably dirty, but cleaning controllers is pretty time consuming so I'm just going to get it out of the way in one day hahahah.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Oh yeah when you said don't grease the cogs, is that what the arrow is pointing to in the second picture?

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Chaos66
Jul 17 2009, 10:09 PM
Took like 2 hours to due 4 controllers.
It took 2 hours just cause I scrubbed them all down with a toothbrush, warm water and soap.

I just did 4 of my controllers, they work like magic or like a control stick should work (without the grinding feeling) It's sweet, I also tried stretching the spring which also helps.

How long should it be before I should apply more grease. I think I heard mop say it still works great after a year, but I don't know if if anyone has done it for longer or knows when it runs out.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
alxbly
Jul 19 2009, 07:54 AM
Chaos66
Jul 19 2009, 05:48 AM
Here are some pics of our worst control sticks... You can see how wide the indents have gotten.

Those ones look like they're beyond repair and your only option to make them work properly again is to buy replacement parts. However, replacement sticks can be expensive (sometimes the same cost as a controller) and there's no guarantee of quality.

What I'd do is trade those controllers in for something else (if you know anywhere that will take N64 controllers for trade), or maybe keep one for spares. There's still plenty of good condition N64 controllers out there, so it's not worthwhile to hang on to a controller that's worn out. Then just be on the lookout for N64 controllers in good condition.

You don't have to pay ebay prices (although sometimes you can get good bargains there), as N64 controller quite often appear in garage sales, pawn and thrift stores, etc, etc. Just make sure to try out the stick before you buy. As a general rule, the movement should be smooth and the stick should snap back to the middle when released. If it leans too much to one side then it's not worth buying.
Yeah I got two replacement joysticks for 9.99 with free shipping,, and I put those in the bad ones all my other controllers have tight sticks now except my gray one is a little loose, but I don't really use it because I have 8, I'm selling 4 of my other controllers with the Green system to make some extra cash on ebay, the auction should be up Monday or Tuesday, it is going to be a pretty big lot.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Posted Image

Got it for 33.50$ total

I know I already asked the "how much is it worth" question, but this one might be more pinpoint able. How much is the controller worth? I know it is the least rare of the Nintendo Power bunch, so any thoughts?

Also how many people on here actually got their controller straight from the Nintendo Power :mario: and didn't buy it secondhand?

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I like to know if I am overpaying for something, usually I won't buy it if it "seems" like I am, but I also like to know if I did get a good deal or not. I won't resell any items that are rare, usually the only reason I do sell things is to pay for the more rare items.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I haven't seen an extension cable for you controller OFFICIALLY made Nintendo for the Nintendo 64 or Gamecube, did they ever make any?

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Franklint
Aug 4 2009, 10:01 AM
I think time to stop making lots of new dead-end threads. It's quality these guys want, not quantity. Spend some time responding to threads also.

Yay for mini-modding.

Cheers,
Franklint
I am asking a freaking question, not trying to make a huge thread. Not like there is much else going on here. I just wanted an answer that you didn't give me, thanks alxbly.

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply