Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
RUMBLE PAK MOD; Look Ma, No Batteries!!!
Topic Started: Jul 20 2012, 11:08 AM (7,485 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
It is possible to mod your N64 rumble pak to work without batteries. But first, a disclaimer:

I claim ZERO credit for this. Grizzmeister originally posted this video (in the N64 Collection discussion), and one of our resident modder extraordinaires, Clarky, confirmed it works. Clarky explained the positive wire that runs from the N64 to the controller is 3.3v, is an adequate replacement for the 3.0v the 2 AAA batteries would otherwise provide.

Here is the video of the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEn6LT4DUNA&feature=player_embedded
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

willis82
This mod came from kiosks. Nintendo actually did this to kiosk rumble packs so shop owners wouldn't have to change batteries. They even went so far as to glue the battery doors shut. It's ok to run a rumble pack this way but never run 4 controllers with 4 modified packs, it draws too many amps through the ports and the system can't handle it. The kiosks came with disclaimers warning what would happen if you ran more than two modified packs on one system.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
After watching the video I modded one of my Rumble Paks and it works like a charm. In fact, I removed the resistor completely and just used a piece of wire between the two connection points with no ill effects to either my N64 or controller.

I use this Rumble Pak just about every time I play F-Zero X as the rumble feature adds so much to that particular game. Interestingly enough, although the Wii Virtual Console version of F-Zero X supports improved 480p graphics- even when playing with the GameCube controller it still doesn't provide a rumble feature. It's for this reason and some slight tearing on the VC version that I consider the N64 cartridge iteration of F-Zero X to be the definitive example of this awesome game.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
I finally got around to modding an OEM Rumble Pak to work without batteries.

I attempted to desolder the resistor, which proved difficult for my limited skills. So I cut it off, and opted for the Grizzmeister method of using a wire instead to make the new connection:

Posted Image

Note: The large silver dots are where the resistor was.

Here's shot of the other side of the board to give you a better idea where the new wire is soldered (under the second small "n" in Nintendo and atop "D2":

Posted Image

RESULT: It works! Without the resistor, it actually shakes more, or at least with least gradual modulation. I may attempt to integrate the removed resistor to alter the functionality to be idenitcal to its pre-mod days. Still pretty cool having a light-weight OEM rumble pak . . . now if I can creatively mark it so I don't keep getting it mixed up with my others. . . . :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Nice job! :yeah: The controller feels so much better being lighter doesn't it!?

It's also good to see you getting more involved in modding bluedogrulez. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you dare to mod next. Once you mod, you just can't stop :lol:
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Clarky: Ha! Thanks, man. Was just posting my other little project from last night. Think my hair might still smell a bit of singed wire and plastic, lol.

I've got a way bigger idea that is far beyond my capacity but the rusty gears are turning nevertheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
UPDATE: The "no-bat" pak works GREAT now after two adjustments. I soldered the resistor to the wire installed yesterday and placed PACKING PEANUTS where the batteries would go (to absorb misdirected vibrations). I actualy think the latter was the more critic step.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Aug 15 2012, 08:39 PM
UPDATE: The "no-bat" pak works GREAT now after two adjustments. I soldered the resistor to the wire installed yesterday and placed PACKING PEANUTS where the batteries would go (to absorb misdirected vibrations). I actualy think the latter was the more critic step.
Current would bypass the resistor so the packing peanuts probably made the bigger difference. I'll have to give that a try myself.

The Rumble Pak mod is really worthwhile as it lessens the weight of the unit which in my humble opinion is/was its greatest shortcoming.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

retrogamecraze
I'm definitely going to try this mod. Right now I only have an aftermarket rumble pak. Gonna get an OEM one then give it a shot.

PlayerOneStart
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Jul 20 2012, 11:08 AM
It is possible to mod your N64 rumble pak to work without batteries. But first, a disclaimer:

I claim ZERO credit for this. Grizzmeister originally posted this video (in the N64 Collection discussion), and one of our resident modder extraordinaires, Clarky, confirmed it works. Clarky explained the positive wire that runs from the N64 to the controller is 3.3v, is an adequate replacement for the 3.0v the 2 AAA batteries would otherwise provide.

Here is the video of the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEn6LT4DUNA&feature=player_embedded
sweet dude im going to try this tonight

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I brought a rumble pack from Ebay, when it turned up it had batteries had leaked inside. Swapping the batteries out didnt fix it so maybe this mod will.

Can someone confirm that i will need a GAMEBIT 3.8mm?
thanks
Edited by buddy1983, Sep 12 2012, 12:51 PM.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Also did the mod, it feels like the vibration is better now, or i just used almost empty batteries :P

For the misdirected vibrations i simply removed the metal plate that connects the batteries.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wii U Network ID: Esines

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
The vibration will be better as you're now feeding 3.3v to the rumble motor instead of 1.5v x 2 = 3v you get from AAA batteries.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
buddy1983
Sep 12 2012, 12:47 PM
I brought a rumble pack from Ebay, when it turned up it had batteries had leaked inside. Swapping the batteries out didnt fix it so maybe this mod will.

Can someone confirm that i will need a GAMEBIT 3.8mm?
thanks
This was also my motivation for modifying a Rumble Pak. The acid from the batteries had damaged the unit so I felt I had nothing to lose by performing the mod. Lo and behold the Rumble Pak worked brilliantly afterwards.

The gamebit necessary to open the Rumble Pak is indeed the same one used to open N64 cartridges 3.8mm.

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Thanks Grizz, I will order one and try my luck :yeah:
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
You can also try to melt a big pen with a lighter, then quickly put the pen on the screw.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Panda
Sep 14 2012, 02:08 PM
You can also try to melt a big pen with a lighter, then quickly put the pen on the screw.
Some people use this technique for opening the console.

Edited by Grizzmeister, Sep 14 2012, 09:19 PM.

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
SO i finally ordered a game bit and openned up my rumble pack to find this

Spoiler: click to toggle

Spoiler: click to toggle

To me the board looks really corroded, is it worth trying this mod? All the writting has come off the board too
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
This one looks broken, you can try it but i don't think it will work.

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Wash the board in warm soapy water and leave it to dry in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. It should work with the rumble pak mod.

The plastic pen method does work, but only on consoles as the rumble pak gamebit screws are too small and recessed.

Punk64
Member Avatar
Are there any guides for someone who has never used a soldering iron before or any tips on using a soldering iron? I'm gonna try and attempt this at the weekend >_<
Current PAL Collection (Cart Only) #26

sanni
Member Avatar
The best tip I can give you is to use additional solder flux and a very hot iron and only touch the thing you want to solder for 1-2 seconds. It makes soldering super easy.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Punk64
Dec 31 2012, 07:11 AM
Are there any guides for someone who has never used a soldering iron before or any tips on using a soldering iron? I'm gonna try and attempt this at the weekend >_<
There are a lot of good videos showing how to properly solder and desolder on Youtube. I suggest watching those before attempting this mod on an official Nintendo Rumble Pak.

Posted Image

CoachLuke22
Member Avatar
Panda
Sep 14 2012, 02:08 PM
I tried doing this but I couldnt get it to work. After melting a handful of pens I gave up and ordered the gamebit haha
N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

FoxC
Member Avatar
Annual Visitor
retrogamecraze
Aug 16 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm definitely going to try this mod. Right now I only have an aftermarket rumble pak. Gonna get an OEM one then give it a shot.
The mod works on third-party rumble/tremor packs as well. That's all I had when I heard about the mod; I decided to open it up and see if I could make enough sense to adapt the mod. I think I found some schematics someone posted that corresponded with my tremor pack which saved some time. If you have the same tremor pack as me or have some electronics experience, it is easy enough to adapt the mod; you just have to find the +3.3v rail received from the controller and wire it to the positive battery lead. Here is the topic I posted about it:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41022

I actually did the mod on a tremor pack where a battery began to corrode; from what I remember, it wouldn't work with fresh batteries even after I cleaned it. After the mod, it works without the weight! I agree that the reduced weight is probably the biggest plus.

As you may read in responses from the benheck community, 1, maybe 2, rumble packs without batteries should be okay - if you know more about electronics/care enough about the added (electric) noise, you can add the components recommended in the last post.
Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Got an solder unit yesterday and after some training I will try my luck at a rumble pak. So excited :toad:

+

Sorry, I have never heard of packing peanuts before. Do you mean something like this?

Posted Image
:n64: = :)
Always many PAL games for sale:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7338905/1

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Exactly! Finally, a post shipping use for those little buggers, right?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
:w00t: It works. I soldered like a noob but you really can't do anything wrong doing the mod :) The first thing I've soldered. What a great feeling :mario:

Are there maybe other easy mods on this level that you know about?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Congrats, Heinrold! It is a great feeling when a soldering project works!

The only thing I've done along these lines with an N64 is to swap C-Up and C-R functions. Why? If you have a game where you want to tilt your vehicle left or right (read: Star Wars E1 Racer), its so much better if C-L and C-Up used. There a thread in the Modding section on this.

Of course, if you want to be really bold, you could solder in a LodgeNet thumbstick to you N64 controller board . . . . you now have the skill to do so :yeah:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heinrold
Member Avatar
Thank you for your suggestion. At the moment, my free time is gone again but when I get bored somewhen I will watch how it works to change the LodgeNet Stick.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: