Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Calling all members!; Suggestions wanted
Topic Started: Jul 16 2012, 05:11 PM (3,470 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hello everyone. It is time we spruce this place up a bit. I am asking everyone to weigh in on changes they would like to see here. Changes in regard to anything from how it looks to the forum sections. Please know that obviously not everything suggested here is going to happen. I am looking for what the majority wants, perhaps more what the "core" majority wants. I will weigh those wants against what I feel is best for the forum, and then make what changes I feel are appropriate. So let's here it!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
OK, adjustments made, from my Blackberry no less! Thanks for pointing out the typos and capitalization mistakes. I had already corrected 2 others this morning.While that comma wasn't a have to, it is my preference. If you look at the new sections I typed, I use a comma to seperate the last item. I didn't have to change the name of that section, so it stayed the way it was during the transition. I have added the comma since though, so it will match the format of the rest of the forum headings and descriptions. If anybody see's anything else, please point it out. Also, I have never had any transaction of any kind on here. That makes me ignorant in this area. Are ebay auction listings typically frowned upon here if they have a topic made to advertise them?

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
Corrections look good, but now there's a new error - the "S" in "FAQS" isn't small anymore...

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
is now :D

macN64
Member Avatar
Could anyone clarify a few of things for me?

Is the site's "skin" the same thing as the site's "theme" (the drop down box at the bottom left)?

How much control do we have over the themes, e.g. how much can we customise them, can different banners be assigned to different themes, and can we add more of them?
Youtube

Norcal
Member Avatar

macN64
Jul 22 2012, 01:18 PM
Could anyone clarify a few of things for me?

Is the site's "skin" the same thing as the site's "theme" (the drop down box at the bottom left)?

How much control do we have over the themes, e.g. how much can we customise them, can different banners be assigned to different themes, and can we add more of them?
You can customize basically everything about the layout of the forum. and yes, different banners can be assigned to different themes.
Posted Image

macN64
Member Avatar
Norcal

You can customize basically everything about the layout of the forum. and yes, different banners can be assigned to different themes.
Thanks Norcal, that's good to hear. So potentially we could have several different themes, each with a different banner (from the contest).

Edit:

Might I suggest that the Nintendo 64 "Gaming" section be renamed "Gaming and General Discussion". I feel the section already serves that function, and this will just be renaming it to match. It will be the place where we could discuss game soundtracks, movies we've seen the console in, tributes like these and this little guy: :omg: , as well as more traditional "gaming" things, like best times on Mario Kart, and the Rumble Pak.

Edited by macN64, Jul 25 2012, 06:45 AM.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this, but I'd just like to highlight the edit I made to my previous post, since I think it's gone under the radar. :whistle:
macN64

Might I suggest that the Nintendo 64 "Gaming" section be renamed "Gaming and General Discussion". I feel the section already serves that function, and this will just be renaming it to match. It will be the place where we could discuss game soundtracks, movies we've seen the console in, tributes like these and this little guy: :omg: , as well as more traditional "gaming" things, like best times on Mario Kart, and the Rumble Pak.
Maybe not nessisarilly "Gaming and General Discussion", but I think changing it to something along those lines would be a good move.
Youtube

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I will take that into consideration, mac! Seems to make sense to me, as long as it could be worded in a way as to not confuse some into thinking it meant "General Discussion" like in a "Social" section kind of way.

FYI, everyone - The FAQs and Guides sections has now been opened up to replies from normal members. New topics are still restricted, needing a mod or admins approval to move a topic into the section. This still allows people to post a nice and neat guide, while allowing members to ask questions and such.

Also, We should start seeing some cosmetic upgrades in about a weeks time. Please do not forget to enter your banner submissions people. We stop taking nominees on the 8th of August.

Thanks

Norcal
Member Avatar

I haven't had time recently to make any new ones unfortunately :(
Posted Image

alekx
Maybe we could have a youtube section, lots of members have youtube accounts and there are lots of gaming youtube videos.

Im just spitballing so lets see what others think.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I could see how that could work, but also could get confusing. The many different type of videos (gameplay, mod'ing tutorials, controller collecting, etc...) all have their respective areas that they belong in. A "Youtube" section, would cross those barriers we have put up recently. That is just my 2 thoughts anyhow. Thank you for making a suggestion, alekx :yeah:

macN64
Member Avatar
Stinger9142

I will take that into consideration, mac! Seems to make sense to me, as long as it could be worded in a way as to not confuse some into thinking it meant "General Discussion" like in a "Social" section kind of way.
Just noiced the Nintendo 64 Gaming section has been renamed. :lol: The new title works great. :yeah:
Youtube

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
Ok, until the makeover, I have three final suggestions:

1. Split "Announcements" off into a separate section, and rename the existing just "Guidelines, Site Help, and Suggestions".

2. Change "Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion" to just "General Nintendo 64 Discusssion". Since there are already "Collecting" and "Modding" sections, gaming WILL be the main focus of General by default.

3. Add periods after the section descriptions for Collecting, Modding, and FAQs.

:)

zombi
Member Avatar
Established Member
These forums really need a link to "View New Posts Since Last Visit" or "View Unread Posts".

I hate navigating through every sub-forum looking for topics that I haven't read.
Current Retro Game Collection - Always Accepting Offers/Trades!
Current Wishlist

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
This was mentioned a month or two ago. Norcal stated how it could be done if I remember correctly. It just slipped through the cracks on my part though. I will try to work on it when I have some time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Norcal
Member Avatar

zombi
Oct 18 2012, 05:08 AM
These forums really need a link to "View New Posts Since Last Visit" or "View Unread Posts".

I hate navigating through every sub-forum looking for topics that I haven't read.
It's not that great, but Zetaboards does offer an "Active Topics" function (which is located at the bottom of the page on board index) that shows new posts on topics. It's a pretty basic feature and doesn't have many customizable search options, but it gets the job done for the most part.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/search/?c=5

As seen on the board index:

Posted Image
Posted Image

N64freak21
Member Avatar
More accessible to people looking for nintendo 64 forums

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
mrdanielcroker
Oct 22 2012, 02:00 AM
More accessible to people looking for nintendo 64 forums
Maybe it is different for other people? When I search for "Nintendo 64 Forum" on Google, we are the first thing that comes up on my screen. A few others want to try this? I would love to know the results. Thanks

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
That's the top hit when I google Nintendo 64 forum as well.

Norcal
Member Avatar

It's nice looking back at the old posts seeing how much we've improved. :D

Posted Image

Waddle Dee
Member Avatar
Wat
I think a ventrilo or teamspeak server would be AMAZING, with Norcal on that one.
Simply Subscribe For My Love:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Crumpocalypse

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Norcal, Yes it is!

Crumpocalypse: The thought of voice chatting or chatting in general has been considered several times before. I think such a thing is great for relationship building between members, but I feel it is detrimental to posting activity. I feel it would rob discussion that would have otherwise been on the board its' self. This was also a position of the old staff when I was a part of it as well, I totally still adhere to it. Perhaps someday I will see things differently, but for now I want to keep the focus on increasing forum activity. I think this goal can be better accomplished for the time being with weekly/monthly/yearly regular activities that involve the members, as well as engaging topics that keep things interesting.

Thank you for giving your input.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Just a quick tiny announcement...
I had noticed last week that the "Like" system Norcal had intelligently incorporated into his theme was only visible/usable to users of his theme. We've just added this functionality to all other themes... let us know if you see anything that needs to be fixed regarding this!

(And feel free "like" this post, as you see fit!) ;)
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Assassin's Creed: Unity, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Thanks, floorcat!!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Yeah I saw that. A few likes coming up I reckon :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
floorcat
May 15 2013, 04:23 PM
Just a quick tiny announcement...
I had noticed last week that the "Like" system Norcal had intelligently incorporated into his theme was only visible/usable to users of his theme. We've just added this functionality to all other themes... let us know if you see anything that needs to be fixed regarding this!

(And feel free "like" this post, as you see fit!) ;)
Very nice touch that I was never aware of because I use just the basic Classic Theme. :yeah:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
i was wondering why i had never come across it since i use the classic them aswell, but ive heard people talk about it but could never find it :lol: thanks for keeping us updated :yeah:

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
I am an Admin of a forum, and what really could help (just a suggestion =) ) and its huge;
is: try to migrate to XenForo and have a shout-box =)

I see that there are people online every day, but when I see the viewers inside some topic, its 0 so I think they are all on the home page.

So shout-box should keep everyone entertained =D
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you, Vinyl. All suggestions are noted and appreciated.

I can say that for now there are no plans to migrate the forum anywhere. Our recent surveys are over half tallied so far, and zetaboards has maintained virtually a 100% satisfaction rating among our members. It has been our home since our forced move from being an invision free forum. A few members mention the occasional pm issues or limitations, but every member so far has stated they were happy overall with zetaboards hosting. That being the case, it is just to big of a thing to consider.

Zetaboards can also have a shoutbox. While it may happen someday, we have no plans to add one now. Though it isn't a true "chat room" it has always been viewed here as something that would potentially detract from chit chat discussion/posting.

Thank you again for your suggestion :)

super_joker
Member Avatar
Established Member
country flags on avatars?
Edited by super_joker, Jun 19 2014, 07:45 PM.
PRESS START
Posted Image
PRESS START

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: