Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller discussion; N64 controller discussion - collecting/issues/help
Topic Started: Jul 23 2006, 12:29 AM (41,605 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Was there ever an official pink N64 controller? I'm asking because I saw one in this video.

[Nintendo 64] Super Mario 64 / Wave Race 64 Shindou TV Commercial
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
By not releasing a pink N64 controller Nintendo missed a real opportunity as there were plenty of female fans of the system.

Nonetheless, watching the video made me want to play my Shindou edition of Wave Race 64. Man, do I love playing that game! :wub: It's still amazing to me how well the wave physics were handled.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Meptrep
Jun 2 2011, 03:37 PM
Probably another controller that will stay hidden for a long time like the Geoffrey controller. Then someone like Finnegamer or ddr2nite will find it, and post tons of pictures of it. I'm not a fan of pink stuff, but that controller actually looks somewhat cool.
It's probably a one-off made specifically for the commercial and given to actress Hirosue Ryoko after the shoot. :huh:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Meptrep
Jun 2 2011, 07:53 PM
You were able to find the credits for a N64 commercial?
Apparently the young lady in the commercial is rather famous in Japan.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shibbypod
Jun 11 2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not a serious collector, but my small collection of controllers is basically the pride of my gaming repertoir! I own all the solid colors other than black, two are grey, the red one has the box. In games that require a lot of joustick action, i prefer my green Hori Mini Pad, such a high quality controller!

What controllers do you guys use when you play?
Mostly I'm using this one along with a Rumble Pak I modded so that it doesn't need batteries to work. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Yeah I put a GelTabz on my purple and black hybrid controller because the replacement thumbstick uses very hard plastic.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
LordXaero
Sep 28 2011, 01:23 AM
No batteries for the Rumble Pak? Please tell me more.
Here is an HD quality 'How To' video.

If this isn't clear enough I can pretty much talk you through the whole process.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
LordXaero
Sep 28 2011, 10:33 AM
Grizzmeister
Sep 28 2011, 06:18 AM
LordXaero
Sep 28 2011, 01:23 AM
No batteries for the Rumble Pak? Please tell me more.
Here is an HD quality 'How To' video.

If this isn't clear enough I can pretty much talk you through the whole process.
So, pretty much, all you do is solder a connection between those two joints shown in the video, and that's it?
That's right and it doesn't even need to be the stock resistor as I used just a plain jumper wire.

The rumble feels the same as when the unmodded unit has fresh batteries so it's a worthwhile DIY project if you play games that support the peripheral.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
N64Collecting
Feb 21 2013, 09:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of FinnGamer, just cause I really can't stand his accent, nothing big, I'll watch it if it helps though ^.^
I love finngamer's accent! IMHO, it's the best part of his videos. No doubt he's inspired many people to get in to collecting with both his passion and knowledge on the subject.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Not long ago I acquired a Funtastic series Ice colored N64 controller with a badly worn analog thumbstick. Today I decided to cannibalize the very good condition Nintendo manufactured stick from one of my standard grey controllers to use that as the donor for the blue one.

I had ordered several "GameCube-like" third-party sticks so I opted to put that in the grey controller as those pads are hardly worth anything anyway. On the other hand, the Ice controller is much more valuable if it has a tight OEM stick installed.

I took the Ice Blue controller apart and washed the shell and all the buttons with steaming hot water and antibacterial soap. I then used an electronic component cleaner that I got from Radio Shack and used it to clean the contacts on the controller's motherboard. With that done I lubricated all of the moving parts in the analog stick module with ceramic grease which I purchased at my local bicycle shop. Here's a picture of the final result. Pretty huh?

Posted Image

On the open market I'd probably try to sell this controller for about $40 because in many ways it's actually better than new. The ceramic grease will allow the analog stick to last for a very long time and the contacts being cleaned makes this controller function like a precision instrument. Think of it like a car engine that's been blueprinted and to ensure that I've done a quality job I test every controller I refurbish by playing Super Smash Bros. with it. ;)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Dec 16 2014, 07:46 PM
Not so collectible, just another grey controller. (Actually my favorite controller color...) And it's brand new, so I'll add it to the stockpile. Hehe.
I know a few Super Smash Bros. competitive players who would kill to get their hands on that controller. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Dec 16 2014, 10:10 PM
It still amazes me how stuff like this survives virtually untouched after all these years.
Where did you get it?

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply