Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Calling all members!; Suggestions wanted
Topic Started: Jul 16 2012, 05:11 PM (4,014 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hello everyone. It is time we spruce this place up a bit. I am asking everyone to weigh in on changes they would like to see here. Changes in regard to anything from how it looks to the forum sections. Please know that obviously not everything suggested here is going to happen. I am looking for what the majority wants, perhaps more what the "core" majority wants. I will weigh those wants against what I feel is best for the forum, and then make what changes I feel are appropriate. So let's here it!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey everybody, thanks for the input. If I combine the few suggestions I got requests for in PM's with the requests for it here, I see that one of the primary desired changes is for a sectional revision here.

Here is my new layout proposal, that I need everyone's feedback on please.

"Introductions, Guidelines, & Forum resources" section
consisting of individual sections:
* Introductions
* Guidelines, Help, & Suggestions (With the Guidelines post pinned at the top)

"Nintendo 64" section
* Gaming
* Collecting
* Modding Discussion
* Guides, Faqs, and Information (A shiny new place for all the guides you all want to see put together)

"Trade / Buy / Sell" section
consisting of individual sections
* Want to Trade and Auction Listings
* Want to Buy
* Want to Sell

"Everything Else" section
* Other Video Games
* Social Board
- with sub category "Entertainment and Sports"
* Reviews

There you have it folks. I know it may not have all that everybody wants or maybe more than some would like, but is it something you all could live with? Thoughts? Please know that adding more sections was generally shot down by the staff in fear of it lowering activity. You see we felt that collectors would never visit the gaming section and vice versa. Thereby leading to them missing out on other posts they might have otherwise seen if they were in the same section. If I follow through with this, it will most likely be on a trial basis to see how it does and how members like it.

I also see a clear call for a visual make over, but more on that later. Supper calls :lol: ;)

Also real quick, To any of you who are desiring a banner change, please take a look at "Banner change" request topic below this one. We are trying to get a contest going. The winning banner could help us decide new color schemes to go with and so on...

So where are our graphic artists at? :yeah:
Edited by stinger9142, Jul 17 2012, 05:33 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey again everyone. I hope everyone is adjusting to the changes OK so far. Please know, Flare Dancer and DeeMoney, that I agree, and plan to make them full fledged sections next time I get a few minutes to work on the layout.

Matt: I seriously debated that, but genuinely felt there was no need given the size of the community at this time. I also thought about a "handheld gaming" section as well.

More changes will be coming over the next few weeks. Kind of exciting I guess ;) :w00t:

Also, I liked the idea of every staff member posting a pinned topic in the introduction area telling a bit about themselves. I may do mine tonight.
Edited by stinger9142, Jul 19 2012, 08:51 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Update: "Want to Buy" and "Want to Sell" are now full fledged categories. The "Trading" section in general is now before the "Everything Else" section.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
OK, adjustments made, from my Blackberry no less! Thanks for pointing out the typos and capitalization mistakes. I had already corrected 2 others this morning.While that comma wasn't a have to, it is my preference. If you look at the new sections I typed, I use a comma to seperate the last item. I didn't have to change the name of that section, so it stayed the way it was during the transition. I have added the comma since though, so it will match the format of the rest of the forum headings and descriptions. If anybody see's anything else, please point it out. Also, I have never had any transaction of any kind on here. That makes me ignorant in this area. Are ebay auction listings typically frowned upon here if they have a topic made to advertise them?

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
is now :D

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I will take that into consideration, mac! Seems to make sense to me, as long as it could be worded in a way as to not confuse some into thinking it meant "General Discussion" like in a "Social" section kind of way.

FYI, everyone - The FAQs and Guides sections has now been opened up to replies from normal members. New topics are still restricted, needing a mod or admins approval to move a topic into the section. This still allows people to post a nice and neat guide, while allowing members to ask questions and such.

Also, We should start seeing some cosmetic upgrades in about a weeks time. Please do not forget to enter your banner submissions people. We stop taking nominees on the 8th of August.

Thanks

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I could see how that could work, but also could get confusing. The many different type of videos (gameplay, mod'ing tutorials, controller collecting, etc...) all have their respective areas that they belong in. A "Youtube" section, would cross those barriers we have put up recently. That is just my 2 thoughts anyhow. Thank you for making a suggestion, alekx :yeah:

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
This was mentioned a month or two ago. Norcal stated how it could be done if I remember correctly. It just slipped through the cracks on my part though. I will try to work on it when I have some time. Thanks for the suggestion!

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
mrdanielcroker
Oct 22 2012, 02:00 AM
More accessible to people looking for nintendo 64 forums
Maybe it is different for other people? When I search for "Nintendo 64 Forum" on Google, we are the first thing that comes up on my screen. A few others want to try this? I would love to know the results. Thanks

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Norcal, Yes it is!

Crumpocalypse: The thought of voice chatting or chatting in general has been considered several times before. I think such a thing is great for relationship building between members, but I feel it is detrimental to posting activity. I feel it would rob discussion that would have otherwise been on the board its' self. This was also a position of the old staff when I was a part of it as well, I totally still adhere to it. Perhaps someday I will see things differently, but for now I want to keep the focus on increasing forum activity. I think this goal can be better accomplished for the time being with weekly/monthly/yearly regular activities that involve the members, as well as engaging topics that keep things interesting.

Thank you for giving your input.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you, Vinyl. All suggestions are noted and appreciated.

I can say that for now there are no plans to migrate the forum anywhere. Our recent surveys are over half tallied so far, and zetaboards has maintained virtually a 100% satisfaction rating among our members. It has been our home since our forced move from being an invision free forum. A few members mention the occasional pm issues or limitations, but every member so far has stated they were happy overall with zetaboards hosting. That being the case, it is just to big of a thing to consider.

Zetaboards can also have a shoutbox. While it may happen someday, we have no plans to add one now. Though it isn't a true "chat room" it has always been viewed here as something that would potentially detract from chit chat discussion/posting.

Thank you again for your suggestion :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Could be fun to have more groups. Fast reply must be enabled in the forum controls for each individual section. I have meant for a few years to inquire opinions on making it universal across the forum. I am for that if others are as well?

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am sure a lot of folks access the site via mobile. I do frequently, but it works for me well. Perhaps we could soon commission someone who has made a theme for us in the past to make a mobile specific theme. Anybody interested?

« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply