Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 Console Variations; All 16 Worldwide Consoles
Topic Started: Feb 1 2012, 04:21 PM (17,204 Views)
lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Editor's Note: This spectacular resource was created by Lithium in 2012. In documenting JP/US/EU releases, this list does not include two other generally-recognized N64 console variants, the ANA (an All Nippon Airlines promotion; charcoal grey with an "ANA" logo expansion lid cover) and the Hyndai Comboy 64 (a charcoal grey console for release in Korea), nor does it list the Gradiente/Playtronic Nintendo 64 (released in Brazil without any console modification).

Here are all 16 Official Worldwide N64 Consoles known thus far:

Posted Image

I have attempted to rank them in increasing order of rarity:

1. Charcoal Black Original All
Posted Image

2. Jungle Green USA / EUR / AUS
Posted Image

3. Ice Blue USA / EUR / AUS
Posted Image

4. Fire Orange USA / EUR / AUS
Posted Image

5. Grape Purple / Midnight Blue All
Posted Image

6. Smoke Black / Clear Gray All
Posted Image

7. Watermelon Red USA / EUR
Posted Image

8. Pokemon Blue / Yellow USA / EUR
Posted Image

9. Clear Blue / White EUR / JAP
Posted Image

10. Clear Red / White (JAP) JAP
Posted Image

11. Gold NA / JAP
Posted Image

12. Pokemon Battle Set Blue / Yellow EUR / AU
Posted Image

13. Pikachu Blue / Yellow JAP
Posted Image

14. Pikachu Orange / Yellow JAP
Posted Image

15. Daiei Hawks Clear Bright Orange / Black JAP
Posted Image

16. Jusco 30th Anniversary Clear Black / White JAP
Posted Image
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
lithium017
Feb 1 2012, 04:21 PM
I have tried to make a picture list of the 16 different consoles and the respective regions for myself and others to use. It is a lot simplier as an image. Did I get anything wrong region wise? I know there has been speculation about the Smoke and Watermelon consoles being in Australia, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Posted Image
Im assuming you aren't counting box variants? Like the Banjo Kazooie one, or the Star Wars one?

Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Not sure about region availability, but this is one awesome photo and a great source of reference for any fan of the Nintendo 64, very cool Lithium.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Not totally sure about the smoke and watermelon being released in Australia. I know for sure that consoles turn up on the Australia eBay all the time. Weather or not these are from Europe or they are from Australia is unknown. My guess would be that they have been released in Australia, just because of the amount of these consoles that are for sale at any one time on eBay.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Nice pic! But wasnt the Pokemon Stadium set released in the other PAL territories like the UK? i seem to remember seeing such a set but im not sure
Posted Image

corE
Member Avatar
LOVE IT!!!

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
The Pokemon Battle Set was also released in the UK :yeah:
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
As stated previous by several folks... but here is proof. I'm not 100% certain but I think the "Battle Set" was strictly only in the UK. What does the part number say? Or any of the information on the back of the box? That can help us validate if that release is in AUS or UK.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anoter comment: The Atomic Purple bundle doesn't have any letters next to it. But just in case, the Atomic bundle had a sort of equivalent in AUS called the "Twin Controller Pack" (image below). But I understand this topic was strictly to identify the different consoles and that pack is just a regular console inside ^_^

Posted Image
Edited by ddr2nite, Feb 2 2012, 10:46 AM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

Ninty64
Member Avatar
Europe didn't get a gold console. Only a regular grey console with a gold controller.

Fantastic pic though Lithium. When I visit Canada (erm could be a long time yet) I am defiantely coming to visit your house! and inspect your collection :-)
Edited by Ninty64, Feb 2 2012, 10:59 AM.

Heinrold
Member Avatar
Yes, Europe didn't get the gold console, but wasn't there a bundle with a golden controller (at least in the UK or so)?

Found a picture here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-64-Limited-Edition-Gold-Controller-PAL-/220944495056?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item33715171d0
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I had a few corrections to make but it seems others have beat me to the punch there. Working down in columns from left to right:

Pokémon Stadium Battle Set
The variaton you have is indeed the UK one. Australia was the only other region to get this console, in that region it's known as the PokéManiac N64, the box has slightly different art work and is noticably longer

Standard Control Deck
Worldwide Release

Atomic Controller Bundle
If you wish to include this, Australia also got this bundle, though it was called Clear Purple over there

Pikachu Nintendo 64 Set
North America and Europe only. Australia never got this version released

Gold Control Deck
North American and Japan only. The best Europe and Australia saw was a gold controller bundle, with the standard system.

Funtastic: Jungle (Green)
North America, Europe, Australia

Funtastic: Ice (Blue)

Funtastic: Smoke (Black)
Worldwide. Australia did get a version of this, confusingly called 'charcoal'. See below for proof

Funtastic: Grape (Purple)
Worldwide

Funtastic: Watermelon (Red)
North America, Europe only

Funtastic: Fire (Orange)

The 5 Japanese Exclusives

Clear Blue
Japan and Europe only. The European version always comes bundled with a copy of Super Mario 64

The aforementioned Australian version of 'Smoke'

Posted Image

If you need me to provide any more pics just let me know. Console variations is something I have put a lot of research into and hope to one day have a collection as envious as yours :yeah:
Edited by danilochka, Feb 2 2012, 02:29 PM.
Posted Image

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
ddr2nite
Feb 2 2012, 10:39 AM
Posted Image
Huh, it seems there are two different versions of the Battle Set in UK. My UK set includes the video tape as well (as does lithium's)

Posted Image
Edited by finngamer, Feb 2 2012, 04:44 PM.
The Collection: List , Video

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
finngamer
Feb 2 2012, 04:43 PM
Huh, it seems there are two different versions of the Battle Set in UK. My UK set includes the video tape as well (as does lithium's)
Yeah, there are 2 variations of the UK Battle Set. I'm not sure which came first, the one with video or without, but the answer probably lies in the code on the box's inner tab, the 2nd version will likely end in ukv-1 (or similar).

I've also heard that the Battle Set was exclusive to the (now defunct) UK shop Woolworths. That could mean the video was an extra that only the Woolworth's version came bundled with, or Woolworths was the only place you could buy either version, or that this is just a rumour and can't be disproven until time travel is invented.
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
A few varations you may want to consider (which you may already know about):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Battle Set without video
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

lithium017
Member Avatar
Thanks everyone for the help! The picture is not intended to have all variations (there are over 60 of these worldwide) just the 16 different consoles and I left in the Atomic Purple controller set just because.

I will edit the picture and re-upload it soon.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
lithium017
Feb 3 2012, 11:17 AM
I will edit the picture and re-upload it soon.
Better do it soon... due to the recent events regarding a certain ex-member of our forums going through and messing with all of his topics/posts, the admins have changed our ability to edit topics. They've limited it to something like a 1 week period after the post - anything after that, you won't have the ability to edit.

I for one, disagree/dislike that implementation. But this is not the right place for me to voice that... just wanted to make sure you are aware.
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7304935/1/

" - MK II

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
I updated my website with a little grid of the console variations, did I do any mistakes? Scroll down to the end of 1.1

http://finngamer.webs.com/nintendo64.htm

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
As far as I can see it's spot on and great to see it in an easy to follow table.

The only ammendment I would say is that the Pokémon Battle Set was UK only rather than a full EUR release. I understand this would be awkward to convey in the table, so maybe just refer to it in the detailed information above.
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
finngamer
Feb 4 2012, 10:32 AM
I updated my website with a little grid of the console variations, did I do any mistakes? Scroll down to the end of 1.1

Finngamer, here are my notes and thoughts:

Consoles (1 mistake, 1 suggestion)
- Why did you have the first row "Charcoal Black" all by itself? It should be on the second line and read "Funtastic Smoke Black/Clear Black/Charcoal Black" all in one. How is the Charcoal Black console (weird AUS release) any different than the other ones?
- I dislike the "Pokémon" row... however I'm not sure what exactly to call it but to a new collector, that naming seems confusing. Maybe add the words "Battle Set/Pokémaniacs" to the end of it or in parenthesis?

Controllers (no mistakes, 1 suggestion)
- I like the way you have the double XX for Gold in the Jap column... not too many people would understand that the first time across :yeah:
- How about switching from an "X" to something new like "!" for the Millennium 2000 and E3 controllers? Then add in the notes: ! = Acquired through giveaway/competition only (the reason is because you technically couldn't "purchase" either of those 2, but anyone was able to buy the NP100 or DK64 like the rest of the retail controllers - even if it was for a limited time through Nintendo Power only)
Edited by ddr2nite, Feb 5 2012, 12:53 PM.

" - MK II

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
ddr2nite
Feb 5 2012, 12:46 PM
finngamer
Feb 4 2012, 10:32 AM

Finngamer, here are my notes and thoughts:

Consoles (1 mistake, 1 suggestion)
- Why did you have the first row "Charcoal Black" all by itself? It should be on the second line and read "Funtastic Smoke Black/Clear Black/Charcoal Black" all in one. How is the Charcoal Black console (weird AUS release) any different than the other ones?
- I dislike the "Pokémon" row... however I'm not sure what exactly to call it but to a new collector, that naming seems confusing. Maybe add the words "Battle Set/Pokémaniacs" to the end of it or in parenthesis?

Controllers (no mistakes, 1 suggestion)
- I like the way you have the double XX for Gold in the Jap column... not too many people would understand that the first time across :yeah:
- How about switching from an "X" to something new like "!" for the Millennium 2000 and E3 controllers? Then add in the notes: ! = Acquired through giveaway/competition only (the reason is because you technically couldn't "purchase" either of those 2, but anyone was able to buy the NP100 or DK64 like the rest of the retail controllers - even if it was for a limited time through Nintendo Power only)
Charcoal Black is the name of the color of the regular console, I wasn't talking about the AUS Funtastic color. :)

I know not every line is obvious just by looking at the chart, but the longer explanations and pictures are just on top of it, so I didn't want to mess up the chart too much. People can check more info on the page if they want.

Thanks for the !-suggestion, I implemented it slightly modified. ;)

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
finngamer
Feb 5 2012, 04:34 PM
Charcoal Black is the name of the color of the regular console, I wasn't talking about the AUS Funtastic color. :)
Ahh, good point - my mistake. Maybe just call it "regular" or "standard black" to clarify? I don't really think Nintendo ever technically coined the normal console as "charcoal" in color.

" - MK II

lithium017
Member Avatar
Wow finngamer I really like how neat those check boxes look on your site. Well done.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this. I edited the photo and deleted the old one. I think it is good now.

Edited by lithium017, Aug 15 2012, 07:13 AM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Damn those things look nice. I am really starting to love the red and orange console variations. Might have to set some future goals with those.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Mar 2 2012, 12:55 AM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
I have just edited and updated my first post to include the rarity and images with the box (CIB) for each of the consoles. Hope this is helpful! :yeah: :n64:
Edited by lithium017, Aug 15 2012, 10:48 AM.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Awesome pics Lithium... good stuff. Although I would highly consider watermarking your photos unless you don't mind other people "borrowing" them to use in EBay auctions or other locations? I'm going to be watermarking my better and more official images so they aren't "borrowed" by others...

" - MK II

lithium017
Member Avatar
Agreed. I have already started to do just that but its a slow process.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I reviewing the question raised by a member here about the number of console variants, I came across information suggesting that there was a second release of the Fire Orange and Midnight Blue/Purple consoles that had "some parts in white on the bottom but no[t] the full bottom layer" (as the Clear Blue and Clear Red consoles have). There may be something lost in translation, so I'm thinking the description was of changes to the the BOX and not the CONSOLE . . . does anyone have any information regarding this?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I think they are alluding to some funtastics consoles having white / grey 'feet'
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Interesting, I've since scoured the web for comparison pictures, but none to be (easily) found.

I do seem to recall folks saying that some gold consoles were actually jungle green shells painted by Nintendo, so there is possible a pattern here of using leftover parts for later-released N64 consoles.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Well the N64 made different boxed each X years to promote the games on the back of the console. so it makes sense that there are actually multiple box variations of the funtastics.

Also about the funtastics, here there are all in the store. so this high likely means there are all released at the same time.
Posted Image

I Also believe (and I want to convince the collectors that) there are not 16 variations anymore, but 18, counting the ANA and the Comboy those 2 actually looks different. so they count as variations
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: