Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
S-VIDEO & PAL
Topic Started: Aug 7 2012, 02:45 AM (6,544 Views)
buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Hi

Does anyone know if a S-video cable works for pal N64's. i have read that the picture is too bright on pals and there is a work around but not too sure about it.

If anyone knows anything that would be great, would really like to improve the picture on my HDTV as its really bad at the moment.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
No, it doesnt. the N64 doesnt produce a S-Video signal.
Using a different cable does not magically alter the signal it carrries (alas!)

AFAIK some early NTSC consoles can be modded to support RGB output but that's it.
We're stuck with composite video

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Shame, thanks anayway
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

It's a crying shame isn't it? When older consoles like the Sega Master System can do S-video!

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Even worse that the USA version of a console can have better picture then the Pal version. Doesnt make sense to me
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Looks like someone solved your problem...

Quote:

Good news for PAL N64 owners sick if shitty composite video, I've found the solution.

Recently on a thread someone said that s-video worked on PAL N64's. My bull**** alarm sounded but curiosity got the better of me and I had a look. Seems I was right and wrong. S-video does work on the PAL N64 but Nintendo left out components so that it doesn't work properly. The video displays but all the colours are ultra bright and over saturated. However I stumbled across a thread about someone that hardwired a s-video cable to the N64 console and added the extra components himself and got it to work. There was a message on the thread saying you could mod the s-video cable itself with the components for a cleaner mod.

Anyway was on consolegoods.co.uk and saw that rob had modded s-video cables for sale so inquired and seems these cables would work on a PAL system but not NTSC so I took a chance.

The cable arrived today and I can happily report it works beautifully. The picture quality is amazing. No more dot crawling and the colours are far more vivid. To the naked eye there's no difference between this and RGB. I tried Perfect Dark which is massively improved by this cable. Goldeneye was improved as well but less so since it seems to over use the N64 blur and looks absolutely terrible anyway. Other games like Mario 64, Mario Kart and 2D games like Mischief Makers really are substantially improved.

Now the difference between composite and s-video on the N64 isn't as amazing as the difference between composite and RGB on a megadrive and the SNES because of the awful N64 anti aliasing blur. if you look at the edge of a polygon instead of a diagonal with a staircase effect going up it you have pixels smudged randomly along the edge which looks even worse. Still I highly recommend this cable because even with Nintendos awful anti aliasing this cable is a massive improvement over AV composite.

i've ordered stuff from consolegoods.co.uk in the past without any problem.
Edited by Mk II, Aug 7 2012, 08:17 AM.
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
thanks I'll look into this
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Or get yourself a French PAL N64. These can be modified to use RGB.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I just got a cheapo 3rd party (redundant, i know) N64 a/V and S cable (vendor: quick buys on Amazon.com) for my NTSC console. The picture on my old tube TV is at least as good as with the OEM A/V cables. I actually think it is perceptibly better (but my comparison pics werent telling).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thank you Mk II for the link, will order one.
Wii U Network ID: Esines

Punk64
Member Avatar
Does anyone know if it's possible to attempt the PAL S-Video mod yourself?

I can't seem to find any guides about it anywhere and it's currently out of stock on consolegoods.co.uk :(
Current PAL Collection (Cart Only) #26

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Punk64
Sep 10 2012, 02:21 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to attempt the PAL S-Video mod yourself?

I can't seem to find any guides about it anywhere and it's currently out of stock on consolegoods.co.uk :(
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?37466-Yet-another-RGB-modded-PAL-N64

I shall attempt this at some point so I'll post my results as and when I have a chance to do it.

Punk64
Member Avatar
clarky_n64
Sep 10 2012, 04:54 AM
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?37466-Yet-another-RGB-modded-PAL-N64

I shall attempt this at some point so I'll post my results as and when I have a chance to do it.
hmm I have no idea what is going on in those pictures, probably best I stay away from attempting that :P

but I look forward to seeing what you can do!

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
This is also very intresting, it's some kind of board you solder on any N64 to allow VGA output.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43034&start=60

Posted Image
Edited by Panda, Sep 12 2012, 02:36 AM.

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Awesome find Panda, but will it work on a PAL console (haven't read the benheck post yet)

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Quote:

marshallh wrote:
This mod can be done on any N64 made, the plan is to make it work with all regions

Looks promising ^_^

btw: ordered a s-video pal cable from consolegoods.co.uk, it ships this friday.
Edited by Panda, Sep 12 2012, 03:32 PM.

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Got the cable, first it didn't work wiggled the cable a bit then worked for a few minutes. Now it's again not working, only sound come through.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Not good, have you contacted them?
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Yes, at first he thought it couldn't be the cable, but after showing him video of the problem he offered to replace the cable.

So have to wait for a new one.

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Shipping costs are probaly higher than the cable itself, so i decided to just fix it myself.

There was a loose wire causing the problem.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
How's the picture now you have a working cable, worth the money /effort
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
Mk II
Aug 7 2012, 05:44 AM
No, it doesnt. the N64 doesnt produce a S-Video signal.
Using a different cable does not magically alter the signal it carrries (alas!)

AFAIK some early NTSC consoles can be modded to support RGB output but that's it.
We're stuck with composite video

Yes, Early NTSC and NTSC-J had the capability built in but the pin connectors were removed shortly before release for some reason. I didn't know they had been modded but it's possible in this way only on NTSC and NTSC-J: Adding RGB to an N64 There's already a thread on this method.

That said there's ANOTHER mod that works for PAL: RGB modded PAL It's an Aussie website and says the mod requires a replacement RGB dac or something, which looks like what the fellow on the forum did as well. Quite a bit more complicated unfortunately, of course, because PAL N64's never had the RGB built in.
Edited by Peach'sCakeIsALie, Oct 4 2012, 04:13 PM.
NTSC

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Interesting, but way too complicated for me.

I will put up some pics tomorrow to get a comparison.

suretie
Member Avatar
Spook s-video cable works for pal n64. Might not on the coloured one but Defo does on the grey. Bought loads of them and this is the only one that has worked. There's been one on amazon uk for a few week now, might of gone I was going to get it for a spare.
They left components out of the pal consoles resistors and stuff. So pal s-video cables are made different to compensate. Some say s-video was left out altogether in later pal ones coloured ones. Spook s-video if I connect it to my ntsc console comes out darker.
Edited by suretie, Oct 25 2012, 08:19 PM.
Farewell happy fields were joy for ever dwells hail horrors hail ( John Milton, Paradise Lost)

Punk64
Member Avatar
I also bought one of Consolegoods, really good service and it works great. Really nice improvement (I was using the aerial connection before), only negative is the cable is a little short but nothing major.

suretie
Member Avatar
Retested the Spook cable again against a monster cable and others on the ntsc console there is no darkness issues with the spook cable.
Farewell happy fields were joy for ever dwells hail horrors hail ( John Milton, Paradise Lost)

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
Is the Consolegoods cable worth buying then?

I'm on a whole new learning curve for the N64!! :w00t:
Posted ImagePAL Collection No.2 148/243Posted Image

PM me to get added to the N64 Forever Members Map

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
My cable from consolegoods arrived this morning (I actually bought 2)

They didn't have any in stock when I enquired but got some about 10 days later

So I'll give it a try tonight :yeah:
Punk64
Nov 3 2012, 08:49 AM
I also bought one of Consolegoods, really good service and it works great. Really nice improvement (I was using the aerial connection before), only negative is the cable is a little short but nothing major.
My cables are 2 meter, maybe they have extended them?
Edited by Highlander, Feb 18 2013, 08:11 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
let us know how you go, still considering this
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
It works!

The picture is noticeably better, not a huge difference but it is definitely clearer/less pixellated AND its solved my volume issue! :lol:

When using the Scart setup the volume was a lot louder on the N64 AV channel than it was for the TV so I had to remember to turn it down before switching over or it scared the crap out of me!!

Now the volume levels are the same. :lol:

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: