Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 on TV & HDTV; Cables, display ratios, you name it...
Topic Started: Feb 26 2009, 07:18 AM (24,270 Views)
Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Well, what i tried to say was that the F-Zero X game looked quite alright (except for a few glitches) but that the overall presentation (menu, intro screen etc) really showed the low resolution.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It's always amazed me how this guy is able to get such a crisp picture on his HDTV. :blink:

Improvised Review: Killer Instinct Gold for Nintendo 64
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
the thing is: not all Full HD TV's are created equal. there's really no way to tell until you use it
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mk II
Apr 12 2011, 01:42 PM
the thing is: not all Full HD TV's are created equal. there's really no way to tell until you use it
Sad but true.

When I purchased my Sharp Aquos LC-40D68UT my main objective was to get a TV with very little to no input lag. This was important because I play a lot of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and input lag can literally ruin that experience. My Xbox 360 is connected to the set via HDMI and looks absolutely spectacular and all my Wii titles look great too since I'm using component cables.

One game that has really been a standout on the HD set is F-Zero GX for the Nintendo GameCube. It's breathtaking when you see it running in 480p and widescreen. The whole experience is heightened further still by the surround sound coming from my receiver which supports Pro Logic II. :yeah:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
I forgot that the Gamcube only goes up to 480p! On the back of game cases the "progressive scan"label means it's able to be 480p right?
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

the "progressive scan"label means it's able to be 480p right?

yes
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Meptrep
Apr 12 2011, 02:28 PM
I forgot that the Gamcube only goes up to 480p! On the back of game cases the "progressive scan"label means it's able to be 480p right?
That's right the highest resolution for GameCube, and Wii games too for that matter, is 480p. What's nice is that most N64 era Virtual Console games have been bumped up to that resolution for their re-release and look really nice. Wave Race 64 on the VC looks absolutely beautiful as does Super Smash Bros. although both lack rumble support even if you use a GameCube controller. It's for that reason that I can't declare the VC iterations the truly definitive versions but they're still worth owning if you have a Wii.

Posted Image

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
I thought the Wii was at least capable of 720p! I don't really understand the point of Virtual Console except for the fact that you can get some translations (Sin and Punishment) for cheaper than the untranslated original game.
This only applies to N64 games for me though, since I own cartridges of almost all the Virtual Console games for N64.
In fact the only N64 game I ever got on VC was Super Mario 64, since I didn't buy it until this year. I don't dislike Virtual Console though, as I have a lot of NES and SNES games on my Wii.
Edited by Meptrep, Apr 12 2011, 04:42 PM.
Posted Image

swaaye
Established Member
you can't be properly disappointed by Wii until you've seen an original Xbox running emulators, ports and a few of its own official games at 720p.

I've had Quake 2 running at 720p with 4x anti aliasing completely smooth! :D

I modded a Wii too but it couldn't really do anything that the Xbox could do better because of that higher resolution. and frankly the Wii library has been very disappointing for me...

however the Wii CPU seems slightly faster than the XBox's so it is somewhat better at emulating N64 and PS1.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Meptrep
Apr 12 2011, 04:41 PM
I don't really understand the point of Virtual Console except for the fact that you can get some translations (Sin and Punishment) for cheaper than the untranslated original game.
The Virtual Console allows many people to purchase games cheaper and with less hassle than sourcing out an original cartridge. Consider that many Wii owners are young or new to video gaming and have never played some of the classics so VC titles represent a tremendous bargain for them.

Also, many collectors want to own every variant of their favorite games so Nintendo has a constant revenue stream thanks to them.

Last but not least, it's extremely convenient being able to play all your favorite Nintendo games on just one console. This helps to remove clutter around the TV but also makes it easier to hold retro gaming parties of such hits as Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Today i played some Killer Instinct Gold on my 55" HDTV in Full HD mode (16:9) and it looked surprisingly good for a N64 game.
Quote:

how this guy is able to get such a crisp picture on his HDTV

well, perhaps the game is part of the reason... some games do look much better thn others.
Edited by Mk II, Apr 18 2011, 12:50 PM.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mk II
Apr 18 2011, 12:48 PM
Today i played some Killer Instinct Gold on my 55" HDTV in Full HD mode (16:9) and it looked surprisingly good for a N64 game.
Quote:

how this guy is able to get such a crisp picture on his HDTV

well, perhaps the game is part of the reason... some games do look much better thn others.
MK II, you're in Europe, right? Don't you have your N64 connected to your HDTV with a SCART cable?

How to play an N64 on a HDTV

We don't have the SCART option in the US. :(

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

MK II, you're in Europe, right? Don't you have your N64 connected to your HDTV with a SCART cable?

correct. in the Low Countries aka The Netherlands aka Holland.

Quote:

Don't you have your N64 connected to your HDTV with a SCART cable?

no, i use composite cables to hook up the N64 console to my TV.
Except my Japanese NTSC console which came with a special SCART cable.
Posted Image

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
GBATemp links to this today, which I suspect is relevant to your interests:

http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2011/04/guides_upscaling_your_retro_consoles_for_hdtv_sets

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
Hey guys,

Would like to say Hi as I'm new :).

Recently I had the urge to play my N64 again, more precisely Goldeneye (amazing). I bought a very cheap AV cable to play on my HDTV off ebay which works.

BUT.. the picture is awful. Based on videos some of you guys have linked - it is possible for me to get a great picture on a HDTV. which is great.

Whats the best way I should do this? I'm thinking maybe a scart lead (as I'm from the UK).

Thanks in advance, Tom :).

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
We have an area you can introduce yourself. Nice to meet you, TJBaddy.

Anyway, my n64 games look like crap on my 28 inch HDTV. Thank god for my laptop when it comes to some games. :D
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
Im playing on a 42 inch, well I attempted to anyway. Its too bad to play IMO at the moment. I'm thinking one reason for the bad quality is because I bought a cheap AV cable?

I tried adding a scart to the end of the RGB and it didn't make a difference to the picture quality unfortunately...

From what I've seen the dreamcast lead and scart seems to show a good picture, do people think quality of lead would make a significant difference?

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
using a particular type of connector (SCART) wont be itself improve picture quality. Same applies to the cable... unless your cable is (nearly) broken it really should not have that big an impact.
AFAIK the best signal that can be had without modifying the console is S-video but you need a special cable for this (someone correct me if im wrong)

but the thing is: not all big screen TV's are created equal. The upscaling and colouring of the input signal is determined by the quality of the components and software.
Posted Image

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
The cable is brand new so if what you say is true MK then that shouldn't be the problem.

In terms of my TV, its a samsung which is a good make, so I would have thought the software and components would be good :/

I noticed that someone mentioned RF input are the same as the arial input on the back of the TV, would that mean (possibly stupid questions coming up) I could try and tune the N64 in using RF? Saying that - RF doesnt seem like a good choice based on what people are saying is the best input...

EDIT: I'm actually tempted to buy an old crt instead of trying to get the N64 look good on my HDTV. I've found one (4:3 ratio) for 99p starting bid 7 miles away from me... So tempted :P
Edited by TJBaldy, May 21 2011, 05:01 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
TJBaldy
May 21 2011, 04:34 PM
The cable is brand new so if what you say is true MK then that shouldn't be the problem.

In terms of my TV, its a samsung which is a good make, so I would have thought the software and components would be good :/

I noticed that someone mentioned RF input are the same as the arial input on the back of the TV, would that mean (possibly stupid questions coming up) I could try and tune the N64 in using RF? Saying that - RF doesnt seem like a good choice based on what people are saying is the best input...

EDIT: I'm actually tempted to buy an old crt instead of trying to get the N64 look good on my HDTV. I've found one (4:3 ratio) for 99p starting bid 7 miles away from me... So tempted :P
I play my N64 on a 20 inch flat-screen CRT TV even though I have a 40" LCD. It just looks MUCH better that way. Oh, and I have my N64 connected to the CRT with an S-Video cable which yields the best results, IMHO. You can even share that S-Video cable with a SNES and GameCube if you own those consoles as well.

Posted Image

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
May 21 2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:

I play my N64 on a 20 inch flat-screen CRT TV even though I have a 40" LCD. It just looks MUCH better that way. Oh, and I have my N64 connected to the CRT with an S-Video cable which yields the best results, IMHO. You can even share that S-Video cable with a SNES and GameCube if you own those consoles as well.
I looked up S-Video cables since reading posts from here but I'm unsure how they would work...

Is it a special adapter for the N64 (guessing the N64 hasnt got a S-Vid output directly without looking) to get it working?

Grizzmeister I would appreciate it if you could throw me in the right direction. Also, would I have to make sure that the crt has a S-Vid output? Unless I use a scart which has a S-Vid input....

All this for a bit of goldeneye.... :yeah:

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
Alternately you can use PJ64 on a computer with video out. You can even do true wide screen with a bunch of games, which the original console can't do, and use an original controller or Hori pad with rumble using this.

Blasphemy, I'm aware.
Edited by regnad, May 21 2011, 06:27 PM.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

tempted to buy an old crt instead of trying to get the N64 look good on my HDTV.

do it. the general consensus here is that in an ideal world you should have both, CRT and large HDTV.
And like you said, they can be had for (almost) nothing at the moment.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
TJBaldy
May 21 2011, 05:24 PM
Grizzmeister I would appreciate it if you could throw me in the right direction. Also, would I have to make sure that the crt has a S-Vid output? Unless I use a scart which has a S-Vid input....

All this for a bit of goldeneye.... :yeah:
Here's a good S-Video cable on EBAY, use it as a reference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-S-VIDEO-AV-CABLE-PS1-PS2-PS3-XBOX-GAMECUBE-N64-/350464723455?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item51995349ff

It will work with any TV that has an S-Video input but the picture will probably be best on a CRT.

Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
TJBaldy
May 21 2011, 03:56 PM
Im playing on a 42 inch, well I attempted to anyway. Its too bad to play IMO at the moment. I'm thinking one reason for the bad quality is because I bought a cheap AV cable?

I tried adding a scart to the end of the RGB and it didn't make a difference to the picture quality unfortunately...

From what I've seen the dreamcast lead and scart seems to show a good picture, do people think quality of lead would make a significant difference?

Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I know specifically from N64 experience. I had an original lead, and I bought a new aftermarket one as well (both composite. That is, 3 RCA plugs). changing from one to the other made a huge difference. In my opinion it's better to get a fair condition second hand genuine one than a new aftermarket one...

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
Mk II
May 21 2011, 06:32 PM
Quote:

do it. the general consensus here is that in an ideal world you should have both, CRT and large HDTV.
And like you said, they can be had for (almost) nothing at the moment.

Ive "done it". I bought that TV I mentioned for 99p off Ebay! Couldn't believe I got it for that little. The picture quality is much better and it doesn't hurt my eyes to play it. When I was making space in my bedroom for the extra tv I even found a scart which had an S-Vid option - which I didn't even know I had... Might buy an S-Vid adapter now for the console :)

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
Has anyone used the S-Video Monster Cable (looks like this)?

TJBaldy
Member Avatar
regnad
May 27 2011, 03:55 AM
Just had a look on Monsters website... $60 for a cable?!?! Someone told me years ago who worked in a independent game shop that HD cables are all the same, don't be conned into buying an expensive one for quality purposes. But I don't know whether quality of cable does actually make a difference now...

How can Monster justify them prices?

Also, I'm guessing you can't buy the N64 monster lead anymore directly from them?

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
I found one online for $12. I assume it's worth that much. At least I hope it is.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
TJBaldy
May 28 2011, 05:50 AM
regnad
May 27 2011, 03:55 AM
Just had a look on Monsters website... $60 for a cable?!?! Someone told me years ago who worked in a independent game shop that HD cables are all the same, don't be conned into buying an expensive one for quality purposes. But I don't know whether quality of cable does actually make a difference now...

How can Monster justify them prices?

Also, I'm guessing you can't buy the N64 monster lead anymore directly from them?
I purchased a used Monster S-Video cable for about $5 a couple years ago and it's a really well made high quality product. In fact, if you can find one for about that price it's probably worth picking it up because the signal that it carries is analog and not digital like HDMI. Cheap S-Video cables are known to degrade picture quality because they're often not properly shielded. I speak from first hand experience here as I once ordered some low grade S-Video cables off of Ebay and lived to regret it.

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: