Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Future of collecting; Your views
Topic Started: Jul 4 2012, 05:59 AM (1,586 Views)
buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
i was talking with someone the other day and they were amazed I had a cd drive in my PC. How on earth would I listen to cds without a drive :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Aug 18 2017, 05:32 AM
of course we're talking about console here since on PC it's another ball game as there are flash sales on Steam like crazy.
Sony and Microsoft also have sales on digital games for their consoles. For example, on my Xbox 360 I got the Perfect Dark remaster for $1.99, SoulCalibur V for $3.74 and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for free. That's an average of just $1.91 per game which is less than what you usually pay just in shipping for physical games bought on Amazon or eBay.

Physical collecting made a lot more sense when you could find classic games locally but since that's drying up it's hard to imagine that the hobby can sustain itself much longer.

On the positive side, it appears that the exponential proliferation of emulation devices like the Raspberry Pi are actually driving down the asking price on some physical games. I guess the old saying is true; "for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction". :)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I don't do "emulation" for this very reason. I want physical media that I can touch and feel. And I love touching and feeling carts. NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, PC Engine, Turbografx, Sega Genesis, that is the focus of my collecting and gaming. Handhelds, right in there from the GBP to the 3DS and all of the other guys. Cart based gaming with the carts, added plus if there are books & case.
You just don't get things like this with a digital download, (Just a small sampling, but you should get the idea)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I value the games on physical media more than any digital download. Is that just me or does anyone else have this quirk? To Me, it is just part of the whole gaming experience. It would be very difficult for me to fork out $60 or $80 dollars for something I cannot see or touch. It has been under the $10 range in which I have purchased something off of VC or an Indi game. I love the collecting. And that is a part of all this for me. I did not have to think twice about this. I have felt this way from the beginning and I have not wavered.

I know with some people their movies and games, both, are digital and they are perfectly happy. Not my MO.

Sorry for mentioning the "E" word.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Grizzmeister
Aug 18 2017, 08:01 AM
Cabanon
Aug 18 2017, 05:32 AM
of course we're talking about console here since on PC it's another ball game as there are flash sales on Steam like crazy.
Sony and Microsoft also have sales on digital games for their consoles. For example, on my Xbox 360 I got the Perfect Dark remaster for $1.99, SoulCalibur V for $3.74 and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for free. That's an average of just $1.91 per game which is less than what you usually pay just in shipping for physical games bought on Amazon or eBay.

Physical collecting made a lot more sense when you could find classic games locally but since that's drying up it's hard to imagine that the hobby can sustain itself much longer.

On the positive side, it appears that the exponential proliferation of emulation devices like the Raspberry Pi are actually driving down the asking price on some physical games. I guess the old saying is true; "for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction". :)
yes you're right, but these sales are years after their initial release while PC have them just months after.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Finally thing is a really don't mind streaming films and tv shows, it helps me save on space and I guess I don't care for that as much as I do games and music.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Have DVR's gotten any better in the last few years, or are those a thing of the past?
I used to quickly max out the space, then a power outage or glitch would wipe out whatever it wanted, and then all i got were excuses.
Anything that the cable company offers here is a complete rip off.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Physical copies will disappear, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Just look at movies. Most companies still release their movies on DVD, a system almost 20 years old, pretty much surpassing the VHS, and people still buy them (which i'm so surprised at, with it's SD quality). And let's not forget about bluray, even though that didn't catch on as much as i expected (pretty much 90% are PS3 owners), but that's a different story altogether.

However, the biggest reason that it won't go away soon is space.
While most indy games are pretty small, big games (on the consoles anyway) take up so much space. Even though PS4 and the likes come with several TB build in, after downloading just a handful of AAA titles it'll be full (and let's not forget about average download-speed). Balancing out all pros and cons, it's just way more convenient to buy a physical copy at the moment, and publishers know that too.

It will perhaps change in the future, but even though HDs become bigger and cheaper, at the same time the games get larger too.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Aug 20 2017, 07:40 AM
However, the biggest reason that it won't go away soon is space.
While most indy games are pretty small, big games (on the consoles anyway) take up so much space.
It amazes me how inexpensive storage is nowadays and how it just keeps getting cheaper everyday. For example, a Western Digital 3 Terabyte external drive compatible with the PS4 can usually be found for less than $100.

I have all my original Wii Virtual Console games stored on a 2 Gigabyte SD card that I bought for less than 3 dollars. If memory serves, I believe I still have more space on that card if I want to add even more games.

That just blows my mind that I can store the entire N64 library on something the size of a postage stamp. When the N64 launched 20 plus years ago you probably would have been laughed at for even suggesting such a thing. Now we even have smaller micro SD cards that allow Raspberry Pi's to store complete libraries for a multitude of different consoles. I wonder where we'll be in 20 years from now with respect to storage?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Love the comments of Retro Junkie and others on the appeal of physical games. 100% agree.

That said, see I do think physical will disappear sooner rather than later. Look at the Switch. All that is left of physical is a tiny game card and ill-fitting retail boxes with NO manuals or papers of any sort. And the game card, as small as it is, is really the anti-thesis of the Switch concept of gaming on the go. I really think the next hybrid console (be it a Nintendo or other) will swap out a card player for hard drive capacity. But that's just my fairly uneducated guess.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
With the recent news that Nintendo plans to shut down the Wii Shop Channel in early 2019, the future of collecting might actually be in storing WAD's, ROM's and ISO's. ^_^

Who really knows what the future holds for physical video game collecting because the market can easily be turned on its head if speculators and scalpers drop out.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here's a thought - if Nintendo does in fact release an N64 Classic Edition is 2018, prices on the original cartridges might experience an uptick. This will probably be short-lived, however, so if you've been considering cashing in on your collection - that may be your best last chance.

Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Imgur's not accepting uploads at the moment, but I did a little checking on Price Charting. NES more or less peaked around mid 2016 and hasn't really changed since, and the same goes for the SNES.

As for the N64's contemporaries, average PSX game prices have declined 10% since September 2016, while the Saturn has seen a much larger (and quite welcome) 25% drop in that same time period. In general there seems to have been a peak across the board mid 2016, with either stagnation or declines in prices. (of the systems I have charts for, Sega CD and Game Boy Color are the only ones continuing to increase, though it's only a few bucks)

Long story short, I'm not sure there will be a price jump.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The White Falcon
Dec 29 2017, 01:45 PM
Long story short, I'm not sure there will be a price jump.
Thanks for the insightful information, TWF! :yeah:

Nonetheless, a Wii Mini is still potentially one of the highlights of 2018 for me. :-8

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm pretty sure I noticed a couple n64 cartridges jumping up in price by a very small amount. Last time I looked at Namco Museum 64 it was around $5 but now at Gamestop.com and Lukie Games it's going for $10. Like I said, rather inconsequential but still.

I admit I've probably racked my brain too much over the physical vs. digital debate anyway but now I'm leaning more towards physical. What probably sealed the deal for me is that Nintendo's going to be turning off the Wii Shop eventually. Coupled with the fact that I technically don't own the games I've purchased online with Nintendo, it just feels more secure to get the cartridges.

Also, if my dream of emigrating to Japan becomes a reality, I know what I need to do to get an N64 working with all my cartridge games. Not sure about the Wii plus there's the whole "licensed for the US only" thing.

On the other hand, cartridges are sturdy but not immortal, plus there's the issue with original N64 controllers vs. the Gamecube ones for the Wii VC. So there's only one conclusion; stop overthinking it and enjoy the ride day by day lol.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: