Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Perfect Dark; Nintendo 64
Topic Started: Oct 14 2011, 05:48 PM (1,689 Views)
Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
IMO, the best N64 game, and the best FPS ever made.

Posted Image

Best qualities:

1. Art style

This game has a unique look. Sharp, colourful, detailed, flashy. The weapons look especially cool, from the neon-blue alien ones to the chrome pistols.

2. Sound

The music is killer. IMO, right up there with Zelda & Mario. Some notable tracks include Chicago, Air Force One X, Training, Perfect Menu Theme, and Credits.

The sound effects are even more killer, from the alarms & doors to the reloads & footsteps.

3. Options

This is the most configurable FPS ever, and the second most option-filled game I've ever seen. Almost everything on the HUD can be toggled, 8 different control schemes (4 for one controller, 4 for two!), subtitles, 8 multiplayer bots with adjustable difficulties & personalities, 30-some weapons organizable into 6 MP weapon slots, tons of cheats, special multiplayer rules, and on and on and on...

4. Gameplay

Single player mode features some elements of stealth, but the real meat of the game, multiplayer, is completely frantic, thanks to compact, maze-like levels & incredible weapon variety featuring everything from the tranquilizer, knife, & sniper rifle, to the fly-by-wire Slayer rocket, shower-n-pray Reaper, and the nearly game breaking N-Bomb! Quick 'n' easy controls too!

Worst features:

1. Framerate

Although it's usually fast enough, sometimes during heavy action, especially in multiplayer, it gets distracting.

2. Characters

Everybody is a total cliché, from the way they speak, to the way they look.

3. Multiplayer maps

There are a few absolute classics (Felicity, G5, Ravine, Fortress), but many are flawed. Base is too big, the doors in Ruins slow things down, Villa has too many long hallways, Car Park's stairs really slow things down, Area 52 is bland.

Scores:

Graphics - 9.8
Sound - 10
Controls - 9.7
Gameplay - 9.9
Atmosphere - 10
Replay value - 9.9
Fun factor - 10

Overall (not an average) - 9.8

8)

P.S. Ignore the XBLA "port". The core gameplay remains intact, and the 1080p resolution is beautiful, but the art style has been tweaked (weapons, character heads, particle effects), taking away some of its unique edge, and the game is also replete with bugs, include broken quick-select on legacy controls, numerous sound bugs, shields on "hardcore" online playlists, severe lag during online Co-op & Counter-op play, and a few other distracting oddities that, when taken together, almost destroy the immersiveness. 8.4/10 overall.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
I liked that review, good job! When it comes to ranking though it's hard to choose between two great games such as Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, either you go for improvement/simplicity, or nostalgia. Perfect Dark was definitely a leap up from Goldeneye in my opinion, but I just have too many memories with Goldeneye. That just makes me like it more. With Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, I actually like Tooie more however, because it was an extension on my childhood and more challenging. With the same protagonists I could continue the adventure.

Nevertheless Rare produced two excellent FPS's that hold their own quite well, even today. Goldeneye being more simplistic in controls and objectives, may increase its "playability" for gamers who decide to go back to it. I hope more people discover the N64 and pick up all of Rare's work in the future, as its all underrated!
Edited by TNT737373, Nov 10 2011, 03:41 PM.

NTSCN64fanatic
Member Avatar
Established Member
Agreed. It's really sad that they split from Nintendo and sucked since. Games might be ok etc but come on....this stuff was and is sublime! Hit after hit blast corps jet force crazy output
Perfect Dark still plays well it was worth the wait I forgave the shaky story was they were doing plot themselves and bond movies are generally cool and so didn't need narrative and cut scenes etc but main gripe with pd was the later levels just didn't enjoy them at all but still an epic game and a must have....might not be allowed but out of curiosity what is value would you say where you are in world of a mint sealed usa copy of it?
Daiei hawks system wanted...Advice on how to get a mint boxed one from Japan safely appreciated!

Nindif
Member Avatar
Good review. Disagree with the Area 52 'bland' comment. The amount of hours i've poured into that level is shocking! I find it a little saddening when you read current-day commentaries or reflections on the FPS genre and all the accolades that are heaped on games such as Halo. I always felt Halo borrowed a lot from PD. For me, PD was so truly groundbreaking in its level design, depth, multiplayer and customization.

I agree with TNT737373's comment that 'Goldeneye being more simplistic in controls and objectives, may increase its "playability" for gamers who decide to go back to it.' Goldeneye is definitely a better game to start with simply due to the frame rate which may ease players back into the 64bit era a little easier - and for the groundbreaking game that it was too!
How could youths better learn to live than by at once trying the experiment of living? - Henry David Thoreaux

MY COLLECTION: http://s242.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Z Trigger
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hey Guys,
i found this Perfect Dark Fan Movie

Its really nice ;)

Ninty64
Member Avatar
Z Trigger
Mar 16 2013, 02:56 AM
Hey Guys,
i found this Perfect Dark Fan Movie

Its really nice ;)
Really cleverly done. I love that it was filmed in an English office with all the UK saftey notices, fire reg signs etc!! That made me laugh. And yeh I love the sound when she breaks his neck at 2:43. lol :yeah:

« Previous Topic · Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply