Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Future of collecting; Your views
Topic Started: Jul 4 2012, 05:59 AM (1,838 Views)
buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
With all this talk of download only consoles I was wondering what this would mean for the future of collecting. Sure there will always be the current gen (probably the next gen) and everything before but once we go disc-less what would there be to collect other than the consoles themselves and where would you buy the games 10-20 years after the release.

Just wondering what you guys thought about it. I personally think it would be a great shame if we went this way. Nothing beats having the physical copy.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
if consoles all go download-only (which i doubt) that will be the day i stop collecting current-gen stuff.
Posted Image

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Interesting topic Buddy1983

I am like Mk, I will collect current gen stuff until there are no physical versions. I highly doubt Nintendo will go completely download only for another decade at least - there is just too much of a market of buying games as gifts (like from parents, grandparents etc) and the used gaming market is simply too massive to ignore, although I am sure Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would like to eventually eliminate it.

I want to keep the games I love forever - that is why I only collect good games or rare games.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm in agreement with the consensus so far. If they ever go to download only consoles and/or eliminate the ability to play used games on a console then I'm out of that particular gen.

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
I already don't collect current gen really (a little wii, but thats it) so while I wouldn't really be effected, I think it would be a bad move by the game companies. I haven't heard anyone anywhere (on youtube, or any forums, or in person) that said they are excited for download only. haha. Im pretty sure the PSP Go didn't do as well as they thought, and its probably because people like having physical copies of their games.

Posted Image

carsonpeaks
Member Avatar
I think for the corporation it would be a smart idea because people could only buy from them at there prices... but it will eliminate a bunch of customers. Also i dont think they would ever do this because they would still need the disk drive for dvds and what not. so why not just make the disc for the game... I soon think they will give the option though to buy every game electronically but wont eliminate the discs for a long time.

I also don't collect current gen (only the games i have and at least having each new system)

NINTENDO 64 PARTIES ROCK

My Youtube Channel

Cabanon
Elite
the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc. it doesnt make any sense at all. they try to even **** you in the butt by selling an online game, wether on PSN or XBLA, 10$ or 15$ more than the actual disc. what the hell are they thinking.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I think for the corporation it would be a smart idea because people could only buy from them at there prices

actually, Nintendo is very much aware of the fact that they still rely on retail stores to sell their hardware.
They need those stores and this is quite obvious if you look at their Wii U digital plans which incorporates the retail stores as point of sale for download codes.
Nintendo cant afford to alienate the retail sector and they wont for the foreseeable future

Quote:

the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc

they have to and for the very same reason... those retail stores would cry foul if Nintendo would undercut their own pricing policy.
It's good business to let your partners make some money as well
Edited by Mk II, Jul 4 2012, 01:03 PM.
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Mk II
Jul 4 2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:

the problem is they keep the same price online vs disc

they have to and for the very same reason... those retail stores would cry foul if Nintendo would undercut their own pricing policy.
It's good business to let your partners make some money as well
yes it might be good, but you cant pay the same price for a online & a physical copy. you dont get the added touch of physical media. you get a lesser product. its like buying digital music

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
IMO I think that they will go this way eventually. And I for one hate that this is going to happen one day. There is no fun in just downloading the games to play. I'd def prefer to have a solid copy in my possession. They would have to drastically reduced the price of these downloads to make them even remotely interesting for people to want to play, cause if they make the downloads the same price then your just paying for the data and not the copy, which is what I want.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Excellent topic!

While I love owning physical copies I can see a future where digital distribution becomes the primary method for releasing games.

In the mean time, I adore the fact that N64 cartridges are huge yet hold less than a fraction of a postage stamp sized SD card. Yeah the cartridges are archaic but they're as durable as a tank and I just love them for that.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Thanks for your replies guys. I thought this would be your response and I couldn't agree more. As i said nothing beats having your games lined up on the wall to look at :lol:

Out of interest how many of you only download music? I have a very large music collection and dread the day when they stop making physical cds too.
Quote:

I already don't collect current gen really (a little wii, but thats it) so while I wouldn't really be effected

But one day the Wii will become retro and i'm sure you would start collecting then.
Edited by buddy1983, Jul 5 2012, 01:33 AM.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Cabanon
Elite
buddy1983
Jul 5 2012, 01:32 AM
Out of interest how many of you only download music? I have a very large music collection and dread the day when they stop making physical cds too
i had 325 cds but sold 225, only 100 because they dont sell. and i sell them pretty cheap, like 2-3$ at top. if i had a car, i would still have them, but that was the only place i could listen to them as loud as i wanted. now it's in my phone with my studio hd beats. sitting in a 64gb microsdxc card. no cd switch.

jonebone
Member Avatar
The days are numbered... I give it 5-10 years until we're in an all digital environment. Look around you, Netflix killed Blockbuster with low pricing and then by expanding into streaming. Circuit City disappeared and Best Buy will soon be bankrupt also (3-5 years), due to Amazon.com taking over the online marketplace and destroying brick and mortar retail stores. CD sales have dropped off a cliff over the last decade due to iTunes.

Games will be digital only and I'm sure most collectors will hate it. I don't see it having much to do with retro game prices, but yes, collectibility will stop in the generation that goes to download only. Nothing you can do about it though, as streaming games will cheaper for the publishers and costs are everything, especially with a rough economy.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Your right financially for developers it makes complete sense to go this way but dont trust storing my stuff on "the cloud". In 20 years time will i still be able to play my classic games.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

carsonpeaks
Member Avatar
I just really dont see this happening unless the world can get unlimited free wifi this cant happen... although it seems crazy some people actual dont have internet... or do but it could take days or weeks to dl a full game especially as games get bigger and more involved
NINTENDO 64 PARTIES ROCK

My Youtube Channel

Cabanon
Elite
carsonpeaks
Jul 5 2012, 07:29 AM
I just really dont see this happening unless the world can get unlimited free wifi this cant happen...
this too, im lucky i can get an unlimited plan in the shithole i'm in. it took 9 years to re-get an unlimited plan for a decent speed/price.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
I'm a big fan of digital distribution on PC, but that's because when it comes to PC, You have a choice of where you want to go to get a game, so there's so many different services that each one is in constant competition to improve and stand out as the best service.

Because of the competition aswell it means you can get some great deals on games which would be next to impossible to do retail. For example, Each year Steam (http://www.steampowered.com) have two sales where they discount the vast majority of their contents, Some highlights include the Grand Theft Auto Collection (GTA 1, 2 3, VC, SA, IV, EFFC) for 5, Morrowind and Oblivion Games plus all expansions and downloads for around 5 each, I even got Mafia 2 for 3.74 at GreenManGaming. These are Prices that would not be possible if one company had a monopoly on digital distribution which would be what would happen with consoles.

TLDR

I'm fine with PC gaming, and maybe console if multiple companies could have their own storefronts. but considering consoles are pretty much locked down and would have one store ran by MS/Sony/Nintendo there will be no competition. The new Mario game will always be 50, Why would Nintendo lower it when that's the only price you can pay for the game?
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
I personally think digital download will eventually come but only when pretty much every home across the world has high speed broadband, which is still quite some time away.

It's a real shame but as others have mentioned above just look at the way sales of music and films have gone. We've also seen various games on XBL and PSN for download only. It's only a matter of time.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Norcal
Member Avatar

You know the world is ending when video game stores sell slips of paper with download codes instead of discs or physical games :(
Posted Image

James92
Member Avatar
Established Member
I think it's so much better buying a physical copy than a download. I like being able to display and share my game collection with other people. It's just not the same showing someone a list of downloads. I feel the same with music. I rarely download any songs or albums, but I'm always buying CD's.
Posted Image
62/296 NTSC N64 games

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Norcal
Jul 12 2012, 04:45 PM
You know the world is ending when video game stores sell slips of paper with download codes instead of discs or physical games :(
Most of the time for new games, what's worse is that when they give you no physical item they still charge you full price! >_< Such a scam, for the full price I think I'd rather have some sort of physical representation of where my $65+ went thank you.

The future of gaming will be paper and plastic less.. :( That's why it's good to collect the old items now! With the exception of limited editions, promos. etc I think the market will be fully digital by 2020.
Edited by TNT737373, Jul 24 2012, 04:44 PM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Posted Image
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I think that we'll move to a situation where games are more heavily marketed as downloadable content, but only once high speed broadband becomes more widely available. And even then, most of the more popular new games will still be available as a physical product (look at how CDs are still widely available despite a far higher percentage of music sales being downloads). I think in the next gen we might see "rewards" which are only available if you download a game, a bit like the pre-order bonuses of today. Then we'll slowly see a shift in prices, so that downloading becomes noticably cheaper than buying physical products.

None of this bothers me, but it will be interesting to see how backwards compatibility is handled with the next generation of consoles. Will you be able to migrate your Xbox/Playstation account to the new console? Most likely. But what about all those games you downloaded for the old console? Well, it would give the new consoles a massive back catalogue from the start... but the console manaufacturers will want a way to resell those games if they can. It's gonna be interesting. :whistle:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Have people's minds changed on the future of collecting since this thread was first started?

I must admit to having warmed to digital distribution after my Wii, via the Virtual Console service, has given me access to games (specifically Neo Geo titles) that I could never hope to afford if I had to buy the physical media.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@Grizz: In no way do I mean this as a jinx, but if your Wii goes ***GULP*** down, then what? I say this as someone who thought I had achieved my ultimate collection of music only to see it wiped out after my iPod and PC died. I was left without a means of transferring those many, many purchases.

Downloads are great because they tend to be cheap, "on the system," and--for the Switch--portable. But I just do not trust the intangible if my system goes down.

Great thread bump, BTW. Love Clarky's nearly prophetic statement above, and looking forward to what others have to say as we are squarely in a digital download age.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Aug 17 2017, 02:03 PM
@Grizz: In no way do I mean this as a jinx, but if your Wii goes ***GULP*** down, then what?
Thanks to the incredible Raspberry Pi I have somewhat of a backup plan. ;)

Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
I love physical media because it feels tangible, more than just a download in a way. I've always collected physical but have been agonizing over it a little bit recently because I don't like the hassle of having to change discs all the time rather than the convenience of just choosing a game off the screen.

One crazy factor is the ridiculous fact that at least in the UK, downloads tend to be more expensive than buying the physical media off Amazon! At the moment I just can't seem to let go of physical and have just bought Uncharted lost legacy on disc.

Nintendo is my favourite games company so I'm considering just collecting physical for their consoles and downloads for everything else. Although in a way on the Switch, physical is the least convenient as it's portable so the easiest way would be to have everything on the console! I just can't get my head around it at the mo :facepalm:

If only you could just get a corresponding download with the physical media you buy! That way we could have our lovely collections on the shelf and the convenience of hassle free game selection
My CRT thread:

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm still firmly in the physical only camp and rarely buy a game digitally, buying something and holding it in my hand makes it feel like money well spent.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
as long as digital & physical release will be the same price, i dont see how physical media will die. if they really want to push digital sales then they need to lower the price on digital by a good margin, like physical 69$ and digital 49$. otherwise it'll stay like this forever. of course we're talking about console here since on PC it's another ball game as there are flash sales on Steam like crazy.

I'll never stop buying physical unless they stop making it. I dont buy many games a year to justify the saving on digital.

EDIT: I sound like an old fart saying the same thing in 3 posts within the same page, over the course of 5 years, lol
Edited by Cabanon, Aug 18 2017, 05:36 AM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: