Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 collection discussion; Discuss and show your new games, collection and wishlist!
Topic Started: Apr 5 2006, 01:09 PM (102,554 Views)
danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I guess this BIN has got by you un-noticed then Jon, the box isn't in the best of conditions but with that price sticker in GBP it's worth a punt on being a UKV version ;)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Congratulations on completing your full set Alice, it looks awesome seeing everything together in one image! :w00t:
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I recently just bought a small bundle of games because it contained the very hard to find War Gods. I already knew it wasn't in the best of conditions but I was disappointed to discover that despite having an EUR box and manual the cart was the FRA version. Anyhow it's another game added to my collection with only 89 CIBs games to go now.

Posted Image

As a side note, one of the other games in that bundle is the most discusting cart I've ever laid eyes on, and the pic doesn't show just how bad it is, the ridges are full of whatever crap this is next to pins. :-X

Posted Image

Even more bizarre is that the cart came in an almost pristine box with an equally good manual, so the game must have got mixed up somewhere along the line, like the War Gods cart.

Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
italia64
Feb 24 2013, 10:31 PM
5) Do you agree with this my "15 rarest PAL games" list?
Starcraft 64
Snowboard Kids 2
Rush 2049
Shadowgate 64 (UKV)
Chameleon Twist 2
Tarzan (UKV)
Flying Dragon
Blues Brothers 2000
Top Gear Hyper Bike (UKV)
Hercules
HSV Adventure Racing
Airboarder
Tom & Jerry
Rampage 2
Rat Attack
We've discussed PAL rarity a few times before, most recently in this thread. The conclusion is that everyone's "rarest Top 10" (or 15) will change depending on what country they are from.

If you take AirBoarder 64 for example, it's definitely a rare game in Europe, you will struggle to obtain a copy in the UK and you're more likely to come across it in countries like France and Germany. However, Australia got their own version of the game (AUS) and to them the game isn't considered too rare at all.

I do agree with your list in gerenal, they are all very hard games to track down CIB, however I'm unaware of a UKV variant for Top Gear Hyper Bike, only EUR and EUU. Are you sure it exists?

You mentioned that you couldn't find a database on variations, there's a great one on NES World which notes all the different cartridge codes.

Also you said in the other thread that finngamer's game list has some mistakes, I've checked it against the list I made and the only differences are that he has seperate listings for HSV Adventure Racing! and the 2 Japanese Shindou games. What games do you think are wrong?
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
As Mk II said there are a lot of box variations throughout the PAL regions, however I presume you're only interested in the games with noticeably different front covers.

The most sort after of these variants is HSV Adventure Racing! which is the Australian release of Beetle Adventure Racing!. Also in Australia all of the 1st Party releases were based on the North American artwork and feature a red panel on the front which is very different to the black border design seen on the European releases.

Other artwork changes you haven't mentioned include Virtual Chess 64. The EUR release is very cartoony whereas the EUU version has a more sophisticated look:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Monaco Grand Prix has 3 different boxes (and titles) throughout Europe; Racing Simulation 2 (in Germany), Racing Simulation: Monaco Grand Prix (n the UK) and Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2 (everywhere else in Europe):
Posted Image

Finally the French release of Fighters Destiny uses the North American artwork, different to the rest of Europe:
Posted Image

Then there are the PAL games which have different titles in different countries, the most notable ones being, Knockout Kings 2000 which is called Box Champions 2000 in Germany, and Top Gear Rally 2 which is simply called TG Rally 2 in the UK:
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for Fifa 99, yes there is a unique SCN box, however the front cover is the same as the UKV release with Dennis Bergkamp, it's only the languages on the back that are different.
Edited by danilochka, Feb 27 2013, 01:48 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I'm always on the lookout for artwork variations so I will let you know if I do come across anything else in the future.

The only other thing of note is that there are two versions of Rugrats In Paris: The Movie (The Game), the boxes don't seemingly change in design but the cartridge labels do. The 1st pressings (EUR) has a unique design, whereas the later pressings (EUR-1) copy the artwork from the box and manual:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by danilochka, Feb 27 2013, 04:11 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Yeah I have seen a couple of sealed t-shirts being sold with the French/Dutch variant of Forsaken over the years.

My best guess is that it was a limited edition, probably exclusive to one particular French game shop/chain. Either that or it was pre-order bonus. So far I've only ever seen these for sale on eBay.fr so I'm unsure if the t-shirt came bundled in the Netherlands too.

Acclaim also released a few other limited edition bundles in Europe. There's a German verison of Extreme-G that came with an audio cd (see below). Similarly there were two limited editions for Turok 2 in the UK that each came with a different audio cd.

Posted Image

It seems Acclaim liked to include extras with their games, I guess it helped sales, I know some of their NTSC games also had extras and I'm sure there's more stuff that's as yet undiscovered to the collecting community.

Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
@Cabanon
There's an old thread on Nintendo Age where they talk about getting some awesome Shadow Man sunglasses if you bought the game on launch day at BestBuy. However they were never bundled in a unique box like the other games you mentioned above so I guess there are in a slightly different category of game related extras.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=39242

Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Sounds interesting mate, can you post some pics of it?
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Wow that's awesome, I have never seen anything like that before!

I've occasionally come across games that have both a french and german manual bundled together, it would seem these variants were marketed to Central European countries such as Austria and until now the only thing unique about them was an indentifying sticker - like that green one.

This one appears to be a Swiss variant (not Swedish), after googling Gian Simmen I discovered he won the snowboarding gold medal for Switzerland in the 1998 olympics.1080° Snowboarding got it's European release in October 1998 so it makes for good timing to cash in on his endorsement.

All in all it's a great find! It makes you wonder how many more special editions are yet to be discovered. Could you quote the code above the barcode on the outer sleeve, I can't quite make it out the ending, it should help work out which countries this version was available to.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
That's a fantastic collection you've got there Lyyt, hopefully I can help your goal by sharing what information I know. As you have mentioned there is currently only a list for all of the PAL regions combined, a total of 242 games. Three of these games were exclusive to Australia meaning there's a total of 239 games available to Europe, but which countries got which games?

For the last few years I've been trying to compile bespoke lists for what I consider to be the 8 key PAL regions: The UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, Scandinavia and Australia - noting any variations I can find with some lists being more complete than others. Unfortunately Scandinavia is one of the hardest regions to make a list for, as its impossible to tell if a game is an original Swedish purchase or has been bought from say the UK, when there is no discernible differences between the two.

With that said, here's everything I've been able to find out so far. Firstly I'm aware of 32 games that have SCN coded boxes/cartridges, so obviously these should be top of your list:
  • Automobili Lamborghini
  • Beetle Adventure Racing!
  • Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
  • Body Harvest
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Duke Nukem 64
  • FIFA 99
  • Fighters Destiny
  • Forsaken
  • International Superstar Soccer 2000
  • Lego Racers
  • Mace: The Dark Age
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
  • Multi-Racing Championship
  • NBA Live 99
  • NHL 99
  • NHL Breakaway 98
  • NHL Breakaway 99
  • Olympic Hockey Nagano '98
  • Quake
  • Rampage World Tour
  • Robotron 64
  • San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
  • Shadow Man
  • Starshot: Space Circus Fever
  • Top Gear Rally
  • Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil
  • V-Rally Edition 99
  • Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98
  • Wetrix
  • World Cup 98

Then we have a handful of games that were imported directly from Europe with a quick translation white booklet added for the Scandinavian market, like with Paperboy in the picture below:

Posted Image

There are probably a lot more of these booklets that I've yet to discover, but so far I'm aware of them coming with 12 games:
  • Dual Heroes
  • Earthworm Jim 3D
  • Gauntlet Legends
  • Gex 64: Enter The Gecko
  • Paperboy
  • Re-Volt
  • Tonic Trouble
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
  • WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
  • Wipeout 64
  • WWF Attitude

Next up are 50 games that were distributed by Nintendo in the UK. Although the boxes/cartridges are the same as over here, there's often a unique manual for the Scandinavian market. DK64 is the only exception to this and is in the first grouping of SCN games. Basically if your manual contains Swedish language instructions you have the right variant:
  • 1080° Snowboarding
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Bomberman 64
  • Bomberman Hero
  • Command & Conquer
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Cruis'n World
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Excitebike 64
  • F-1 World Grand Prix
  • F-1 World Grand Prix II
  • F-Zero X
  • Glover
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Kobe Bryant In NBA Courtside
  • Lylat Wars
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Party 2
  • Mario Party 3
  • Mario Tennis
  • Mickey's Speedway USA
  • Mischief Makers
  • Paper Mario
  • Perfect Dark
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Pokémon Puzzle League
  • Pokémon Snap
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Ridge Racer 64
  • Snowboard Kids
  • Star Wars Episode I: Racer
  • Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Tetrisphere
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The New Tetris
  • Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
  • Wave Race 64
  • Yoshi's Story

Using the same logic as above, 17 of the remaining games contain Swedish sections in their manuals. Although this is exactly how they were sold in the UK I think it's safe to presume they got official releases in Sweden too:
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
  • CyberTiger
  • Dark Rift
  • G.A.S.P!! Fighters' NEXTream
  • Hybrid Heaven
  • International Superstar Soccer 64
  • International Superstar Soccer 98
  • International Track & Field: Summer Games
  • Knockout Kings 2000
  • Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon
  • Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon 2
  • Nagano Winter Olympics '98
  • NASCAR 99
  • NHL Pro 99
  • Rakugakids
  • Top Gear Overdrive

That leaves 128 games unaccounted for, and while I see no reason why Sweden wouldn't have got all of them, there's nothing to help confirm their release until I discover something that makes a variant specific to that region:
  • 007: The World Is Not Enough
  • A Bug's Life
  • Aero Gauge
  • AeroFighters Assault
  • Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
  • AirBoarder 64
  • All Star Tennis '99
  • All-Star Baseball 99
  • All-Star Baseball 2000
  • Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
  • Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
  • Bass Hunter 64
  • Batman of the Future: Return of the Joker
  • BattleTanx: Global Assault
  • Blues Brothers 2000
  • Buck Bumble
  • Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition
  • Bust-A-Move 3 DX
  • Carmageddon 64
  • Centre Court Tennis
  • Chameleon Twist
  • Chameleon Twist 2
  • Charlie Blast's Territory
  • Chopper Attack
  • Clay Fighter 63⅓
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Daffy Duck Starring As Duck Dodgers
  • Destruction Derby 64
  • Disney's Tarzan
  • Donald Duck: Quack Attack
  • Doom 64
  • Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
  • ECW Hardcore Revolution
  • Extreme-G
  • Extreme-G 2
  • F1 Pole Position 64
  • F1 Racing Championship
  • FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
  • FIFA 64
  • Fighting Force 64
  • Flying Dragon
  • Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
  • GT 64: Championship Edition
  • Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
  • Hexen
  • Holy Magic Century
  • Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Iggy's Reckin' Balls
  • Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
  • John Romero's Daikatana
  • Knife Edge
  • Lode Runner 3-D
  • Madden Football 64
  • Madden NFL 99
  • Magical Tetris Challenge
  • Michael Owen's World League Soccer 2000
  • Micro Machines 64 Turbo
  • Milo's Astro Lanes
  • Monster Truck Madness 64
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • NBA Hang Time
  • NBA In The Zone 2000
  • NBA Jam 99
  • NBA Jam 2000
  • NBA Live 2000
  • NBA Pro 98
  • NBA Pro 99
  • NFL Quarterback Club 98
  • NFL Quarterback Club 99
  • NFL Quarterback Club 2000
  • Nuclear Strike 64
  • Off Road Challenge
  • Operation WinBack
  • Penny Racers
  • PGA European Tour Golf
  • Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
  • Premier Manager 64
  • Quake II
  • Racing Simulation: Monaco Grand Prix
  • Rampage 2: Universal Tour
  • Rat Attack
  • Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Road Rash 64
  • Roadsters
  • Rocket: Robot on Wheels
  • Rugrats: Treasure Hunt
  • Rugrats in Paris: The Movie
  • Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
  • S.C.A.R.S.
  • San Francisco Rush 2049
  • Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers
  • Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers
  • South Park
  • South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
  • South Park Rally
  • Spacestation Silicon Valley
  • Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
  • Supercross 2000
  • Superman
  • Taz Express
  • Tigger's Honey Hunt
  • Tom and Jerry in Fists of Furry
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Tony Hawk's Skateboarding
  • Top Gear Hyper Bike
  • Top Gear Overdrive
  • Top Gear Rally 2
  • Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!
  • Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
  • Turok: Rage Wars
  • Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
  • Twisted Edge Snowboarding
  • Vigilante 8
  • Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
  • Virtual Chess 64
  • Virtual Pool 64
  • War Gods
  • WCW Mayhem
  • WCW/nWo Revenge
  • World Driver Championship
  • Worms Armageddon
  • WWF No Mercy
  • WWF War Zone
  • WWF WrestleMania 2000
  • Xena: Warrior Princess

I see that you have a lot of the last group already, understandably as it makes up more than half of the total PAL games, my advice for those unclarified games is to just go for the UK releases as that would be the most likely version to have been imported to Sweden.

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to complete these lists and if you have any information that I'm missing please let me know. Until then keep up the awesome collection :yeah:
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Wow that's amazing... a rare photo of Italia with a shirt on! :lol:

Seriously tho, congratulations mate! You'll have to get them to do an undate when you finish the collection :yeah:
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
That's a really nice box, I've certainly never came across anything like it before so it's hard to say if it's genuine or not.

As far as I know the MM Adventure Set was only ever given out as competition prizes across Europe. Perhaps this was just something one Spanish magazine decided to send their prize out in to make it even more desirable.

That said I'm always a bit suspicious when people try to sell rare items for their "friends". You could ask them how they got, see if they say where they won it.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
It truely is an excellent collection, as a fellow UK collector it's really something to aspire to.

I do however wonder what he conisders to be "the 3 UK only exclusive releases" on his EUR PAL page. I will double check, but off the top of my head I can't think of any games which would fit this category.

Also it would be nice if made a page/blog about when he started his collection, how he gets his games (i presume ebay) and how much they cost. There's probably quite a few listings he might have outbid me on.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
and I'm still waiting to find photos of a boxed Gold HoriPad Mini 64, so I can find out its code and finish updating this blasted list haha
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I'm have my suspicions that the Majora's Mask solid red tearstrip is from Spain, although the only way to know for sure would be to open one up and that's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's definitely genuine however and not a store re-seal.

The standard Nintendo branded seals you see on PAL games are from the UK originally, and it's only for the games that Nintendo's UK distributor (THE Games) put out. If you include the 10 player's choice re-releases there's 79 of these in total. Pokémon Puzzle League only ever comes in the solid red tearstrip seal, not really sure why that is. As well as that both Lylat Wars and Pokémon Stadium were sealed with small circular nintendo stickers over the flaps.

Elsewhere France got plastic blister seals, these weren't limited to just 1st party games. Australian games (like the Japanese games) were never actually sealed.

There's more info about it in this old thread.
Edited by danilochka, Jul 9 2016, 09:40 AM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Yeah I own a copy of this and the box codes are the same. Although the wording implies it should be bundled with something I've always just assumed this was a UK display box.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply