Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
F-Zero X; April Game of the Month
Topic Started: Dec 14 2007, 06:55 PM (1,195 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Posted Image

Our third challenge is yet another Time Trial, this time through F-Zero X's Big Blue level, which is in the Jack Cup. You can choose whichever craft you want and set the speed/acceleration slider to whatever you feel comfortable with. What we're looking for is the best time for completing all three laps.

Please note what region of game you're playing (i.e. US, Japan, UK, Australian, etc) so that the times can be divided into PAL and NTSC times (as NTSC runs slightly faster), and whether it's the N64 or Virtual Console version of the game you've used. Please also list what craft you used.

My terrible first try was 2:06:24 for the UK N64 version, and I used the Blue Falcon.
:-/
Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
My first try was:

VERSION: N64 US
MACHINE: Mighty Hurricane
SETTINGS: +2.5 (meaning 2.5 ticks away from the center)
TOTAL: 1'33''561
BEST LAP: 00'29'605

I can definitely do better than that. Thanks for picking one of my least favorite courses by the way! :lol:

Say, are you keeping track of who is winning these challenges?

Also, with this post I have defeated the Floorcat -- again! (He won't stay down off the furniture).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Dec 15 2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks for picking one of my least favorite courses by the way! :lol:

That's okay! :lol: I really only picked Big Blue because it's in the first cup and I wanted a track that everyone can access fairly easily. If we get a lot of people joining in with this challenge then we'll have another F-Zero X challenge on a more complex track.

dagoss
Dec 15 2007, 03:15 AM
Say, are you keeping track of who is winning these challenges?

No need, as the challenges never close. That said, I try to post updates in each challenge topic, so that we know who's got the best time. If you want to you can revive any of the older challenges and post a better time. :)

We could have an overall scoreboard, with points for who's first, second and third in each challenge... but someone else can start that topic, as I'm too lazy to keep it updated. >_< ^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Quote:

We could have an overall scoreboard, with points for who's first, second and third in each challenge... but someone else can start that topic, as I'm too lazy to keep it updated.

-_- Fine, I'll pick up the slack64 for the good of N64dom.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
All times on NTSC

Attempt # 1: Twin Noritta - 1'40"089 +3 Bars Max Speed
Attempt # 2: Twin Noritta - 1'33"647 +3
Attempt # 3: Twin Noritta - 1'38"855 +3
Attempt # 4: Twin Noritta - 1'33"632 +3
Attempt # 5: Twin Noritta - 1'34"000 +3
Attempt # 6: Twin Noritta - 1'32"115 +4
Attempt # 7: Twin Noritta - 1'38"012 +4
Attempt # 8: Twin Noritta - 1'34"379 +4
Attempt # 9: Red Gazelle - 1'34"135 +4
Attempt #10:Red Gazelle - 1'33"086 +4
Attempt #11:Red Gazelle - 1'30"178 +4
Attempt # 12:Queen Meteor - 1'32"256 +5

Staff Ghost:
Unlock Time: 1'35"000
Beat Time: 1'23"087

Closes Time: 1'30"178 (Attempt # 11)

I'll try some more.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 06:38 AM
Attempt #11:Red Gazelle - 1'30"178 *4

Nice, looks like our new record! How's things, Applepieman? :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
alxbly
Dec 15 2007, 12:43 AM
Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 06:38 AM
Attempt #11:Red Gazelle - 1'30"178 *4

Nice, looks like our new record! How's things, Applepieman? :)

Things have been pretty good. Christmas coming up and in January I'm getting 200 dollars (tax season and my dad shares some moola with me :D), so I'll get at least one new N64 at the beggining of next year.

Also beating this staff ghost is insane, reading a FAQ just now, you have to hit all 9 boost pads around the cylinder on the track, and you must hit everyone -_-

Deleted User
Deleted User

Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 07:13 AM
Also beating this staff ghost is insane, reading a FAQ just now, you have to hit all 9 boost pads around the cylinder on the track, and you must hit everyone  -_-

That's not too bad! It'll just take practice, that's all. And maybe a little luck... ^_^ I remember the utter evilness that was F-Zero GX's story mode. Now THAT was insane!
Quote Post Goto Top

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
alxbly
Dec 15 2007, 01:16 AM
Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 07:13 AM
Also beating this staff ghost is insane, reading a FAQ just now, you have to hit all 9 boost pads around the cylinder on the track, and you must hit everyone  -_-

That's not too bad! It'll just take practice, that's all. And maybe a little luck... ^_^ I remember the utter evilness that was F-Zero GX's story mode. Now THAT was insane!

It took me forever to complete every level in Story Mode on Very Hard, especially Number 7 and 9 (GP Race and Staff Ghost on the Phantom Road with no walls :blink: )

Deleted User
Deleted User

Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 07:23 AM
It took me forever to complete every level in Story Mode on Very Hard, especially Number 7 and 9 (GP Race and Staff Ghost on the Phantom Road with no walls :blink: )

Did you unlock the AX Cup? I did, but it was far too hard. I tried the first race and it was just... brutal. I gave up shortly afterwards. It was just too much. >_<
Quote Post Goto Top

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yup, I unlocked AX Cup. I just know I got pissed off at the game alot and stop playing it for long periods of time.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
WOOT!!!

New Time for me:

Astro Robin - 1'25"845 + 3
Astro Robin - 1'25"646 + 3
Astro Robin - 1'25"270 + 3
Astro Robin - 1'23"707 + 3

Goal: 1'23"087 (Only .620 of a second a away from beating the Staff Ghost)

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 01:23 AM

Impressive. I made it through normal and up to mission 7 on hard before I gave up with that. I did beat all cups, including the AX cup, on all difficulty setting and defeated about 25% of the staff ghosts. I couldn't seem to nail snaking, so that's about the best I can do.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
dagoss
Dec 15 2007, 09:44 AM
Applepieman
Dec 15 2007, 01:23 AM
It took me forever to complete every level in Story Mode on Very Hard, especially Number 7 and 9 (GP Race and Staff Ghost on the Phantom Road with no walls  :blink: )

Impressive. I made it through normal and up to mission 7 on hard before I gave up with that. I did beat all cups, including the AX cup, on all difficulty setting and defeated about 25% of the staff ghosts. I couldn't seem to nail snaking, so that's about the best I can do.

I didn't even knew how the snake until after I unlocked everything. I didn't know you could do it at all. In fact I didn't learn how to do it until about 3 weeks ago.

WMJ
Established Member
My best time is 1'19"400 PAL

Here's a video of it ^_^: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txgZBv04eDo

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
WMJ
Dec 20 2007, 05:22 PM
My best time is 1'19"400 PAL

Here's a video of it ^_^: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txgZBv04eDo

Of course we have to have someone with advance playing skills that I been trying to learn...

WMJ
Established Member
Lol I didn't exactly learn it in one day either but once you can do some of the advanced moves like double-tap dives this games really opens up :)

Here is a pretty good guide with video demonstrations of some of the advanced techniques: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=829

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
WMJ
Dec 20 2007, 06:04 PM
Lol I didn't exactly learn it in one day either but once you can do some of the advanced moves like double-tap dives this games really opens up :)

Here is a pretty good guide with video demonstrations of some of the advanced techniques: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=829

I'm aware of the site, as I am a member (LemonDrop)

If you check the custom track topic, on page 30 and 31, you can see some custom tracks I created using the FZEP Track Editor.

EDIT:

Or check my youtube account

http://youtube.com/profile?user=Applepieman1990

Deleted User
Deleted User

WMJ
Dec 21 2007, 12:04 AM

Thanks, I'd never seen that site before. I'd never heard of the double tap dive before either... :o ^_^

I'm too lazy to learn new techniques now, so I ain't gonna be much competion for this challenge.
Quote Post Goto Top

WMJ
Established Member
Applepieman
Dec 20 2007, 05:57 PM
WMJ
Dec 20 2007, 06:04 PM

I'm aware of the site, as I am a member (LemonDrop)

If you check the custom track topic, on page 30 and 31, you can see some custom tracks I created using the FZEP Track Editor.

EDIT:

Or check my youtube account

http://youtube.com/profile?user=Applepieman1990

I checked some of the vids on your youtube account and there are some really cool custom track in there :)

To get a good time on Big Blue without any advanced techniques I would pick Twin Noritta and put the settings about two stripes from the right. Then make sure you hit all the boosters but skip the second to last one on the boost laps and the third to last one (on the bend) on the opener lap. Use side-attacks to keep your grip (Z for a turn to the left, R for a turn to the right). With some practice times of 1'33 PAL or faster should be possible but for anything sub 1'30 you'd need a different strat.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
Only reason I chose the Astro Robin was because I kept sliding every which way, so I stuck with an A grip vehicle.

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
Are the challanges still going on?

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
Challenges will continue going as long as the topic for that particular challenge is still open.

WMJ
Established Member
I just stumbled across a site which has a time attack video of Big Blue using the old wr strategy with Twin Noritta. This strategy should be a lot easier to get a good time with as it doesn't use double-tap dives or any other advanced techniques. The time was 1'12 but I remember the old wr with this strat was 1'08 NTSC.

http://noripyon.private.coocan.jp/N64-F-ZE...Movie/movie.htm

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Is there a way in F-Zero X to save your game? The only thing I see in the manual about saving refers to saving a ghost for racing against your best times or whatever. I started the GP and had to stop after two races. I saw no way to save nor did I see any evidence of an auto save. I see on N64 Answers in the game save thread that there is a master save for the game. What does that mean? Halp! >_<

Deleted User
Deleted User

There's no way to save in between GP races. My advice would be either just finish all four races in one sitting (it doens't take that long, surely... if it does you need more practice :P ) or, if you need to do something else just pause the N64 and leave it on. It's not gonna overheat or anything as long as it's reasonably well ventilated. If you're gone for a few hours then your game will still be waiting when you come back.

Hope that helps. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
alxbly
Apr 10 2008, 06:27 PM
There's no way to save in between GP races. My advice would be either just finish all four races in one sitting (it doens't take that long, surely... if it does you need more practice :P ) or, if you need to do something else just pause the N64 and leave it on.

There are six races in the GP! I'm sure you're going to backpeddle and be like "but wait, Master David! I mean to say four races in addition to the two he already completed!" but that is not what you said, therefore you have succeeded only in being wrong!

Though really, it only takes 10-15 minutes to complete a grand prix. Being able to save would introduce a host of abuses anyway (like those in Mario Golf). The only effective way to implement a save system would be to allow you to save between races only, and to delete the save after it is loaded -- but this seems like an almost pointless feature considering how long a GP actually takes...

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Apr 11 2008, 12:58 PM
There are six races in the GP! I'm sure you're going to backpeddle and be like "but wait, Master David! I mean to say four races in addition to the two he already completed!" but that is not what you said, therefore you have succeeded only in being wrong!

:lol: yeah, I made a mistake. Maybe I was thinking about F-Zero GX having four tracks per GP (is that right)? But I did switch on the N64 to test saving in between races and it's a big no.

So there you go, I was wrong. And, unlike some people, I don't mind admitting that I'm not right 100% of the time... :P
Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
dagoss
Apr 11 2008, 09:58 PM
alxbly,Apr 10 2008
06:27 PM
Being able to save would introduce a host of abuses anyway (like those in Mario Golf).

Whats these Mario Golf save issues?

And F-Zero GX has 5 tracks per GP. :o

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Apr 11 2008, 08:37 AM
Maybe I was thinking about F-Zero GX having four tracks per GP (is that right)?

It's Mario Kart that has 4 races for a GP. :o

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: