Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (43,827 Views)
Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
check the wires inside the cable. do you have something like a multi-meter? you should test each of the prongs / wires for breaks.
And check the connection between the cable/wires and the controller and the internal wiring of the controller.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
take no notice of the Pad1 etc diagram. the wiring of a N64 controller is shown in the bottom-right corner
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
they're both right.
i was speaking from my personal situation... i have a huge pile of NES, SNES and N64 controllers in all kinds of condition so i have plenty of "spare parts" for repairs & transplant operations.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I think my judgement/opinion should be accurate and hold some credibility

some? i think it's only fair to say that you & finngamer are the persons with the most knowledge regarding N64 controllers in the online world. respect!

however, i have a question regarding the Japanese Mario Kart bundle controller... is it not rarer than the simple coloured controllers from Japan?

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
yes, clear/blue controllers are quite common here in Holland too. More common than any of the funtastic colours at any rate. That's because for a long time, the "standard" N64 Super Mario 64 Pack included a clear/blue console and matching controller.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
my guestimate (based on many years of trawling local auction sites, fleamarkets and yard sales) is that a boxed clear/blue controller is also pretty rare around here. i doubt if they were ever available at all. methinks they were only sold as part of a complete set.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

yes, the clear/blue controller was available in Europe

i should have been clearer... i was talking specifically about the local market (Holland). 95% of the toy & game shops here are all part of the same big distribution company and they dont stock the entire Nintendo catalog, trying to push more third-party crap instead (much higher margins!). This means that some stuff, accessories in particular, is hard to find here. Im my observation, Atomic Purple controllers were sold everywhere here but i never saw any of the funtastic colour controllers on sale. In other words: there's a subtle difference here between "released" and "available".

Edited by Mk II, Mar 4 2011, 05:35 AM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
a bit expensive @ 39.99 UKP... regular controllers were 17.99 at the time IIRC
I kinda like the chrome leopard design but the others are quite ugly IMHO

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

The advert is from before N64 controllers were dropped in price

ah ok, i see... that makes a heck of a difference.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

My control stick has got a little looser, Would it be worth lubricating it?

AFAIK lubricating the stick only makes sense BEFORE any damage / wear has occured

BTW: in one of those old N64 Mags ive scored i saw a notice for more customized controllers by Foxdata in nice all metallic colors. And it seems they also did a gourgeous shiny chromed N64 console.
Edited by Mk II, Mar 13 2011, 06:20 PM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
yeah, the chromed console looked very nice in the tiny picture featured in the mag. it's actually something ive been thinking off , there must be a company somewhere that can do it professionally and i wouldnt mind a chromed N64 and say a "gold plated" NES. ive got enough consoles to take a gamble
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I'd actually do a man wee in my pants if I could get a gold or chrome plated N64.

ooh, you've upped the ante, now i desperately need to have some N64 cases chromed :)

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Scanned from 'N64 Magazine' (UK) issue 3, June 1997:
Posted Image

So the chromed console was 270 Quid (or 60 quid to chrome-your-own...) not too bad ! Looks awesome (they should have done the controller plugs as well tho!)

BTW: below this snippet was a large article about the infamous N64 price drop. Just two months after the UK launch the standard N64 set was suddenly reduced from an extortionate 250 to a much more reasonable 150 UKP. The 75.000 early buyers really felt robbed by THE Games (Nintendo's distributor at that time).

Edited by Mk II, Mar 16 2011, 05:19 PM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
there are (loads?) more of those customized give-aways. the magazines of the day constantly ran all sorts of competitions and a custom console and/or controller was often offered as 1st prize.
Very desirable but as far as i'm concerned these items - and the Foxdata stuff too - are not part of the canon of "official" hardware and should not worry our completist collectors too much :)

i am certainly going to look into the possibilities & cost of chroming a NES and gold-plating a N64 case. Me wants!

Edited by Mk II, Mar 17 2011, 10:09 AM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
it says "You are the lucky winner of two unique controllers and a cash prize of 1.000.000 Yen. Valid until 31-12-1999"

Just pulling your leg of course... couldnt resist :D
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
yep, it looks like an offer of Ascii Pads in special J-League Eleven Beat 1997 and Power League 64 editions. Anyone know more about Ascii Pads?
Edited by Mk II, May 27 2011, 03:07 AM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
good point!
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
thanks for deciphering all the details ddr. I wonder if these special edition Hudson controllers also came in a nice custom box like the Bomberman controller?
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

If they did, I would imagine they are super rare

i second that emotion. which is why brought them up in the first place of course :)
just thinking aloud here... surely they must have been packaged in _some_ way? if not a box, then at least a blister pack. Because they appear to have a Nintendo catalog number, im thinking boxes. IMHO the Nintendo catalog number kinda makes 'm into semi-official controllers and another must-have for the completists

And if they were only sold to buyers of those two games (and quite probably only for a limited time) they must indeed be ultra-rare.
Anyway, kudos to Cabanon for spotting and posting the flyer. It's things like this that make our forum such a valuable source of information. thanks!
Edited by Mk II, May 27 2011, 11:58 AM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
i dunno... it looks like a red controller to me. im guessing the colour conversion of the video is to blame?

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
nice pix, Ninty!
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

im guessing the colour conversion of the video is to blame?

so i guess i was guessing right for once :D
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Anyone know how good these are?

a new controller for 5 bucks ?
i'd say chances are it is totally cr@ptastic; there's no way you can make & sell a decent controller for so little money.
there are lots of cheap after-market controllers flooding the market ATM and they are all terrible. Stick with the originals (replace the analog stick if needed) or Hori pads.

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
perhaps you could use it like this :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

99p is almost no risk

agreed.
even if it can only be put to use as wall decoration or door stopper, you're still getting your money's worth :)
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I think MKII will probably be interested in buying this controller from you Clarky

someone mention my name? :D
well yes, i am interested as a matter of course.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
that is one of those infamous 8bit NES on a chip clones with a fancy design. ive got a similar product from Zolid. These cheap knocks-offs are all terrible and should be avoided at all cost

Posted Image
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
sorry, Sic... i've got first dibs on the Foxdata controller
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
i once had a blue controller in my possesion that seemed several shades darker than usual. i blamed it on my eyes, aging plastics or exposure to sunlight. But IMHO its not impossible that a particular batch of plastic turned out a bit darker; it probably is not easy to get an exact colour match.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

no official controller but still very rare

ooh yes, nicely spotted! Shame that the shipping is so high or i would put in a bid
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: