Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Calling all members!; Suggestions wanted
Topic Started: Jul 16 2012, 05:11 PM (3,452 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hello everyone. It is time we spruce this place up a bit. I am asking everyone to weigh in on changes they would like to see here. Changes in regard to anything from how it looks to the forum sections. Please know that obviously not everything suggested here is going to happen. I am looking for what the majority wants, perhaps more what the "core" majority wants. I will weigh those wants against what I feel is best for the forum, and then make what changes I feel are appropriate. So let's here it!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I like the idea of having information about our beloved :n64: stored in an area that is easily accessible for users to view.

Also I personally would like to see that trading section be broken up a bit more. Possibly adding a few sections within the trading section, for example - Want to Buy - Want to Sell - Auction.

Enabling the search engine to be a bit better, and possibly doing a house clean every so often, deleting old topics that went no where to keep the place clean.

Thats my thoughts for the moment, If I think of anything else, I'll let u know. :D
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Norcal
Member Avatar

Here's a few suggestions I have :) , i'll edit this and elaborate a bit more later:

• New Forum Skin(s)
  • New Images (Logo, Forum Markers, Signatures, Avatars, favicon, etc) - I can assist with these as well as a forum skin
  • Perhaps a N64 Modding Forum. A subforum to Nintendo 64 Topics, not necessarily its own section.
  • Maybe adding lists to the drop down menu at the top. Like NTSC, PAL, etc lists of Nintendo 64 games.
  • A dedicated Gallery section where people can post their collections and update their progress on them.
  • An actual "Announcements" or "Important Information" section, not sure why but the Welcome and Guidelines section is used as a replacement for this; I think it would be more welcoming to have a dedicated Introduction section seperate from Site announcements. In addition to the Introduction section maybe each moderator/admin can post their own pinned topic about themselves in it.
  • Ventrilo Server (Voice Chat) - I don't expect this to happen, but thought i'd throw it out there anyways just in case. I've been an administrator to a community for around 5 years and we got a Ventrilo server for our members to chill on when they're at home. It's a great way to get to know members and form friendships. It also brings the community beyond just posting on a forum. Doesn't have to revolve around a specific topic like N64, but just a place for people to chat.
  • Dedicated Off-Topic sections - Music/Movies, Comedy, GFX & Media

Edited by Norcal, Jul 16 2012, 05:44 PM.
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
better post/thread started search by member. ie. get rid of the month/year search and gather it all in 1 spot and move page by page.

Norcal
Member Avatar

Cabanon
Jul 16 2012, 09:29 PM
better post/thread started search by member. ie. get rid of the month/year search and gather it all in 1 spot and move page by page.
I'm 99% sure that's not possible. That's just the way Zetaboards manages its search system.
Posted Image

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
More & more focused sections, especially in regards to Trading subforums.

A cleaner skin.

That's about all I can suggest that doesn't involve changing the forum software...

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Re-allow posts to be edited once the 7 day limit has past. This would really help out if people want to update their 'For Sale' topics rather than having to keep posting a new reply regarding changes.

Also is there anyway to get rid of that bloody cat in the text box when you write a post? :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I used to hate that cat, but after some time it warped my mind and now I don't mind i, strange ad though. I would like the search and PM systems to work properly. I would love all the guides and help that people give to be stored in one easy section. I know we do have a section but there is alot burried.
Edited by Vekoma64, Jul 17 2012, 06:42 AM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
PM issues are actual problems with the Zetaboards servers which they are already aware of:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Moulder_Pitfighters/topic/7336713/1/

Personally I would like to see a new skin applied to the forum along with a new banner. It would also be nice to see some new sections to section off some of the useful information the forum has within. I also like the idea of splitting up the Trading section, maybe into sections For Sale, Wanted, Trades, Ebay.

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll think of more soon.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
There are a number of valuable threads in the N64 Topics section that could and should be relocated to the locked and vastly under-utilized N64 guides section, in order to be more visible/accessible and to maybe avoid repeated questions.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
clarky_n64
Jul 17 2012, 07:22 AM
Personally I would like to see a new skin applied to the forum along with a new banner.
It is such a simple thing but I'm in total agreement with this. Everybody has put out some great suggestions so I didn't think I needed to add anything more than another vote for a color and/or skin change and a nice new banner like the ones we're seeing in the Banner Change topic.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Jul 17 2012, 01:12 PM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Norcal
Jul 16 2012, 05:23 PM
Here's a few suggestions I have :) , i'll edit this and elaborate a bit more later:

• New Forum Skin(s)
  • New Images (Logo, Forum Markers, Signatures, Avatars, favicon, etc) - I can assist with these as well as a forum skin
  • Perhaps a N64 Modding Forum. A subforum to Nintendo 64 Topics, not necessarily its own section.
  • Maybe adding lists to the drop down menu at the top. Like NTSC, PAL, etc lists of Nintendo 64 games.
  • A dedicated Gallery section where people can post their collections and update their progress on them.
  • An actual "Announcements" or "Important Information" section, not sure why but the Welcome and Guidelines section is used as a replacement for this; I think it would be more welcoming to have a dedicated Introduction section seperate from Site announcements. In addition to the Introduction section maybe each moderator/admin can post their own pinned topic about themselves in it.
  • Dedicated Off-Topic sections - Music/Movies, Comedy, GFX & Media

I agree with Norcal's ideas. Plus, the PM system (if possible) correction idea.

A new banner would be nice I think.

If possible, the ability to edit a first post in the For Sale Thread would then allow us to only have 1 topic per member for things for sale, and things that are wanted (Nintendo Age does this and it keeps down the clutter). Posts in other discussions I am not overly concerned about editing them too often
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey everybody, thanks for the input. If I combine the few suggestions I got requests for in PM's with the requests for it here, I see that one of the primary desired changes is for a sectional revision here.

Here is my new layout proposal, that I need everyone's feedback on please.

"Introductions, Guidelines, & Forum resources" section
consisting of individual sections:
* Introductions
* Guidelines, Help, & Suggestions (With the Guidelines post pinned at the top)

"Nintendo 64" section
* Gaming
* Collecting
* Modding Discussion
* Guides, Faqs, and Information (A shiny new place for all the guides you all want to see put together)

"Trade / Buy / Sell" section
consisting of individual sections
* Want to Trade and Auction Listings
* Want to Buy
* Want to Sell

"Everything Else" section
* Other Video Games
* Social Board
- with sub category "Entertainment and Sports"
* Reviews

There you have it folks. I know it may not have all that everybody wants or maybe more than some would like, but is it something you all could live with? Thoughts? Please know that adding more sections was generally shot down by the staff in fear of it lowering activity. You see we felt that collectors would never visit the gaming section and vice versa. Thereby leading to them missing out on other posts they might have otherwise seen if they were in the same section. If I follow through with this, it will most likely be on a trial basis to see how it does and how members like it.

I also see a clear call for a visual make over, but more on that later. Supper calls :lol: ;)

Also real quick, To any of you who are desiring a banner change, please take a look at "Banner change" request topic below this one. We are trying to get a contest going. The winning banner could help us decide new color schemes to go with and so on...

So where are our graphic artists at? :yeah:
Edited by stinger9142, Jul 17 2012, 05:33 PM.

Thegt550
Member Avatar
N64/ Classic Car parts Hunter
Seems Pretty good :yeah:
Edited by Thegt550, Jul 17 2012, 05:36 PM.
STAFF WARNING ABOUT THIS MEMBER: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7400206/1/
I Arthur J. Garcia
Declare that i will Help People with their problems regarding the Golden N controller
this does not apply to people who resold theirs and dint bought it from TheGt550
I will sale whats left of my collection to help.(jusco,np100,japan blue/white)

lithium017
Member Avatar
I like the new list. It is simple but effective for separating our ideas

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
That section list is good enough to test out. We'll see if it works out...

macN64
Member Avatar
Hello again, strangers. :)

I would like to have multiple skins/themes to choose from. You know, the drop down box at the bottom left of the page? This can go hand in hand with the banner competition. Rather than a single victor, we could have the top 5 or something, with the "best of the best" becoming the new default banner. And of course, we should save the site's current skin and banner as the "classic" skin for users who prefer things as they are now.

It seems to me there's potential for a lot of overlap between the existing sections on the forum. Here's a few examples:
New SM64 Game in progress could be posted under social
any1 live in sydney could be posted under social
Interesting eBay aution. could be posted under trading
Video game addiction could be posted under social
NES Coffee Table Project could be posted under other video games
You Wont believe this could be posted under Nintendo 64, Social or Trading. :lol:

I'm not saying these topics should be posted under the sections I suggest, I'm just trying to illustrate that it can sometimes be difficult choosing where to place your topic. Because of this, it seems to me that adding further sections isn't guaranteed to lead to a tidier form. That's one advantage of an all encompassing "Nintendo 64" section - if you're topic is anything to do with the N64, you know where to post it.

danilochka

Re-allow posts to be edited once the 7 day limit has past. This would really help out if people want to update their 'For Sale' topics rather than having to keep posting a new reply regarding changes.
This.

DeeMoney

and possibly doing a house clean every so often, deleting old topics that went no where to keep the place clean.
I don't like the sound of that. Archiving should be ok, but I don't like the idea of mods/admins being made to decide which topics are relevant and useful enough to hang on to. I wouldn't want to suddenly find that a topic I liked has been deleted because it wasn't "useful enough". For short topics that don't go anywhere, maybe a further "Rubbish Bin" archive section could be added, literally for the purpose of keeping the forum tidy.

stinger9142

You see we felt that collectors would never visit the gaming section and vice versa. Thereby leading to them missing out on other posts they might have otherwise seen if they were in the same section.
That's a concern I have as well, though I suppose it could work. Running a trial to see how it goes seems like the best things to do. So, good call there. :yeah:

About any "moding" section that gets created - would software count, as well as hardware? ROM hacks like Star Road and Goldeneye X? And what about flash carts? Like I said earlier, there's potential for overlap.

Finally, a couple of somewhat off topic points:
- The topic title reminded me of this. :lol:
- I've finally scratched that "499 posts" itch. It may have taken me 5+ years, but I have at long last made it to 500 posts! :omg: :dance:
Youtube

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I'm defiantly for the trial run of what you suggested Stinger. I think what you've come up with sounds pretty good. :yeah:

Posted Image

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
As to the lineup as of right now, I don't think "Want To Buy" & "Want To Sell" should be sub-forums. Rather, they should be regular sections within the trading category like "Want To Trade" is. All aspects of game merchandising are pretty popular, and none should be minimized (literally, as the subforum link IS much smaller), IMO.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Would it be worth putting subforums in the Other Games forum?

For example, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, PC, not sure if we have a big enough community or not for this to be a option
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Flare Dancer
Jul 19 2012, 01:45 AM
As to the lineup as of right now, I don't think "Want To Buy" & "Want To Sell" should be sub-forums. Rather, they should be regular sections within the trading category like "Want To Trade" is. All aspects of game merchandising are pretty popular, and none should be minimized (literally, as the subforum link IS much smaller), IMO.
I agree

Posted Image

jonebone
Member Avatar
I'm usually not a fan of change, but the new layout seems to make sense. Once I find all of my old threads I'll adjust fine. Seems intuitive enough to me.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey again everyone. I hope everyone is adjusting to the changes OK so far. Please know, Flare Dancer and DeeMoney, that I agree, and plan to make them full fledged sections next time I get a few minutes to work on the layout.

Matt: I seriously debated that, but genuinely felt there was no need given the size of the community at this time. I also thought about a "handheld gaming" section as well.

More changes will be coming over the next few weeks. Kind of exciting I guess ;) :w00t:

Also, I liked the idea of every staff member posting a pinned topic in the introduction area telling a bit about themselves. I may do mine tonight.
Edited by stinger9142, Jul 19 2012, 08:51 PM.

Norcal
Member Avatar

Nice to see some changes :)
Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Jul 16 2012, 09:29 PM

Apparently it can't be done :(

Pity, because the current method is daft...

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
My computer had to be repaired and I havent been on in a few days, but I must say that I am really NOT fond of how the selling/trading location is very far down on the page. I think the modding threads should be moved lower and the selling/trading threads should be moved back up. At least up far enough that they can be seen when you first come to the site without having to scroll down the page.

Posted Image

lithium017
Member Avatar
I think the Trading Section could be moved up, but not entirely to the top. Perhaps it should be immediately after the "Nintendo 64" section but before the "Everything Else" Section

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Update: "Want to Buy" and "Want to Sell" are now full fledged categories. The "Trading" section in general is now before the "Everything Else" section.

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
Three small adjustments:

1. Under Modding, correct the spelling of "accessories"

2. In Guides & FAQs, put a comma after FAQs

3. In Want to Trade, start Trade with a capital T

Then, I think all is good until the skin gets updated! 8)

lithium017
Member Avatar
Flare Dancer
Jul 21 2012, 01:00 PM
Three small adjustments:

2. In Guides & FAQs, put a comma after FAQs

Actually, the comma placement after the 2nd item in a list is arbitrary and personal choice. Goooo studying English in university :P

I think the small blurb under "Want to trade & Auction Listings" should also be altered from:

"Buy, Sell, Trade and Wanted items! For video game-related items ONLY. Buy/Sell/Trade at your own risk!"

to something like

"For trading and personal auctions for video games only. No Ebay auctions here please."

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: