Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,831 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
I've racked my controllers in a different manner, as seen below:

Posted Image

Each rack is comprised of 1 pieces of wood (painted) with 4 book stands ($1 from WalMart) that were bent and hot glued to the pieces of wood. Then each piece of wood had 3 holes drilled, and screwed onto the wall.
Edited by ddr2nite, Aug 10 2010, 11:08 AM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Shangyou
Aug 17 2010, 04:29 AM
That looks great! :yeah:
Thanks :) I'm going to be putting up even more here shortly... stay tuned. 8)

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
floorcat
Sep 28 2010, 08:18 PM
Daaaannnng... (fwnsp/ddr/kami) I'm really impressed with the display setups... I've seriously never thought to display controllers in such a manner, and had no idea it would look so CLASSY!!!

Makes me rather ashamed now, that I have a good sized box of controllers, just packed away under a HUGE pile of (vid-game-related) junk. Kudos to you all though!! :yeah:
Thanks floorcat :)

Wanna sell any of your old controllers that have firm joysticks to me for parts? Or perhaps you have some of the rare controllers buried in that pile? :whistle:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
ebrennan10
Oct 15 2010, 10:57 AM
That is SO cool!!! My roommates and I are trying to get some sort of artwork involving N64 in our apartment. We figure that 5 girls who just graduated college deserve some fine decor- haha. I'm showing them this tonight!
I'm glad you enjoyed the picture :yeah:

I'm in the process of rebuilding this rack to incorporate ALL of my controllers, which is somewhere around 25 uniquely different (and collectable) N64 controllers. It might not get done for another month or so, but it'll be really nice looking when I'm done. Just imagine the same picture, but with 5 or 6 different rows of controllers, and framed pictures next to them! 8)

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
clarky_n64
Nov 3 2010, 09:38 AM
Anyone ever seen this before!? Looks like an original controller but with turbo buttons :huh:
Clarky (Alex), the controller is just as Alxbly said. It is made by Hudson, who is the company that actually created the original Bomberman series of games among other titles.

This controller is considered a 3rd party controller because it was not officially licensed by Nintendo. If you were to look at the pictures (you have to go to Alxbly's Photobucket gallery to see them) you'll see that it doesn't have the official Nintendo logo on the controller anywhere - and not on the box either. Also the controller shape isn't identical to the original Nintendo ones (the handles are shorter). That's why I qualify it as a "3rd party" controller.

:omg: Fix the pictures in the Hudson controller review Alxbly! And also answer my PMs, lol :omg:

Now, I think I'm going to start a new topic of debate regarding the ASCII Pad 64. I personally consider them to be "1st party" controllers for a couple of different reasons. To read more about the ASCII Pad 64, read Alxbly's review here: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8003810&t=7186633

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Here's an article: http://www.gamesniped.com/2009/08/11/ascii-pad-64-turbo-controller/

Let me know what you guys think.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Great pics Alxbly...

I definitely know that the ASCII were mass produced. There are several of them floating around on EBay and other places for sale, so what the guy wrote in the article was definitely not true. :blasphemy bat:

I accept your logic and explainations. But I think the term "3rd party" is a pretty negative label in my opinion. 3rd party usually are the cheaply made, weird looking, has some kind of gimmick, and overall costs less than the regular controllers. According to your review, and the ASCII controllers that I own, they're very high quality if not almost BETTER than the regular/official N64 controllers.

There are obviously a whole list of "3rd party" controllers that Alxbly has reviewed... are any of THOSE licensed by Nintendo like the Hudson and ASCII controllers? :huh:

Something to the effect of what Kami said earlier... these "licensed by Nintendo" controllers should be perhaps be called "2nd party" controller. Hmm... :whistle:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I (unfortunately) agree with your definition. But I will start calling them "officially licensed" controllers.

1st party, 2nd party, 3rd party... let's all just have a MARIO PARTY!!! :mario: :dance:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
alxbly
Nov 3 2010, 02:34 PM
I uploaded another 400 N64 photos yesterday! Please be patient until I get time to sort everything out. :)
You did? I don't see any new pics in your PhotoBucket... :huh:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I just wanted to bump this topic - see if anyone else has any cool controller mounting ideas.

Also so that we don't forget our Australian friend - fwnsp (his real name's Josh) - who also has a wonderful collection. He hasn't been around our forums in a while though >_>

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I've opened/closed and reassembled probably around 50 N64 controllers by now. If there is nothing visible that seem to be damaged to the controller, that usually suggests that there is a hardware failure to the circuit board or wiring of the controller (as MK II suggested).

If there is a problem to the wiring/cord of the controller - you're pretty much out of options. The cord itself is soldered to the motherboard of the controller, so there's no use trying to replace it.

If there is a problem to the motherboard of the controller (maybe it got shorted out or it may simply be defective) you're pretty much better off getting a new one as well.

To me, it's not worth the trouble to try and troubleshoot a controller that looks fine on the inside because no one really sells replacement parts - other than the thumbsticks which are the only mechanical/electrical parts that can be replaced on the inside.

You can go to a local pawn shop or find a new controller on EBay for under $5 or $10 easy.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Just adding my 2 cents... as someone who focuses on collecting controllers specifically (not consoles or games), I think my judgement/opinion should be accurate and hold some credibility. Also because I currently possess every single one of the controllers on this list (except #1 on the list) I have a very good perspective of the value/rarity of each controller.

First off, like Corey said - anything that is in sealed condition or comes complete in box (CIB) will be worth almost twice the amount - if not more - than a "loose" controller.

Secondly, the international (European, Australian, and Japanese) controllers are a lot more rare and also worth a lot more.

Please refer to Finngamer's webpage (link here) for the name of most of these controllers. There's no such thing as "flame" or "lime" so it is important to call them by the right names to not get the controllers confused.

Here is my list, in order from most rare/expensive to most common/cheap.

*CIB = Complete In Box *BP = Blister Package *L = Loose *JPN = Japanese *NA = North American *EU = European *AUS = Australian

1. Hello Mack (CIB, JPN)
2. Gold "N" logo E3 1997 Star Fox Controller (L)
3. Millennium 2000 (L)
4. Clear Gray, also known as Jusco (CIB, JPN)
5. Black & Gray (CIB, JPN)
6. Nintendo Power 100 (L)
7. Clear Orange & Clear Black, also known as Daiei Hawks (CIB, JPN)
8. Clear Black (CIB, JPN)
9. Midnight Blue (CIB, JPN)
10. Gold (CIB, JPN)
- 10A. Gold box
- 10B. White box
11. Six Funtastic colors (CIB, AUS)
- 11A. Watermelon
- 11B. Smoke
- 11C. Fire
- 11D. Jungle
- 11E. Grape
- 11F. Ice
12. Six Funtastic colors (BP, NA) + Gold (BP, NA)
- 12A. Watermelon
- 12B. Fire
- 12C. Jungle
- 11D. Grape
- 11E. Ice
- 11F. Smoke
- 11G. Gold
13. Half Clear (CIB, JPN)
- 13A. Red
- 13B. Blue
14. Clear Blue (CIB, EUR)
15. Clear Purple (CIB, JPN)
16. Pikachu (CIB, JPN)
- 16A. Blue/Yellow
- 16B. Orange/Yellow
17. Pokemon Yellow/Blue (L, AUS/EUR)
18. Solid colors (CIB, JPN)
- 18A. Gray
- 18B. Blue
- 18C. Green
- 18D. Red
- 18E. Black
- 18F. Yellow
19. Mario Kart bundle (CIB, JPN)
20. DK 64 (L)
21. Clear Purple (CIB, AUS)
22. Extreme Green (CIB, NA)
23. Pokemon Blue/Yellow (L, NA)
24. Atomic Purple (CIB, NA)
25. Gold (L, NA/EUR/JPN)
26. Solid colors (CIB, NA)
- 26A. Gray
- 26B. Blue
- 26C. Green
- 26D. Black
- 26E. Red
- 26F. Yellow

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
alxbly
Feb 28 2011, 08:25 PM
But it's all relative, depending on where you live.
Alxbly is spot on with that observation. It is definitely relative to your geographical location and mine was made with a bias (that I'm in the United States) - however I did try to take into consideration the availability of different other sources (such as EBay in the UK, Germany, and Australia). Mostly because I have friends and "hook ups" that help me make purchases in all the above listed countries as well as in Japan.

Nevertheless, there is no 1 "right" list and the one I made up is simply due to my own personal experiences and what I've seen come up for sale and available for purchase/trade through auction websites and forums.

Quote:

however, i have a question regarding the Japanese Mario Kart bundle controller... is it not rarer than the simple coloured controllers from Japan?
Believe it or not, the Mario Kart bundle seems to pop up a lot more frequently on US EBay several times a year (I'd say somewhere around 6-10 times) but the Japanese regular color controllers are more rare. I've seen no more than maybe 10-20 of any of the 6 normal colors come up in the same time frame (and that's all 6 of them put together, I don't think I've ever seen a Blue or Gray for sale in the US).

Quote:

Personally, I'd be tempted to group controllers into "common", "uncommon" and "extremely uncommon"
I almost gave up 1/2 way through making my list to do exactly that. I would probably say that I'd break them down as the following:

Extremely Uncommon:
#1 - #12
Uncommon:
#13 - #21
Common:
#22 - #26 (and all loose controllers not in boxes/packages)

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Mar 2 2011, 10:41 AM
My observation has been that in the US, the clear/blue controller is as rare as a Mario Kart controller, far less available than the limited edition Donkey Kong Banana controller, and far less available than the gold, extreme green and jungle green controllers.
My point exactly bludogrulez, and you can see that the clear/blue controller is #13B (Japan) and #14 (Europe) on my list, which puts it in the "Uncommon" group. And just as appropriately, the Mario Kart bundle is #19, whereas the DK64 controller is #20. So it looks like my rankings seem to make sense, at least to you :)

MKII and Zoki: yes, the clear/blue controller was available in Europe as an individual boxed release (and actually several are available on EBay Germany as a Buy It Now option). However it rarely ever shows up anywhere else, and I had to enlist the help of Bohzer Art to help me acquire it - and after paying for both EBay shipping and then international shipping - the cost was pretty high :money: That is why the European release is ranked #13B and #14, because in my opinion it is quite hard to obtain these days for most collectors not living in Europe or Japan.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I really need to filter what I say. Obviously not the first time when I've become the punching bag of some of the veterans on here as a result of my ego or when trying to contribute to a topic here on these forums. I don't even know if what I'm supposed to do now is apologize or just shut up and disappear from these forums forever. All I know is that after the original post, I've done nothing but agree to everyone's comments that: the list is subjective (which by definition has no single, right answer), not an "end-all-be-all" list, is regional/geographical, and my own person opinion as a collector.

Obviously what alxbly quoted was a line of text that should've stayed a thought in my head, instead of appearing on the forums - and I should've went back and erased it. Now I'm getting ripped up by everyone for it. :facepalm:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Mk II
Mar 13 2011, 06:20 PM
BTW: in one of those old N64 Mags ive scored i saw a notice for more customized controllers by Foxdata in nice all metallic colors. And it seems they also did a gourgeous shiny chromed N64 console.
Mark, think you can get a scan of that Foxdata notice/advertisement from the magazine so we can see what you are talking about?

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Wow, that's a pretty cool looking insert that you found Cabanon! :w00t:

So firstly, to identify the 2 controllers on that flier: those 2 controllers are definitely the same model as the Joycard 64 made by Hudson, as shown by the picture posted by Clarky (the original picture was taken by Alxbly - let's make sure we give credit). You can also see on the bottom of the insert that those games/controllers are copyright by Hudson Soft. I also have a full boxed Joycard 64 myself. The 2 controllers shown on the insert are the same models, but in clear colors (like the Funtastic series).

You can see they have their own part numbers as well. The clear blue is: NUS-NPLJ-JPN and the extreme green color is: NUS-NJEJ-JPN. They are most likely special editions released to promote those other 2 games (Power League 64 and that soccer game). Correction: those part numbers are for 2 games (Power League 64 and J.League Eleven Beat 1997)

The Hudson Joycard has 4 turbo buttons (A/B/Z/Start) at 3 settings each, an adjustable joystick, and the handles of the controllers are a bit shortened. The ASCII Pads have 6 turbo buttons (A/B/Z/L/R) with either 3 or 5 settings, and a 6th turbo button for more precise adjustment. The ASCII Pads have the exact same shape/form factor as the regular N64 controller.
Edited by ddr2nite, May 27 2011, 01:30 PM.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Mk II
May 27 2011, 09:54 AM
I wonder if these special edition Hudson controllers also came in a nice custom box like the Bomberman controller?
If they did, I would imagine they are super rare. I have never before seen or was even aware of these 2 special colored Joycard controllers until this flier/insert promoting it. So to have never seen them loose (without box) means they are rare and to be in box would be like finding Plutonium while strolling around in the park :blink:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Mk II
May 27 2011, 11:57 AM
Anyway, kudos to Cabanon for spotting and posting the flyer. It's things like this that make our forum such a valuable source of information. thanks!
I second that, it's a great find.

After reading the flier a bit more, I can make out that the flier is actually for a contest. There were 1000 units of each special controller given away. I actually need to make a correction - those part numbers from above, are the part numbers for the games themselves.

NUS-NPLJ-JPN: Power League 64
NUS-NJEJ-JPN: J.League Eleven Beat 1997

From what I can read from the back of the flier, you had to mail in some information (name, address, age, etc.) and also include a proof of purchase from one of the 2 games above, which is one of the little squares with the baseball glove or soccer ball. Both games were released in November of 1997. 1000 units of each controller color were given away probably in a drawing from the people who entered the contest.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
lithium017
May 28 2011, 07:41 AM
So it is called the "Hello! Mac" controller. Interesting. I wonder if this could help us find more.
Well, between Janne (Finnegamer) and I, we've already come to an agreement a couple of months ago on the spelling of it during our discussions. And wouldn't you know it, we settled on "Hello Mac" as well, just without the exclamation point.

Posted Image

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Mep, can you please remove that link? That is my secret project that I've been working on. It's not quite ready yet. You can see that I'm the admin for the page. :(

To anyone who might be going to the link posted by MepTrep, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY EDITS OR UPLOAD IMAGES

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Thegt550
Jun 25 2011, 11:30 AM
ddr2nite the wikia look great
It's not done yet. I have 1 more set of images to photograph (all the boxes) and then a couple of more articles/guides to write before I formally post it on forums to show everyone.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
YamahaBill
Jun 25 2011, 09:34 PM
I can't seem to find a link to the wikia :huh:
That's because it's not posted yet. I'm not ready for the world to see it just yet. :phear:

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Jul 13 2011, 12:42 PM
there's a black/gray controller, like the mario kart one, but is it in this kind of boxes ? has anyone have one boxed here ? i'd like to see a picture of it.
Yes, the "Mario Kart" controller does in fact come in a box similar in design. I have the only 1 that anyone has currently seen available. I am currently on a business trip but will take more pictures when I get home. The box is really interesting, because it looks just like the box for the Black controller, but it is actually split down the middle with 1/2 black and 1/2 gray.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
I've started a new topic to address the "Mario Kart" black & gray controller. Go to it using the following link: Black & Gray Controller (Japanese)

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Heinrold... what did your last post have anything to do with the topic of "Controllers"? Please pay attention to the topic when posting <_<

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
clarky_n64
Oct 13 2011, 11:28 AM
Just picked one of these Foxdata controllers up. I was actually on the hunt for ddr2nite as I know he was collecting these but I believe he already has this one.

Does anyone know an exact value on these things as I know there pretty sought after.
Wow, thanks for thinking of me Clarky! It was pretty weird for me to find one as quickly as I did (pretty amazing as a matter of fact that I was able to close the deal so fast) but I would've totally taken that off your hands! :birdo:

As for the value, I'll say what I mentioned before...

Quote:

Price varies. It's hard to put a value on them because it depends on the market. They could be anywhere around $40 - $75 (or 25 - 50) which is where I paid for the 2 that I was able to purchase. My 3rd one was through a trade and it was for a DK64 controller which is also around $50 - $60 range.

So I would say a fair value would be between 30 - 40... unfortunately I was pretty desperate so I shelled out 50 (but it included speedy postal service from the UK) for the one I obtained.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
The paint on this FoxData Chrome Leopard that Clarky has in his possession looks to have a bit of the paint chipped on the back... near where the memory card is loaded into :huh: too bad it's not perfect. I'm thinking about grabbing it just to have 2, but after thinking about it for 10 seconds, realized that's a bit overkill :facepalm:

I guess they are still prone to a bit of damage if handled too roughly.

And by the way, I think MKII will probably be interested in buying this controller from you Clarky - check with him ^_^

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Of course, if I cannot have it (or do not need it) I would love to see other members from our forum get their hands on it. Because then should the situation ever come up in the future that I want it back, I know who to talk to >:-]

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Okay this is one of the weirdest N64 controllers I have ever seen... and I don't think anyone has ever posted about this in the past:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160672265499

WTF is this thing? :wacko:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

" - MK II

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: