Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Calling all members!; Suggestions wanted
Topic Started: Jul 16 2012, 05:11 PM (3,473 Views)
macN64
Member Avatar
Hello again, strangers. :)

I would like to have multiple skins/themes to choose from. You know, the drop down box at the bottom left of the page? This can go hand in hand with the banner competition. Rather than a single victor, we could have the top 5 or something, with the "best of the best" becoming the new default banner. And of course, we should save the site's current skin and banner as the "classic" skin for users who prefer things as they are now.

It seems to me there's potential for a lot of overlap between the existing sections on the forum. Here's a few examples:
New SM64 Game in progress could be posted under social
any1 live in sydney could be posted under social
Interesting eBay aution. could be posted under trading
Video game addiction could be posted under social
NES Coffee Table Project could be posted under other video games
You Wont believe this could be posted under Nintendo 64, Social or Trading. :lol:

I'm not saying these topics should be posted under the sections I suggest, I'm just trying to illustrate that it can sometimes be difficult choosing where to place your topic. Because of this, it seems to me that adding further sections isn't guaranteed to lead to a tidier form. That's one advantage of an all encompassing "Nintendo 64" section - if you're topic is anything to do with the N64, you know where to post it.

danilochka

Re-allow posts to be edited once the 7 day limit has past. This would really help out if people want to update their 'For Sale' topics rather than having to keep posting a new reply regarding changes.
This.

DeeMoney

and possibly doing a house clean every so often, deleting old topics that went no where to keep the place clean.
I don't like the sound of that. Archiving should be ok, but I don't like the idea of mods/admins being made to decide which topics are relevant and useful enough to hang on to. I wouldn't want to suddenly find that a topic I liked has been deleted because it wasn't "useful enough". For short topics that don't go anywhere, maybe a further "Rubbish Bin" archive section could be added, literally for the purpose of keeping the forum tidy.

stinger9142

You see we felt that collectors would never visit the gaming section and vice versa. Thereby leading to them missing out on other posts they might have otherwise seen if they were in the same section.
That's a concern I have as well, though I suppose it could work. Running a trial to see how it goes seems like the best things to do. So, good call there. :yeah:

About any "moding" section that gets created - would software count, as well as hardware? ROM hacks like Star Road and Goldeneye X? And what about flash carts? Like I said earlier, there's potential for overlap.

Finally, a couple of somewhat off topic points:
- The topic title reminded me of this. :lol:
- I've finally scratched that "499 posts" itch. It may have taken me 5+ years, but I have at long last made it to 500 posts! :omg: :dance:
Youtube
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

macN64
Member Avatar
Could anyone clarify a few of things for me?

Is the site's "skin" the same thing as the site's "theme" (the drop down box at the bottom left)?

How much control do we have over the themes, e.g. how much can we customise them, can different banners be assigned to different themes, and can we add more of them?
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Norcal

You can customize basically everything about the layout of the forum. and yes, different banners can be assigned to different themes.
Thanks Norcal, that's good to hear. So potentially we could have several different themes, each with a different banner (from the contest).

Edit:

Might I suggest that the Nintendo 64 "Gaming" section be renamed "Gaming and General Discussion". I feel the section already serves that function, and this will just be renaming it to match. It will be the place where we could discuss game soundtracks, movies we've seen the console in, tributes like these and this little guy: :omg: , as well as more traditional "gaming" things, like best times on Mario Kart, and the Rumble Pak.

Edited by macN64, Jul 25 2012, 06:45 AM.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this, but I'd just like to highlight the edit I made to my previous post, since I think it's gone under the radar. :whistle:
macN64

Might I suggest that the Nintendo 64 "Gaming" section be renamed "Gaming and General Discussion". I feel the section already serves that function, and this will just be renaming it to match. It will be the place where we could discuss game soundtracks, movies we've seen the console in, tributes like these and this little guy: :omg: , as well as more traditional "gaming" things, like best times on Mario Kart, and the Rumble Pak.
Maybe not nessisarilly "Gaming and General Discussion", but I think changing it to something along those lines would be a good move.
Youtube

macN64
Member Avatar
Stinger9142

I will take that into consideration, mac! Seems to make sense to me, as long as it could be worded in a way as to not confuse some into thinking it meant "General Discussion" like in a "Social" section kind of way.
Just noiced the Nintendo 64 Gaming section has been renamed. :lol: The new title works great. :yeah:
Youtube

« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply