Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Blade Runner II ?
Topic Started: Aug 26 2011, 08:23 AM (1,021 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm hearing rumblings that Ridley Scott has finally secured the rights to do another Blade Runner movie. No one is sure if it'll be a prequel or sequel although I've heard that it can't be a remake, although that's not confirmed as fact as far as I know.

To say that I'm excited is to put it mildly as the original Blade Runner ranks right up there with the original Terminator and Highlander in its creativity. Just like those other two films Blade Runner has some flaws but none that have kept it from attaining cult status.

There are many reasons to like the original Blade Runner ranging from its artsy dystopic vision of a future Los Angeles to the brilliant acting by Rutger Hauer who literally stole the show. The movie is thick with atmosphere blending the grittiness of the 1940's detective noir genre with science fantasy and amazing lighting not seen anywhere shy of high-end fashion shoots of the era.

What I always liked best about Blade Runner is the way it dealt with the concept of intellect defining our humanity. You see, the main character Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) is a manufactured life form designed as a "combat model" hence he is imbued with supreme mental capacity. Although the film never outright says so we get the sense that his intelligence has been granted to give him advantages when fighting corporate directed wars on battlefields outside Earth. That's all pretty standard sci-fi fare but what really sets this theme apart is the way Ridley Scott allowed Rutger Hauer to explore the role. Not since Daniel Keyes' touching novel Flowers for Algernon, which was later adapted in to the movie Charly, have we seen or felt the level of compassion that Roy Batty evokes in this scene which feels like it was written by an equally gifted descendant of William Shakespeare, but was actually somewhat improvised by Rutger himself:

Quote: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." ;_;

In the end the uber-human Roy Batty proves himself to be the better man by pardoning his would-be executioner Deckard played by Harrison Ford. I can't wait for the sequel!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
A sequel? i still havent figured out the first one...
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
I loved Blade Runner. I remember watching it several times as a kid.

I've also heard that there making a new Total Recall. Another great classic, although I can't help but think that without Arnie, the remake won't be much cop.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Total Recall

that's the one with the three-titted harlot, right?
The only Arnie movie i actually enjoyed watching
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mk II
Aug 26 2011, 08:37 AM
A sequel? i still havent figured out the first one...
The original is a success on so many different levels. Some consider it a simple action film while others see it as a love story. Nonetheless, Blade Runner has a devout cult following here in the United States because of the deep implications surrounding the morality of creating synthetic life.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
You didn't like Terminator 2?!
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
Alice Lawless
Aug 26 2011, 12:04 PM
You didn't like Terminator 2?!
How can any action fan not like Terminator 2?! That scene with Arnold shooting and reloading his shotgun with ONE HAND while controlling the bike with his other hand was freaking badass.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Blade Runner has a devout cult following here in the United States because of the deep implications

oh, i know, i know... im a bit of an sci-fi buff and i actually read the novel it was based on before the film was made.
And i love that movie (and the soundtrack!!!) because it has so many levels, thats what i meant. i dont need a sequel, the first is still puzzling end fascinating enough.
Also, i've never seen a sequel / prequel / remake that was any better or even just as good.
Look what George Lucas did to Star Wars!

Quote:

How can any action fan not like Terminator 2

i dunno, guess i like at least some professional acting in my movies. to be honest: im not a big fan of action movies because i prefer a decent plot over guns and explosions.
Edited by Mk II, Aug 26 2011, 01:17 PM.
Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Mk II
Aug 26 2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:

Total Recall

that's the one with the three-titted harlot, right?
The only Arnie movie i actually enjoyed watching
Yep the mutant-prostitute with 3 boobs, classic moments in cinematic history. 8) Two Arnold's and that wrinkly dramatic bad guy, can't go wrong! I like all his action movies, just to smile at though.. ha

Also back to blade runner, I just have no more faith in a new movie. I've been let down too many times with these remakes.. lol The whole thing will be computer generated up the ass, just as much as Transformers to where it totally zones you out of the story. Wait a second, was there a story? :P The problem with using CGI to create these immense worlds at this point in time, is that studios overdo it to the extreme. If this movie is made, I hope Ridley Scott has complete creative control over the project. If so, I think he'll use special effects tastefully like Peter Jackson in the Lord of the Rings series. Whereas there is a nice balance between what is real and generated.

In my opinion the original Blade Runner still holds up today as far as special effects, this is because of Ridley Scott directly so I hope he's not swayed to take part in a CGI mess like so many other blockbusters these days. All summer movies now that have disproportional real props and backgrounds compared to generated ones will be outdated in 10 years, and nobody will watch them. They'll just create another reboot of the transformers series in 20 years when CGI is even better, and then another in 20 years after that, and so on, and so on... All these outdated CGI movies being lost in the dust.

Story won't even really matter in 10 years the way things are going, it will just be 90 minutes of stuff getting f#$k'd up and pointless hot babes.. lol
Anybody else feel this way, or am I taking these summer blockbusters way too seriously? :-/

Edited by TNT737373, Aug 26 2011, 01:18 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The original Blade Runner is from a time before summer blockbusters so hopefully it will transcend the pitfalls associated with that marketing ploy.

There are several iterations of Blade Runner but I still prefer the original theatrical release because of the overdub which helps explain things a bit. It also helps immerse the viewer in that 1940's detective movie feel.

As far as sequels go I actually like The Empire Strike Back almost as much as the original Star Wars: A New Hope. Same goes with The Matrix Reloaded which in many ways is deeper than The Matrix. Then there's Aliens, directed by James Cameron, which I actually enjoy more than Alien which ironically enough was directed by Ridley Scott. :lol:

Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
I have nothing against sequels at all. I love sequels! It's just when their done in poor taste that I become angry! Indiana Jones 4, Scream 2, Jaws 2, Godfather pt. 3, Blue Brothers 2, etc....

Now prequels,.. that's another story. :angry: In general, find those desperate revivals of solid franchises that should be left alone. There are few exceptions, but almost never are they decent movies.

I like the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions too, but looking back they had so much potential to be better considering what the first movie put down.
Also I agree the theatrical release of Blade Runner "moves you" more, but I can't explain why. Certain scene edits I guess.
Edited by TNT737373, Aug 26 2011, 02:51 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
This trailer gives me chills! :w00t:

Blade Runner 2049

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
they need to do it right or they'll get flame to death for doing a sequel to a cult movie of this magnitude. it does look very good so far, hopefully it stays this way for the whole movie !

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The original Blade Runner was bathed in cyberpunk but since that's no longer a thing I'm kinda worried about 2049. :huh:

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
If Kurzweil's Law is any guide, then it should make an accelerated return. ;)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
Jan 16 2017, 05:55 PM
If Kurzweil's Law is any guide, then it should make an accelerated return. ;)
Funny! :lol:

I wonder if the upcoming Ghost in the Shell starring Scarlett Johansson is going to steal some of Blade Runner 2049's thunder?

Hey, with these two epic cyberpunk movies coming out in the same year maybe the genre isn't dead after all. I just hope 2049 lives up to my expectations because I've had 30 plus years to imagine a sequel. ;)
Edited by Grizzmeister, Jan 16 2017, 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
i think it's gonna be a very good movie.
Edited by Cabanon, Jan 17 2017, 11:17 AM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm looking forward to this. I really need to rewatch the original in the interim because it has been years since I last did.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Trailer # 2

I'm getting VERY excited! :w00t:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Blade Runner 2049 trailer has been expanded slightly.

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer 2 - Published on Jul 17, 2017

It has me a tad bit worried that one of my favorite themes from the original movie won't be explored further in the upcoming sequel. That being the concept that intellect defines humanity more than any other attribute. Seems like 2049 will instead focus on replicants seeking longer lifespans as to become the inevitable next step in evolution. That's just a guess but there are clues to that effect in the trailer if I'm reading them correctly.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Intelligence, is it really so special? You bet it is as even now SETI desperately and so far vainly searches the skies for signs of it on distant worlds. Our intelligence is little more than an adaptation to help us to survive the realities of our own cruel and seemingly indifferent world but what a miraculous gift it is. So special is intellect that it even has some among us believing that it could have only been bestowed by some higher power. I don't share that belief but I did appreciate the way that the original Blade Runner portrayed the extremely clever battle replicant Roy - who in his final moments proved to be more human than even his own creators and then so sublimely explained why he wanted more life.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"

All those spectacular memories lost forever as if they had never even happened at all... ;_;

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
cant wait to see it in theater. what's the release date ?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Jul 18 2017, 01:41 PM
cant wait to see it in theater. what's the release date ?
I believe it gets a North American release on October 6th. You're in Canada, right?

By the number of views the newest trailer has already, you can really tell there are a lot of people looking forward to seeing it. Let's just hope it doesn't disappoint.

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
thanks, and yes im in Canada. should be out the same day, hopefully there's gonna be an english viewing, otherwise i'll have to see it in french, in which case i'll wait for the blu-ray release to see it.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
After having watched the Blade Runner 2049 trailer multiple times several thoughts have popped in to my head. Please allow me to share them with you.

1) So the original Blade Runner expressed the widespread fear of the 1980's that Japan would eventually replace the United States as the top global economic power. Those concerns were undoubtedly rooted in the fact that the Japanese automotive and electronics industries were making exponential strides at the time. Obviously that theme wouldn't play so well today but given the fact that the Chinese economy has surpassed that of Japan, shouldn't that new reality be reflected in BR2049?

2) The first-person narration by Harrison Ford in the theatrical release of the original Blade Runner really helped sell the 1940's detective vibe for me and sadly I don't think it'll be present in 2049. :(

3) I'm pleased that 2049 isn't being released as a summer blockbuster dependent on over-the-top action to pull in audiences. However, it looks like the film will have much more action than the original, which in the end may not allow the sequel to develop the deep elements of mystery which gave the first Blade Runner such enduring appeal.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
To help fill in the time line between the original Blade Runner and its upcoming sequel, this little short has been released.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2036: Nexus Dawn" Short

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Another prequel short.

2048: Nowhere to Run

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Saw a preview as well. Looks awesome. I have never seen the first though. Anybody else have flashbacks to the Chicago level on PD while watching the trailer?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
People who've already seen Blade Runner 2049 are saying it's really good. I can hardly wait to see it for myself! :w00t:

In the meantime, here's another short to wet our appetite.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "Black Out 2022" Anime Short

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
'Blade Runner 2049' Crashes at Box Office With $31.5 Million

I saw it Saturday and I can't say I'm surprised. At a time when people's attention spans are shorter than ever BR2049 is simply too long. Also, it's nowhere near as thought provoking as the original or even 2014's similarly themed masterpiece Her.

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Mrs. Kart went to see it. I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it yet. I saw that it was 3 hours and said, yikes!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV, Movies, Music & Other Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: