Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Third Party OEM Thumbsticks; Replacements w/ Original Look and Design
Topic Started: Feb 21 2012, 06:09 PM (10,139 Views)
danny_galaga
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Mar 11 2012, 08:01 AM
danny_galaga
Mar 11 2012, 01:50 AM
Maybe. But when it's assembled, the axle of the axis is held straight in the bearers. Keep us posted!
Good point. I cracked the clone open again to inspect the L-R wheel for obstruction. Sure enough, a portion of light holes on the wheel were clogged with lube. (Remember, the clones come lubed; but one should NOT lube there.)

I'll report back if this fix works....
That worked. All better for now....

Ah! good one (",)

Yes, there shouldn't any grease on either the optic wheels OR the gears. The gears have such light work, the buttons on the controller will probably wear out before them!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Cabanon
Mar 11 2012, 06:13 PM
would a steel part fix the problems once for all ? it shouldn't be that hard to make a mold for this. just take time and precision. no ?
That would solve a huge percentage of the problem. But there would still be the potential for the spring to become fatigued.

Whoever designed the Shark Pad Pro's thumbstick was onto something. Too but they cannot be swapped into an OEM N64 controller . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

would a steel part fix the problems once for all ?

i dunno... i think a steel part would probably cause extra wear & tear on the plastic parts it would come in contact with
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
My thought is steel stick and axis (which also have gear teeth). The only metal to plastic contact would be (1) housing slots (no big deal), and (2) steel gear teeth to plastic gears for optical wheels (maybe a problem, but not much wear evident in plastic to plastic scenario).

Almost forgot: the plastic ring at top on spring. That should be metal too. Probably have a ton of wear if remained plastic.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SolveMyMaze
Morning all. I'm really looking seriously into buying a replacement stick for my N64 controller. On ebay yesterday, I came across this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Joystick-Nintendo-64-N64-Controller-OEM-Style-Stick-Thumbstick-Part-/110872164150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d07ef736

Has anyone tried this stick? It looks as though its made from the rubber that the GC stick is, compared to the hard plastic top of the N64 stick. I would buy it just now to test it myself, but it's coming from the USA and I'm in the UK and would hate to waste the time waiting for this to come only to find out it's a complete dud.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Norcal
Member Avatar

SolveMyMaze
May 13 2012, 03:04 AM
Morning all. I'm really looking seriously into buying a replacement stick for my N64 controller. On ebay yesterday, I came across this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Joystick-Nintendo-64-N64-Controller-OEM-Style-Stick-Thumbstick-Part-/110872164150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d07ef736

Has anyone tried this stick? It looks as though its made from the rubber that the GC stick is, compared to the hard plastic top of the N64 stick. I would buy it just now to test it myself, but it's coming from the USA and I'm in the UK and would hate to waste the time waiting for this to come only to find out it's a complete dud.

I've seen a few of those too, although I've never tried them.. They do look legit, like the original thumbsticks at least
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
SolveMyMaze
May 13 2012, 03:04 AM

Welcome SolveMyMaze. The stick you posted is what this entire thread is about. This is a third party stick that is OEM-style (but not OEM) as opposed to gamecube-style. It does NOT have rubber on the top.

Please review thread for my evaluation of the one I purchaser. As MKII might say, mileage my vary . . . .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SolveMyMaze
Cheers for the reply. I am curious if there's any top notch third party OEM style sticks. If only Nintendo themselves would make some, the buggers :P

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
SolveMyMaze
May 15 2012, 04:05 AM
I am curious if there's any top notch third party OEM style sticks
That, my friend, is an N64 gamer's holy grail. There only seems to be these unlabeled third Party OEMs at the moment. Somewhere on this site, there is a excellent all party controller review that explores (among other things) stick capatibility; but it finds no real answers. There have been posts where authors dream aloud about an OEM style stick with steel components, but, again, its just a dream. So for now, treat your OEM sticks welll (lub up with ceramic grease) and maybe canibalize parts with dead OEMs and these "clone" OEMs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SolveMyMaze
Yeah I had a look at that review earlier on this morning, it was a good read:)
Whilst I can see the point of the stick manufacturers firing out the naff sticks since they're preying on people's wish to have an amazing one, I don't get why a company with the funding behind it hasn't seriously sat down and made OEM style sticks that are just as good as the original stick, without it wearing away.

I've still got a boxed controller which has only been used a few times and it's so damn tight. The other one isn't in the best condition at all. Mind you, when you factor in the amount of time I've spent with it, it's only natural that it's in poor nick.

There really are some shockingly bad third party controllers though, with equally poor sticks. A mate of mine had a third party controller after robbers stole his original controller (but left the N64 :S) and it was dire. You would push on the the stick and bugger all would happen.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Can we have confirmation that the difficulties with this new stick were a result of lubricant blocking the windows on the wheels and that cleaning it resolves these issues?

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I don't get why a company with the funding behind it hasn't seriously sat down and made OEM style sticks that are just as good as the original stick

simple economics, really... there's not enough money to be made or it would have happened already.
Producing and assembling a complex mechanism like the thumb stick is not cheap so you need to make and sell a lot of them to make it cost-effective.
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Grimakis
Jun 4 2012, 05:44 PM
Can we have confirmation that the difficulties with this new stick were a result of lubricant blocking the windows on the wheels and that cleaning it resolves these issues?
Sadly no, not exclusively. The spring collapsed after about 15 mins of heavy use. After I swapped in an OEM spring, it functioned great for a day or so. The second time it failed, it was due to the lube grease clogging the light wheel. Once removed, clone worked well and has continued to work fine (est. 2-3 hours of racing use).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Are you sure it wasn't the lube grease the entire time? How could the grease affect it the second time but not have effected it at all the first time. Also your controller was pulling right both times, no?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Grimakis
Jun 5 2012, 08:35 AM
Are you sure it wasn't the lube grease the entire time? How could the grease affect it the second time but not have effected it at all the first time. Also your controller was pulling right both times, no?
It was not the grease the entire time because in between "spin session" one and two it worked fine. The grease that was removed after spin session 2 was substantial (about 1/4 of the wheel); there is NO WAY the stick could have worked with that amount of grease on it between spin session one and two.

PLus the Clone spring was physically/permanently compressed; OEM springs don't do this.

I encourage you and anyone else interested in the Clone sticks to buy ONE and give it a whirl. They are not prohibitively expensive and, as I note, my sample size of one stick is too small to draw any permanent conclusions. And if you do run into issues, there is some cannibalization value to the Clone.

But what I would caution is to not go overboard and buy a replacement Clone for every controller until you do your own testing b/c there may be some quality control issues (as I experienced).
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jun 5 2012, 03:08 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
I may buy one and test it out. I do have good springs, etc to repair with if that is a problem. For the sake of knowledge it may be useful.

I'm also going to attempt the microcontroller hack to get the N64 to be able to use POTS sticks. This N64 stick business really needs to be sorted out.

~Grimakis

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Good man! I've been curious about POTS sticks myself...please report back on your progress sometime.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
I probably won't get around to it until September, but I'll let everyone know how it's coming along when I start.

SolveMyMaze
Lukie Games are now stocking the OEM style sticks http://www.lukiegames.com/n64-replacement-thumbstick-original-style
I bought the GC style stick from them and it was taking forever to reach the UK. To their credit, they did say that if it had went missing in the mail that they would send me another one free of charge. IMO the wait was worth it since mines arrived 2 days ago.

I'm not sure if these are the same as the other duff ones though, or if these are better ones with a good spring on them. I would order it to give it a whirl but the waiting time was a pain in the neck.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Please let us know!

I am a big fan of Lukie, esp. for NES games. And the one time my order did not arrive, they sent a new order w/o any hassle.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SolveMyMaze
It might be a while before I do get around to ordering it. In fact, KingNintendoFanBoy on YouTube did a video about some of the sticks and he found a really good OEM one, but couldn't remember where he got it from.
Ideally, he could order one since he's in the USA anyway and then post the video on YT to let everyone know about it. I'll fire him off a PM just now to let him know about them and see what he says.

If it was the case that these were sticks with great springs, it would be pretty great.

s2pid
Just got my OEM style stick today from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Joystick-for-Nintendo-64-N64-Controller-OEM-Style-Stick-Thumbstick-Part-/110872164150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d07ef736

It took roughly 3 weeks to arrive

The X axis is a little loose on arrival, and the Y axis is tighter. However this wasn't an issue because that seems to be the deadzone area for most games I have tried out. I can dance dash in super smash bros, smash attack properly, dash pivot jab. Everything the gamecube style replacement couldn't do.

I have about 1-2 hours worth of use on the stick and it's been fine so far.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Hi

Is this similar to the gamecube version or what is described here?

Ebay listing
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

s2pid
buddy1983
Jun 22 2012, 06:20 AM
Hi

Ebay listing
No. It is exactly the same as an original stick. However after about 4 hours use I am starting to see white powder and the stick has become considerably looser. Although I can still perform everything I need to stay competitive in SSB64.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

However after about 4 hours use I am starting to see white powder and the stick has become considerably looser.

after only 4 hours? That's terrible.
Posted Image

SolveMyMaze
buddy1983
Jun 22 2012, 06:20 AM
Hi

Ebay listing
You can get the same stick through Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/GAMERS-NINTENDO-REPLACEMENT-CONTROLLER-THUMBSTICK/dp/B00851GD7U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&m=A2CNEO1H05SNU4&qid=1340455116&s=generic&sr=1-9
I had a look on his actual site and wasn't too impressed with it at all.

Oh, and 4 hours before the dust appears is shockingly bad.

Purtle
Member Avatar
s2pid
Jun 21 2012, 09:44 AM
Just got my OEM style stick today from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Joystick-for-Nintendo-64-N64-Controller-OEM-Style-Stick-Thumbstick-Part-/110872164150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d07ef736

It took roughly 3 weeks to arrive

The X axis is a little loose on arrival, and the Y axis is tighter. However this wasn't an issue because that seems to be the deadzone area for most games I have tried out. I can dance dash in super smash bros, smash attack properly, dash pivot jab. Everything the gamecube style replacement couldn't do.

I have about 1-2 hours worth of use on the stick and it's been fine so far.
Glad to see someone that plays ssb64 competitive is able to give some opinion becasue people told me the gamecube-esque stick was good so I got one, only to find you can't do crap with it in ssb64.

Do you find any trouble doing Running into upsmash or dash into upsmash?

Next test is for someone to put that special grease or wahtever it is into the stick before using it for smash?
Check out My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Purtle28PatrickSSB

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

doubt it would make much difference. The grease is just to stop it wearing out prematurely...

s2pid
Purtle
Jun 27 2012, 06:15 PM
Glad to see someone that plays ssb64 competitive is able to give some opinion becasue people told me the gamecube-esque stick was good so I got one, only to find you can't do crap with it in ssb64.

Do you find any trouble doing Running into upsmash or dash into upsmash?

Next test is for someone to put that special grease or wahtever it is into the stick before using it for smash?
Dashing Usmash works fine. You don't have to delay pressing A, you press up and A at the same time.
Edited by s2pid, Jul 3 2012, 08:55 AM.

macN64
Member Avatar
So here's something that could be big news.

Earlier in the thread, SolveMyMaze mentioned that KingNintendoFanboy posted a video about the third party OEM style sticks on Youtube. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't bother looking it up, not initially anyway. I rectified that a few days ago by seeking it out. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SrXw_Kokmk

The video caught me of guard - it was far more detailed and well informed than I was expecting. I know a lot of people here upload videos to Youtube (myself included), but I find that the quality of most videos discussing N64 sticks... aren't great.

Anyway, according to KingNintendoFanboy, there is more than one "third-party-OEM-style-stick" design out there (that alone was news to me). He, essentially, has two designs in his possession:
1. "Good" clones (from an unknown source - presumably he can't remember)
2. "Bad" clones (from (doscheap? dascheap?) and our old friends at PNPgames)

So, it seems we have been dealing with only the "bad" clones so far in this thread, as far as I know

He says the first "good" one may be a refurbished official stick, such is it's likeness and quality. If it is a clone, the fact it seems indistinguishable from an official stick (bearing in mind he appears very thorough in his analysis, having a well trained eye), surely indicates the clone is of great quality.

It's the second "good" stick that interests me more however. He seems to be saying that this second stick is identical to the first with one big exception - it has a black base. Surely this can only be a third party stick? I have never heard of any official sticks coming with a black base. Can I get a confirmation on this?

Assuming it is indeed third party, the black base really is an excellent characteristic to have - (some of the) the good clones should be easily identifiably, and so easier to track down and get a hold of.

Exciting, isn't it? If only KingNintendoFanboy knew where he got them from...

Well, after watching the video again, I started browsing and clicked on one of the related videos:
Retro Snippets #108: N64 Sticks pimpen, by scorpius26.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKF7hkqcwPI&feature=related

First off - it's in German, so I don't know what is being said. It started simply enough. The guy shows a close up the stick in his controller, probably explaining how they can loosen over time. Then, he reaches into a box full of the Gamecube style sticks. I assume he's going to demonstrate how to make the switch, as he proceeds to open up the controller... only to reveal a black based control stick inside!!! Maybe this scorpius26 can tell us the story behind the stick and where it came from?

I can see three possible explanations for the black based stick being inside that controller:
1. The stick was bought separately from controller, which it was later fitted into.
2. He bought a third party/fake controller, which came fitted with the stick.
3. Some official controllers actually come with black based control sticks (very rare?)

No matter which of the three possibilities turns out to be true, there's something to learn here (unless black based official sticks do exist and I've just been living under a rock). Whatever the case, I think we've got some questioning to do. Do we have any German speakers in the house? :lol:

(On a more negative note, is it just me, or does it look like there's a bit of lag during the Banjo Kazooie gameplay in scorpius26's video? Even if it does lag, good components may still be salvageable from these black-based sticks).
Youtube

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: