Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 collection discussion; Discuss and show your new games, collection and wishlist!
Topic Started: Apr 5 2006, 01:09 PM (107,561 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Nice collection, Stoop. You should try giving Forsaken another chance, it's actually quite a decent FPS once you get used to the controls. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Yeah, very nice Traser. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Here's what I'd do.

Don't sell off your existing unboxed games. It's likely that at least some of them will contain gamesaves which have hours of play on them; if these carts are in good conditions you can keep them and sell any duplicates instead which means that you don't lose your saves. On occasions you might buy a game from Ebay that is marked in some way and your own copy is superior (as is the way with eBay, nothing is 100% certain until you seee it for yourself); if you've sold that game already then you might actually be taking a backwards step with your collecting and end up spending more time and money trying to find what you had already owned and sold.

It helps to have a clear idea of what you want, so if you haven't already done so make a list of all the games you want and all the games you already have, whether they have a box or manual or not. Think about what's important to you... the remaining dross can be found cheaply perhaps at a later date.

I would be searching for boxes and manuals being auctioned. It can be difficult to find exactly what you're after but you never know how lucky you might be. Search eBay as often as you can and note what games are uncommon or have a high price. Get to know the prices being paid for the games you want; that way if you see a bargain you can snap it up without worrying if you're paying too much. The N64 doesn't really have any commercially released rarities but some games are more common than others... the ones which caused me the most pain were the US rental-only releases; finding them boxed will probably take a while and a little luck.

Don't just search ebay though; check out other online auctions, local pawn shops, charity shops, flea markets, garage sales... anywhere you might find a bargain. If you keep looking you find some good deals (I always get a smile when I remember getting Majoras Mask boxed and complete for only 1!!!!).

Prices for N64 stuff doesn't seem to fluctuate too much, so don't worry about prices going up. The most likely scenario is that the opposite happens; games released on the Wii virtual console seem to actually come down in price (Sin and Punishment is a good example; it's value has dropped since the VC release). Likewise, boxes and manuals aren't going to be significantly harder to find in the next few years. If you wait another five or ten years then you'd maybe notice a difference... but the reality is that you'll probably have all the N64 games you're after within a few years, if you're happy to pay the going rate for them.

Lastly, deal in duplicates. Don't worry about having two or three copies of game; you can always sell your duplicates in bulk later, and having duplicates is handy if you need box inserts for some games.

Hope that helps. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
^ That is a nice collection. I recognise the name too, he posts on 64DD.net.

Did everyone spy the Majora's Mask Limited Edition Adventure Set (go to 2:36 in the video)? I've been looking for one of them for about a year now... not a single one has appeared on eBay. >_< :(

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
床の猫
Feb 8 2009, 03:30 AM
Did you also happen to catch the controllers tastefully displayed in the N64 store demo station "console bubble"?? ;)
Those lovely Nintendo Power editions? Ah yes, a man of taste. ^_^ All those new controllers as well...

What I'm most envious of is having the space to display everything. Most of my stuff is sitting high up and out of sight. I'd like to be able to show it off without people having to climb ladders to see it. >_< ^_^

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
床の猫
Feb 8 2009, 04:17 AM
Happy that I don't have to have the responsibility. ;)
I know what you mean. I'd be going through mental torture with a collection that size. My instanct would be to keep but my sanity would be telling me to sell, sell, sell.

As is the case for my current collection. >_<

EDIT:
床の猫
Feb 8 2009, 04:17 AM
And alxbly, at least all you need is a ladder... whereas I would pretty much need a forklift and a crowbar.

Can I ask...? I've got a feeling that it might be better not to...
Edited by alxbly, Feb 8 2009, 04:25 AM.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Feb 8 2009, 04:32 AM
Set them free to make somebody happy...
That gave me mental images of little N64 carts being released into Marioland-styled meadows where they are free to play and bounce around. Maybe I shouldn't be sharing that... >_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Some N64 games I'm thinking about buying:

Extreme G 2
Command and Conquer
South Park
South Park Rally
Taz Express
Monster Truck Madness
Aero Gauge
Destruction Derby 64

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I'd go for a complete collection.... eventually. If I wasn't buying games for other systems.

Bottom line; with carts it's nice to have the box but not essential. With discs if you don't have the box then there's a really big chance the disc will be scratched to f*** and probably unplayable.

Condition matters to me much more for disc games than carts. But that's just me. :blink:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Well, you've gotta start somewhere. Most N64 games ca be found relatively cheaply, just check eBay for the ones you want. Mop compiled a list of all the US releases which you can find here:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7041205/1/#new

So what's first on your "must-buy" list? :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Cool. Be careful of the new third party controllers on eBay, most of them are crap. I'll scan to see if I can find some new official controllers if that helps? You can usually get them from Japanese sellers. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Truth. My e-penis grew considerably after sharing my games collection online. ^_^

Which reminds me... I need to update the photos of my collection, setup, etc. Got a few more boxed N64 games since I last snapped them all. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Star Wars Episode I Racer is pretty decent. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I'd love to display my N64 boxes but they're just so easily damaged. :(

When I had my first N64 I used to have all the games in their boxes, lined up on a shelf and looking good. But even with the best care in the world, frequently used game boxes (such as Goldeneye's) started to fray a little at the edges. ;_;

Of course, then I went and sold all my N64 games so I guess I shouldn't be whining about trivial details. ^_^

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
D.J Cat
Mar 3 2009, 03:45 PM
Awesome quality over quantity collection there!
Agreed. You need to get Shadow Man though, it's amazing.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Robond
Mar 9 2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the recommendation but Shadow Man is too expensive here on Brazil. :(
Really? That's a shame. How come it's so expensive? Was it a limited release there?

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Got a few N64 games; Extreme G 2 and Taz Express. XG2 seems good, not played Taz Express yet.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
A couple of N64 items arrived today:

Posted Image

First, the N64/Playstation to USB converter. I've not tried it yet so I can't say much. The device is pretty big, though; as you can see from the photo, the box which you plug the N64 or Playstation controller into is about the same size as a N64 cart. It looks quite basic and the Playstation and N64 connectors have some rough edges, and look pretty cheap. :-/ The USB converter comes with an instruction sheet explaining why it might not work and possible solutions. Being honest with you, it seems like a lot of hassle to use but I'll give it a go and report back.

Carmaggedon 64 is possibly the worst N64 game but this boxed copy was selling so cheap that I decided to just get it. It's complete and is in very good condition. Now I can re-live the cheap thrills of running over badly modelled blue zombies in a car that doesn't like turning corners. Hurray?

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Here's a new photo of my N64 games. It's almost two years since I photograph them all together and I didn't think I had bought many games since the last time. But there were more new games than I realised:

Posted Image

Click the image above if you want to see a larger, higher resolution version.

The games in the photo are...

64 Oozumou (Japanese import)
1080 Snowboarding
Aerofighters Assault
Animal Forest (Japanese import)
Armorines Project SWARM
Automobili Lamborghini
Bangaioh (Japanese import)
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Beetle Adventure Racing
Blast Corps

Body Harvest
Bomberman 64 (Japanese import, 2D version)
Carmageddon 64
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Clayfighter Sculptors Cut (US import)
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Custom Robo V2 (Japanese import)
Dezaemon 3D
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Kong 64 (US import, yellow cart)

Doom 64
Duke Nukem 64
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Excitebike 64
Extreme G
Extreme G 2
F1 World Grand Prix
F1 World Grand Prix II
F-Zero X
Fighters Destiny
Forsaken 64

Goldeneye 007
GT64 Chamionship Edition
Harvest Moon 64 (US import)
Hexen
Holy Magic Century (Quest 64)
Hybrid Heaven
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (US import)
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition (Australian import)
Lylat Wars (Starfox 64)
Mace The Dark Age
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario No Photopi (Japanese import)
Mario Tennis
Mickey's Speedway USA (US import)
Mischief Makers
Morita Shogi 64 (Japanese import)

Mortal Kombat 4
Multi Racing Championship
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Ogre Battle 64 (US cart)
Operation Winback
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark (Japanese import)
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium

Quake
Quake II
Rakuga Kids
Rayman 2
Ridge Racer 64
Road Rash 64
Roadsters
Rocket: Robot On Wheels
Rush 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
Shadow Man

SimCity 2000 (Japanese import)
Sin and Punishment (Japanese import)
Snowboard Kids
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Wars Episode 1 Battle For Naboo
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire
Stunt Racer 64 (US import)
Super Mario 64
Super Mario 64 Shindou (Japanese rumble pak compatible import)

Datel Action Replay Professional cheat cartridge
Super Robot Spirits (Japanese import)
Super Smash Bros
Superman 64
Taz Express
Tetrisphere
Tom Clancys Rainbow Six
Top Gear Overdrive
Top Gear Rally
Top Gear Rally 2
Datel Equalizer cheat cartridge

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Store demo cartridge)
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Turok: Rage Wars
Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8 2nd Offense
Wave Race 64
Wave Race 64 Shindou (Japanese rumble pak compatible import)

Blaze Explorer 64 cheat cartridge
Wipeout 64
World Driver Championship
Wonder Project J2 (Japanese import)
The World Is Not Enough 007
Worms Armageddon
Yoshi's Story
Datel Gamebooster N64 Game Boy adapter

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Photographing my N64 games today got me thinking...

I've been saying for a couple of years that my N64 collection is pretty much complete. However, I'm still buying games and there's still games that I'd like to try. I've even started rebuying games which I'd previously sold. :eh: All this makes me wonder if my N64 collection will ever really be complete. :mellow:

And my curiosity about different variations between regions makes this an even scarier thought. If I draw this to it's logical conclusion, it would mean that:

1) If I had enough money and room to store them...

2) I'd like a complete N64 collection which would include all UK, US and Japanese released games.

3) But more than that, I'd like to own the UK, US and Japanese versions of most games.

4) And in some instances, I'd also like to own other variations (for example, I'd like to see the German versions of Turok and Carmageddon because they were changed to pass Germany's stricter censorship laws).

By my calculations that's about 500-600 N64 games... but only IF I didn't buy regional variations of all the dross. :omg: So, potentially, my N64 collection is very far from complete. Lucky I'm not too serious about any of this because if I was... I'd need a bigger house. >_< ^_^ :lol:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Apr 28 2009, 03:49 PM
alxbly
Apr 26 2009, 09:16 AM
By my calculations that's about 500-600 N64 games... but only IF I didn't buy regional variations of all the dross.
I thought that Floorcat determined there were 396 unique releases worldwide, so wouldn't that 500-600 estimation include regional variations?
That does include regional variations of some games, the only games I wouldn't be interested in buying regional variations of a sports games... even then there's exceptions (Mario series, regional variations if name/artwork/gameplay is different).

Mop

Anyways, I'm kind of surprised to hear you talk like this. I know you're interested in all things Nintendo 64, but I didn't think you would even consider buying every version of every game. If you just want to know what the differences are, couldn't you find that out on the Internet?
Not really, N64 info isn't always readily available. Part of the reasoning behind it is for collection purposes too, and I'm a sucker for that.

Mop

That would be quite an endeavor to undertake, especially if you wanted to continue buying games for other systems. Did you post this here so we'd talk you out of it?
Nah, it's still not something that I'm taking too seriously. Even if I was it would take years and I still can't bring myself to buy the s***ty sports games that I know I'll never play.

But it is something that I've been giving more consideration to recently and I've found myself looking at job lots on eBay. I guess I just realised that my N64 collecting days are far from over because I'm still interested in the system, it's games, it's history, etc, etc.

Mop

How many more games would you need to buy to own every UK release?

I don't know how many more I'd need to buy but I do know that I'm nowhere near having a complete collection of UK releases. To be honest, there are quite a few Japanese and US games I'd like to get first. I don't even how many N64 games I have just now (except that it's about 100) or how many of them are UK releases. I'll count them later and let you know. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
niniendowarrior
Apr 28 2009, 07:52 PM
I find that you have already quite a proud collection alxbly. I would think that at some point, you have to find satisfaction in what you have already achieved. It's a mighty fine collection and you have plenty of rare stuff that some do not own.
I'm already proud of what I have, but there's still plenty of other N64 I'm curious about. I'm not quite finished with the N64 yet! :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Today I got Tom and Jerry: Fists of Fury and Prima's Donkey Kong 64 guide.

Posted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
That's fair enough, everyone goes through a spell of selling their games. I've ended up buying games I've sold before... but that's just because I'm a dumbass. ^_^

PS: Good to see you around again, Applepieman. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 22 2009, 08:41 PM
Quote:

I have an N64/PS USB converter that looks almost like that. It's branded as 'Boom'. Compatibility is real dodgy and seems to work on earlier N64 controllers better than latter.
I have that same N64 USB adapter that alxbly has and I don't think it has compatibility problems. I've used it with a "Fire" orange controller and it worked just fine.
Seems like you've been lucky, Mop. I got this note with mine when I bought it:

Posted Image

Basically... expect it to not work. That's what i wanted to hear! >_< ^_^

I've still not tried it, I'll report back when I do.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 23 2009, 07:00 PM
I'd try it out with a few controllers if I weren't so lazy and apathetic. Hey, at least I'm honest. -_-
^_^ I've not tried mine for similar reasons, so I can't fault you! :lol:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
A new photo of my boxed n64 games.

Posted Image

I've decided to start looking for complete copies of N64 games, eventually I'd like my entire collection to be boxed with manuals.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Chaos66
Jul 19 2009, 03:14 PM
Just got zelda for $12.50.
Nice find, man. Those gold carts looks real nice. :)

I just got the Bajo Kazooie guide a few days ago.

Posted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Robond
Aug 4 2009, 11:28 AM
Just bought complete with box and manual:
Posted Image
Nice purchase! Shadow Man is excellent. :)

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Aug 16 2009, 01:49 AM
Franklint
Aug 10 2009, 04:55 AM
alxbly
Jun 28 2009, 09:33 AM

I've decided to start looking for complete copies of N64 games, eventually I'd like my entire collection to be boxed with manuals.
Haha, a similar decision I came to myself not too long ago!
You're both morons. Collecting useless crap you don't need...
Irony overload. ^_^

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: