Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Turok; March Game of the Month
Topic Started: Mar 1 2011, 05:25 PM (1,385 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Alright everyone, it is time to play some Turok! Congratulations to alxbly for his nomination winning the vote off. I really hope we get more participation this month. I think we only had 3 people actually play Shadow Man :( Anyhow, At your all convenience, give Turok a try this month. Then share your thoughts. I will likely begin playing some tonight :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Posted Image

It's been a long time....

Turok was one of the games that I missed first time around on the N64... probably because I didn't have the N64 at launch. I remember waiting outside a store on the day Turok 2 was released, mega-excited because it looked like it could be the N64's "Doom" (and yeah I had played Doom 64, enjoyed it but ultimately felt let down by the obviously flat, 2D enemies). And I really enjoyed Turok 2... so I really should have looked into the first game.

Anyway, this will be my first real play of the game. I think I've played the first level before but the precision jumps and terrible fog put me off. If I can get past that I'm pretty sure there's a great game lurking underneath.

I've also been quite keen to try the German version of Turok. :) I hear that due to tigher videogame restrictions they had to replace the human enemies with robots. I'd always wondered how that would look. :mellow:

Here's some footage of the German version. Skip to 2:25 if you want to see the robots, there's quite a few different designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTDiCIzbmo

I think it's kinda cool. ^_^

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
I keep forgetting to post in these, but I've been playing them. Except for Glover, since I couldn't acquire it at the time. But yeah, Turok reeks of awesome!
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Im half way through Banjo-Tooie, but I think giving Turok another dig once im finished should be good.
I beat it a couple of years ago and it was very enjoyable.
I still have to play Turok 3 as well...

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Glad to hear we may have some more discussion this month. I was always impressed and intrigued by Turok. I had a friend who had it, and I did try it some. Truth be told, I was not very good at video games yet. I could not get the controls down. Heck, I did not even master the 2 analog style fps until Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube. Using the C buttons for movement always seemed so ackward to me. I think if I can get past that, I will enjoy it.

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
I just think of it as using the C-buttons as a D-pad and the analog stick as your right thumb stick. It makes more sense to me like that if you think of it as fine aiming rather than the rugged aiming in GoldenEye. Also, I believe you can change the controller layout in the options menu (same with games like South Park and Duke Nukem, which also utilize Turok controls by default instead of GoldenEye controls).
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am hoping I can change the controls. I think I can handle it now if not though. That video was cool to watch, alxbly. It has me psyched up to play it.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I have played about an hour and half now. I have already had more fun than with Shadow Man and Glover. I know it is just a simple FPS, but it works. The graphics are still very playable. The fog is a bit much, but it does not affect the game play at all. I look forward to playing some more tomorrow maybe. :D

It has been such a dead night on the board...

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I completed level 1 tonight. I am having fun still, but I doubt I will get to play a whole lot more. Fatherly duties call :P

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
I like to think of the distance fog as intentional, like it's supposed to add to the atmosphere like Silent Hill or something.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Nice idea to think of it that way. I hate it when I just jump vertically and I pass through a fog in doing so :lol:

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Mar 3 2011, 09:03 PM
I completed level 1 tonight. I am having fun still, but I doubt I will get to play a whole lot more. Fatherly duties call :P
I think the levels bet better as the game goes on.
level 3 was one of my favourites though.

I just started Turok 3.
Very good so far, only stopped playing cause the game froze.

I think the fog adds to Turok 1.
It would be wrong without it.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It's incredible to think that there was only six months between this game and Goldeneye because Goldeneye feels light years ahead in every department. :-/

I'm finding Turok quite disappointing so far. I've had a few brief play sessions, not enought to experience much of the game but enough to know I really don't like the controls. I much prefer the "Goldeneye" layout with movement on the stick but there's no option for that layout in Turok (although it is something they implemented in Turok 2). I think I need to mess with the analog sensitivity as well because my aiming is just terrible in this. Do any of the weapons have a crosshairs? Or sight? Grrr.... :angry: The first level seems pretty large but it's mainly open spaces with not much in them... why does this game need fog when there's so little going on?

I've remembered why I didn't play much of this before... Anyway, I'll stick with it. If I can get used to the controls then I think I could get to like it. >_>

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I understand about what you mean, alxbly. While Turok has been moderately fun for me, it feels empty somehow. It doesn't have that magic that Goldeneye has. Not much does though.
Edited by stinger9142, Mar 6 2011, 08:21 PM.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I think Turok kinda feels like a launch game (which it was in Europe at least)... like it could really have done with that extra six months just to add some polish, get to grips with the hardware, finish decorating the levels, etc. The difference between Turok 1 and 2 is really quite startling.

I really need to stick with it for a few hours just to get used to the controls, then I'll probably appreciate it a lot more. :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I need to pick up Turok 2 sometime soon. Game Haven has it for $5. I almost got it Saturday, but decided on Banjo Tooie instead. I played it way back when, but not much besides the weapons lingers in my memories.

Robond
Member Avatar
Established Member
Anyone know the gameshark code for no fog? I really want to beat this game again with no fog on it.
Wii + 59 games + 7 Wii Ware + 28 VC! GC + 85 games! N64 + 38 games! DS + 32 games + 9 GBA games!
PS3 Slim + 16 games! PS2 Slim + 35 games! PS1 + 15 games!
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
This is from one of shiren wonders old posts.

"Turok: Dinosaur Hunter v1.1- (800F7D90, 800F80F0)"

This is the link if you need more info from the post.

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
Those of you complaining about the controls should play it on an emulator and remap the controller more to your liking.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I suppose that could make it more comfortable, but I prefer to try and judge the games how they actually are on the N64 - controls included.

I myself do not hate them anymore. They gave me fits when I was younger, but it doesn't bother me anymore to use the c-buttons for movement.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Just ordered a copy of Turok off eBay. Looking forward to participating in GOTM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Great! I am happy about the amount of participation we are getting this month :D

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
The controls are fine.
I was able to play it as a 9 year old without any difficulty.

I remember how good the weapons are in this game, particually later on in the game.
Basic but oh so satisfying.

Did anyone get the instruction book with the game?
I still have mine and it comes with a Turok comic. (the game is based off it)
Its Legit!

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
I wish mine did. But then again, I just got a loose cart of it on eBay a few years back. Occasionally I'll find a guy selling with instruction booklets or the boxes. Most of the time I just go for the loose carts if I'm low on cash. But this one time, I won the bid for Knockout Kings 2000, which was supposed to come with the booklet. Never got it. Just the game (which is a DAMN good game!)
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
OK, I decided to go ahead and do my initial run down of Tuok.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I am not sure if I enjoyed it enough to continue to play when game time
is so limited for me anymore.

Graphics: The are not gorgeous, but they don't look horribly dated. I do feel the fog is a bit much, and the levels
appear pretty void of detail at time. (I cheated to look at some of the later levels.) Still good enough looking overall.

7/10

Sounds: The tribal/jungle sounding music is fitting. The wild animal noises are cool to. I always was expecting a tiger
to jump out at me any minute. The sound does kind of make me laugh when I think about it. I find it hard to take it
too serious.

7/10

Game play: Turok is fun to me, but also a bit empty to me. I had fun trying out the different guns (also through cheating).
I did hate finishing a level only to realize I missed a key or two and could not advance yet. I don't like back-tracking.
Killing dinosaurs is pretty cool over all!

7.5/10

Controls: I will give them a passing grade I guess, but I really don't care for them. They aren't so horrid as to make
the game un-playable, but they just do not feel natural to me.
5/10

Story: I really did not encounter much (if any) story line. So I will put an N/A here

Replay: I think it would probably be enjoyable to pick it up from time to time for an hour or so.

5/10

Overall: 6.5/10 For $5, It was well worth the money. :D

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
While I enjoyed the original Turok it wasn’t until Turok 2, thanks to its fantastic multiplayer mode, that the series took off for me.

My mates and I actually preferred Turok Rage Wars over Goldeneye simply because the movement felt a little brisker and more PC-like. I know that sounds a bit sacrilegious but TRW’s multiplayer is truly brilliant thanks to great arenas and a multitude of distinctive weapons. There are also rainbow colored cubes sorta like the ones in Mario Kart 64 which alter the games perimeters for short periods of time to make things even more frantic.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Elseb
Member Avatar
I've wanted to play this for like 10 years now, never got round to buying it. I'll probably pick it up on Ebay this weekat some point. :)
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever, Elseb :D

Elseb
Member Avatar
Thanks! :D I actually joined a while ago but my boomarks got deleted so i lost the link. :-X Back now though! -_-
Posted Image

blakesleven
Member Avatar
Established Member
I hope you guys don't mind a newbie joining in on GOTM :unsure: I hav'nt played this game in years & never got past the first level.This time i 've decided to play it on emulation on my xbox.I still hav'nt got past the first level :(
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: