Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 collection discussion; Discuss and show your new games, collection and wishlist!
Topic Started: Apr 5 2006, 01:09 PM (102,423 Views)
Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
I recently got World Driver Championship as I didn't yet have a racing game (or one that seemed really substantial). Man is that game hard!
The graphics are great, but the controls take some MAJOR getting used to.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Actually, IMO, Joanna looks considerably better, more feminine.
The original version looked a bit too butch for my tastes.

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Yesterday I got Shadowgate 64 and Dark Rift.
Man, I forgot how slick Dark Rift was. Having played other supposed 3D fighting games like MK4, I actually think DR has one of the better uses of pivoting/strafing via like L, R, or Z. The game actually almost makes the player use it. Conversely, I hardly ever pivoted in MK4, which made it seem more 2D.
Shadowgate 64 has a great opening and a lot a detail throughout. It's a real challenge on your noggin.

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Alxbly,
Note: If you already own Mace and enjoy it a lot, you may not want to invest in Dark Rift.
First, it was released earlier. Second, the backgrounds are 2D even though you can move around in 3D (non-interactive). Third, many people prefer Mace over Dark Rift.

I chose DR over Mace because it was developed specifically (like a good early tech demo) for the N64 and was a lot of mindless fun when I was younger. I'm also tired of blood and guts/medieval/mythological-based fighting games (not that they're all bad). And lastly, I always remembered the music as being catchy and clear, which I think it still is.

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Alxbly, it looks like you found some very quality games there. I'm amazed at the demo cart. Where'd you find that?
And are you a racing game fan or it is just coincidence you got those two (TGR 2, Roadsters) and rave about World Driver Championship (which I'm in complete agreement with)?

PS. I believe Roadsters in fact makes use of the Expansion Pak for a hidden hi-rez mode (activated by a cheat when you name your player).

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Alxbly, here are some Roadsters codes you might like:

Various Codes
Enter any of these passwords as the driver's name on the driver select screen to activate the trick. Remember that it is case sensitive and the cheats will remain until you enter ''CheatsOff'' as the driver's name.

Bird's Eye View: Chopper
Resolution change: Extra rez

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/code/198496.html

And don't you just love the lollipop shine of all the cars. I could just lick 'em up!

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Good find on Kirby 64 Mop. I had the game last spring until I gave it to a neighbor, and I got a real thrill out of it. Granted it borders on the saccharine-sweetness of Yoshi's Story but at least it doesn't sing at you.
Please stop the MIDI singing!!! I can't take much more!!! :w00t:

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Excellent find alxbly. You seem to find the best N64 games.
That particular one seems to be one of the best shooters (in a sense) for the system.

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
About Superman, I was really eager for its release years ago. The pics of a big city (Metropolois) to explore were exciting to me, and even the fog in the pics didn't bother me. I tried to rent it a number a times and had to wait about a month before it was available. I have to say, I was disappointed but mostly because I couldn't enter any of the buildings in the explore mode, and I couldn't save my game without a controller pak (which I didn't then have).

...But I like the game despite the fog and glitches. Visually, to paraphrase ign.com, well, it's not blurry. The sound, while repetitive, is good. The controls are spastic but bearable. But I enjoy the indoor levels and like flying around a somewhat big city. I also like the art-decco style and the cutscenes weren't half-bad.
Superman is no E.T., and I've played both games on their respective systems before being exposed to scathing reviews.

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
About Indiana Jones, advanced N64 game or not, I've had it since it came out, and it certainly met my expectations (Like with Conker, I doubted if the game would actually look as crisp as the screens). The controls are in fact clunky and the animation is "stick up the butt" stiff, but I feel the game looks rich, crisp and detailed. While it's by no means rounded-out (vs. boxy), the textures and draw distance are probably the best of any N64 game. The midi score, while midi (Factor 5 midi, ugh), is dynamic and clear.

The biggest issue, which might take classic N64 status away from this game, is bugs (crashes, glitches, etc.). Nothing stinks like being in a level and getting stuck in a wall or the game just freezing-up.

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply