Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,517 Views)
l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hello,

Does anyone know where you can get replacement joysticks for the official N64 controllers? I checked ebay and they are like 8 dollars apiece after shipping. I wouldn't mind have a few back up joysticks. I have 2 controllers that need joysticks replaced. The controllers are in great shape except the joysticks, but I find it hard to justify 8 dollars just for a joystick. I can basically get another controller for that.

What do you all do with controllers that need joysticks replaced? Replace them or scrap them? Thanks for your help.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks. Yeah I read a guide on how to lubricate and clean the joysticks, but I don't think that fixes loose joysticks. As far as I know the only way to fix them is to replace them. Hopefully someone knows if there is a place you can get a joystick for cheaper than $8 dollars apiece. Maybe I'm just being cheap but that seems high.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks for the response. I seen those ones on ebay, but they are $11 dollars after shipping. I have been avoiding lubricating the joysticks, but I don't know if I can avoid it any longer. So many people say to do it. I took a loose joystick apart awhile ago, and needless to say I could never get it put back together. I didn't have a guide like the link you posted though either.

More than likely I'll just end up replacing the entire controller. $11 dollars for a joystick is not worth it considering I can usually get an entire controller off craigslist for $5-$10.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ha, what is your cunning plan? Sounds interesting.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
So I plan on trying to lubricate some joysticks today, but am unsure what kind of lubricant to use and what kinds to stay away from. The link alxbly posted recommended ceramic grease, but I spent like 2 hours trying to find some in stores and couldn't. I've heard that you can use Vaseline and I've also heard not to use Vaseline.

I bought "white lithium grease" it sounded good, but I'd rather not do trial and error. So what lubricant would be best to use, or good to use. Thanks!
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Didn't know if this needed a new thread or not, decided against it.

What games out there will destroy my joystick the quickest? I've heard numerous times that the Mario party games destroy controllers, so I was wondering what other games would be best to use the superpad/makopad with?

The fighting games (Super Smash, Killer Instinct, etc..) don't really require a whole lot of joystick movement, but the games get so intense that I end up slamming the joystick all over the place....

(If this needs another thread then feel free to fix it, sorry if I posted wrong)
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks again alxbly. Well that's good I shouldn't worry so much about the joysticks. I plan on replacing all my loose ones (I can't stand even if it's a little loose) and I'm working on getting them all lubricated. I took one apart, cleaned it and managed to get it put back together. However I've been having a hell of a time finding a grease without petroleum. I've heard to stay away from petroleum and plastics. I'm about to buy some of the ceramic grease off the internet here shortly.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have a question about what exactly do slow and turbo buttons do on controllers? I'm referring mainly to the kind of switches on the ascii pads, joycards, as well as a few other controllers that have these functions as buttons, Superpad plus.

I had a controller at one point, I believe for the SNES, that had these buttons but I never understood how to use them and how they function. I have the superpad 64 plus with them and don't exactly understand what they do.

I've read the reviews and they are greatly informative and very well put together, but I couldn't find info elaborating on what these functions do. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Completely different question: Could someone recommend a steering wheel for the 64? The 3 I know of are the Asciiwheel, Mad Catz wheel, and that V3 steering wheel. I was leaning towards the asciiwheel, simply because I don't have any use for pedals, and it looked kind of cool. I haven't heard very good things about wheels for games, but I want one anyway. Thanks again.
Edited by l0whit07, Mar 1 2010, 06:36 AM.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks a ton for the help alxbly. I had no idea that is what those functions did. The autofire and turbofire seem like they could really change game play... although I'm not sure in a good way or bad. I don't think I would rarely use those functions if ever. Still would love an ascii pad though.

As far as wheels go, I read the review on the interact vortex and thought it looked completely awesome. However, I've checked a few times and never seen one for sale so I didn't include it in my options. I would definitely like to find that one though. I'll probably get an ultra racer just for collecting purposes and its extremely cheap, but I would like a usable wheel.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hey thanks for the response and welcome to the site. I'm pretty new here myself. All I can tell you is that everyone is pretty nice and extremely helpful and you should like it here.

Back to controllers: There used to be 5 of those new $25 ASCII wheels. I randomly bought that one because I liked the way it look. I couldn't find many people that had tried the wheels. So it is definitely reassuring to have someone recommend it. I should be receiving the wheel tomorrow (it's in neighboring city Cincinnati). I'll hopefully be able to provide some insight to ASCII wheel.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'll be sure to take pictures of the ASCII wheel, most likely tomorrow. As far as a review goes I'll give it a shot, but it will be nowhere near as good as the ones you all have written on here.

On a side note, I got my first Hori mini pad today! It is absolutely tiny!!!! I knew they were small, but the pictures don't express how small they actually are. With that being said I think it awesome! Not only is it extremely cool looking, but it is very comfortable in my hands and works great. The joystick is extremely sensitive and you can tell just by touching it even before you play a game.

The only game I used it with was Super Mario and it worked great. The sensitivity wasn't a factor at all.

I've got another special controller hopefully arriving tomorrow too. Nothing everyone hasn't seen, but still really cool.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Well I didn't get the ASCII wheel today. It was "mis-shipped and every effort is being made to deliver it to me". So who knows on that. I did get 3 new controllers though.

Here is the mysterious controller you were looking forward to alxbly:

The almighty....nevermind, not even going to try...here:

Posted Image
I was just joking about that. I did get that today, but it isn't the one I was talking about. I bought that because the seller was pretty persuasive. She said it came with a free wireless controller. She didn't elaborate though. It was cheap and I didn't have a sharkpad so I went for it. It was some crappy dream gear ps controller.

I also got this today, first one of these, and pretty excited about it. The joystick looks like it may be off centered, but I just suck at taking pictures. It's nice and tight.

Posted Image

And this is the special controller that I was originally referring to. Extremely happy about this. It is awesome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Today has been a pretty good day. I'll post pictures of the boxes and games and stuff for the Disney Dancing thing in the Collection thread.

Oh here's this too.

Posted Image

A quick question, has anyone taken apart a Hori mini pad and the ASCII pad? I always clean everything as soon as I get it, and I don't want to mess these up. I've taken all my other ones apart with no problems, so as long as there is nothing tricky about these I should be able to do it. Just checking to make sure nothing difficult will come up... thanks!
Edited by l0whit07, Mar 9 2010, 01:20 PM.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
@alxbly: Thanks a ton for the pics of the Hori guts. Unfortunately I have a screw in mine that is stripped. I probably can get it out, but don't really need to as the controller is in good shape, I was just being ridiculous about cleaning.

Also I got the ASCII pad for I believe $55 and that was counting EMS shipping from Japan to the states. It was the only one I've ever seen for sale so I didn't think it was a bad deal.

I couldn't ever manage to get the circuit board with turbo functions and stuff out of the controller, so I was unable to clean it how I like. I was able to clean the edges where the 2 halves come together and that was the only part that needed cleaning.

I experimented a tiny bit with the ASCII pad functions and didn't see why I would need it (granted I only used it with Mario Kart). I guess it was nice not to have to hold the A button down. I still love the controller though. Very high quality and looks great.

I got the ASCII Wheel 64 today in the mail. First glance thoughts: cool box, smaller than I expected, and sturdy. Here is a brief overview of it. I'll try to work on something a little more elaborate later.

After taking it out of the box, all I had to do was apply suction cups to the bottom (which can easily be taken off and reapplied at any time) and plug it in. It is adjustable a few times from laying flat to full 90 degrees. I played with it at about 60 degree angle. It has a port for a memory card, rumble pak is probably useless. it has all the buttons as normal. The Z button takes the spot on the side of the steering wheel where the L button would be.

The wheel adds a lot of fun to the experience, but is also rather frustrating. For now I only used it on Mario Kart, and it works very good when there aren't a lot of quick sharp turns, which are plentiful in Mario Kart. I would imagine it would be great for other racing games where there aren't a lot of sharp turns in succession. The Cruisn's and Nascar games would be perfect for the wheel, I'd imagine. There doesn't seem to be much room for subtle turning. It seems like it is almost fully turn or not turning at all. If you barely turn the wheel, it is possible to get a nice subtle turn, but it really takes some getting used to, and in Mario Kart there is so much more going on then just driving. I will be sure to test it on multiple games.

@bluedogrulez: As far as reassigning the buttons, the manual says nothing of it. The buttons are all labeled A, B C, Z, etc just like on the official controller and these buttons do exactly the same thing as they would on a normal controller. It would have to be up to the game you are playing to change the control scheme. Although I don't personally see why you would ever need to. Most games use either A or Z to go, and A is right next to your thumb if you hold the steering wheel in the natural position. And Z is also on the top left side of the wheel and very accessible.

Sorry this post is rambling, and I'll be able to make things a lot clearer on the wheel in the near future.

P.S. The Disney Dancing game is extremely fun and works great. I thought it would just be a collectible, but the gf wanted to play, so of course we did. Managed to navigate myself through the menu to some sort of 3 song challenge. I'll need more time to figure it all out. First DDR game I've ever played, probably will be the only one too.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Yeah I'm no elite Mario Kart racer either, and I've never mastered the jump turn. We'll see if I can improve.

I finally got some Ceramic Grease in the mail today from Hong Kong. It is actually Cera-Grease HG, I hope it isn't different than the Ceramic Grease, or much different. The tubes look almost identical. So tomorrow I plan on going through a lot of my joysticks and lubricating them. I hope I'm successful. I've managed to take them apart and get the dust out and reassemble them, so just adding grease shouldn't change much.

Also I got one of the Mad Catz Advanced Control Pads (just their normal 3 pronged controller) today, never been opened. The joystick doesn't exactly spring back to the middle. It gets stuck for half a second and kind of lazily moves itself back to the middle, and that is if you're pulling down on it. You push it up and it gets stuck there until you pull it down. I figured it might just need loosening up? Or is that how they are? I read the review and the reviewer said there were problems with it zeroing, but this seems a little different than that. I played Wave Race with it and it seemed to work fine regardless of the joystick not going back to center. So I don't know, I just bought it because it was new, cheap, and I never used one.

It is a very sturdy controller, but the top of the joystick is slippery and I probably won't be using it much.

Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
I need some help regarding the Hudson Joycard controller. I got one in the mail today and I'm not sure if I got ripped off or not. The joystick seems extremely loose. I know that the joystick can be tightened, but I don't really understand if that means the actual joystick can be loosened or tightened. I haven't taken the joystick housing apart but looking down in to it, it does not seem to have been used very much. There is absolutely no sign of dust or scratches in the octagon part.

Also I did take the controller apart and am having problems getting it put back together. I know alxbly has/had one of these but if anyone else has one then please feel free to help.

Info on if my joystick should seem loose or not, and also on how to reassemble it. I know I'll need to post more info about what I'm having issues with reassembling, but I'll wait for a response to make sure anyone has one and will be able to help first.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Well I managed to get the controller put back together, and I am fairly certain the joystick is messed up. It doesn't work worth s***. The Z button doesn't even work, and I made sure I didn't leave anything out when reassembling it.
Edited by l0whit07, Mar 23 2010, 06:16 PM.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks alxbly.

So I took apart the controller again, and decided I would try taking the joystick apart. I was hesitant as I didn't know if it would be like the original joysticks. However they turned out to be identical on the inside. Which is good news. So I switched the insides of my Hudson with a tight joystick from an original controller. The joystick housings are different so I had to change the insides only. I took some pictures just in case anyone wanted to see the differences.

Posted Image

The joystick on the left with the black backside is from the Hudson Joycard. You'll notice the casing is different than an original controller.

Posted Image

Just a picture of the backside.

Posted Image

Here is a picture of the insides of the Hudson controller (on top) and an original joystick (bottom). You can see (kind of, my apologies for the crappy pictures) that the insides are identical and can be swapped out with ease. You can also see that my Hudson Joystick was indeed wore out. Although for how loose it was, there wasn't very much dust.

So I just switched the insides of the joysticks and loose joystick problem solved (also lubricated it while I was at it).

The z-button problem I am having I don't understand at all. It never works when I first plug the controller in. After a few minutes of messing with the turbo switch for the Z button it begins to work, even with the turbo switch turned off. And it works perfectly. I've only tried it twice and that was the case twice. The blue rubber bit for the Z button is there and seems just fine. Possibly a short in the wires? It would seem if that is the case it wouldn't ever work consistently like it does once it gets going. Any ideas?

I also do not understand the purpose of turning the joystick. When I lift the joystick and turn it, it just rotates the entire casing of the joystick and pops it out of the controller a little. I don't notice any difference in the use of the controller, besides you have to point the joystick to the side a little to go straight since the entire casing of the joystick has been twisted.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
I need some help with the SuperPad 64 Plus and the MakoPads. Neither of these work correctly when a rumble pak is inserted. Only certain buttons work and the joysticks do not work. I find it odd that both of my controllers would be messed up the same way. Is this a common problem with these controllers? Thanks everyone.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to your response to see what happens. I'm fairly certain it has to be a problem with how the controller was made. It is weird they would manufacture them knowing they were screwed up..
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
That is crazy MacN64! I tried moving my rumble pak around in my superpad64 plus (the one identical to the makopad) and it didn't do anything for me.

However I put a rumble pak in the MakoPad and it worked perfectly.... :blink: I don't know what is going on with these things. I only tried it for the shindou Mario. I remember the girl and I tried to play Mortal Kombat 4 with these 2 POS!!!! controllers and we were unable to get a match started with them both plugged in.

Thanks for the help though! I'm glad to know it isn't just my controller.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
I hope this isn't a super obvious question. I've been lubricating every joystick I get, well ones that are worth lubricating. There is a good chance that a lot of the controllers won't get much use if any. It won't hurt it any to be lubricated and to not be used will it?

I don't know the composition and properties of ceramic grease as I'm no chemist, so better safe than sorry... thanks guys.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks oldcartgamer and alxbly.

I didn't think it would but I just wanted to make sure since I had a bunch of joysticks lubricated.
Posted Image

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
You can find pictures, as well as a review of the Ascii Pad in this thread here: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7186633/1/#new. You'll have to scroll down until you come to it, but there are plenty of pictures.
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply