Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Wetrix; May Game of the Month
Topic Started: May 2 2011, 04:10 PM (1,268 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Congratulations to Mk II for nominating the winner. Everyone feel free to give it a try and then share your thoughts :).

Sorry I missed out on last months, and will do my best to get to play this months winner. I will hopefully get to go back and give F-Zero a try too ;) It looks like I missed out on a great month of participating/conversation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Thank you Stinger!

I really urge everyone to give this game a fair chance, it is an awesome puzzler that easily beats the N64 Tetris games in all aspects.
You have to learn fast in order to survive more than a few seconds. I strongly suggest your try to play some of the lessons in Practice Mode to learn the basics.

Tip: use the D-pad for directional control, not the analog stick. it's a little harder to get used to but offers greater accuracy and you will need that when the going gets tough.
Edited by Mk II, May 2 2011, 04:49 PM.
Posted Image

blakesleven
Member Avatar
Established Member
I don't own this game & don't normally play puzzle games but I'm going to get a copy on eBay & give it ago :yeah:
Posted Image

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
I'll have to pick this game up. I checked on eBay and a US version was only around $15 or so for a sealed copy.
Posted Image

lazyhoboguy
Member Avatar
I'm very interested in this game. I know it was also released on the dreamcast though. Does anyone own both versions? If the dreamcast version isn't a ton better I might get it on n64.
ps2onlinegaming.com (site for scheduling ps2 online and ps2 lan tunneling matches)
psn__lazyhoboguy
My Blog
Xlink (LAN tunneling application for ps2,xbox,gc and more)
My Game Collection
My youtube channel

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
According to the guys who made it Wetrix only sold about 15.000 copies* in the USA so it's actually quite rare.

* = whether they were told the true figure remains to be seen of course... its not uncommon to try to stiff the programmers by underreporting sales.
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Went to GameTraders and got myself a copy for 20 bucks on Sunday.

I remember first seeing the game and reading reviews way back when it came out and thinking I would enjoy the game.
Nearly rented it once.

First time I had a go at it, I didnt know what I was doing too well, but the game tells you how to play if you leave it for just a little while at the title screen.

Man!
What a good game!
Fantastic pick-up, its very addictive.
Its good having me and my housemate constantly trying to beat each others high scores. And weve only had the game for 4 days.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

What a good game! Fantastic pick-up, its very addictive.

glad you like it so much. I share your enthusiasm, it really is a hidden gem in the N64 catalog. It took me years to find a copy but it is by far my most played N64 game, it's almost permannetly lodged in my living room console, always ready for a quick round.

Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
played it for an hour yesterday but it just wont get better :(
what i dont like about this game is firstly the 3D-view, where you cant exactly see, on which position the upper exactly will land. and secondly i also dont like the controls, because it is not precise enough for me. also because of the perspective...
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
You can adjust the view & angle with the yellow C buttons.
if you have created a score file on the controller pak, it will also "remember" these settings.

Re. controls: use the D-pad and keep practicing, it will get better, honestly! :)

Another tip: if you are about to flood the drain or an eartquake is imminent you can use a Smart Bomb (Z button).
This will clear the play area.
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Ahhh, not having any instruction book or box was a bit of a disapointment, but tthats how I get most of my games these days unfortunatley.

Had no idea how to use the smart bomb.
That might make a huge difference to me.
I love the random and varied terrain you can get, with waterfalls, jagged mountains, ice spikes and so on.
I've found ducks are the key. :)

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I've found ducks are the key

ducks and rainbows!

You score points by evaporating water with fireballs. The more water, the higher the score.
Each duck adds a score multiplier (ie. X 2, X 3, X 4 etc )
A rainbow adds an extra multiplier: score = points * (ducks + 1) * ( rainbows * 10 ).

You also score Dry Ice Bonus points if an icecube hits solid ground (or walls) so it doesnt freeze any water.
Another way to score points is by repairing bomb holes in the landscape.
The ducks and rainbows multiplier also applies to Dry Ice Bonus and Repair Bonus points.

You get a rubber duckie if a lake is at least two levels high.
Rainbows are awarded if the total amount of water reaches a certain level.

Edited by Mk II, May 6 2011, 12:43 PM.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Had a few minutes to kill so i played a quick round of Wetrix and managed to nearly double my high score to 1,5 million in Classic Mode.
I challenge you to beat that score before the month is over !
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
My best so far is about 300 000.
Im gonna have a crack at that high score, see what happens. :)

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
300.000 aint too bad actually... it took me a LONG time to get past 200.000 points
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Just got around 850 000 :D

Wowee, those smart bombs make a huge difference, its like starting fresh.
Just the knowledge from the how to play bits when you leave for a while at the menu screen is giving me all the know how on what to do.
I think I've played this game every day since I got it. :)

What do you think of the handicap and challenge modes?
I only briefly tried them, didnt seem that different.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I think I've played this game every day since I got it

you cant get a much better endorsement than that! im glad i've made at least one convert here :)
Posted Image

WaveRacer
Awesome first post for me!!

I just got this game 3 days ago after I saw it was game of the month. Wow!! I'm always looking for a new and different puzzler. This game is great and its really addictive.

I picked it up at a local used game store, cartridge only, for $9.95.

My high score on Classic mode is 32,000 right now.

What are everyone else's high scores?

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

This game is great and its really addictive.

excellent, another convert :yeah:

Quote:

What are everyone else's high scores?

1.5 million :applause:
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Ahhh, i cant seem to get near my 800 000 + score since I got it.
I've lasted up to level 7 and still not managed to beat it.
Not enough ducks n stuff.

I like that the game is good to play even if you only have a spare 5 mins or a spare 5 hours.
Oh, and my housemate and his girlfriend love the game too, its not just me.
She just wanted to build duck lakes, cause ducks are cute or something. :P

Purtle
Member Avatar
I tend to like puzzle games so this was one of the first few games I got when I started collecting because I remembered hearing about it on here. I also heard about tetrisphere which I REALLY want to get. But I haven't found one for the price I've been looking for.

I tend to try and buy games boxed/complete now, unless it is at a garage sale or something. I haven't actually gone to a yard/garage/whatever sale since I've been collecting. It's hard to get anywhere without a car.
Check out My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Purtle28PatrickSSB

Shibbypod
Member Avatar
Established Member
Well, I wasn't going to play this months game with you guys yet since I just joined the forum, and was pretty much just getting ready for thps2 next month, but the place I got thps2 also had 2 copies of Wetrix, each for 5 bucks. So I figured f**k it I may as well play this game the last half of the month with you guys and see how I can compare. So I have only played the classic mode, and I have only played a couple times and I am somewhat getting the concept, but not really. I thought 25,000 was a good score but I see all of your scores dwarf mine so talk to me, what am I doing wrong here. Do you guys have vids of you whooping that much ass? Maybe I'll stand a chance in tony hawk.

Play me in tetris ;)
I guess I'm not world class in that either but I am at least better than I am at this haha :yeah: <_< <_< <_<
Ask me about: Smash, Wave Race, THPS2, Tetris
Retro gaming enthusiast and small time gamecube controller collector

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Do you guys have vids of you whooping that much ass?

nope.

first get used to the controls. i prefer the D-Pad b/c it offers more precision but this does take some getting used to.
read this thread for some tips on how to score and just.keep.trying. perseverance is crucial in Wetrix!
also: play the tutorial / training levels in the game, they are really useful.
Dont panic and learn use the Smart Bomb (Z button) when you are about to 'die'
Edited by Mk II, May 18 2011, 02:17 PM.
Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
Purtle
May 15 2011, 03:26 PM
I tend to like puzzle games so this was one of the first few games I got when I started collecting because I remembered hearing about it on here. I also heard about tetrisphere which I REALLY want to get. But I haven't found one for the price I've been looking for.
I think i gonna nominate tetrisphere next month. I'd really like to play that again after reading this.
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

blakesleven
Member Avatar
Established Member
I thought I was going to be one of the (un)converted,but after persevering,I love this game :wub: :wub: my high scores only 40,000 but I've only played it a couple of times so hopefully I should get a more respectable score.

One question though.do you have to be on a certain level(I'm only up to level 4)before you get to use the smart bombs only when I use the 'z button'nothing happens :( is it because I'm using a third party controller?
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

do you have to be on a certain level(I'm only up to level 4)before you get to use the smart bombs

not sure, i dont have a manual
Posted Image

blakesleven
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mk II
May 20 2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:

do you have to be on a certain level(I'm only up to level 4)before you get to use the smart bombs

not sure, i dont have a manual
Ok.thanks anyway.i'll just dig out one of my other controllers & give it another go.
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
You can use smart bombs as soon as you get them from what i could tell.

Still havent got close to my current high score recently.

zallard1
This is a weird game that I got addicted to about a year ago. A friend of mine on youtube started uploading score videos of it, so I found it on ebay for about 4 bucks and ended up had a blast scoring the game.

My highest score in classic mode is 23,969,133. I could probably beat it or come close to it if I gave this game a shot again. The key is to get a nice duck-lake setup with the square pieces, a corner to throw your junk pieces in, and get into the habit of shaving off terrain from those high lake walls you have (helps keep the quake meter in a safe range). There are better tactics out there that involve getting really small duck lakes, but I'm not too good at setting that up yet.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

respect! :yeah:
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: