Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
F-Zero X; April Game of the Month
Topic Started: Dec 14 2007, 06:55 PM (1,335 Views)
Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
The only two songs from F-Zero I can play on guitar are (you guessed it!) Mute City and Big Blue. Though Mute City is the kind of song that gives me that energetic feeling where I just go apesh*t on the guitar! :D

Only thing is I'm nowhere near as good as the people on YouTube since I've only been playing for two years inconsistently
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thanks to this message board I finally mustered enough initiative to beat all the tracks in F-Zero X on Master difficulty. It was no easy feat I'll tell you and it took me all of 3 years (on and off) to accomplish it.

Most people who claim to have beaten the game have only done so on the easier difficulty levels but F-Zero X doesn't really get interesting until you start racing on Expert. That's when the real fun begins because you have to knock out your rival(s) to stand a chance of winning the cup and even at that you may not come in first on every race.

What's really sweet for me is that I finally earned the new intro screen! :w00t:
Posted Image
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

NecroCombine666
Really wish I could play this. No one has it up for trade on goozex and I have only toyed with the series on SNES. I have shadowman though. lol

Heinrold
Member Avatar
congratulations for the new intro screen, grizzmeister. it looks really cool and I always think after playing through this game, that this screen is an excellent trophy for the gamer.
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
NecroCombine666
Apr 22 2011, 12:11 AM
Really wish I could play this. No one has it up for trade on goozex and I have only toyed with the series on SNES. I have shadowman though. lol
Just buy it on eBay, a loose copy is only about $10 or less. You can usually get the game CIB pretty cheap, you just have to look around.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Heinrold
Apr 8 2011, 04:40 PM
Do you have a favorite character? For me this would be Mighty Gazelle/Red Gazelle.

Gomar and Shioh are best known as "Georgey and Stanley" when playing with my friends. :D It's really fun to play the 4-player-mode when all of you take the same strange character and then even chose the same vehicle-colour ^^
It terms of race characteristics I'd say Bio Rex and his vehicle Big Fang which suits my technical driving style perfectly. I like Big Fang's excellent grip and durable body. Granted the boosting characteristics aren't great but in my opinion that's a fair tradeoff.

I suspect F-Zero X's goofy cast of characters which I tend to call out by name whenever I pass them or they pass me, and its comic book art style are the reasons why the game doesn't feel dated or old. It just has this neat retro over-the-top quality which to my mind makes it a true classic.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Technical Driving Style?

Yeah, i've had that title screen since...whenever, its a great reward for a job well done.

Managed to beat Joker on Master Difficulty.
Used Baba.
Took out 9 people on Big Hand. >:-]

I still feel like playing this game some more.
Maybe I should try and beat a cup on Master and take out over 30 people. 8)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
D.J Cat
Apr 22 2011, 10:12 PM
Technical Driving Style?

Performing perfect drift turns without slowing too much.

Hey D.J Cat, sounds like you're a master at F-Zero X. Have you beaten all the staff ghosts yet? :huh:

Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
D.J Cat
Apr 22 2011, 10:12 PM
Took out 9 people on Big Hand. >:-]
I still feel like playing this game some more.
Maybe I should try and beat a cup on Master and take out over 30 people. 8)
12 on Big Hand. 41 on the whole cup :D 1st place! ;)

I needed several trys on the 4th and 5th track which mostly wasn't dramatic because I took out 5 opponents before.
this was much easier than on the first cup where I couldnt even take out 5 on mute city and get a good ranking.

Master Cup (look at the extra-lifes ;) )
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2978/pict0466n.jpg

before driving through the finish. 12 stars.
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/4408/pict0467.jpg

1st place
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1380/pict0468r.jpg

41 stars in total
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4056/pict0469.jpg

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I dont remember if I did any Staff Ghosts, but i didnt spend a great deal of time on Time Trial.
No one to take out. :lol:

41 Stars, impressive.
I like how there was only 12 people left at the end of the race. :D
Im gonna have to keep trying.
Had a few unsuccsesul attempts on the Queen and King Cups.

What does everyone think of the X Cup?
I like it a lot in multiplayer.
Ive had some tracks where on the 2nd lap when you get boosts EVERY other racer drives off the track and your the only one left.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I hate to see April and F-Zero X end. ;_;

Posted Image

zar
Member Avatar
I just bought this game and F Zero GX on ebay today, excited to get em.
Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
After some hard boost sessions I beat 4 staff ghosts :) but some of them are too good :(

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Heinrold
May 2 2011, 03:13 AM
After some hard boost sessions I beat 4 staff ghosts :) but some of them are too good :(
Yeah the staff ghosts are really very challenging although I've greatly improved my own times by trying to beat them.

F-Zero X and GX represent my two favorite racing games and after playing them so much I can't go back to sims like Gran Turismo or Forza because they feel too slow in comparison.

My other favorite N64 racer Wave Race 64 was also developed by Nintendo's internal EAD team. It's an incredible racing game too but can generally be beaten pretty quickly which tends to diminish its replay value somewhat.

Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
you're right, the staff ghosts really help to improve your own driving style, too. but i wonder, why some of the ghosts are so easy to beat while others are always a few seconds faster then I :blink:

zar
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
May 2 2011, 07:04 AM
Heinrold
May 2 2011, 03:13 AM
Yeah the staff ghosts are really very challenging although I've greatly improved my own times by trying to beat them.

F-Zero X and GX represent my two favorite racing games and after playing them so much I can't go back to sims like Gran Turismo or Forza because they feel too slow in comparison.

My other favorite N64 racer Wave Race 64 was also developed by Nintendo's internal EAD team. It's an incredible racing game too but can generally be beaten pretty quickly which tends to diminish its replay value somewhat.
Hahaha I can totally relate Forza/GT is sooo boring and feels so slow after you've been playing such arcade style racing games. And Wave Race is incredible I never though I would like a jet ski game but that game is so fun.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
zar
May 2 2011, 09:22 PM
Hahaha I can totally relate Forza/GT is sooo boring and feels so slow after you've been playing such arcade style racing games. And Wave Race is incredible I never though I would like a jet ski game but that game is so fun.
Wave Race 64 is an amazing game for people who enjoy a challenging racing experience. I know many say that it doesn't have enough substance but those are usually people who have never gone beyond the Easy Mode. That's a shame because the game doesn't become interesting until at least the Hard Mode when the tracks change more dramatically with each lap. In fact, it can take some gamers a good deal of perseverance to beat the Expert Mode which forces the player to contend not only with the incredible wave physics but also with the other racers which become quite aggressive.

Wave Race 64 is a stunningly beautiful game too. Sunset Bay has a soft orange glow from the late-day setting sun and Drake Lake literally has a morning fog hanging over the water that burns off during each lap. Overall I'd say that WR64 is a masterpiece that should be played to completion by anyone who fancies himself a racing game aficionado.

Posted Image

NintenBroke
Glad everyone seemed to enjoy F-Zero X. This is one of my favorite games on the Nintendo 64, I haven't been able to be on much lately due to warmer weather and outside chores, then a terrible storm did some major damage to my house. I don't get to play much in the warmer months, but I do a little, then I get in deeper from October on through March.
Anyway I still haven't mastered this game but I'm still playing, so congrats to those of you
who discovered this game for the first time and those who rediscoverd it!! Until next time, NintenBroke

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: