Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Collecting Question
Topic Started: May 31 2011, 10:45 AM (1,095 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I know we have a lot of hardcore N64 collectors on this forum so I wanted to ask; what do you believe will be the most valuable game both loose and complete in the years to come? Also, do you think N64 prices on software and peripherals will continue to rise incrementally or sharply and why?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
prices wil continue to rise while the N64 generation gets into the money. And once they start to die off, prices will drop again.

Posted Image

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
I could see games like Conker's Bad Fur Day joining the ranks of the rare games. It's already hard to come by, but I believe it'll one day become among the ranks of games like Ogre Battle 64, Worms Armageddon, and Clay Fighters: Sculptor's Cut. It'll definitely be no ISS2000, but it'll rise in price. Games like Legend of Zelda will drop for sure. If everyone's trying to get it now, every die hard collector would, and should, already have it. No need for a rise in price then.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

N64 is the best
Member Avatar
The most expensive games will probably be Conker's bad fur day, paper mario, and ogre battle.

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
The most expensive game in the pal library will be Starcraft 64. Due to an Aus release only, a cart let alone a CIB copy is extremely hard to come by.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
well, there are truly rare games (Starcraft PAL for instance) that are in the "whatever a fool is willing to pay" category.
Others are quite valuable because demand is always high but they are not really rare (Banjo-Tooie, Paper Mario).
The latter category will probably loose some value over time due to improved emulation and Virtual Console-like reissues.

But what do i know? Yesterday i learned that folks are willing to pay 100$ or more for a complete Super Mario Bros. 3 game.
But here in Holland i would be lucky to sell it for 20 bucks. So what is it really worth?
Posted Image

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
Quote:

Others are quite valuable because demand is always high but they are not really rare (Banjo-Tooie, Paper Mario).
The latter category will probably loose some value over time due to improved emulation and Virtual Console-like reissues.

But what do i know? Yesterday i learned that folks are willing to pay 100$ or more for a complete Super Mario Bros. 3 game.
But here in Holland i would be lucky to sell it for 20 bucks. So what is it really worth?

Same with Final Fantasy VII. For some reason, even though it sold A LOT of copies, it's worth $70-$100 for a Black Label version and $50-$70 for a Green Label/Greatest Hits version. I found my copy of FFVII at a Goodwill for $8.
Edited by Meptrep, May 31 2011, 07:02 PM.
Posted Image

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I believe Mario no Photopi will be one of the most valuable games down the road.

Reason: Even if the game sucks, collectors will still want to buy it because it's Mario!
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Shangyou
May 31 2011, 09:56 PM
I believe Mario no Photopi will be one of the most valuable games down the road.

Reason: Even if the game sucks, collectors will still want to buy it because it's Mario!
Thats just like the Zelda games on the CDi. Utter crap games but people want them for there Zelda shrines :lol:
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
Wait is Mario no Photopi rare? I saw it on eBay a while ago for $70, but I thought that price was crazy for a game I've never heard of. It's the game where the cart has some sort of Flash media card slots or something like that?
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I believe games like Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. will always be collectable for their playability. The prices of these two games will always remain high relative to how common they are and I suspect prices will even spike whenever a new installment in the series is released.

Of course there are the rare titles like Sculptor's Cut (CIB) which will probably eventually reach astronomical prices.

Other than those games I have no idea what the future of collecting holds for N64 memorabilia. Granted many of the games are old but then again there are always new young people discovering the N64 and its brilliant library of games.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

FoxC
Member Avatar
Annual Visitor
Meptrep
May 31 2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:

Same with Final Fantasy VII. For some reason, even though it sold A LOT of copies, it's worth $70-$100 for a Black Label version and $50-$70 for a Green Label/Greatest Hits version. I found my copy of FFVII at a Goodwill for $8.
Never underestimate Goodwill! I had gotten FFVII a few years before only because it seemed to be the game to have. First item I got off ebay; got my dad to get it since I hadn't made an account yet. I bought a sealed, Greatest Hits for $15 and opened it to play. I figured there were so many sealed copies on ebay, it wouldn't do good to keep it sealed, and I bought it to play anyway.

A few years later I look on ebay and copies go for $50+! Awesome!

Last time I looked the market was blind; great condition black labels would sometimes go for less than decent condition greatest hits. eBay is crazy that way though; I remember I saw two sealed copies of Zelda: OOT end in the same day, both auction style. One had lousy pictures and was posted in the retro/classic games category; sold for $200. The other had great pictures and was posted in the normal games category; sold for $100.

Just got Zelda: Collector's Promo for the Gamecube and looked up prices. Saw an auction for over $40 about to end even though there were many buy it nows for $30.

I figure Conker's and other such rarities that were popular to play will go up faster than the rarities that are rare from small quantity. When the N64 generation gets to that nostalgia age, they want to play what they remember rather than collect them all, though collectors will increase as well.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Predicting the future of N64 collecting is like predicting the stock market: impossible. Prices will go up and up and down and up and in the end we'll all be dead & gone and your children will sell that complete collection of boxed Japanese controllers for 50 bucks. Panta rhei...
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mk II
Jun 3 2011, 03:30 AM
Predicting the future of N64 collecting is like predicting the stock market: impossible. Prices will go up and up and down and up and in the end we'll all be dead & gone and your children will sell that complete collection of boxed Japanese controllers for 50 bucks. Panta rhei...
While it's impossible to predict future prices with any degree of certainty, it is fun to speculate how various factors like CRT TVs becoming obsolete will affect the N64 library going forward. One has to wonder if the dramatic price increases we're seeing as of late will abate when most people finally upgrade to HDTVs if they haven't already.

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

it is fun to speculate

it is! i just want to warn people not to invest their pension money in such a finnicky market. :)

but i dont think HDTV will kill off the N64 revival... people who play N64's in this day & age probably care more about the gameplay than the graphics.
And anyway: ive got a top of the range Sony HDTV and no complaints about picture quality at all. Not all HDTV's are created equal.

Edited by Mk II, Jun 3 2011, 03:40 PM.
Posted Image

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
I find it kind of funny that I've been playing my N64 on my HDTV, and it looks perfectly normal to me. Nothing is fuzzy and blurry that shouldn't be. I do remember right before I got an HDTV, I heard that you could plug in the RCA cables into a VCR and it'll be in better quality... It still looked like crap from what I remember. But for whatever reason, everything looks great on my HDTV than when I had a standard TV. Of course we all know that the only thing that can compete with how we saw an N64 back in the day is either our memories or an emulator. It's amazing how realistic graphics used to be... Then the next generation always comes and raises the bar.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

Yeah, from what I can tell, the N64 plays quite well on HDTVs. It does on mine anyway. So I don't think that will affect N64 prices. As well, CRTs last a long time and are come by cheaply. The last two I got were free! As a sign of longevity, there are collectors who still use commodore 1084 monitors and the like, which are still kicking around. And arcade collectors even rebuild their monitors, some of which are over 30 years old. So if you have a little used 5 year old telly, you've got a few more years to enjoy it :D

As for which game? As a few have pointed out, it depends on what region. Go on ebay australia and check out the prices snowboard kids 2 goes for, for instance. Not saying that's my pick, but compare the PAL prices to NTSC.

I suspect though it will be an NTSC title, American or Japanese, because there are so many more people interested in that format.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

it will be an NTSC title,

agreed. after all, price is determined by supply and demand.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
So the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is getting positive reviews and some are even calling it the definitive version. I don't know... I believe that many people will still want to play the original version with the N64 controller so I suspect pricing for this game may see a bit of a rise. Thoughts?

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
not so sure about that.. to be honest the original OOT hasnt aged very well re. the graphics. the low-res textures, limited screen resolution and low polygon count are very visible. As one reviewer put it: the new OOT looks like we remember the original, but the orginal looked a lot worse then we remember.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply