Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,557 Views)
lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
I do have a second copy of the gold Nintendo Power 100 Issue controller I would part with. It does have some wear. I also have the rarest Millennium 2000 controller but I am not keen to part with it, but I might for the right price. The joystick is tight and the controller is in great shape apart from a few surface scratches. I am the second owner of most of these controllers as I started collecting in 2008 but have been playing since 1998.

I have roughly 40 first party Nintendo 64 controllers, and all 19 US released ones (including the Pikachu one not in most pictures from me). I am trying to get 4 of each of the Funtastic controllers to match the systems. I have a youtube video of it as well:
Youtube Video of Every Single Nintendo 64 Console and Controller (US)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And just for good measure my systems (All US):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lithium017
Member Avatar
I realize collecting to not use is pointless sometimes. I have a very vast SNES collection, most of the games complete but atleast I play those :). As for the 10 Nintendo 64's I own...well thats just my crutch and if someone wants to play N64 they can find the standard black console with a gray controller for like $20 or less...I will keep the coloured rarer ones!

lithium017
Member Avatar
Applepieman
Apr 3 2010, 02:27 PM
Alright now you need 10 tvs to hook up the N64s to and play 10 n64 games at the same time.
I actually have quite a few tvs and we have had 4 going at once trying to go as far as possible playing OOT in one night. My goal is to have a Mario Kart 64 or Super Smash Bros tournament with 16 people or so...now THAT would be fantastic.

lithium017
Member Avatar
I need help:
I have found and I am about to purchase the Mario Kart Black / Grey Controller-however there is no box. How can I tell this is different from a make up from a black and grey one? Are the colours different at all?

lithium017
Member Avatar
Shangyou
Apr 14 2010, 03:12 AM
lithium017
Apr 14 2010, 12:08 AM
I need help:
I have found and I am about to purchase the Mario Kart Black / Grey Controller-however there is no box. How can I tell this is different from a make up from a black and grey one? Are the colours different at all?
I just took a picture to compare my Mario Kart controller and a normal grey controller.
My MK controller has been used for a while now so it's not as white as it used to be and it's kinda dirty actually but you can tell from the picture that it's still whiter than the grey controller.
My grey controller hasn't been used at all BTW.

Posted Image
Thanks for taking the time and the pics! I have heard that the top is more matte black and not as glossy as the standard black controller-can you confirm this as well by any chance?

Thanks!

lithium017
Member Avatar
That is awesome! How did you mount them to the wood?

There is one other Japanese one I am skeptical about, but the information comes from finngamer who I do trust.

Hello Mack - Black/gray like the Mario Kart controller, but with with a lion-emblem on top. Sold only in Hello Mack shops. Extremely rare.
Regions: JAP
Here is his website:
Nintendo 64 Collection

Massive collector in Europe who has an awesome youtube page I follow.

That would bring the actual controllers to 28 + the 3 other ones you have. That is a lot! I only have 23 so far!
Missing 5 more (orange pikachu, yellow pokemon, justco, clear white/red, and Hello Mack)

lithium017
Member Avatar
I had an idea when I saw some wiring for what I think was meant for a shoe rack. I took the wire and cut it a bit and bent it so it could fit into a 2 foot shelf. I thought the controllers would fit nicely, but unfortunately I am not too pleased with the result, and space is an issue too. Good thing I only spent $4 to try it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am going to change them back to my simple display on a wide, long shelf for now.

And Coorsy, I have thought of using plastic for a while. I would like to do something with cubes using stands to hold the controllers in each cube with a name above the controller for the colour and location, but sadly my parents keep talking of moving and I do not want to commit to something I can't use in my student location. I think it will be the nicest way to do it though.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Alice Lawless
Nov 8 2010, 10:46 AM
That's not a bad way to do it. I mean, sure there are better but, there are worse. I don't have more than four controllers, so it's not yet worth trying for me, but what about finding a way to use a series of fishing line? Like make a Spider-Man-like web that each controller rests in at an angle, and then tuck the wired behind it, in between some of the fishing line. It'll be practically invisible and give off the levitation look. Just an idea.
Interesting idea for sure. I never thought of that and it would look neat with the transparent line, but I do not think I want the fishing wire everywhere, especially when you have so many controllers. I am going to stick with a shelf display for now :yeah:

lithium017
Member Avatar
I thought I would post this here. It is sort of how I am displaying my controllers anyways.
Starting Wednesday night, I had a great run of finds. Possibly the best one was this cabinet I found for FREE that is in excellent shape with a light built in at the top and glass shelves so the light can go through. I decided to see if the boxes for the Funtastic consoles would fit with the systems displayed as the light should look cool going through them from above. They all fit-but just barely. I put in the 4 Funtastic boxes I have, the 6 Funtastic consoles, 4 matching controllers to each of the 6 consoles, the 6 solid colored boxes, and 2 of each of the DK64, Millennium 2000, and NP 100 controllers as the case should protect them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it looks very neat and I can't wait to complete the set with the 2 boxes I am missing :mario:

lithium017
Member Avatar
I wonder if that Rareware console was announced before the Gold Nintendo 64. It looks fantastic though!

lithium017
Member Avatar
A friend in Japan has just informed me of the correct spelling of the "Hello Mack" controller:

"Oh and just a quick FYI, I bought a godzilla toy last week and it had a "Hello! Mac" store sticker on the outside - just thought I would let you know the correct spelling of the stores name"

So it is called the "Hello! Mac" controller. Interesting. I wonder if this could help us find more.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Sorry noone seems to be of help Heinrold.

Update pic of my Controller Collection:

Posted Image

And a very special new addition:

Posted Image

lithium017
Member Avatar
Interesting...this blue is much darker than most Pokemon controllers. It is DEFINITELY different from the lighter blue Pokemon controller and this is not the Japanese Pikachu controllers. Reference picture of normal blue one is second link:

Dark Blue Pokemon Controller

Normal Blue Pokemon Controller

Now I can't buy it since I am in Canada. Anyone willing to offer info on this or buy it and send it to me?

lithium017
Member Avatar
SicCooper
Dec 3 2011, 08:28 PM
Got it in the mail today! This box is MINTY! and the controller I'm pretty sure has never been used. It still feels sort of "dry/waxy" like brand new :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The seller also threw in a sealed pack of Mario cards from 1988 for free :)

Posted Image

Now here is my controller collection:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks awesome. I love seeing this set together.

That Australian grape box looks cool too! I have doubles of the Australian Ice Blue box (no controller). I will send you a PM

lithium017
Member Avatar
I recently got my hands on a Geoffrey controller :), Clear Black controller and Midnight Blue controller

I am now only missing the Hello Mack
Edited by lithium017, Jul 8 2012, 10:26 PM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
The midnight blue one I did get from you ddr - just not sure if I had even mentioned it in the past month or so.

I just spent a good afternoon cleaning up my game room and taking a room tour video - the Geoffrey (it is unboxed) can be seen in the video which will be uploaded in a few hours :yeah:
Edited by lithium017, Jul 8 2012, 10:26 PM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
A fake Millennium has been posted, and one already sold for $250. I reported him and the item. Paying that much for a fake, or paying anything for a fake should not be allowed and I would be pissed to get one.

Fake Millennium 2000 Controller

I think anyone who cares about this kind of thing should report him. It is just under the pictures, on the right hand side as "Report Item". I reported it as a replica or a fake. We need to make a precedent so that fakes are not tolerated.
Edited by lithium017, Jul 14 2012, 07:55 PM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
I just can't believe he charged $250 for one and it sold. The current one does state replica in the auction description and asking like $40 for a replica is not disgusting - but ebay does not usually tolerate replicas such as fake Gameboy games

lithium017
Member Avatar
finngamer
Jul 15 2012, 12:45 PM
I was on my way to report this as well, but good that people are aware of it.

Way too shiny, of course, but still seemed to be good enough to sell for $250... He does say it's a replica on the description, but then how the hell does he use the word "Original" in the auction title?
I think we should all report it - the more the better for sure. I agree - using the word original is very misleading

Any thoughts from you finngamer about fakes? Is this something you have seen much of in your years of collecting?

lithium017
Member Avatar
finngamer
Jul 15 2012, 03:12 PM
lithium017
Jul 15 2012, 01:54 PM
Any thoughts from you finngamer about fakes? Is this something you have seen much of in your years of collecting?
Faked peripherals? Never. Actually didn't even occur to me, but if there's one suitable target, it's N64 controllers. Awfully easy to produce a Geoffrey or Hello Mac sticker and stick it to a Mario Kart controller, if you have access to the picture... Scary stuff.

I just bought a US version of Metal Slug X (AES) for around 900 euros, needless to say I want to get the real deal at that price. The Neo-Geo AES is nowadays a challenging console to collect for, as counterfeitters are getting better all the time and the big games attract lots of unwanted attention. Basically any game over $500 could be a bootleg that's virtually unrecognisable from pictures. That's why I buy those kind of games from established collectors over at neo-geo.com forums, I'd be too scared to use eBay.
Just saw your response now finngamer, sorry for the delay. Thanks for sharing your input - saying it is scary is definitely correct. I think anything with such a high price tag is open to illegal activity and sales and this just scares me. I think I will follow your lead and only purchase very rare items from established collectors.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Woa nice! Finngamer and Blue got the two tone boxed Japanese Black / Gray controllers and ddr got the Hello Mac! controller unboxed! I get busy with school and lots happens. Congrats guys!

lithium017
Member Avatar
Nice set Luke! I am happy I sold off my doubles of those Nintendo Power controllers. I feel bad having multiples of the exact same collectible when others are struggling to find one

lithium017
Member Avatar
CoachLuke22
Jun 1 2013, 08:51 PM
The super rare Jap controllers arent great looking. It seems like they could have been way more creative when designing these controllers. They look like somebody put together two different controllers and then put a sticker on them.
Well said Luke! I 100% agree! Due to their simple look, I get the impression that Nintendo did not really put any effort into them and therefore they will *likely* not be that rare (mass produced in those chain stores - just need to find more of them)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply