Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
E3 1997 Official N64 Controller
Topic Started: Jan 9 2010, 03:56 PM (35,051 Views)
No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee

DarkLink
Oct 4 2015, 05:55 PM
Can anybody give a quick opinion if this one is legit?

Just seen on eBay

Ignoring the damage to the logo, it does look like the real deal to me.

Real.
and real emblem damage. :-/
Compared to a few other examples with the same area of damage- seems to be at the weakest point of the emblem.
Edited by No64DD, Oct 5 2015, 05:10 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
That price! Quite a deal!
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Thanks for updating guys
Edited by DarkLink, Oct 13 2015, 08:29 PM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Right!
Congrats Darklink. You got an e3 at an awesome price.
I try to continue the effort that was put behind the e3 i have.
You can see similar damage patterns with the NP100, and it happens when the person starts picking at it.

Once you remove the residue left behind, it will look even better! :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
$200, even in that condition, is a damm steal! Congrats man. :yeah:
Edited by Rocky, Oct 5 2015, 12:52 PM.
Posted Image

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
Titties! Awesome price! I hope it is real, it's hard to tell with these as they tend to be faked.
Looks great IMO! :)
Edited by Sixty Formula, Oct 5 2015, 01:04 PM.

Cabanon
Elite
nice steal darklink.

George52577
Member Avatar
Excellent find, darklink!

Krotoxx
Congrats on the find Link. Wish I had looked that day, but Im glad that it was someone within the community who got it who has been collecting for a long time instead of some random Joe.

Nadim9067
Member Avatar
Trigger Happy
I'm dirty jealous of that find. Wow! Congrats!
''Now this is what I call a Platform Game''

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Update: I asked the seller of the E3 about more information regarding the E3 tournament event at the time, but only now found the time to evaluate it properly:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Okay, some of this we already knew/guessed, some of it we didn't (for example how many days it was available). In any case it is very rare information and to actually get this first hand from somebody who phisically attended is awesome. Now we finally have evidence!

So let's break this down in a calculation:

The best case scenario:
- E3 opens at 9AM and closes at 6PM
- The Controller was given out every 15 Minutes
- 4 Controllers/hour = 4*9 = 36 a day
- 3 Days = 36*3 = 108

This means that in the very best case the maximum of controllers given out was 108.
The number seems high, but actually already prooves the insane rarity.

However, this is highly unlikely. Events at E3 usually never start before 10-11AM and usually end 1-2 hours before E3 closes. Employees have lunch breaks, some of the competitions may have taken longer than 15 minutes etc.

A more realistic/pessimistic scenario would be something like this:
- E3 events start at 10AM und stop at 5PM
- The Controller was given out every 20 Minutes
- 3 Controllers/hour = 3*7 = 21
- 3 Days = 3*21 = 63

Sadly the number could even be less, but given the evidence at hand we can assume that the number of controllers handed out averages at around 80

What does this mean now? Well we can really only compare it to other limited number controllers.
Let's take the Millennium 2000 for example, limited to 1000. This controller is very rare but we actually do see it floating around on eBay here and there, sometimes none for months, but it averages out to be seen about every 3 Months (sometimes it's the same one resold again, but that counts, since a new owner is able to aquire it)

Also take into account, that only People who followed Nintendo Power 100 got one. Those are people that knew exactly what they are getting and were knolegable about Nintendo 64. At E3 it is quite possible that a rather uninterested person in comparison got one just for fun. You know what I mean :D

According to the calculation and assuming 80 exist the E3 is about 12 times rarer then the Millennium 2000.
This means we should theoretically be able to find one every 3 years.
But there is no guarantee of course, some could be broken, lost, thrown away and so on.

I am updating ddr2nite's legacy on the current owners list. It's about time to do this and I'm sure he would not mind for the sake of this commnity. I'm cutting out all the fake ones, and those that don't exist anymore, like the one that was robbed at gunpoint, to have an accurate and official list:

1. Andrew Reiner (signed by Miyamoto and Imamura); acquired through competition (original owner)
2. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from Rengozu
3. owner unknown - (signed by Miyamoto, Arakawa, and Lincoln); (most likely original owner)
4. Brodieman - acquired through purchase from ddr2nite (N64F)
5. tobbelobbe - acquired through Nintendo Scandinavias HQ Bergsala (original owner)
6. i8ablueskittle - acquired throug purchase from Guggles (N64F)
7. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from saiya*jin
8. RsTheJuice401 - acquired through BIN purchase from bbcorvette07 (sold to another owner - missing info)
9. Nadim9067 - acquired through purchase from nintedo64_fan
10. mick_thunder_struck - acquired through purchase from bbcorvette07
11. mjwatts26 - acquired through purchase from spartan043
12. No64DD - acquired through purchase from Finngamer (N64F)
13. Darklink - acquired through purchase from eBay

I'm sure of this list with small exceptions:
@Nadim - Did yours actually turn out to be fake? Couldn't find any info on that.
@ i8ablueskittle - Did you actually end up selling yours or is it still in your possession?
@all - Does anyone know if mick_thunder_struck's controller was legit in the end?

Wow long post :D
Cheers guys, hope it helps.

Edited by DarkLink, Nov 10 2015, 02:22 PM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
joking: and now you ruined the market value of the E3, becuase there are not 20 of them but 80 thanks! :P

That is some high level obersation there! very very interesting!! Hopefully there are more people who can share there adventures at that E3.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@DarkLink: Very interesting! Two questions: (1) who was that response from? and (2) is it possible there was more than 1 tournament station (i.e., one queue but 8 screens & consoles 4 areas where groups of four players could play?)
Edited by bluedogrulez, Nov 11 2015, 09:32 AM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
@Vinyl: I know you are joking, but with this controller that will never happen :D

@bluedog: I edited the post. This was the response of the seller of my E3 I bought. He was the original owner.
The more than on tournament at the time theory is out of question in my oppinion. We had a few eye-whitnesses before and nobody has ever mentioned this. The news here is, that we now know it was available all 3 days. I guess most visitors only go for one day so we could never verify this until now.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow guys!
The collected interest shown here says one of two things:

If you ask me, no longer is the e3 met with a bad image. All things considered. I can attest to any prospecting buyer of this controller- it is a wild ride that is worth every bit of it's history!

And two,
Bluedog makes a great point... at the least, there were 4 monitors, which lends itself to the math that Darklink has shown. But, what if there were more "stations" ? It is entirely possible!

Thanks for updating. :yeah:
Edited by No64DD, Nov 11 2015, 08:58 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@No4DD: Yes, thank you for clarifying what I meant. I do think it is entirely possible. I really do not think Big N had less than 500 units made, even if all were not given away at the E3. But regardless, isn't it true that some Big N employees received the E3 controller as company gifts (or am I mistaken)?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Right!
I thought that when posting. These controllers were not really meant for the consumer, for what it's worth, they symbolize prestige.
Take the example that has an autograph by Shigeru Miyamoto, somebody would have had to know someone on the "inside" to get that accomplished!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
No64DD
Nov 11 2015, 10:14 AM
Take the example that has an autograph by Shigeru Miyamoto, somebody would have had to know someone on the "inside" to get that accomplished!
Yes, that is the one I was thinking of specifically. I thought that came from a company employee . . .

. . . and going back to the beginning of this thread, it appears it was not won, but gifted by a NOA employee to a family member at E3. "My older sister has worked for Nintendo of America for over fifteen years and gave this controller to me at the 1997 (?) E3 in Atlanta."
Edited by bluedogrulez, Nov 11 2015, 10:37 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
(slight bump to this thread in order to just refresh the E3 owner list as compiled by DarkLink from November of 2015)

The current identified E3 controller owner list:
1. Andrew Reiner (signed by Miyamoto and Imamura); acquired through competition (original owner)
2. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from Rengozu (NintendoAge)
3. owner unknown - (signed by Miyamoto, Arakawa, and Lincoln); (most likely original owner)
5. tobbelobbe - acquired through Nintendo Scandinavias HQ Bergsala (original owner)
7. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from saiya*jin (eBay)
8. George52577 - acquired through purchase from RsTheJuice401 (N64F)
9. Nadim9067 - acquired through purchase from nintedo64_fan (eBay)
10. mick_thunder_struck - acquired through purchase from bbcorvette07 (eBay)
11. mjwatts26 - acquired through purchase from spartan043 (eBay)
13. Darklink - acquired through purchase from ??? (eBay) (missing eBay seller info)

DarkLink
Nov 10 2015, 06:36 AM
@all - Does anyone know if mick_thunder_struck's controller was legit in the end?
Not 100% sure on this and doubt that we'll ever get to the bottom of it unless mick_thunder_struck or RsTheJuice401 comes forward. The reason I say that is because both of those controllers (#8 and #10) were from the same eBay seller (bbcorvette07) so it's likely that they are either both real or both fake.

*EDIT* #8 on the list has been updated to reflect the current owner and we are waiting for more pics for authentication.
Edited by ddr2nite, Feb 24 2016, 06:01 PM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

George52577
Member Avatar
I'd be happy to kick in more images of the controller I got from TheJuice, if it'd help authenicating it.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
George52577
Feb 24 2016, 05:55 PM
I'd be happy to kick in more images of the controller I got from TheJuice, if it'd help authenicating it.
I'll update the list to show that you're the current owner of #8... and yes, if you could upload a couple more pictures that is a close-up shot of the sticker that would be great. Also snap a picture of the plastic engraving near the top of the controller that says "Made In ____" would be cool to see as well.

" - MK II

George52577
Member Avatar
I've added a few to photobucket. Let me know if you need any more:

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/george52577/library/

jonebone
Member Avatar
Mjwatts is no longer an owner :)

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
jonebone
Feb 25 2016, 01:15 PM
Mjwatts is no longer an owner :)
I had been meaning to ask you where you acquired yours ;)

The current identified E3 controller owner list: (February 25th, 2016
2. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from Rengozu (NintendoAge)
7. ddr2nite - acquired through purchase from saiya*jin (eBay)
8. George52577 - acquired through purchase from RsTheJuice401 (N64F)
9. Nadim9067 - acquired through purchase from nintedo64_fan (eBay)
10. mick_thunder_struck - acquired through purchase from bbcorvette07 (eBay)
11. jonebone - acquired through purchase from mjwatts26 (N64F)
13. Darklink - acquired through purchase from ??? (eBay) (missing eBay seller info)

" - MK II

SoloJones64
Established Member
kami of time
Dec 4 2010, 12:42 AM
So I got this magazine off eBay because it had news coverage on the 1997 E3. This magazine is EGM2 if anyone has heard of it before. So I was looking through it and I assumed they would mention the controller somewhere, and sure enough, there was a little note of it on the bottom of a page I was reading. I was surprised it showed a picture of it! I just thought I'd share this little discovery with all of you, because I thought it was cool that they showed it in a magazine =]

Posted Image
hey which issue was this? i would like to buy it but I want to make sure it is the right one on ebay. Thanks!

DarkLink
Member Avatar
SoloJones64
May 27 2016, 03:01 PM
kami of time
So I got this magazine off eBay because it had news coverage on the 1997 E3. This magazine is EGM2 if anyone has heard of it before. So I was looking through it and I assumed they would mention the controller somewhere, and sure enough, there was a little note of it on the bottom of a page I was reading. I was surprised it showed a picture of it! I just thought I'd share this little discovery with all of you, because I thought it was cool that they showed it in a magazine =]

Posted Image
hey which issue was this? i would like to buy it but I want to make sure it is the right one on ebay. Thanks!
There u go:
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
DarkLink
Jun 10 2016, 07:20 AM
SoloJones64
May 27 2016, 03:01 PM
kami of time

Posted Image
There u go:
Posted Image
thank you very much!

tobbelobbe
still has mine ;D Does anyone else have proof of originality and ownership?

Unless i get an unrealistic offer im gonna keep it forever. In the future when we get a bigger house and finally can build a gameroom, i will build a lighted shrine for that and my golden oot signed by miyamoto ;D

SgtRaven
tobbelobbe
Jan 12 2017, 05:50 AM
still has mine ;D Does anyone else have proof of originality and ownership?

Unless i get an unrealistic offer im gonna keep it forever. In the future when we get a bigger house and finally can build a gameroom, i will build a lighted shrine for that and my golden oot signed by miyamoto ;D
Do you mind if I ask what an unrealistic offer is these days? Or is there is anyone else interested in parting?

Thanks!

-Daniel

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
^ pending on condition but if it's mint, like 1300+- ish

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image