Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Anyone know how to fix a Sega Game Gear?
Topic Started: Jul 14 2011, 08:12 PM (1,931 Views)
85 GT Kid
I bought this at a flea market and when I got home I put fresh batterys in it and it doesnt work :(. The power light doesnt even come on. Would be nice if I can fix it so I can play it :D.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Established Member
85 GT Kid
Jul 14 2011, 08:12 PM
I bought this at a flea market and when I got home I put fresh batterys in it and it doesnt work :(. The power light doesnt even come on. Would be nice if I can fix it so I can play it :D.
I've replaced the capacitor on the sound board of a Game Gear, a part that has a high failure rate. I have never run into a problem with the system starting.

Have you made sure that all the contacts are clean, and all six of the batteries are in the proper alignment?

If so, I'm not sure what to say. Sorry.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Actually my game gear did the same thing to me last year and I have been unable to find a fix. I am not sure what the specific issue is. If I hear I will let you know too!
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

niniendowarrior
Buy a multi-tester and have fun tracking down the dead components. My classmate before brought it for electronics class and we had a bit of fun figuring out which part died.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
have you tried using a mains power adapter? sometimes running a GG on batteries doesnt work

if it doesnt turn on at all, it's unlikely to be a problem with the sound or video capacitors, both very common issues with GameGears
anyway, dont feel too bad... finding a fully functional GameGear in the wild is very unlikely

Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Established Member
I didn't find the Game Gear to be all too fun anyway :P

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
the GameGear is a perfect example of the fact that hardware specs dont sell consoles... the software does. And thats why Nintendo always wins in the end :)
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mk II
Jul 15 2011, 09:33 AM
the GameGear is a perfect example of the fact that hardware specs dont sell consoles... the software does. And thats why Nintendo always wins in the end :)
It's even better if the portable system is actually portable. The game gear was too big, had a terrible little screen, and bad software. The 6 AA batteries wouldn't have been so bad if the battery life wasn't so short. In the end, Nintendo just had a better product.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
aye. and we probably will see a rerun of this scenario when the PSP Vita fails to make a real dent in the market.
Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I know these things are not meant to last forever. But it is easy over time to see who produced a quality product. I have two Game Gears and both have fallen to the capacitor death, video and audio. My Lynx and original Game boy still works as it always did. Fact is every portable that I purchased since that time period still work except my Game Gears. I have yet to sit down and change out the bad capacitors.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

85 GT Kid
Thanks for the help guys. Maybe one day i'll mess with it and see if it will work and if not then maybe I can see if my old Electronics teach from HS will mess with it for me :D. I wish I had tried and talked the guy to $10 though cause this was a waste lol.

O and no I havent tried an adapter yet cause I havent got one. I know one contact has some corrosion on it so im gonna try and clean it off and hope it works lol.
Edited by 85 GT Kid, Jul 16 2011, 11:46 AM.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

But it is easy over time to see who produced a quality product

ive been saying it for years, purely based on what i come across at fleamarkets, bootsales, private sellers etc: Sega consoles do not age well at all.
The buttons wear out and get stuck, the plastic looks awful (scuffed and scratched) , powers supplies are often broken and the odds are that the console itself just doesnt work.
Compared to Nintendo it is very poor build quality indeed, even cheapish. Nintendo has always strived to offer optimal quality, right down to the kind of plastics used.
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mk II
Jul 16 2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:

But it is easy over time to see who produced a quality product

ive been saying it for years, purely based on what i come across at fleamarkets, bootsales, private sellers etc: Sega consoles do not age well at all.
The buttons wear out and get stuck, the plastic looks awful (scuffed and scratched) , powers supplies are often broken and the odds are that the console itself just doesnt work.
Compared to Nintendo it is very poor build quality indeed, even cheapish. Nintendo has always strived to offer optimal quality, right down to the kind of plastics used.
I heard very good things about the Dreamcast however. I also have a Genesis that is without a problem.

And as far as Nintendo durability goes....

SNES plastic... I just came across one where the plastic yellowed terribly, and is incredibly brittle.

And obviously with controllers, we have the N64 Joystick problem. Even my GCN joystick is getting a little loose. I've no idea what that's about.

DS Lite hinge crack - I experienced this. The system began to crack in two places, eventually the top screen broke off at one hinge. I did nothing to abuse the system. In fact, I kept in a very good case it's entire life.

NES 72 pin connector... uhh.... not the greatest.

Granted... this is nothing compared to the 1st gen 360. The system could easily scratch discs, and the red ring of death made things a little sticky...

Every company is not without faults in their products. Fortunately, Nintendo makes good for any issues.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

the Dreamcast

yes. the Dreamcast, altho not without its problems, seems to be the exception to the "Sega hardware sucks" rule. Mine is still going anyway (knock on wood!)

And re. the SNES plastic: not really Nintendo's fault, they dont make the plastic. The supplier fooled around with the recipe and some batches of the ABS plastic they made were inferior.
The horizontally placed 72 pin cartridge connector in the NES is indeed a design fault.

Posted Image

FoxC
Member Avatar
Annual Visitor
Grimakis
Jul 17 2011, 09:27 PM
And obviously with controllers, we have the N64 Joystick problem. Even my GCN joystick is getting a little loose. I've no idea what that's about.
My GCN joystick became loose, too. That was after 100s of hours of play, much of it SSBM.

I say it gave me a good run. Definitely an improvement from N64.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Mk II
Jul 18 2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:

the Dreamcast

yes. the Dreamcast, altho not without its problems, seems to be the exception to the "Sega hardware sucks" rule. Mine is still going anyway (knock on wood!)
The dreamcast has issues, but are very easy fixes, The most common is the pins inside the console stop making contact, To fix it you have to take out the power supply and bend the pins to make contact with the console again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

85 GT Kid
Ok so today I finally decided to take a look at my game gear and after messing with it for about an hour I finally got it to get power :D . So I pop in a game and I just got a big ole goose egg on the screen. No sound either. Could the video and audio caps be bad? The screen just kinda lights up a lil but not much. O well atleast I got some progress :D.

85 GT Kid
I got it to work :D. Problem was the contacts on the game I used was bad but I got 2 of the games to work. It could probably use the video caps and the sounds doesnt work for crap so I know it needs audio caps but im glad its not a $15 paper weight anymore :P. Next time I crack it open im gonna do the LED backlight mod for power savings and work on getting the scratches out of the screen along with changing the caps. I also gotta find some battery covers for it too :nope:

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply