Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 collection discussion; Discuss and show your new games, collection and wishlist!
Topic Started: Apr 5 2006, 01:09 PM (102,152 Views)
Thermos
Hi all, I just found this forum while researching what games to add to my collection and I thought I'd share what I've got so far. It's cool to see that there are other people who are still very fond of their n64s like I am.

Everything I own is a loose cart with the name written in sharpie on top (so I don't have to rifle through to pick one out), I want these to play and keep forever, not so much to sell or keep in a display. I only ever owned an N64 and a gameboy, and the simplicity of the games of that time is very nostalgic for me. I don't know if I'll ever need to buy a new system while there are new N64 games to play, and even then it might be an SNES or GameBoyAdvanced (which I've enjoyed emulators of).

What I have:
Aidyn Chronicles
Banjo-Kazooie
Castlevania
Chopper Attack
Diddy Kong Racing
Episode I Racer
Extreme-G 2
Fighters Destiny
Fighters Destiny 2
Gauntlet Legends
Hexen
Hybrid Heaven
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Lego Racers
Mace
Mission: Impossible
NBA Courtside
NHL 99
Ogre Battle
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Rogue Squadron
Rush
Super Mario 64
Starfox
Star Soldier
Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire
Tetrisphere
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Tony Hawk
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Vigilante 8
Wave Race 64
Wipeout
WWF War Zone
Xena Warrior Princess
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda:Majora's Mask

Once upon a time I owned classics like Goldeneye, Smash bros, Mario Kart and Conker, but they were taken by someone when I left my collection at home for college. Eventually I'll want to replace them, but since I already played them in their entirety, there are many other priorities for me.
Here's what I reaaaally want to buy soon (in order from what seems to be least expensive to most):
Blast Corps
The World is Not Enough
Quest 64
Winback: Covert Operation
Gex
BattleTanx
Rayman 2
Bomberman 64
Mischief Makers
Silicon Valley
Rocket
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Resident Evil 2
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Harvest Moon

Any glaring gaps I should be aiming to fill? I'm not particularly crazy about sports and fighting games at the moment, but more oriented towards strategy and adventure.
Also, I've seen mention of PAL versions of games, and was wondering if these are incompatible with US machines. I've never thought to make sure I was getting a US version of a game when ordering it online.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Thermos
Quote:

:o For the love of Miyamoto use label stickers, preferably with non-permanent glue.
I've wasted many hours removing that sort of writing from carts.
It really is a big no-no! :nope:

Aw, too late; it was only about a week ago that I got impatient with rifling through my collection and took a sharpie to them, had I gotten your advice before then I would have taken it. The damage is already done, and I'll probably do it to the carts I get in the future just to keep them looking consistent. Really though, I'm not planning on ever selling these, and any duplicates I pick up I'll keep clean since I realize other people wouldn't want my handwriting on their carts. Maybe whoever inherits them from me will bemoan that they can't sell them for as much, but I'd rather they keep them to play anyway :P

Quote:

Quote:

Any glaring gaps I should be aiming to fill?

Mario Kart 64 and Donkey Kong 64

Yea, I haven't played Mario Kart at all in at least 5 years, it would be great to have another go at it. And I'll bump Donkey Kong to the top of my list; is it better than Rayman 2 in your opinion? I was a fan of Banjo Kazooie, though I still haven't gone back and beaten it (got up to Rusty Bucket Bay before I got distracted by Paper Mario), and those games both seem like similar platformers.

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen mention of PAL versions of games, and was wondering if these are incompatible with US machines

yes. a different physical format (iow: the carts dont fit) and a region lock-out chip prevent you from playing PAL carts on NTSC machines and vice versa
There are "region converters" on the market but not one of them supports all games

Ah, thanks for the info. Japanese games are NTSC also right? The NTSC wikipedia seems to indicate that's the case. I'm definitely going to want to hunt down Sin and Punishment, Bangai-o and Neon Genesis Evangelion eventually, and from what I can gather those are only available in the Japanese version. That'll probably be many years from now though, since I still have tons of more affordable American releases to explore.

Thermos
bluedogrulez
Apr 13 2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome, Thermos! I'd put Star Wars Episode I Racer on any must play list. So very fast and quite fun. And bump Sin & Punishment up a few notches; if you like nonstop action games, look no further.

The NTSC-J (Japanese) carts have a physical block on being played on American (NTSC) systems--NTSC-J carts are not notched on the back bottom corners and therefore do not slide all the way in. The can be overcome by (1) using an adaptor cart (most expense way and a cart tower results) (2) altering the gray housing to the cart slot inside the console (very difficult, I've tried 2x) or (3) removing the gray housing (my recommendation, do need proper bit, which are inexpensive and readily available on eBay).
Yea Episode I is definitely a great racer, and I've played loads of 2 player (especially against my brother many years back), but I don't think I've gone through single player and unlocked even close to everything on my cart. Bummer about the Japanese carts, but I guess I'll do the gray housing removal when that day comes. Sin and Punishment does seem like a very appealing game.

Today I picked up an N64 (black), 2 controllers and 8 games from a guy on craigslist. He also had a 1st party controller pack in one of the controllers when I checked them out and he threw it in for free...now I can finally get to Castlevania and Aidyn Chronicles!
The carts I got today:
Kirby
Mario Party
Goldeneye
Smash Bros.
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium (no transfer pack but oh blah dee)
Super Mario 64 (my second copy)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (my second copy)

I could probably have been persuaded to lay down the $80 he wanted for everything for just the games and memory card, but I was psyched to get the system and extra controllers, since now I don't have to bring my console back and forth between my bedroom and living room.
One of the controllers (clear, which I don't own one of yet) doesn't seem to work properly at all, but I've been wanting to open up one of these and see how its made, so this seems like a good opportunity. Most of my controllers are well used and could probably use a stick replacement soon anyway, so it might be good to practice on one that's already broken.

I played a few games of goldeneye and smash with my roommates, and then played the first 2 levels of Kirby and Goldeneye single player. Tested out the controller pack, which didn't have any saves for games I own, so I cleared it out and made a new Gauntlet Legends wizard and a Castlevania file.
I'll probably stay up absurdly late tonight playing with my new haul and the controller pack games that I've been avoiding until now. Should be a fun night.

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply