Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Turok; March Game of the Month
Topic Started: Mar 1 2011, 05:25 PM (1,562 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Glad to have you back then, Elseb :D

blakesleven - Jump right in man. All members are welcome to participate. Don't forget to vote for next months nominees if you haven't already.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
stinger9142
Mar 14 2011, 03:42 PM
Don't forget to vote for next months nominees if you haven't already.
And by that, he means you're only allowed to vote for Tony Hawk! :P

Okayyyy! So you don't have to vote for one of those three games- but if you don't, Clarky and I will! :D
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Yeah! next time THPS comes up, vote or else! :w00t:
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I certainly hope it makes it in the random drawing for your two's sake :D

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Loved the bosses in Turok.

All the Turok games had good, big bosses.

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
So I finally found some time to sit down and play Turok for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Well it could have been a really good game. The problem being is that I've played and completed the 3rd Turok in the series and that is by far (and obviously) a more superior game. This doesn't help when trying to find the good points in this game as techinically I've already experienced Turok on the N64 at its finest already.

Anyway, the most irratating thing I found about Turok was, not the fog, not the controls, not the lack of cutscenes/storyline, but the fact that you spend most of the time wondering around in bloody circles!!

You defo need a lot of patience when playing this, checking every corner of the map, every nook and cranny, otherwise IT will drive you insane. Another thing that pisses me off is the fact you can't just hit start and save at anytime. Instead you have to hunt around (in the fog) trying to find a save point, which just so happen to look like the things you collect the keys from. HOW ANNOYING!!!

Despite the above, the graphics are really good (considering how early this was released) and controls are good (the same on any Acclaim shooter).

Overall verdict, not a bad game but not exactly a great one either. Worth a play!

6/10
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

swaaye
Established Member
Hey guys. New N64 nut here. :)

I just want to say that when looking at Turok it's a good idea to remember when it came out it had no peers really. Yea it got dusted by new games but for a while it was something special. I think the despite its various annoying issues that it has compelling atmosphere and a very original setting which definitely saves it in the end.
Edited by swaaye, Mar 29 2011, 05:40 PM.

niniendowarrior
Turok to me played much better than Goldeneye... but that's also because Turok had been my first N64 shooter. It was harder for me to adjust to Goldeneye after getting used to Turok.

That being said, if we're talking about Turok, might as well talk about Seeds of Evil, which to me is the perfection of Turok.

swaaye
Established Member
Turok 2 is ok but I thought it was way overrated by IGN64. I suppose that it is a clear improvement however.
Edited by swaaye, Apr 2 2011, 02:27 PM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Yeah, for its time Turok was pretty special, but if you never played it back in the day and your first time playing it was now, i can understand how it wouldnt be as good.

It was still fantastic for me when i played it in 09, but that might have had something to do with the memories if playing it in 97.

Turok 2 was incredible.
Didnt beat it until 09.
Tried several times before that.

jeroenD27
I always loved the turok series, one of my fave gaming series. I have all, including the PS2 & XBOX 360 one, except from Turok 3.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
jeroenD27
Apr 4 2011, 11:48 AM
I always loved the turok series, one of my fave gaming series. I have all, including the PS2 & XBOX 360 one, except from Turok 3.

Here are all the Turok games I own.
Posted Image
I have both the grey and black cartridge versions of T2 which is my favorite of the bunch in single-player and has a good multi-player mode too. However, Turok Rage Wars holds a very special place in my heart as I played this game with friends more than any other N64 title except for Mario Kart 64.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NecroCombine666
I'm a bit late. Just having joined the forums today. I really like Turok. I remember having Goldeneye, and WCW vs NWO world tour. About a week after playing them to death my friend got a N64 and got Turok and MK Mythologies. I let him borrow 007 and he let me borrow Turok. Can't say I ever beat the first world but I loved it.

Just recently in rebuilding my N64 Collection and trying to beat games I beat the first Turok. I really still enjoy it mostly. I do feel you guys on the "empty" feeling but I don't consider it horrible by any means. I've played much worse. Once you get the controls down, what your supposed to do and where to look for things its quite enjoyable. Same with bosses. However, most frustrating moment? Chronoceptor piece in Level 3. grrrr.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
NecroCombine666
Apr 20 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm a bit late. Just having joined the forums today. I really like Turok. I remember having Goldeneye, and WCW vs NWO world tour. About a week after playing them to death my friend got a N64 and got Turok and MK Mythologies. I let him borrow 007 and he let me borrow Turok. Can't say I ever beat the first world but I loved it.

Just recently in rebuilding my N64 Collection and trying to beat games I beat the first Turok. I really still enjoy it mostly. I do feel you guys on the "empty" feeling but I don't consider it horrible by any means. I've played much worse. Once you get the controls down, what your supposed to do and where to look for things its quite enjoyable. Same with bosses. However, most frustrating moment? Chronoceptor piece in Level 3. grrrr.
I didnt find that Chronocepter piece on my recent play through.
Someone mentioned it as being at the very back of that jumpy section at the end of the level.

Yeah?

NecroCombine666
oh i found it. My frustrations were geared toward the "jumpy section" :(

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: