Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (41,698 Views)
OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
Beautiful collection, lithium! Thanks for sharing the pics! :yeah: 8) :yeah:
Scott
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
I'm no chemist either, but I wouldn't worry about it. Ceramic grease is not petroleum based, and is rated safe for plastics (made for them, in fact), so at the very worst, if you left a thumbstick lubed and unused for a number of years, the grease may possibly congeal or harden to one degree or another. Even if it did, though, it would be easy enough to remove (warm water, dishwashing detergent and a stiff toothbrush would probably handle the lion's share of it) and then recoat with fresh grease.
Scott

OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Apr 5 2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks, I found the paper/superglue method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8lmVdkHjVI

"People are tired of playing with flaccid joysticks. They want them to be stiff and erect all the time..."

Pfft. Keep your joystick well lubed and it'll stay erect for a long time. :omg: :lol:
Edited by OldCartGamer, Apr 8 2010, 07:06 PM.
Scott

OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
D'OH! :facepalm: About a month ago I picked up an absolutely minty in box red N64 controller (official Nintendo). At the same time I ordered some Tamiya Cera-Grease to lube up the thumbstick. Upon opening up the stick housing, I was greeted by an absolutely new looking mechanism, not a single spec of powder, etc. So...I lubed it up, put it back together, and have been enjoying it ever since. Fast forward to last night. It's been slightly chilly here at night with very, very low humidity, the ideal situation for static electricity. I was sitting on my bed playing some Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, and I decided to get up an get something to drink. I step off the bed onto the carpet, controller in hand, when SNAP! a big old blue spark of static arcs between my fingers and the controller. It actually made the tv screen flicker. :unsure:

Yep, you guessed it, the controller is fried! If I plug it in now, it just casues random stuff to happen, depending upon the game. Oh, my beuatiful controller! I hardly knew ye! ;_;

The lesson: watch that static electricity. If it's one of those days when you're walking around the house zapping yourself on everything you touch, make sure to touch something before grabbing a cart or controller, and be sure to put the controller down before you get up out of your chair, off your bed, etc.
Scott

OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
Good to know I'm not alone at least. :D Did the zap to the power cord fry your console or anything? :o >_>
Scott

OldCartGamer
Member Avatar
Yep, that's the upside of the story. At least it's not a total loss. Everything but the circuit board will get a second life in another controller shell, or this one will get a board swap (haven't decided yet). 8)
Edited by OldCartGamer, May 5 2010, 06:03 AM.
Scott

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply