Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Cleaning N64 carts; Any DIY guides/advice?
Topic Started: Jul 16 2012, 05:50 PM (3,603 Views)
brown duckz
Member Avatar
I'd like to carefully clean some of my carts that aren't perfect. Some of them have very thin amounts of residue or marks that will come clean if scrubbed/wiped.

What's the best products/method while also being extra careful not to ruin/tarnish the labels? What about getting into the two crevices that are about 1" from each end of the cart?

Thanks in advance!
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Norcal
Member Avatar

Goo Gone & Rubbing Alchohol work for me.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
I use bio-ethanol to clean the cart housing. It will remove most felt-tip wrting, sticker residue and dirt without much effort.
Use a soaked Q-tip to get into the crevices.
CAVEAT: ethanol will also happily remove the ink from the label so you have to be VERY careful when using it.
Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Mk II
Jul 17 2012, 02:25 AM
I use bio-ethanol to clean the cart housing. It will remove most felt-tip wrting, sticker residue and dirt without much effort.
Use a soaked Q-tip to get into the crevices.
CAVEAT: ethanol will also happily remove the ink from the label so you have to be VERY careful when using it.

+1

towin
Member Avatar
how do you clean the inside thing. i use to blow in it but then i found a label that said not to do that.
link: he has bombs but still needs keys to open locked doors

serge85
I open them, and use a little of metal polisher on the contacts, after that they look and work (no more blowing :D ) like new.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
the inside? i suppose you mean the contact strips.
Same procedure really, but i start off with rubbing them with a pen eraser; this will remove any built-up grime and gunk.
Then i clean the contacts with some alcohol or bio-ethanol.
Works every time.

here's a before-and-after pic of a "broken" NES cart i cleaned back to life (the picture doesnt do the shiny clean contacts justice, they look better IRL )
Posted Image

Edited by Mk II, Jan 3 2013, 07:15 PM.
Posted Image

justinwebb
Member Avatar
might have to try the whole pen eraser thing as I have a few that dont work on the first try. I dont have any bio ethanol with isopropyl work? I have some 91% stuff that works fairly well

My collection and wanted list!

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Since posting this thread, I've become a pro.

Here's some of my work:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
amazing what can be done, eh? looks so much smarter that way

Quote:

isopropyl ?

yes, thats fine too. or "rubbing alcohol" or even Windex if you havent got anything else.
as long as it is something that evaporates fairly quicky; liquids and electronics dont play nice together.

but in my experience, ethanol is the most effective in removing all sorts of ink and glue residue.
It also is very good against those pesky foil stickers you often find on ex-rental carts.
it just seems to eat it all up !
Edited by Mk II, Jan 9 2013, 03:31 AM.
Posted Image

Randomgeek
Member Avatar
Established Member
Wow, I really have to get some of those Magic Erasers... I tried to do some cleaning with rubbing alocohol earlier today but some of my games I got used are just so gunked up with magic marker and stuff. Hope I can get them looking as good as Brown Duckz did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FDF2NTP5c2o

Veni.Vidi.Vici
Member Avatar
I have Been using DeoxIT Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator for the cartridge connectors and its been great so far, although probably a more expensive option for cleaning the contacts!

Posted Image

I Came, I Saw, I Conker
Posted Image

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
That turned out really brown duckz, im going to have to try out a few of the suggestions on some of my carts.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
DeOxit is a bad idea. way too expensive and most of their products are far too oily and leave a "lubricating" residue that will only attract more dirt.
A big bottle of ethanol can be had for less than 2 dollars and will literally last you a lifetime.
Posted Image

Veni.Vidi.Vici
Member Avatar
Quote:

DeOxit is a bad idea. way too expensive and most of their products are far too oily and leave a "lubricating" residue that will only attract more dirt.
A big bottle of ethanol can be had for less than 2 dollars and will literally last you a lifetime.

I tried DeOxit because I get it free through my work, but ill have to keep an eye on dirt build up as i have cleaned carts with DeOxit & Isopropyl 'rubbing' Alcohol :)
I Came, I Saw, I Conker
Posted Image

Randomgeek
Member Avatar
Established Member
I tried using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my game cartidges yesterday, and they worked like a charm. There's not a trace of the permanent marker left on the games now. I'd highly recommend using them to anyone looking to get marker off of an N64 Cartridge.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

Proctor & Gamble’s Magic Eraser® is made of a melamine resin foam called Basotect® (manufactured by BASF). On curing, the melamine resin becomes almost as hard as glass, which allows it to act like extremely fine sandpaper as the foam eraser rubs the particles of dirt from the surface. Basotect® remains soft and supple due to the structure of the foam created by adding water. When water is added, the very fine airy structure (that you can only see under a microscope) creates a surface that makes the dirt stick to it.

So it works 2 ways:
1. The foam eraser acts like extremely fine sandpaper and rubs the dirt from the surface.
2. The nature of the foam makes the dirt stick to it.

And, like a pencil eraser, the foam gets used up as it’s used.

Here’s why you should be careful. Anything that works like sandpaper will not only rub the dirt from the surface, but with a soft surface that can be scratched, it will also damage the surface. I tested the Magic Eraser® on walls painted with eggshell latex paint. Yes, it took the dirt away. It also took the sheen from the paint surface. It also took some of the colour from the paint surface. High gloss latex paint? It removes the gloss. Varnished surfaces? Don’t even think about using it.

in other words: don't rub it like crazy
Edited by Mk II, Mar 17 2013, 06:07 PM.
Posted Image

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
Dont use magic eraser on NES games, as they have a textured surface to them, and the magic eraser grinds it down smooth. Its not a big issue on n64 games because they are already smooth, but it really is like using very fine sand paper. I wouldn't recommend using it on SNES or NES games.

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
and NEVER use them on a N64 console as they are very easily scratched.

I once tried to clean a console with one of those synthetic spongy pan scourers... bad idea!
One swipe and it was totally ruined - still sold it though :)
Edited by Mk II, Mar 18 2013, 01:13 PM.
Posted Image

Randomgeek
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks a lot for the info, MK and SicCooper. I probably would have tried them on my Gameboy games with permanent marker on them if I hadn't checked this thread first.

MegaRock64
Member Avatar
I actually have one of those nintenod Screwdrivers to open up the cartridges and clean the insides and such. On my Quest 64 game, there's this black ink mark on it. I thought Magic Eraser would do good.. here's a pic:

Posted Image

What's your opinion?
When you are at 200+ Subscribers on YT!!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
That looks like someone tried to roast it like a marshmallow :lol: If it is black ink, though, hairspray or magic eraser should do the trick.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MegaRock64
Member Avatar
Now that you mentioned it, It kinda does look a little roasted. But it DESERVES IT FOR THE TERRIBLE GAME IT IS!!! :p BWAHAHAHA!! But still, good or bad, i try to keep the games in the best condition possible. :dk: :mario: :yoshirider:

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
>_> Shhhh, don't say that around Hydro_nix.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

That looks like someone tried to roast it like a marshmallow

Agreed. That's heat and/or flame damage and beyond repair.
Posted Image

NJ7
Established Member
@MegaRock64 what horrible game was that, that someone tried burning it up....

EDIT: Sorry didn't read the whole message, Quest 64, yeah that game is awful!!!
Edited by NJ7, Apr 2 2013, 04:51 PM.

spcbttlz
Very helpful thread, thanks guys. I have a few carts that need cleaned, bad...

MegaRock64
Member Avatar
UPDATE: It turns out it really is ink, and some of it is coming off with mr clean magic eraser.. ^_^ :n64:

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
bluedogrulez
Apr 1 2013, 09:11 PM
If it is black ink, though, hairspray or magic eraser should do the trick.
***TAKES BOW***

Glad it worked. Pic of your shiny "new" cart?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Magic eraser, who would have thought??
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx