Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
E3 1997 Official N64 Controller
Topic Started: Jan 9 2010, 03:56 PM (33,141 Views)
jonebone
Member Avatar
Well no offense but that price is way off. You'd have to negotiate with a seller and I can't imagine anyone selling thiers that cheap.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Yeah, that's a tough one. The 'ish' in $1,300-ish can go a long way!
Edited by No64DD, Jan 28 2017, 10:26 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
jonebone
Jan 28 2017, 07:17 PM
Well no offense but that price is way off. You'd have to negotiate with a seller and I can't imagine anyone selling thiers that cheap.
Having sold my extra E3 towards the second of last year (2016) I can confirm that $1300-ish is a bit off... as in too low.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

tobbelobbe
Well, im not in need of money so im not really gonna try and sell it. But i tend to focus on its future value instead of current,

if we look at history, any amount of time passed on something that was apreciated by the public will increase in value, if its only one generation, then it will last for a lifetime, with peak prices in the end of that generations lifetime (when everyone who played n64 is getting old and a good part of them rich. look at old cars etc)

Nintendo tho is even more secure because it has been around for so long, and got every generation since the 80s onboard. Its a secure market is what im trying to say, and an item like this in mint and with original proof in photos, documented media newspapers etc would be able be worth alot in 30 years.

When i got it, 2001 i actually got an offer for 1500$. I thought already then that this is more valuable than that.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Sure the value is certanily above 2000$ but I just want to give all the collectors out there hope that it is still possible to obtain one in the wild. Yes it took 2 years of constant searching but one day it sat there for 200$ on eBay. I was about to pay ddr any price for his and then I was glad I didn't. Ever since then I changed from beeing a more or less "greedy" collector to becoming a patient one. When collecting has tought me one thing, then that it is a sport of patience and no matter how unobtaiable something seems, you will get your chance if your persistant long enough. How many items have I lost before thinking "this is it, I'll never see this again" and then I did. I agree this is a tricky one to obtain and I got a little lucky, but often the payoff is way higher if you don't buy things in a rush for ridicullous prices. I just felt like sharing this because I was SOOO frustrated knowing I will never own one and I know how that can feel. In the end, I had 3 chances and the realisation that the value of something is not always related to its price.

Also you never know what happens, maybe they'll find a whole stack of these one day. Look what happened to me with my bronze Foxdata Controler for example. Only 2 found, way rarer than the E3 Controller...value possibly in the same realms if it would be official. And now someone opens a box and sets of these fly into collectors hands, but only the ones that have big Dollars in their wallets. What I'm trying to say is, even if my bronze Foxdata will be close to worthless now, I will never loose the value of the feelings I had when obtaining it. So look into the future optimisticly when looking for the E3, no item will ever gain endlessly in value and one day you'll get your chance!
Edited by DarkLink, Jan 29 2017, 09:03 AM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

tobbelobbe
I cant agree more with DarkLink. Just because something is worth alot, that does not mean you cant find it cheap!
Now i doubt there is an huge locker of the controllers laying around tho.

Foxdata controllers ididnt even know they were that rare, they were sold in stores? How could that ever be rare, by a third party company? I saw them in stores in sweden when i was a kid, imported sure but still there to just buy!

E3 controller was not sold in stores ;P Nintendos HQ in scandinavia got a hold of one. That says something. They are responsible for all nintendo products for like 5 countries atleast (some outside scandinavia too) and aslong as you get an original you gonna be cool in the long run.

Really helps that its gold too, gold is connected to Zelda, lots of ppl love zelda! Like me, i would sell at once if it wasnt gold. It was the gold prize after all! XD

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow! 4 e3 owners in the same place at the same time!

The ultimate multipayer.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

tobbelobbe
No64DD
Feb 1 2017, 12:52 PM
Wow! 4 e3 owners in the same place at the same time!

The ultimate multipayer.
Playin what ;D? GOLDENeye? ;D

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Maybe something with the D-pad...
We should take it easy on the thumbstick. ;)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Mario Kart 64 of course!

Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Now that is one hell of a photo!

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Should've put in an ANA console system and slapped in a Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut to really round out the picture of rare/expensive items...
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Yeah true :) This was at Gamescom. No idea why we didn't do it at the time. Consoles were all there.

Darkhorse
Man, this is the only controller left to collect (like probably tons of people) but it's so depressing to think about what it will take to acquire one :-(
If only there was a Star Fox tournament I could go to right now.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Sorry to bump - I've had a few people message me to check if ones they are about to buy are real or fake. What is the community's thoughts on these now? I am personally still too realistic and pessimistic to believe any of them are real apart from the signed one by the Nintendo staff. So easy to fake and no way to prove they are real.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
lithium017
May 7 2017, 07:54 AM
Sorry to bump - I've had a few people message me to check if ones they are about to buy are real or fake. What is the community's thoughts on these now? I am personally still too realistic and pessimistic to believe any of them are real apart from the signed one by the Nintendo staff. So easy to fake and no way to prove they are real.
Yes you are right. being able to buy exact gold foil leaf stickers on ebay now is just impossible to combat the fakes. I'm just wondering when the fake boxes start to come out for n64 controllers? we all know thats what makes a product worth so much! hello mac perfect example! the controller worth only $100-$200 max now but $2000+ with the box. I'm sure its only a matter of time.... I'd love to purchase an e3 but being no way to 100% identify original its not worth the risk.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Quote:

Being able to buy exact gold foil leaf stickers on ebay now is just impossible to combat the fakes.

This isn't true. They are not exact.
It's unfair to dismiss every e3 controller that comes by, nor is it fair to the current confirmed owners.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
No64DD
Jun 9 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:

Being able to buy exact gold foil leaf stickers on ebay now is just impossible to combat the fakes.

It's unfair to dismiss every e3 controller that comes by, nor is it fair to the current confirmed owners.
You are right the current sticker from one seller is not exact. but a quick msg to any of these sellers directly (few worldwide that i have found) with a custom sizing of the "N" logo would see differently. Once the stickers are a perfect match it will be impossible to distinguish between real & fake. its unfortunate but only a matter of time. even the GT fakes still have a market so its not all bad.

Rocky
Member Avatar
Strider
Jun 9 2017, 06:52 PM
No64DD
Jun 9 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:

You are right the current sticker from one seller is not exact. but a quick msg to any of these sellers directly (few worldwide that i have found) with a custom sizing of the "N" logo would see differently. Once the stickers are a perfect match it will be impossible to distinguish between real & fake. its unfortunate but only a matter of time. even the GT fakes still have a market so its not all bad.
There could have been good fakes back then for all we know, maybe even better. I would only feel comfortable with an E3 controller if I had some sort of paper work from the event or trackable history to connect it to the Star Fox competition.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Maybe that's also the problem. What kind of message is wanting to buy a fake sending?
I used to sympathize with the idea of people wanting fakes, until Solojones came along.
Just look at his instagram. He basically posts his fakes and repeats what Lithium said above. It's nonsense!
It's because he believes in his fakes so much that he's convinced himself that it is just the same as a real one, and they are not. :lol:

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Houghton0609
I purchased jonebone's pad earlier this year 😁

j.m.ratkos
bumping a long dead thread and I realize that I've never been a member before today on these forums, however I'm going to be listing both a CES 1997 N64 starfox competition controller and a 2002 E3 wavebird mario party competition controller on ebay.

both items are authentic, brand new and have never been used

I won 4 of the N64 controllers at the CES event and gave 3 of them away to friends. the one that I kept was never used and immediately stored in a black retail N64 controller box when I got home after the show.
I won 5 of the wavebird controllers at the 2002 E3 event (and kept 2). these are really nice and come packaged in a blue "crown royal" like velvet bag which is embroidered with the text "cut the cord"

for those who do not know me, I used to author guides for both prima and brady games back in the day (searching 'james ratkos' on amazon will reveal my body of work). I attended many CES shows and the first 10 years of E3. I will provide links to photos of the items later tonight
Edited by bluedogrulez, Apr 19 2018, 11:38 AM.

Intendall64
Member Avatar
j.m.ratkos
Apr 19 2018, 11:18 AM
bumping a long dead thread and I realize that I've never been a member before today on these forums, however I'm going to be listing both a CES 1997 N64 starfox competition controller and a 2002 E3 wavebird mario party competition controller on ebay.

Hi, amazing information!

I would be extremely interested in buying the E3 controller from you. I missed out on the last one sold on this forum by a whisker!

If it's ok I will message you.

Thanks

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Welcome James.

Almost everybody associates this N64 controller with the e3 event. We would definitely like to hear more about the CES event. That would've been before e3 97.

Can you please take a pic of where it is made?
Edited by No64DD, Apr 19 2018, 12:41 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Just putting it out there because we've been here before. Civil discussion of these items and their authenticity will be permitted here.

Any drama about the deals, personal attacks, or reputation bashing will not.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
j.m.ratkos
Apr 19 2018, 11:18 AM

both items are authentic, brand new and have never been used

I won 4 of the N64 controllers at the CES event and gave 3 of them away to friends. the one that I kept was never used and immediately stored in a black retail N64 controller box when I got home after the show.
I won 5 of the wavebird controllers at the 2002 E3 event (and kept 2). these are really nice and come packaged in a blue "crown royal" like velvet bag which is embroidered with the text "cut the cord"

for those who do not know me, I used to author guides for both prima and brady games back in the day (searching 'james ratkos' on amazon will reveal my body of work). I attended many CES shows and the first 10 years of E3. I will provide links to photos of the items later tonight
Like No64DD said, that's cool that they weren't only given out at E3. Also very interested in seeing the wavebird, I've read about one a while back where somebody received on in a velvet bag that said 'Ride the Wave' or something like that. Can't wait to see them!
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

j.m.ratkos
No64DD
Apr 19 2018, 12:34 PM
Welcome James.

Almost everybody associates this N64 controller with the e3 event. We would definitely like to hear more about the CES event. That would've been before e3 97.

Can you please take a pic of where it is made?
ok, so my memory isn't as good as I thought it was. I could have sworn that E3 didn't start until after 1997, but that would have been wrong since we were doing our first guide for prima (final fantasy tactics) in 1997.

so I stand corrected and it was the 1997 E3 starfox event

the link for photos of both controllers can be found here:
http://www.phosphors.com/E3%20nintendo%20controllers/

to win the wavebird controller, you were shuffled through a line and sat down at a roulette type wheel where you could win (if I recall correctly), a foam gamecube, gameboy advance, one of 4 t-shirts (mario sunshine, windwaker, and two others that I'd have to get back into the box to see what they were or a 4" diameter aluminum disc with the nintendo N cut out of it (I know this because I kept one ;)
if you won the aluminum disc, you were shuttled to a grandstand style seating area with 3 other E3 patrons and played 3 rounds of mario party for the gamecube (using wavebird controllers of course). the person with the highest number of points after 3 rounds was declared the winner and walked away with one of the wavebirds in the purple pouches. I'll have to try and find the aluminum disc. I still have it somewhere in one of the 80+ paper ream boxes in my basement containing all of my video gaming stuff.

as far as authenticity goes, I can provide photos of whatever other merchandise that I still have from all of the shows (which is quite a bit). my collection has grown to over 3,000 sealed games and a complete run of weekly famitsu magazine from the first weekly issue in june of 1991 through issue 1,500 (fall 2017) when I finally decided to stop

my body of work for prima:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajames+ratkos&page=2&keywords=james+ratkos&ie=UTF8&qid=1524182389

additionally, jessica chobot (www.nerdist.com) will back up all of my claims (I was the one who got her into her first E3 and helped her make the connections with the video game industry)
Edited by j.m.ratkos, Apr 19 2018, 06:08 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'll let the true N64 enthusiasts comment on the controllers but I just want to say that I own at least two of the strategy guides you worked on back in the day and so I just want to say thanks for the hard work you put into them!

j.m.ratkos
god, that was a horrible project to work on. every time they changed the game code, they sent us a new N64 dev cart and the save data was never compatible with the earlier revisions. we had to start the game over at least 20x during the writing of that guide

I managed to locate the 4 foam "stress reliever" gamecubes and game boy advances and have added an additional 2 photos of them in the same directory linked above
Edited by j.m.ratkos, Apr 19 2018, 06:21 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Uh oh, looks like I own 3 of your guides:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Ocean: The Second Story
and...Quest 64 :o

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply