Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (42,747 Views)
parski
Member Avatar
I went on a trip to the US a few weeks ago where I decided to purchase two Nintendo 64 controllers. I bought them with refurbished thumb-sticks, so I thought they would compliment my other two controllers perfectly if I ever wanted to play four player multi-player with a few friends.

Yesterday, me and a few friends decided to play Mario Kart 64. So I dug out my two new controllers from my controller bin, plugged them in and prepared for some epic four player Battle. Sadly, one of the controllers was malfunctioning. The thumb-stick worked like a charm, as does the start button, but nothing else seemed to work. Well, the only thing we tried were the A and B buttons, since the menu of Mario Kart 64 only responds to the thumb-stick, Start, A and B. We decided to just play 3 players instead.

Today I decided to open the controller up and try to fix it. It's not the first time I opened a Nintendo 64 controller, so I knew what things are supposed to look like inside and I did a brief troubleshooting. The "guts" looked fine and I didn't find anything that I would think could interfere with whether or not the A and B buttons can work. I'm therefore suspecting the actual connector you stick into the Nintendo 64. I tried the same controller port with a different controller and tried sticking the broken controller into another controller port but the results were the same.

Does anybody know what could be wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

parski
Member Avatar
I indeed have a multimeter, but I don't know what connects to what though. Is there like a diagram of the guts of the Nintendo 64 controller?

parski
Member Avatar
Allright, thanks guys. I'll just find another controller and use this thumbstick. :)

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply